+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: came back after 1.5 years and it's shocking the state of the game

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    92

    Default came back after 1.5 years and it's shocking the state of the game

    I'll start by saying I love Rift for the most part. Aside from the vomit of currencies and the store, it's a really solid game.

    The expansion from 65 to 70 was pretty terrible, but tolerable. Only tolerable after being a patron for a month. The biggest change I've seen is that the player base is about non-existent except for a few zones where on an event boss you can maybe count 40 to 60 people. And by looking at their gear, they've been playing forever .

    It's not a very good game for the casual player, not at all. Thus is why most of the players like myself come back for a few months and give up. No community for the part timers.

    Instant adventures are terrible because of how repetitive they are in the expansion and the voice over makes you just want to log out and call it a day.

    Lack of content is just plain shocking. It use to take quite a while to get bored in vanilla Rift, even the plain of water was really, really unique, good! This expansion is very bad. 3 weeks into it and I'm pretty much alone because I don't raid, and dungeon queues are so bad, it's just not worth the time. Even my MMO addicted Daughter quit after 30 days, and went back to EverQuest.

    Even as F2P they have a good engine to work with, I just don't get the lack of attention going into content from the devs. Either they are burnt out on the game, or the resources are dried up.

    Dev's. You guys did a great job on getting a decent storyline for this game. Bring in some young talent, affordable with fresh ideas. Keep your working capital down and the cash flow in balance. You can bring some of the shine back to the game, and hopefully more people.
    Last edited by Xio Narius; 02-12-2018 at 01:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Almost my exact reaction upon returning. Was pretty disappointed about it, loved rift years ago. The newest expac seemed very lazy to me and after running in circles for a couple hours and then being queued for dungeons my entire online time without a pop I decided to just go deal with horrible performance issues in a much better MMO. (My pc died so I'm using an old one until I buy a new one, rift runs fine on it but the boredom isn't worth it). To top it off I'm met with hostility and problems for expressing my love of the game and suggestions for a better future of rift. I cannot get behind the latest prime decision since it seems like a completely terrible idea considering the state of the game, at least how it's being executed.

  3. #3
    BMX
    BMX is online now
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    With the loss of several devs in 2017 along with the understaffing that was already there we were brought 4.x. Yus, it's lacking on many levels.

    Que takes a millennium cause most peeps doing that content are going in as a premade.

    Prime is not going to help matters. At this point, it's abundantly clear that maintenance of what we have is not being met, yet they wanna do a P2P server with everything "Intrepid" or a repeat with an accelerated progression path.

    A better investment would be a massive expansion with each and every soul made viable along with 20 man raids and the return of CQ. New instances released at regular intervals would keep it groovin... Clearly, this would mean a hiring spree at Trion, following a major infusion from investors. The 1m question, Can they do it???
    Banned

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    With the loss of several devs in 2017 along with the understaffing that was already there we were brought 4.x. Yus, it's lacking on many levels.

    Que takes a millennium cause most peeps doing that content are going in as a premade.

    Prime is not going to help matters. At this point, it's abundantly clear that maintenance of what we have is not being met, yet they wanna do a P2P server with everything "Intrepid" or a repeat with an accelerated progression path.

    A better investment would be a massive expansion with each and every soul made viable along with 20 man raids and the return of CQ. New instances released at regular intervals would keep it groovin... Clearly, this would mean a hiring spree at Trion, following a major infusion from investors. The 1m question, Can they do it???
    My educated quess is a firm no. We're steadily losing staff. We were literally told "LOL idk how we'd even begin to try balancing 3000+ soul combinations". We haven't gotten any meaningful updates or content lately and honestly the tinkering with eternal which should of happened much sooner (better yet set up correctly to begin with) was just to calm initial prime malice. We continue to just get retouched skins in pay to loot boxes and now any hope of any worthwhile updates are on hold for prime. I don't see prime being successful, it might lure in some people enough to keep things a float a little while longer but I don't see it being the saving grace of rift or anywhere near it.

    Mind you I'd drop 100$ on patron and much more in credits regularly in a heartbeat if even like 50% of the community's major suggestions were implemented. I hate gambling and RNG(I have baddddd luck) and I'd rather not drop 100 $ rolling lootboxes or have to buy rex just so I have the plat to sort through all the rng fragments nor do I have the time to grind endlessly with no hope at achieving what I want to begin with. So knowing all this isn't even being addressed (plus a lot more) is pretty discouraging
    Last edited by Liitke; 02-12-2018 at 11:55 AM.

  5. #5
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    892

    Default

    The Dev team has lost members without replacements at a constant rate since the launch of this expansion. They are unable to produce meaningfull content any longer.

    They do not have the man power for even basic class updates. We haven't had a new dungeon in a year, the depressing fragment system was promised to be updated months ago, open world content is just a hard grind for a world currency, the new zone was supposed to be interesting dynamic content but was just a daily quest zone with 4 identical zone events. Crafting is mostly non existent other than two items for each class. No guild updates in years, No Planar Attunement update since last expansion.

    With all of these problems and a really small development team, they decided to start a new project called Prime. I am clueless as to why.
    Last edited by Balidin; 02-12-2018 at 01:11 PM.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    With the loss of several devs in 2017 along with the understaffing that was already there we were brought 4.x. Yus, it's lacking on many levels.

    Que takes a millennium cause most peeps doing that content are going in as a premade.

    Prime is not going to help matters. At this point, it's abundantly clear that maintenance of what we have is not being met, yet they wanna do a P2P server with everything "Intrepid" or a repeat with an accelerated progression path.

    A better investment would be a massive expansion with each and every soul made viable along with 20 man raids and the return of CQ. New instances released at regular intervals would keep it groovin... Clearly, this would mean a hiring spree at Trion, following a major infusion from investors. The 1m question, Can they do it???
    i think this game need a new engine. i know there is no way but the engine ist the death of this game.

  7. #7
    Shield of Telara Sarasyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Been there, done that. I re-subbed back in August after a two year lay off from Rift. The first thing I noticed was that almost everyone was level 70 and geared to the max. Wow,,I must have been gone forever, and started to grind my way to level 70, and then started to grind for Vostigar Vet's armor in hopes of getting into a raid group. The only way I could achieve this membership is to go as support Chon, which I hate. I'm really bad at melee thru macros, as I'm more comfortable as long distant dps mage. But therein lies the problem. Most raids and dungeons won't accept anything under 600Kdps. You need gear, and maxed Eternal, and maxed frags. Join a guild? I did only to be the Chon Support I mentioned. Then re-roll a rogue, no thanks I'm bad at it. So, I'm destined to be a casual, like it or not, and started a guild of just me and my 6 alts,lol. Me, myself, and I, still enjoy the game and will hang on to see what comes to Rift in the future.
    Just, comfortably numb....

  8. #8
    BMX
    BMX is online now
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarasyn View Post
    Been there, done that. I re-subbed back in August after a two year lay off from Rift. The first thing I noticed was that almost everyone was level 70 and geared to the max. Wow,,I must have been gone forever, and started to grind my way to level 70, and then started to grind for Vostigar Vet's armor in hopes of getting into a raid group. The only way I could achieve this membership is to go as support Chon, which I hate. I'm really bad at melee thru macros, as I'm more comfortable as long distant dps mage. But therein lies the problem. Most raids and dungeons won't accept anything under 600Kdps. You need gear, and maxed Eternal, and maxed frags. Join a guild? I did only to be the Chon Support I mentioned. Then re-roll a rogue, no thanks I'm bad at it. So, I'm destined to be a casual, like it or not, and started a guild of just me and my 6 alts,lol. Me, myself, and I, still enjoy the game and will hang on to see what comes to Rift in the future.
    Mage has been relegated to chon, chloro since 4.1 dropped. Why, you might ask? Because the team refused to leave it alone after buffing it for 4.0. This destroyed the class outright. I stopped playing mage with 4.1 because it plain sucks right out loud! I played mage from beta til then with no issue other than got sick to death of pyro being the only choice during NT if I wasn't tanking. That lead to taking a sabbatical from Rift until NT was out and SP dropped.

    The lack of effort to keep the soul system viable, the lack of content along with 20 man raids being history has done wonders to decimate the population as has RNG gambling addiction.
    Banned

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    Mage has been relegated to chon, chloro since 4.1 dropped. Why, you might ask? Because the team refused to leave it alone after buffing it for 4.0. This destroyed the class outright. I stopped playing mage with 4.1 because it plain sucks right out loud! I played mage from beta til then with no issue other than got sick to death of pyro being the only choice during NT if I wasn't tanking. That lead to taking a sabbatical from Rift until NT was out and SP dropped.
    bad mages will be bad

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara Mordrahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtheskull View Post
    mages will be bad
    until they get gear, and maxed Eternal, and maxed frags. Then they become acceptable if you like having 2 classes doing far more dps than yourself with same gear.
    So yes mages are only taken as support in HL raids.

    Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaub4r View Post
    i think this game need a new engine. i know there is no way but the engine ist the death of this game.
    I think Rift can't change the engine it have. I don't think is a bad engine just need a lot small upgrades and models updates. Even Art team do a great good job on a lot models been added to the game with this engine. I just think they don't have the big team to do so.
    Last edited by Zaber; 02-14-2018 at 07:04 AM.

  12. #12
    BMX
    BMX is online now
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtheskull View Post
    bad mages will be bad
    Or they got in bed with the RNG Gods...
    Banned

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    458

    Default

    long time player here as well. I find that the instant adventures killed the game. there's next to no exploration to do once you hit level 10 you go do instant adventures you literally skip out on 99.99% of all the hard work they put into actual zones LOL.at some point I had characters in every server. now I'm only using my top 5-6 toons the rest I deleted.i am waiting for some serious changes to the game.... which might be forever.i just want my patron to expire so I can remove my card information and just be done with the game.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaber View Post
    I think Rift can't change the engine it have. I don't think is a bad engine just need a lot small upgrades and models updates.
    This is something they already had to think about especially with all this competition in the genre that comes every year... Although I believe an eye catching world will make the first impression more vivid, it is the community and the gameplay that will make you stay or move on in the MMO industry. Rift and ESO use the same engine. Check both states of these games...

    Quote Originally Posted by sofeorus View Post
    (...) I find that the instant adventures killed the game. there's next to no exploration to do once you hit level 10 you go do instant adventures you literally skip out on 99.99% of all the hard work they put into actual zones LOL.
    On the contray, it was the instant adventure which made the fast leveling and the "catchup with your mates" thing, more appealing to all the returning players. The existance of that choice did not harm the game. You could always choose between the fast leveling system the game offered you and the solo experience if you would like to explore the world. A lot of players did the explortation with their main char. They wanted their next toon to catch up fast its big brother/sister. The instant adventures were the answer to that problem and a selling point for the Rift game. Back then when the devs were actually listening to what the player base needed...

  15. #15
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldar View Post
    Rift and ESO use the same engine. Check both states of these games...
    Rift uses a modified Gamebryo Engine
    ESO is built on a custom, in house engine. In its early development Hero engine was used for prototyping and some early work but it was realized that it didn't meet Zenimax's requirements, so they shifted to a proprietary platform. While some middleware is used for subsystems (havok is leveraged for some physics and collision detection for example, and was enabled a brief time before the game launched through today), the game isn't built on top of any specific platform. If you Google around you can find some very old tech discussion interviews laying out this story. More recently, post launch, FaceFX integration was added to improve characters' facial morphs and animations in line with their voiceovers, as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts