+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT CONTROVERSIAL FAE YULE (OPINION PIECE)

Default RIFT CONTROVERSIAL FAE YULE (OPINION PIECE)

There are some controversies and a few small issues this Fae Yule season I would like to speak about directly and address. Readers, please understand that this is purely an opinion piece! I know there are multiple sides to the conversation and argument, each of which have value.

This is mine.

https://www.thegharstation.com/2017/...-yule-opinion/

Please feel free to add to this or show support. Please PLEASE keep things polite here.
    Last edited by Clowd; 12-14-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

For just the mount portion here's a snippet of perspective. Both of these mount box sales created controversy:

Guild Wars 2:
    $5 per random mount
    30 mounts
    0 duplicates (you always get a mount you don't have)
    Bind on Equip
    $120 for all mounts by buying each box
    All mounts are new

Rift:
    $99 per random mount
    42 mounts
    No limit on duplicates (No checking for mounts you already own)
    Bind on Equip
    $4,200 for all mounts if you have perfect RNG
    None of the mounts are new and some are sold for Affinity
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Shield of Telara

oh I thought this was a bug but it's meant to be this?

$100 / 76.49 / 85Euro for ONE random mount? What? sorry WHAT?

Jim Sterling made a video about it on the you tubes. Regardless of whether you like his work, he has a large audience and this is horrendous PR. What are you thinking Trion, for the love of the seven seas.
    Last edited by Balidin; 12-14-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Excellent and well-written article.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 550+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Shield of Telara

It makes you feel embarrassed to to play a game with things like this : /
    Last edited by Balidin; 12-14-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Balidin View Post
    oh I thought this was a bug but it's meant to be this?

$100 / 76.49 / 85Euro for ONE random mount? What? sorry WHAT?

Jim Sterling made a video about it on the you tubes. Regardless of whether you like his work, he has a large audience and this is horrendous PR. What are you thinking Trion, for the love of the seven seas.
    it's 99.99 in EU not 85....

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelX View Post
    it's 99.99 in EU not 85....
    Oh....... : /

Telaran

Definitely good and bad in this round.....

The Good (Because the good should be acknowledged to!! ):

Some of the things that were worked on make it feel like we are being heard at least a little bit and I hope that continues
    • Captured Intel dropping from many more sources making it possible to get out of VP ZE grind and do different things to obtain it.
    • Gingerbread items for our dimensions (YAY!)
    • Cookies and Milk for our Dims (weee!)
    • The Bogling Bounty (just neat to have presents )
    • Patron Sale

The Confusing but at least a try:
    • Faelight Sparkle giving a T2 item (But so many people getting a helm that is useless due to the crafted helm is making many very upset, a week or more of their lives wasted for something that vendors for a few plat basically...I mean we understand if we already have say, feet, and get feet, but the helm should never have been in this box. It is available other ways for those few that you claim requested it.)
    • Fragment upgrading costs lowered. (The are STILL completely skewed to opposite types of classes though so while it is in a way listening to the players, it doesn't solve the worst part of the fragment issue. People do not want to have to play a rogue for example to gear their mage main or vice versa)
    • Jewelry Boxes in Utilla: It is great to have a way to get the jewelry bits and awesome that we can specifically choose an item slot, but the stats and upgrade costs are a little iffy.
    • Dragon's Hoard: I put this one here because there are people fussing about the cost. I do however appreciate the boost it gave me in Loyalty and the mount is a cutie, not a big fat booger like I had expected *grins* I was confused about the last notes though and had expected to be given possibly more loyalty for the purchase price as a retro thing since I had purchased it before the fix was put in.

The Not so Good:
    • Orphiel's Mount Crate: Insanely over priced and way out of line with other mount costs as many have stated. I personally had been very excited when I saw the forum post saying they were available until I got home and saw the cost......weirdly, seeing that made me go weed my flowerbed instead of play Rift that night. I don't even like my flowerbed lol.
    • Credit Sale: The bonus for purchasing different credit levels is the same as earlier Yule event(s) so was not an incentive to those of us who bought them in a prior year (Frosty Levitation or something different woulda been neat )

A lot of what has been added to the store with a completely unreal expectation of the value of said items has just made us all very unhappy and uncomfortable with the greed that is being exhibited.
    Last edited by Daementia; 12-14-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    C is for Cookie.... that's good enough for me!

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Balidin View Post
    this is horrendous PR.
    TIL that this is horrendous Google Page Ranking.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post
    It would be nice if Trion put in a scaled mount with 150% max speed for credits or cash, that can be bought/collected more than once and next to that would sell mount skins for cash/credit.

It wouldn't hurt the regular mount sales/lockboxes, for the speed would be limited to 150%.. So you would then hand in some speed for that specific mount look.

And the skins can be a selection, some sold permi, others on sale times only.
    From my post in the bug forum

On the 249.99 pack... 4.750.000 loyalty... that's close to black tier instantly... which would through credit packs cost over 5.000$... The real value of this pack is in the loyalty and with that, the bonus from the loyalty while playing.
    Last edited by Aranka; 12-14-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by archcomponent View Post
    TIL that this is horrendous Google Page Ranking.
    completely horrendous indeed

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Hey all.

We put a tremendous amount out for the holiday season. As always, we follow player feedback and LISTEN. We're also pretty agile, so when the resounding feedback on the Orphiel's Mount Crate came in, we took it down.

I sincerely appreciate the rational, measured and reasonable tone you have retained in this thread. It's SO much easier to parse and use in feedback than some of the rants out in the wilds.

We hope you're enjoying the other yuletide offers, gifts and activities!

DO remember that just for logging in, you are entered in the massive pack of ALL rare mounts in Orphiel's crate. ALL of them. =P
    Brasse

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hey all.

We put a tremendous amount out for the holiday season. As always, we follow player feedback and LISTEN. We're also pretty agile, so when the resounding feedback on the Orphiel's Mount Crate came in, we took it down.

I sincerely appreciate the rational, measured and reasonable tone you have retained in this thread. It's SO much easier to parse and use in feedback than some of the rants out in the wilds.

We hope you're enjoying the other yuletide offers, gifts and activities!

DO remember that just for logging in, you are entered in the massive pack of ALL rare mounts in Orphiel's crate. ALL of them. =P
    Brasse
    Thank you for taking the time to listen to us and our feedback and take the necessary actions. I appreciate it tremendously.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

The only thing keeping me from buying the 250€ is my concern for the game state and how long it will still be arround,the pack would not give me silver tier....far from it lol,but yes i do think it is a good bang for your buck...even better if it had 6 months patron included O:-),i think about buying it every day but like i said i am realy affraid to spend 250 for something that i am unsure about in terms of future.

On a small side note Clowd as you mentioned in your Pros. The fact that intel is more accessible in terms of sources that provide it is a excellente move on Trions side and my idea/request would be for the player base and devs to consider the possibility of dungeons giving a small amount of T2 marks like in previous expansions,it would give the chance of having T2 gear to everyone even ppl that have little to no chance to raid but still want to be competitive or just something to work for and grind those DGs. apologise for the off topic.ty
    Last edited by bollesti; 12-14-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Telaran

Thank you for posting a rational opinion.

I wanted to focus in on one piece of this, the captured intel crates that vanished from the store. And this is purely my opinion.

The complaint is that it violates the spoken BiS PTW policy.

My stance is this: at this point in the game, who cares?

Competitive raiding is gone.
    Competitive PVP is gone.

If some dimensioneer or casual wants to spend real money to buy BiS jewelry that gives him +100 main stat (or whatever it is - I don't even know) ... is that going to increase his dps by such an amount that a World First is going to go down the drain? Again, I would say, at this point in the game, NOBODY cares.

One might argue that if a raid leader had to choose between two raiders, he's going to take the BiS-geared, PTW player. But the reality is that having BiS gear isn't going to increase your DPS/HPS output so significantly that a raid leader is going to say, "Sorry, we're benching you for the BiS guy." Take two equal players, parse with BiS gear and without: is there a significant difference between 1.65 million DPS and 1.55 million DPS? The min-maxer might argue there is, but again: at this point in the game ... who cares?

Ultimately, I look at it like this: if people snatch up the Intel crates and pay real money to Trion, good for them. If Trion uses the money to hire more devs that leads to better balancing and content, I am all for it. Now if it all goes to Atlas Reactor or Trove ... well, that's a different story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast