• 1 Post By Holyroller12
  • 2 Post By Poshy
  • 1 Post By AtoningUnifex
  • 5 Post By BMX
  • 2 Post By Balidin
  • 1 Post By BMX

Thread: New Calling Dev

Default New Calling Dev

Some of my friends and I where talking about Rift and we came up with a few things we wanted to ask Trion.

So here they are!

Is there a new calling dev?

What is the Rift team at Trion doing with calling/soul changes?

Are there plans for any major changes or will there be small changes?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Isp
    Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Some of my friends and I where talking about Rift and we came up with a few things we wanted to ask Trion.

So here they are!

Is there a new calling dev?

What is the Rift team at Trion doing with calling/soul changes?

Are there plans for any major changes or will there be small changes?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
    Only Keynes was working on souls lately, he left last year, there is no word who will replace him yet, so don't expect any changes any time soon.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Plane Walker

Kind of crazy to have an MMO that has literally no one working on souls and class balancing.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

King of Slackers

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    Kind of crazy to have an MMO that has literally no one working on souls and class balancing.
    To be honest, I don't think "nobody" is working on class balancing is the right term. If there are still some people out there releasing videos with broken **** + posting feedback on the forums and we see class updates from time to time .... somebody is doing it!
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons - Contend
    Youtube
    Twitch

Keyens would normally say "We" when referencing class related stuff being worked on. I think he was just in charge of a lot of it and "the face" of it as well on streams. Regardless though, those are some big shoes to fill and hopefully we get someone who knows what they're doing and someone more willing to work with the community despite any harsh criticisms / feedback given.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

No I'll feelings to Keyens or anything, but I feel like a different set of eyes might be a good thing if they do assign someone. Class balancing before wasn't exactly AAA best rating or anything. Hoping to changes that aren't forced to revolve around a weapon. Cheers.
    RIP boiled water, you will be mist

Perhaps they could get some help from the players themselves, start putting out a lot more small balance changes to classes to test on PTS and as asking players to do the testing work to free them up for other things perhaps incentivise this level of player testing with small but important rewards, e.g. a report from someone about the impact from changes to two spells generates an automatic "reward" ticket to anyone not sending in a duplicate report.

Not sure how workable it would be but I know there is a strong cohort that look at test a lot already but there are by no means as many people doing this now as there was say 2/3/4/5/ years ago.

Perhaps it would work well if there was a formal release and test schedule published on forums that players could be using to test things of particular interest. (below are examples only and not reflective of anything real)
    e.g. Feb week 1 - minor balance changes to Mage, change to cooldown on two skills from cleric and a warrior cast time change for two skills.
    Feb week 2 - Overhaul of Archon, change to debuffs on two souls, re-iterative testing of updates from week 1 testing.

And so on...if players know and are kept more informed and there is an wee incentive it may be more interesting/enticing for them to take time out of main play to do some formal testing for TRION.

However this in no way should reduce the need for TRION to actually assign formal work packages to their staff to both generate and monitor the changes and their effects (i.e. part and parcel of the job).

Rewards: whatever they want I guess but bet players would be more receptive to doing this if there was some captured intel in it for them....
    Last edited by AtoningUnifex; 01-07-2018 at 02:21 AM. Reason: edits for stuff

Sword of Telara

I also think that Trion should make some small adjustments more often than the big balance changes every 3-4 months.

With the exception of the warrior class I think that with small percentage changes Trion could manage a relatively good balance without much effort.

Trion should focus on changing abilities that are higher up in a Soul Tree to avoid unwanted synergy effects with other souls.

BMX
    Champion

There is an issue with "balance" at the moment.

How many souls do each of the classes have?

How many souls are viable for current content?

Why were the souls not unilaterally scaled to current?

Frankly, soul scaling is required before release of any expansion.
    Tuning during live is expected and happens in all MMO's so that isn't an issue, per se, but doing a weekly rebuild of our specs is daunting and irritating.

Class output needs to be solely based on stats and absolutely no RNG involvement.

With the Eternal, yus there's a proc on it but then again we had trinkets in SL that offered a proc without anyone having a meltdown. The proc needs to be moderated so it doesn't appear like a class has a "broken soul" and nerfing souls into obscurity should be halted in lieu of proper tuning.

All callings can be brought into a 10% tolerance.

Again, all of this takes effort on the part of the devs responsible for balance.
    Banned

General of Telara

In game there exist broken buffs/debuffs that can affect mobs from 60+ yards away. I got primalist support buffs while I was in VP from a primalist in TD. There are several specs propped up by broken and imbalanced eternal weapons. The top dps for warrior is the Single target healing soul... The list goes on.

Class balance and bug fixing is desperately needed. I hope this is being looked at urgently and no resources are being used on challenge servers that should be doing this instead. Basic maintenance and bug fixing needs to be a priority here. Trion can you please look after your game.

BMX
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Balidin View Post
    In game there exist broken buffs/debuffs that can affect mobs from 60+ yards away. I got primalist support buffs while I was in VP from a primalist in TD. There are several specs propped up by broken and imbalanced eternal weapons. The top dps for warrior is the Single target healing soul... The list goes on.

Class balance and bug fixing is desperately needed. I hope this is being looked at urgently and no resources are being used on challenge servers that should be doing this instead. Basic maintenance and bug fixing needs to be a priority here. Trion can you please look after your game.

Agreed!

It seems that a concerted effort needs placed right here, right now! With the playerbase at all time lows never seen before, a challenge server is absurd.

The punch list by priority should be...

1. Resolve the "Active Player Crisis" immediately.... Get it done!
    2. Properly scale all souls.... Get it done!
    3. Resolve bugs that have gone on long enough.
    4. Resolve PvP
    5. Restore CQ
    6. Get to work on 20 man raids. (This goes hand in hand with # 1)
    7. Do away with RNG.
    8. COMMUNICATE!! (With honesty)

Stop the baloney and GET IT DONE!!

Rift is a fantastic franchise that is being destroyed at the wholesale level. The whole idea of coming up with more cash shop boxes with 100 and 250 prices could have been attention paid to the core if the game. We see the topic brought up all over the forum on a daily basis by community members that have a passion for Rift and they care about its future.

If this post or any part of its content is taken as a negative, you're sorely mistaken.
    I for one have had it up to my eyeballs with hearing from players that they are throwing in the towel and the reasons given.

Frankly, we, the community are interested to see the call for opening shards as opposed to closing em.

GET IT DONE!!
    Banned

+ Reply to Thread