+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Rift Prime Servers

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    Rift went from "medium-to-high" on every server for years, then F2P hit, it went "high" for a few weeks, and then every server hit "low". Not once has it ever even surfaced to "medium" on any server ever again.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I'd argue that there exists no possible interpretation that F2P has not failed. Every bad decision Trion ever made either came as a result or a reaction to them choosing to go F2P.
    It was certainly the reason I stopped playing.

The way the store was integrated by opening during NPC interactions, being able to purchase gear (regardless of its level) and certain items locked behind paywalls like event stuff even though I paid a sub changed the tone of the game.

It felt tacky and like nothing was worth doing anymore because it could be outright bought and didn't have to be earned anymore.
    Last edited by C00lit; 02-12-2018 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C00lit View Post
    It was certainly the reason I stopped playing.

The way the store was integrated by opening during NPC interactions, being able to purchase gear (regardless of its level) and certain items locked behind paywalls like event stuff even though I paid a sub changed the tone of the game.

It felt tacky and like nothing was worth doing anymore because it could be outright bought and didn't have to be earned anymore.
    Your post encompassed my feelings perfectly. For me, the peak came when me and a friend were dueling. I won every time, claiming my build was just better than his for 1v1. So he jumped on the store, spent 20 bucks on some credits, and bought some better armor right there on the spot and beat me.

Of course it was incredibly petty of him, but it showed me just how deep the game had fallen.

Yes us old players are going to return and pay for old unchanged content that we have already done, with broken souls nobody will fix, unable to play souls we have already paid for, start at lvl 1 again and race to lvl and conquer prime before everything shuts down at the end of the cycle, wherein we wil be unable to play said toons.

Seriously?

Either Rift Live is fixed and more time spent on solving the problems there or its the end of the road.

I agree with server merges and i wouldnt cry if the cashshop disappeared or most of its content removed but to move ahead you need new content and the state of PvP repaired.
    Purrr@Deepwood, Meowie@Deepwood, Purrfect@Faeblight, Purrdie@Faebight + others

Karma..what goes around comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Purrr View Post
    I agree with server merges and i wouldnt cry if the cashshop disappeared or most of its content removed but to move ahead you need new content and the state of PvP repaired.
    As I see it, Prime isn't an attempt to move ahead. It isn't an attempt to fix what's already broken. Which Live Rift is. Fundamentally.

Prime feels like an attempt to step back to the last time this game unarguably "worked" and was profitable and taking it from there. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this branching off entirely from Live Rift in terms of content.

Telaran

I haven't bothered posting here for a long time. I just drop by occasionally for old times sake to see how bad things have gotten. I used to play regularly for several years and happily paid my sub and then patron for a while after F2P until it became obvious the cash shop / P2W / RNG was where things were headed.

When I saw the announcement about Prime servers it sparked my interest. The teaser was that it would be vanilla Rift with a subscription. For that I'd be right there asking them to take my money already. Then the excuses and clarifications started. It wouldn't be vanilla Rift because they've lost the source code? Really? They've never heard of source control? Sorry I don't buy that. Either that or it speaks volumes about the current development resources. On every software project I've worked on we could easily build any version ever released. Software engineering 101.

So instead of vanilla Rift they're talking about some sort of lopped off abomination of the current version that will run for a while and then be shut down. Let me think about that for a while. Uh, no thanks.

Isp
    Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pixie View Post
    I haven't bothered posting here for a long time. I just drop by occasionally for old times sake to see how bad things have gotten. I used to play regularly for several years and happily paid my sub and then patron for a while after F2P until it became obvious the cash shop / P2W / RNG was where things were headed.

When I saw the announcement about Prime servers it sparked my interest. The teaser was that it would be vanilla Rift with a subscription. For that I'd be right there asking them to take my money already. Then the excuses and clarifications started. It wouldn't be vanilla Rift because they've lost the source code? Really? They've never heard of source control? Sorry I don't buy that. Either that or it speaks volumes about the current development resources. On every software project I've worked on we could easily build any version ever released. Software engineering 101.

So instead of vanilla Rift they're talking about some sort of lopped off abomination of the current version that will run for a while and then be shut down. Let me think about that for a while. Uh, no thanks.
    I have not see claims that sources were lost, but Trion does not want to use these old sources as they have better engine now and they want to share changes between live & prime - and this is a reasonable approach. So if you want to have pure vanilla rift now - you should take current engine and recreate old souls there - but it require resources which they either don't have or don't want to use. So Prime will be very close to current live - with disabled cash shop and expansions (and expansions later will be enabled step by step).
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    -snip-

Prime feels like an attempt to step back to the last time this game unarguably "worked" and was profitable and taking it from there. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this branching off entirely from Live Rift in terms of content.
    That's exactly what Jagex did with Oldschool Runescape and its wildly popular; they add patches unique to Oldschool based on the results of in game polls. While the main Runescape game receives its own content and is treated completely separately.
    Last edited by C00lit; 02-12-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C00lit View Post
    That's exactly what Jagex did with Oldschool Runescape and its wildly popular; they add patches unique to Oldschool based on the results of in game polls. While the main Runescape game receives its own content and is treated completely separately.
    I would be 100% in for that. Rift had a good thing going but shat the bed somewhere along the way. Going back and re-examining it from the last functional point (pre-F2P) is only a good thing in my books.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pixie View Post

It's the amount of work they have to work on the old source code to be worth it. I not heard they said they lost it. Just the old code does not work with system they have in place now. There are a lot patch and fix went on for years. I would think can be bad to use a lot the old codes due to security problem they patch up on live.

Still don't mean they can't do it. Not sure they have the funds to work on the old codes to get it to work with the system they have now and patch all the security holes.
    Last edited by Zaber; 02-12-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Here is few facts people getting wrong, servers went low before F2P because of failed storm legion launch, resulted new shards appearing on EU like Gelidra, Typhiria, Zaviel, most shards closed and people forced to merge in new shard to fool leftover players to shards still have medium population.

F2P brought back many players, it increased dev activity and communication on forums even F2P model they brought was example model at very first but key failures like dimension boxes dropping high amount of plat value items and they do not fix it because of REX buying flow for like 2 3 weeks back fired.

Main problem was storm legion launch, since it was failed launch we saw very first layoffs on trionworlds, while they claimed most layoffs done to temp workers 2 class dev, Zinbik and Atrius layedoff, many raid devs layedoff even Morticus layedoff on that period but then they hired him as back and think he was the only one returned on that period (think Hartsman brought him back when he comes back as CEO) and why storm legion failed was simple as alpha tester of it most of feedback I give and many others did disregarded for class balances but some people with no clue but having title on main forums as Guide writer listened, because that people wrote bad guides and class devs on that period selected them as their alpha tester meanwhile people like me who reported exploits directly to Daglar, Elrar etc selected by them was literally hated by class devs and whenever we give feedback they mostly replied you are 0.001% of the game because you are top end raider and if we change this to that most average joe wont like it, fun fact after launch most feedbacks given by that 0.001% applied with feedbacks coming from "live" players.

Same happend on raid testing, we only tested raid mechanics and sometimes left inside for hours when dev who supposed to sit with us went to coffee break or some meeting forget us there...

Ironically, some alpha testers selected by this class devs changed/altered their parses on alpha forums to mislead that class devs as well.

In the end storm legion was actual failure of the RIFT while F2P brought some players back after time and time game turned into cash grab game.

Failures like earring slot buying, giving people level 65 gear before expansion release etc already shadowed the NMT expansion and each feedback given by hardcore players kept disregarded and almost any comment they made deleted on forums, banning hardcore raiders, guilds, threatening them etc was also one of big failures.

Any post you did even with good will taken as offensive and devs seperated/alienated players.

Most recently closed discord had many feedbacks but most time we get replies like its not that easy, increasing manpower wont solve it etc still kept showing how alienated players for devs too.

I still apprecite people like Tacitus, Icarus, Eps for their dedication and hard work with that limited man power but honestly do not think that RIFT prime will solve anything or bring anything good for old players, firstly its not what old players want, its not actual classic experience and very very very limited man power for both live and prime won't bring anything good and merging servers on live won't bring anything at all either meanwhile servers actually already merged only thing is seperated auction houses rest of shards are only nametag in chat.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    Here is few facts people getting wrong, servers went low before F2P because of failed storm legion launch, resulted new shards appearing on EU like Gelidra, Typhiria, Zaviel, most shards closed and people forced to merge in new shard to fool leftover players to shards still have medium population.

F2P brought back many players, it increased dev activity and communication on forums even F2P model they brought was example model at very first but key failures like dimension boxes dropping high amount of plat value items and they do not fix it because of REX buying flow for like 2 3 weeks back fired.

Main problem was storm legion launch, since it was failed launch we saw very first layoffs on trionworlds, while they claimed most layoffs done to temp workers 2 class dev, Zinbik and Atrius layedoff, many raid devs layedoff even Morticus layedoff on that period but then they hired him as back and think he was the only one returned on that period (think Hartsman brought him back when he comes back as CEO) and why storm legion failed was simple as alpha tester of it most of feedback I give and many others did disregarded for class balances but some people with no clue but having title on main forums as Guide writer listened, because that people wrote bad guides and class devs on that period selected them as their alpha tester meanwhile people like me who reported exploits directly to Daglar, Elrar etc selected by them was literally hated by class devs and whenever we give feedback they mostly replied you are 0.001% of the game because you are top end raider and if we change this to that most average joe wont like it, fun fact after launch most feedbacks given by that 0.001% applied with feedbacks coming from "live" players.

Ironically, some alpha testers selected by this class devs changed/altered their parses on alpha forums to mislead that class devs as well.

In the end storm legion was actual failure of the RIFT while F2P brought some players back after time and time game turned into cash grab game.

Failures like earring slot buying, giving people level 65 gear before expansion release etc already shadowed the NMT expansion and each feedback given by hardcore players kept disregarded and almost any comment they made deleted on forums, banning hardcore raiders, guilds, threatening them etc was also one of big failures.

Any post you did even with good will taken as offensive and devs seperated/alienated players.

Most recently closed discord had many feedbacks but most time we get replies like its not that easy, increasing manpower wont solve it etc still kept showing how alienated players for devs too.
    Exactly this...It wasn't that f2p ruined the game. f2p was a stop loss measure employed to lessen the mass leaving and bring players back. An article noted at that time, the reduced demand for patron and purchases of the game caused it to go on sale for $5. Players still weren't buying it nor subbing in significant numbers. Trion literally could only give the game away at that point.

It wasn't clear tho that the catastrophic event that caused the mass leaving, was SL launch. Parts of it was fun for me. But from your post, failed xpacs aren't new here and devs have consistently left along with them. The population has continued to dwindle with each one as well. Would seem that things are on schedule.

Same happend on raid testing, we only tested raid mechanics and sometimes left inside for hours when dev who supposed to sit with us went to coffee break or some meeting forget us there...
    Wow.
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 02-13-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Telaran

H people like me who reported exploits directly to Daglar, Elrar etc selected by them was literally hated by class devs and whenever we give feedback they mostly replied you are 0.001% of the game because you are top end raider and if we change this to that most average joe wont like it, fun fact after launch most feedbacks given by that 0.001% applied with feedbacks coming from "live" players.

and each feedback given by hardcore players kept disregarded and almost any comment they made deleted on forums, banning hardcore raiders, guilds, threatening them etc was also one of big failures.

IMO this is one of the worst problems. Working with your community is the only way to prosper, not against them... i mean they're the ones you want to give you money.....

also usually when the 0.001% notices a problem it's not that the average joe won't give a damn, it's just they haven't experienced it yet. Taking feedback from your hardcore players is usually the best way to nip stuff in the butt.

People can play on whatever server they want at their whim, and as such the population can concentrate itself as much as it likes, while at the same time those who wish a quieter environment can opt for that as well. I don't see the point in changing a system that works quite well as it is. Their efforts are better directed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BMX View Post
    Rift has had convergence of the shards in the past. We started out with 38 that were pared down to 16 to the current 7. So shard convergence is not new. Prime does have a major impact on live with the current team being grossly understaffed and incapable of maintaining what we have.

4.x came out as a micro expansion for the same reason. People need to understand the size of the team that developed the SL expansion and also remember that it was inclusive with your subscription.

If they did a real expansion on the level of SL, I for one would gladly go back to S2P since that would be an effort worthy of support financially. To have paid for 4.x only to find out that raiding and PvP were largely nonexistent was disappointing.

Prime server is an accelerated repeat. We already saw that film and should be on regular TV not PPV.

Get the team the hands that are sorely needed. Go back to vanilla and chocolate and get in form to develop the best expansion ever. Make it at minimum, the size of SL, complete with 10 and 20 man raids. New PvP is required. New Volan style zone events are required. Gambling is strictly forbidden on all levels! Notoriety will be relevant once more with Venerated required for BiS essences and fragments, none of which involve RNG. Especially fragments!! Fragments shall have an upgrade path like planar crafted or armor/weapons. Once this is under way and sorted, a promotional campaign shall begin. This would entice returning players as well as new players investigating what the hubbub is all about.

In 2012, Rift exceeded 1m players. Think about how big a number that is with S2P coming in each month. A massive number, indeed! The current paying playerbase doesn't even make a down payment on that, PERIOD! That could have us enjoying some exquisite expansions and content but unfortunately, it was pissed away. Below is a wikipedia link that might shed some light on the history of Rift

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_(video_game)

The only redemption is to bring out some extremely great content with excellent maintenance following. Along with eliminating the gambling addiction that seems rampant.

Task is in Trion's dojo. The upper management should be on task with a business plan and forecast of the revenue expected so they can approach the investors to make it come to fruition. If not, perhaps it's time to get new management to get this off the ground.

Frankly, we have the franchise, yus, it's in trouble, yus it needs the overhaul both in content and direction, but that needs effort put forth.
    I'm thinking the same as you. %100 I hope they can do something like that. Scott Hartsman need to take the law in one's own hands. Just hoping...

Darkageman Rogue (Zaviel)
    Last Dawn

Telaran

closed comment
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 02-13-2018 at 05:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast