+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Holiday Sparkle Disappointment

Telaran

I am not really a casual player (min 3h per day) and I am in an active guild doing LFR raids weekly and starting T1 raid (3/4 irop).
    I have both ranged and helmet one step before end.

Why did I stop here ? I cannot do more nightmare rift for planarite ! I did all masteries (one to six) before the extension and I am fed up with this.

I have a lot of guildies who do not have time (in game time) to farm pp or celestial matrice, so it is quite impossible for them to upgrade or even to craft the helmet.

Yes, some people may want to loot this helmet, even if this is not BiS.

Shadowlander

The thing is the people who don't have the crafted item don't really need it. You only really need it for raiding and raiders have already got a crafted helm.

Sure these casuals can have a tier 2 item from sparkles, but having this helm in the loot table doesn't matter much to them. While raiders really don't want this item in the loot table. So there is really no reason to not remove it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwidoes View Post
    They are capable of implementing code that will not give you the Helm if you already have the crafted one. It's been done in the past in similar situations.
    As far as I know they can only do that by removing it from the loot table in which case nobody gets it including people that would like it. So in order to satisfy the the folks that crafted the helm you shortchange the folks that didn't.

As I said the perfect solution would be to have the game look at everything you have before dropping your loot but I don't think that is possible.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by rutte View Post
    As far as I know they can only do that by removing it from the loot table in which case nobody gets it including people that would like it. So in order to satisfy the the folks that crafted the helm you shortchange the folks that didn't.
    Not having the helm in loot table doesn't hurt anyone. They get different loot instead.

As I said the perfect solution would be to have the game look at everything you have before dropping your loot but I don't think that is possible.
    That is very easy to implement indirectly. Just change the reward to T2 marks and everyone can use those marks to buy what they want. Basically you remove the RNG that way, but trion loves RNG.

Xly
    Telaran

Isn't the solution terribly simple? Make 2 boxes, one with helmet, one without -> let players pick which one they want. Everyone's happy and the effort should be negligible. ;)

Rift Disciple

Or just give the player the option to choose between the helm, or a box with a loot table that includes all t2 armor pieces minus helm?
    Remember when Rift was:

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Releasing T2 gear on the store today simply is not going to happen. Right now, that is the best gear in the game that you can earn. I'm not going to go against my very own definition of pay to win.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwidoes View Post
    Or just give the player the option to choose between the helm, or a box with a loot table that includes all t2 armor pieces minus helm?
    Yeah, if they were to start that it'd open a whole other can of worms. "I already have the T2 x and it dropped it for me. You allow people to bypass getting the helm, what about the other gear that may be duplicated?" No, I think Trion did the best job they could and we just have to play the game. Sometimes life isn't fair.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    I am going to assume you play with people a whole lot more uber than I am.
    I am one of the unwashed masses, who plays alts and levels slowly (my highest is nor 69 and a bit, no lie). This is still the majority of players, according to data... not max level, not max crafter.

So yeah, if I get the helm, I will indeed be happy. Then I will set about getting the crafted one. =P
    Brasse
    I basically feel to agree with you - BUT - i also think that it was not such a big effort to make a check in the reward code: IF the game detects that i've already a better / crafted helmet THEN the game gives to me something else ...

Default The disappointment for me was the mount

I struggled to get the quest completed and then found in my stash was a mount that I just got from the same quest.. why 2? when they are BOP not Account ?
    Have you ever wanted to?

Isp
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kulta View Post
    I struggled to get the quest completed and then found in my stash was a mount that I just got from the same quest.. why 2? when they are BOP not Account ?
    It's a bug, just destroy one.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Some of us would LOOOOOOVE to have that helm, but I get what you're saying. A surfeit of goodness is not always useful.

On the Yaret front, it looks like the resolution would require a full restart of all servers, which is both hard to organize and risky while all of Dev and most of Operations staff are on break. While it doesn't quite qualify as an emergency that would drag all staff back into office, I've asked on our internal channels in case we can organize something before we get back in. You can follow along here.

Fae Yule does run an extra week, which may help those who rely on an external tracker.
    ;-)#
    Brasse
    I get this response. Kind of. From a casual player perspective it makes sense. "Not everyone has the planar crafted helm, so it's nice to get a chance."

But here's the other side: A LOT of players do have it. A LOT. In fact you guys made the game so that any player that wants to *really* participate in end game content is going to have it. And any casual player that would benefit from getting the tier two helm would benefit just as much from any other piece of tier two gear.

So by choosing the option you did, and with the explanations you've given you are appearing to be "inclusive" of all players. But in reality you are actually excluding a significant portion of players from gaining a reward from the fae yule event.

I feel that every player that put in the effort to complete the Fae Yule sparkle quest should benefit from the reward. Removing this helm from the loot table is not taking away a reward from the casual team. But it IS increasing the reward chance for non-casual players.

From a developer stand point shouldn't your focus be on the player base as a whole?

Soulwalker

I immediately apologize for my approximate English, but I would like to try to say this:

ok the helmet was requested by some raider players (I would like to know which ... if you are part of the players who do raids, you MUST have the helmet BiS, which in this case is the craft) and then there may be find it among the rewards. What I really do not understand is this: Is it possible that there is no way to change the fae yule helmet with another drop? Maybe taking the helmet and exchanging it with a new chest to open? I do not think it's so difficult to implement.
    I think that it would take little to make your players happy instead of doing everything to leave Rift. I have 2 guildmates who have taken the helmet already having that craft ..... what upgrade did they have? So you damaged an entire guild that raids, since those pieces could also be the legs or the chest, etc ...

I hope you have understood

Soulwalker

Default Holiday Sparkle Quest Big Let Down

I have to agree with previous posts. I have been a Patron of RIft for many years and played since Rift began. I am one of the guild leaders of an active raiding guild and I feel very , very let down by the Fae Sparkle Quest. I just finished farming sparkles 4 to 6 at a time for over a week and received the Helm today which has worse stats than my BIS Helm......So this puts me a piece of T2 gear behind other raiders who got different, more useful T2 items from their sparkle quest. Honestly if you ran around Tempest Bay on any server and inspected people , you would see that the majority have their BIS Helm , if Trion wished to keep the Helm as one of the rewards for the small handfull of people that might be happy to get it, then there should be an NPC that those of us that got it and did not need it could turn it in for a useful piece of gear.

There are several ways to get good gear..

Removing the helmet from loot table or create an option to not get the helmet is basically the same as saying.. hey, I got a belt from a previous box already... Please do not let me get another belt.

It is a chance at something.. not a guarantee for a specific piece.

But if players really feel like they should get something useful from that box, I'd suggest making a different quest for it

Make a quest, give one reward item, that is removed from inventory when the event store is removed and make it a purchase option for 1 piece of gear.
    That way, you make it easy for all to get that guaranteed good piece, no matter if they ' need ' it (for raiding) or not. And for those, who don't fancy what is offered for the quest, it gives the option to not waste time.
    Last edited by Aranka; 01-07-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Rift Chaser

Easy enough. Sparkle rewards give you 1, 2 or 3 tokens.

1 token gets you boots or gloves

2 tokens gets you helm or belt

3 tokens gets you pants or chest

You get the idea.

If someone wins 3 they get the pants or chest, or they can get the helm and boots, yada yada.

It still has rng that trion loves but also gives players a choice in all this instead of for years now sticking them with items they already have.

It is not like there havent been tokens for gear in the past - right the original hammerknell or maybe few people are left working on rift for that (I know RR was playing on seastone or stonecrest then lol).

Lastly, no offense Brasse but if you have been playing this game as much and for long as you say and dont even have a level 70 well I think you are in a small minority of folks. Most people who arent 70 in Rift come in and quit, or play tons of game in which Rift isnt even their main game. It might be this makes sense given your encouragement to Rift players to go play other games, but it really doesnt help the people who care about this game and make this game their home.
    Sutra@faeblight
    Mage since 2011
    Leader, Dawn of Terror

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast