+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Team Update

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default RIFT Team Update

Howdy folks!

RIFT is well loved and well supported at Trion. It was our first major release and we expect it to carry on for a long while yet. We mentioned our new team-wide collaborative approach in the recent Development letter; as RIFT matures and approaches a comfortable middle age, we find the team works best with multiple people reviewing, designing, planning and executing on the ongoing development of Telara. Most of the RIFT team has been together for a long time, and they are well experienced in what it takes to produce updates, improve quality of life issues and ongoing bug fixes.

Trion is a very close-knit, multi-game studio. Rotating people to different projects is important, to ensure that people can enjoy a fresh challenge, avoid burnout, find new inspiration and ensure that our games all get the support they need. This is a very normal and healthy process in multi-game companies, and brings experienced and new developers together to grow together in cycles.

We've had a number of inquiries about our beloved Vladd recently - it's pretty obvious that he is not as visible in the RIFT circles these days. Vladd is still here at Trion and working on another title that needed his expertise, and we've moved his responsibilities across the RIFT Dev group as a whole.

We look forward to sharing more about RIFT Prime and other upcoming content updates over the year.

-Chris
    Last edited by Archonix; 01-30-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Good lord, how many more devs will RIFT lose?
    Irlowe@Deepwood Iirlowe@Deepwood Urlowe@Deepwood Primalowe@Deepwood Rlowe@Deepwood
    <Halcyon>

Rift Master

I am glad to hear Vladd is still around, though I miss his commentary here on the forums. Though I guess specifics of employment aren't really something to be discussed, it does sometimes seem that we hear more of people leaving Rift than coming to it these days, and that is something that concerns me a little. Any reassurance on that topic would be appreciated highly.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

General of Telara

Thanks for posting this I do appreciate it and I am sure you are aware of the panic this might cause by losing a key member of the team. Please keep comminicating it gets you brownie points.

Can I ask how many have moved to Rift in the last 6 months? It seems the Rift Team loses members but doesn't seem to gain any back. This is somewhat worrying, especially as Rift needs content and most of the team appears to be working on Prime (which yes I feel is not a good idea but if you have read these forums I am sure you are aware of that)

Apparently Vladd was working on the fragment system update. Is this now dead in the water?

Could you please provide any updates on the sorely needed catch up mechanics/fragments(?)/balance changes? I am tired of running warchanter to dps as a warrior : /
    Last edited by Balidin; 01-30-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Sad to hear Andy's 7th year long journey on RIFT ended like many people we know who left in past year like Kerilar etc. I wish him best on his next journey but like others mentioned and you implied RIFT is loved in Trion, whats current status of RIFT team? How many actual devs we have except the ones we know in front lines? Will we see any new devs coming to join in RIFT? and most importantly who is lead designer of RIFT now? Andy took Julia (Darkmoon)'s duties when she moved to Trove or like you said remaining devs sharing what he was doing so is that means no more lead designer for RIFT?
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

We normally do not address team movement precisely because it does tend to cause undue panic. In this case, as Vladd was such a high-profile fellow, we needed to explain that he was not just swallowed up by the earth. The earth is no match for our golden viking demigod.

On the other hand, lots of folks have come and gone from our teams over the years without anyone noticing and panicking because they are not public figures (and never wanted to be), even though highly talented and offering great contributions.

What we're not doing here is offering a full on employee list and flow chart. I can't think of many businesses that do, because there is always an ebb and flow. In a Dev studio, game needs and assignments change over time. If you check the Trion careers page, you'll see that we have several jobs posted... movement is good.

Keep watching the RIFT streams and you'll see all the Dev you can handle over time. Mind, a lot of them still simply prefer to work hard on the game and don't like being out in any public arena, but I am working on a lineup of the usual socially malleable suspects for coming streams: DeadSimon, CaptainCursor, Amary, Archonix, Dakkon, Icarus, BlazingOctopus, any art guy I can capture with my net, the occasional accidental appearance of RoughRaptors and anyone else I can talk into coming on stream.

On his new Dev team, Vladd will continue to steadfastly refuse to appear on stream... some things never change.
    Brasse
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 01-31-2018 at 01:12 PM.

I call dibs on his plat. I'll need it for my alt frags.

On a serious note and as several people have mentioned and discussed both in game and across social media platforms, Vladd was one of our last hopes for class balance so with this announcement I do personally think the class balance stream should be next. Even if can't be told any specific changes, it would be nice to know what devs will be taking up the mantle and whether or not they'll specifically be working on a dedicated calling or working on all callings/souls across all parties involved. Tell us what their goal / vision is. This is probably the most important thing that will make or break it at this point for a lot of players across the board right now.

We know that the team is fully aware of this and the players even more so. We can't go another couple of weeks, let alone a month without telling us what's going on in that regard. *Figners Crossed*
    https://giphy.com/gifs/K4HAk7EXgxMli
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 01-30-2018 at 08:05 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    We normally do not address team movement precisely because it does tend to cause undue panic. In this case, as Vladd was such a high-profile fellow, we needed to explain that he was not just swallowed up by the earth. The earth is not match for our golden viking demigod.

On the other hand, lots of folks have come and gone from our teams over the years without anyone noticing and panicking because they are not public figures (and never wanted to be), even though highly talented and offering great contributions.

What we're not doing here is offering a full on employee list and flow chart. I can't think of many businesses that do, because there is always an ebb and flow. In a Dev studio, game needs and assignments change over time. If you check the Trion careers page, you'll see that we have several jobs posted... movement is good.

Keep watching the RIFT streams and you'll see all the Dev you can handle over time. Mind, a lot of them still simply prefer to work hard on the game and don't like being out in any public arena, but I am working on a lineup of the usual socially malleable suspects for coming streams: DeadSimon, CaptainCursor, Amary, Archonix, Dakkon, Icarus, BlazingOctopus, any art guy I can capture with my net, the occasional accidental appearance of RoughRaptors and anyone else I can talk into coming on stream.

On his new Dev team, Vladd will continue to steadfastly refuse to appear on stream... some things never change.
    Brasse
    Thanks for reply, think this was addressed for my previous post so I'm replying considering this, all the names you mentioned are the names we know in frontlines and you forget Tacitus and Eps!! :P jokes aside when you join Atlas Reactor discord you see tons of devs active there but for any rift related discord we only have either RR (actually an engineer), Eps and Tacitus while Atlas Reactor discord is official discord for the game still considering how many active devs AR has vs Rift is huge difference.

While I appreciate to every dev who is working on RIFT, I believe and -like Icarus mentioned on one of the past streams "manpower on RIFT is low"- and needs to be increased, still you guys know "better" and manage it but this are my 2 cents.
    Last edited by aileen; 01-30-2018 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo

Rift Master

I don't think anyone really needs a flowchart detailing employee movements -- I just think we as players would like to be reassured, tangibly, that there is robust and active development and enough employees to handle that. At least, I know I would, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I do appreciate the communication in this direction though.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

That is why we do dev updates on the stream and blogs on a regular basis.
    =)

Rift Master

So no real class balance in the near/intermediate future then I take it.
    Last edited by Artak; 01-31-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Soulwalker

Wink

Just would like to know we keep on losing devs from the flagship game that needs to be fixed sure its working but not at the point where there is way to man y issues with classes,raids.crashes etc.Plz keep the main devs on the flagship RIFT that made u guys great .

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    That is why we do dev updates on the stream and blogs on a regular basis.
    =)
    Still who is lead designer for rift is in question. Is that spot filled as well or there is no more lead designer?

T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast