+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Rift Prime Servers

Lightbulb Rift Prime Servers

Look, let's be realistic for a moment. With every non-prime server on "low" population, I think it's time to consider closing some of these bad boys down in favor of Rift Prime.

To me, it's clear that (if nothing else) Trion have realized that F2P has failed them. Rift went from a slew of "medium"-pop servers (with a few "high"-pop here and there) to the state it's in now after F2P.

My point is that this is that Prime is, as I see, Trion's last chance to return to form with Rift. If Prime bombs, it's game over (IMO). Which leads me to the point of this thread. In terms of Prime servers, on launch, there should be:
    • 1 EU normal server
    • 1 EU PVP server
    • 1 EU RP server
    • 1 US normal server
    • 1 US PVP server
    • 1 US RP server

I'm probably very, VERY, alone in the following opinion but I'm essentially willing to ax whatever needs axing from current-Rift to achieve this. If Trion have merge 3 current-Rift servers to accomplish the above-mentioned setup for Rift Prime, then I think they should do it and never look back.

As mentioned, I see this as a last-ditch effort. You don't want this effort to alienate people interested in this concept, and limiting people to a server type they don't want to play on sounds like a great way to do that.
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 02-11-2018 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Phrasing

Soulwalker

I think things are going very well for Rift right now. It's found a small community that is able to support it's continued development. The game doesn't feel underpopulated on any given server any more than before. My wife and I have been having a blast going through the game again. Even though we can't queue for group content the "single" player and occasional group event make it quite fun.

The current tech that brings in players from other servers and/or shard swapping to me means there is no reason to shrink servers anymore. In fact if you did it'd cause more problems - especially when farming for rares or other shard specific events.

Rift Prime is sure to bring in a large burst of new/old players for a good length of time but I don't think it's a saving grace for Rift. A boon to be sure (and a great idea) but not the only reason Rift would have continued.

It's all up to the ones in charge, if there is even the smallest amount of profit then there is no reason to consider shut down.

Isp
    Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Haikon View Post
    I think things are going very well for Rift right now.
    That's why we get grind instead of content in last expansion. And you can get black tier for $250 instead of $7000 as before. And rift prime is just current rift without cash shop and some stuff disabled, and nothing new which is relatively cheap to do. And people leave rift team without replacement. Things are going very well indeed /s
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haikon View Post
    I think things are going very well for Rift right now.
    We are all entitled to our opinions, and so are you, but I do not agree. Every server on Rift is running on "low" and it's been doing so for (what must be approaching) years. There is no combination of words that will allow one to make that appear as anything but a crippling defeat compared to the once "high" and "medium" we used to have.

An MMO where (as you yourself said) group content is borderline no longer possible due to lack of players cannot be described as healthy by any stretch of the imagination. Rift Prime is either a resurgence, if handled well, or a death rattle if not.
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 02-11-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

BMX
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    Look, let's be realistic for a moment. With every non-prime server on "low" population, I think it's time to consider closing some of these bad boys down in favor of Rift Prime.

To me, it's clear that (if nothing else) Trion have realized that F2P has failed them. Rift went from a slew of "medium"-pop servers (with a few "high"-pop here and there) to the state it's in now after F2P.

My point is that this is that Prime is, as I see, Trion's last chance to return to form with Rift. If Prime bombs, it's game over (IMO). Which leads me to the point of this thread. In terms of Prime servers, on launch, there should be:
    • 1 EU normal server
    • 1 EU PVP server
    • 1 EU RP server
    • 1 US normal server
    • 1 US PVP server
    • 1 US RP server

I'm probably very, VERY, alone in the following opinion but I'm essentially willing to ax whatever needs axing from current-Rift to achieve this. If Trion have merge 3 current-Rift servers to accomplish the above-mentioned setup for Rift Prime, then I think they should do it and never look back.

As mentioned, I see this as a last-ditch effort. You don't want this effort to alienate people interested in this concept, and limiting people to a server type they don't want to play on sounds like a great way to do that.
    Rift has had convergence of the shards in the past. We started out with 38 that were pared down to 16 to the current 7. So shard convergence is not new. Prime does have a major impact on live with the current team being grossly understaffed and incapable of maintaining what we have.

4.x came out as a micro expansion for the same reason. People need to understand the size of the team that developed the SL expansion and also remember that it was inclusive with your subscription.

If they did a real expansion on the level of SL, I for one would gladly go back to S2P since that would be an effort worthy of support financially. To have paid for 4.x only to find out that raiding and PvP were largely nonexistent was disappointing.

Prime server is an accelerated repeat. We already saw that film and should be on regular TV not PPV.

Get the team the hands that are sorely needed. Go back to vanilla and chocolate and get in form to develop the best expansion ever. Make it at minimum, the size of SL, complete with 10 and 20 man raids. New PvP is required. New Volan style zone events are required. Gambling is strictly forbidden on all levels! Notoriety will be relevant once more with Venerated required for BiS essences and fragments, none of which involve RNG. Especially fragments!! Fragments shall have an upgrade path like planar crafted or armor/weapons. Once this is under way and sorted, a promotional campaign shall begin. This would entice returning players as well as new players investigating what the hubbub is all about.

In 2012, Rift exceeded 1m players. Think about how big a number that is with S2P coming in each month. A massive number, indeed! The current paying playerbase doesn't even make a down payment on that, PERIOD! That could have us enjoying some exquisite expansions and content but unfortunately, it was pissed away. Below is a wikipedia link that might shed some light on the history of Rift

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_(video_game)

The only redemption is to bring out some extremely great content with excellent maintenance following. Along with eliminating the gambling addiction that seems rampant.

Task is in Trion's dojo. The upper management should be on task with a business plan and forecast of the revenue expected so they can approach the investors to make it come to fruition. If not, perhaps it's time to get new management to get this off the ground.

Frankly, we have the franchise, yus, it's in trouble, yus it needs the overhaul both in content and direction, but that needs effort put forth.
    Banned

Plane Walker

So you're saying to merge some of the current servers so that PRIME can have more?

I definitely couldn't get behind that. Sorry. I've already been punted from Shatterbone, my original server, to Wolfsbane. I know I'm not the only one; I know there were a lot of servers at one time, and I know there are even some poor souls who have been punted to new servers at least twice, losing friends and guild groups along the way.

Every day when I log in I get punted around from server to server, and I immediately return to Wolfsbane. I don't like it, but I deal with it because I can instantly go back to my home server.

You want to talk game over? Merging any more current servers, and punting people around AGAIN—that would be "game over" for some, if not many, current players.

I agree that PRIME should cater to multiple playstyles to have the best chance of success, but taking away servers from the current live game to give more servers to PRIME is not a good idea, IMO.

Dimensions on Wolfsbane

Apothecaria Lyceum & Retreat
    Weaver's Rest
    Setting the Scene Contest Entry: Lucy Looks into a Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvaene View Post
    You want to talk game over? Merging any more current servers, and punting people around AGAIN—that would be "game over" for some, if not many, current players.
    I belive that is necessary sacrifice. The big play here is an attempt to get old people back and re-stabilize Rift as the game it was pre-F2P (as I see it).

If you're someone who really enjoyed the wPVP, then you're not going to come back to be forced to play on a "normal" server. Same goes for RP'ers who have very specific requirements of the communities that gather on their server.

If my big passion in Rift was PVP and there is no PVP server available for me in Prime, why in God's name would I care about Prime at all?

BMX
    Champion

I belive that is necessary sacrifice. The big play here is an attempt to get old people back and re-stabilize Rift as the game it was pre-F2P (as I see it).

If you're someone who really enjoyed the wPVP, then you're not going to come back to be forced to play on a "normal" server. Same goes for RP'ers who have very specific requirements of the communities that gather on their server.

If my big passion in Rift was PVP and there is no PVP server available for me in Prime, why in God's name would I care about Prime at all?
    How much more can we afford to lose before Rift goes Devilian?
    Prime is only a distraction from live. Will it bring players back for a repeat that goes poof and your progression is up in smoke? Hardly!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    How much more can we afford to lose before Rift goes Devilian?
    Prime is only a distraction from live. Will it bring players back for a repeat that goes poof and your progression is up in smoke? Hardly!
    It is purely speculation on my part, but I think Rift already HAS lost enough to go Devilian. The reality of the situation is that Rift has been dragging in "low"-pop for quite a while now. I doubt Trion's seen profit from this game in months, maybe even years.

I'd go as far as to wager that either Prime literally turns Rift around, or this game will (in your terms) "go Devilian" in 2019.

They better do it right, and alienating 2/3's of your "old" playerbase by not welcoming them back on Prime servers of the right type isn't going to win them any good faith. Something the company desperately needs.
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 02-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.

BMX
    Champion

It is purely speculation on my part, but I think Rift already HAS lost enough to go Devilian. The reality of the situation is that Rift has been dragging in "low"-pop for quite a while now. I doubt Trion's seen profit from this game in months, maybe even years.

I'd go as far as to wager that either Prime literally turns Rift around, or this game will (in your terms) "go Devilian" in 2019.

They better do it right, and alienating 2/3's of your "old" playerbase by not welcoming them back on Prime servers of the right type isn't going to win them any good faith. Something the company desperately needs.
    I do agree with you on one point, the loss of playerbase and Devilian...

S2P repeat content that has been adjusted to accelerate progression, only to knowingly have it go away in 12 months is not likely to lure many back with the expectation we, the community are willing to pay for that. With tweaking old files to achieve this, the thought that it will be a major effort is laughable at best.

They better do it right, alienating the masses was already performed with 4.0 and its inherent lack of content and gambling addiction (aka RNG)

What is required at this point is an expansion the size of Storm Legion, complete with 20 man along with 10 man. Gambling with DRR's and IRC's as poker chips needs to be outta here. The essences can be listed discretely on the RIftStore and be based on notoriety levels, just like they were in SL, without gambling!! Yes, I am fed up with the stupid gambling for fragments and essences. Lightening up on the excessive grind would be another item to resolve as well since this has sent many folks on their way to other games and rl options.

While I am not being adversarial, I firmly believe Prime is not the direction to get it together. It does require a substantial investment to get back on track, starting with the dev team being properly staffed for an endeavor as large as SL was. NO, I am not suggesting repeating SL, I am suggesting NEW content as opposed to the Intrepid Rift Server. Old content is just that, old content. For heavens sake, let's move forward without the rubbish and gambling already!!!
    Last edited by BMX; 02-11-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    I do agree with you on one point, the loss of playerbase and Devilian...

S2P repeat content that has been adjusted to accelerate progression, only to knowingly have it go away in 12 months is not likely to lure many back with the expectation we, the community are willing to pay for that. With tweaking old files to achieve this, the thought that it will be a major effort is laughable at best.

They better do it right, alienating the masses was already performed with 4.0 and its inherent lack of content and gambling addiction (aka RNG)

What is required at this point is an expansion the size of Storm Legion, complete with 20 man along with 10 man. Gambling with DRR's and IRC's as poker chips needs to be outta here. The essences can be listed discretely on the RIftStore and be based on notoriety levels, just like they were in SL, without gambling!! Yes, I am fed up with the stupid gambling for fragments and essences. Lightening up on the excessive grind would be another item to resolve as well since this has sent many folks on their way to other games and rl options.

While I am not being adversarial, I firmly believe Prime is not the direction to get it together. It does require a substantial investment to get back on track, starting with the dev team being properly staffed for an endeavor as large as SL was. NO, I am not suggesting repeating SL, I am suggesting NEW content as opposed to the Intrepid Rift Server. Old content is just that, old content. For heavens sake, let's move forward without the rubbish and gambling already!!!
    I will openly admit that what you call gambling is a huge problem in Rift right now, and consider Prime a great chance for Trion to slice that cancer out of the body.

However I do not agree in your desire to see major, large-scale expansions as a cure for the underlying problem. The problem with Rift isn't that it lacks content. The problem with Rift is that there's no one around to actually do that content.

And I think we can all agree that the majority of old players dropped off post-F2P.

Prime feels like an attempt to get us back on the track before that fatal move was made. Expansion-size and quantity of content are always going to be secondary if they can't make a world filled with players who actually experience it.

No one, not even Trion, are going to make a huge expansion pack for a bunch of half-dead-to-low servers. However, if Prime takes off and Trion successfully get people to come back and play on THEIR desired server type, then we can suddenly talk large expansions again because then it makes sense to do so.
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 02-11-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Phrasing

Sadly I don't believe Prime will draw many of the old players back unless it's a genuine chocolate Rift experience that is permanent regardless of the server type or quantity, remember the devs have stated Prime is an experiment and as such limited to one server.

I agree though, if Prime is successful post "experiment" there should be different ruleset servers.

The best chance for Prime to be successful would have been to do something similar to Old School RuneScape which has been wildly successful over the last 5 years. Players get to vote on patches and its treated as a totally separate game from the main game. Unfortunately Prime has went a different direction.
    Last edited by C00lit; 02-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Telaran

• 1 EU normal server
    • 1 EU PVP server
    • 1 EU RP server
    • 1 US normal server
    • 1 US PVP server
    • 1 US RP server

Isn't pvp limited to live when Prime drops? Why have a pvp server when there is no pvp there?
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 02-11-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Don't think the F2P as failed them is more hitting the right mark on content, more quality life stuff, and cash shop decision.

Prime still unknown what is going happen. It can end up with so many people wanted to get in or just rarely anyone around.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaber View Post
    Don't think the F2P as failed them
    Rift went from "medium-to-high" on every server for years, then F2P hit, it went "high" for a few weeks, and then every server hit "low". Not once has it ever even surfaced to "medium" on any server ever again.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I'd argue that there exists no possible interpretation that F2P has not failed. Every bad decision Trion ever made either came as a result or a reaction to them choosing to go F2P.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast