+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Keyens our Class balancer developer has left RIFT...........

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Archonix View Post
    Keyens will definitely be missed.

It's hard losing a member of the team, even when it's just a transfer to another project internally, more so when they ride off into the sunset when new and exciting opportunities arise. We wish him all the best, and hope to cross paths again someday!

While it's true the team has some big shoes to fill, I'm confident they are up to the task.
    What would likely be beneficial when moving people to other projects internally, would be to find someone to fill the positions that are left empty. As an alternative, someone could be hired to fill that secondary position, in addition to filling other Rift vacancies. I get that sometimes those lateral moves are a promotion and that's great, but if the players are expected to continue to fund new development, there really ought to be people in place to do the development work.

From a player standpoint, what appears to be happening is that devs are cherry-picked from Rift to support other projects and Rift is the game suffering from these changes as those development positions are left empty. This is not counting those such as Gingers and Keyens, who find other jobs and whose positions are also left empty. At least, they appear to be left unfilled, as there is no COMMUNICATION.

Not only that, but things as important as class balance really should not be a responsibility that falls on one person. Given the sheer number of souls, that's a staggering amount of information to belong to one person and I hope going forward that this work is divided.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel
    The DTC: Dimension Tours - Building Tips

Baradara@Greybriar

Shadowlander Madarablackgetsuga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Semiso View Post
    Well that's certainly gonna wear down the playerbase until the next expac with the lack of class balance.

Let's just be clear, there is no need to appoint a new class balance developer if they aren't willing to reslove +6 months old bugs that we have constructively reported and that we have reminded Trion from time to time, im just saying but i dont belive the next person filling in Keyens shoes will win our trust.
    This. And sadly if the next person who steps up bonks the community is gonna dig into them like a vulture on prey, the only way for them to gain trust is with either a massive class patch or class patches over a span of a decent amount of time, but that said the new person has to balance 56 souls, create 4 new souls, plus rework all of this for Challenge Servers, so thats around 120 souls to fully balance out and create plus other responsibilities
    Youtube > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGO...WcpRW6vGvKGOhw < Rift Lets Play and other Rift Content!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sencas View Post
    RoughRaptors for class dev

#BloodFever2018
    Seconded.
    /10char

Telaran

Just hire Boase. You can probably pay him in plat.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjia View Post
    Too bad boase quit a while ago.....
    Remember when Rift was:

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Releasing T2 gear on the store today simply is not going to happen. Right now, that is the best gear in the game that you can earn. I'm not going to go against my very own definition of pay to win.

Rift Disciple

Thanks, Keyens for all your hard work. I wish you well in your future endeavors.
    Remember when Rift was:

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Releasing T2 gear on the store today simply is not going to happen. Right now, that is the best gear in the game that you can earn. I'm not going to go against my very own definition of pay to win.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Yaviey View Post
    We are still evaluating this and will report back when we have something final.
    Sorry but we need something better than this and better than "we will miss you Keyens". Statements like that do not provide us any hope. If you want to convince us to stay positive we need the following:

-----------------
    "We acknowledge that there are a number of outstanding class balance issues that the player base feels strongly about.

In the near term, class balance will <insert decision> (be put on hold, continue but at a slower pace, continue as normal with the current team of class balance developers, etc).

For the long term we are evaluating options such as <insert options>.

Once a long term decision has been made we will let you know on the forum."
    ----------------------

And, if the decision is to put class balance on hold short term, then just say it. That is not the desired outcome, but at least we would know not to expect any changes in the short term. You can't make everyone happy in this situation, but at least that would set the right expectations. Right now we are given fluff and vague "promises".

Communication is key.

Ascendant

Keyens will definitely be missed.

It's hard losing a member of the team, even when it's just a transfer to another project internally, more so when they ride off into the sunset when new and exciting opportunities arise. We wish him all the best, and hope to cross paths again someday!

While it's true the team has some big shoes to fill, I'm confident they are up to the task.
    It is becoming very clear that Rift is an intricate game to develop and when someone leaves those shoes are indeed very big to fill leaving gaps often better "repaired" by making new content instead that then staggers if that person should leave. Please promote Tacitus to be a part of team direction and overlook priorities. He is a machine and has been cleaning up Dimensions that were in an awkward state from day one on top of adding content including IA's, UI fixes and crafting. His intelligence and ability to communicate with players is second to none.

I agree with everyone that better communication would be good for us but I also think it is paramount to the well being and support of the Trion team also.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    It is becoming very clear that Rift is an intricate game to develop and when someone leaves those shoes are indeed very big to fill leaving gaps often better "repaired" by making new content instead that then staggers if that person should leave. Please promote Tacitus to be a part of team direction and overlook priorities. He is a machine and has been cleaning up Dimensions that were in an awkward state from day one on top of adding content including IA's, UI fixes and crafting. His intelligence and ability to communicate with players is second to none.

I agree with everyone that better communication would be good for us but I also think it is paramount to the well being and support of the Trion team also.
    We need guide lines set up for future developers. Here is one staple guide line I still think deserves to be followed for class balance.

1) Set up to burst. It usually was around 5-6 secs. max. Today in some souls it can be twice or three times longer.

Other people should help especially older 2011 players.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 11-30-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Lack of transparency has been the bane of this game for years now, and it's disappointing to see that not change. Unfortunately, it took a player's initiative to even inform the playerbase that Keyens was departing. Given that the state of class balance is an ongoing issue that everyone cares about, it's really important for the players to know that we no longer have a class balance dev.

We also can't have these empty vague platitude posts anymore. It just doesn't work, and doesn't make people feel confident about the future of the game. Solid goals and expectations need to be set, and we need to stop being addressed like we are ignorant children.

As it stands currently, based upon what I know (via official word and past experience of patch cycles) we can probably not expect to see any class balance changes for well over a season, if not half a year. That's incredibly long to continue to tolerate broken specs and glaring imbalances. If I'm wrong in this, I hope a dev can disabuse me of this prediction. I predict challenge servers will also take far longer, if they even happen at all, as class balance 1-50 is a different animal than 1-70.

Problems cannot be brushed under the rug anymore, there are too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaviey View Post
    We are still evaluating this and will report back when we have something final.
    My suggestions will be based by this and hope you will consider them, so before starting here is quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasse View Post
    Accept that Dev makes choices based on game design experience, player feedback and extensive game data
    1. Person or people who will fill class dev position should be familiar with game.
    2. They should trust community feedbacks and shouldn't turn their back to community.
    3. They should be informed that there is dozens of bugs are waiting for them to fix.
    4. Their priority should be balancing and fixing classes instead of making new one
    5. All players who is keep trying to be helpful with their criticsm is not trying to be malicious infact they make that criticism in good purposes of game.
    6. Again no matter what a person who is not familiar with game shouldn't be in charge of classes, this game having complex class and soul system and can easily be ruined with simple mathematical mistakes (e.g primalist damage calculations from 2 months ago)
    7. Again communication should be key otherwise I personally don't see having person assigned over classes will be different than now which is not having anyone.
    8. Best options for this position bringing either Kervik or RedHawk or maybe both! if not possible Vladd himself should be assigned this position and should get junior class dev till that class dev really learns the game and finally get an idea how (s)he can fix/improve classes.
    Last edited by aileen; 11-30-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    GCDDisplay - Tweaked a simple way to track your gcd.
    RiftMeter for 4.3, Last update: 07/12/2017
    Some Gadgets tweaks,Updated BiSCaL for 4.3
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Plane Touched

Default Well.... darn it anyway....

Sigh. Trion needs more dev talent added to Rift not less. It is sad and frustrating to an old player to see talent drain from a beloved game. Sure- someone else might fill those shoes at some point- but sheesh- a small studio like Rift has devs recognizable to players. Those that touch base with players are special -whether or not the players like their changes. The point is- there is a familiarity that is lost when these devs move on. I still miss Gingers like crazy. She was prompt and informative in her communication with the player base. I hope Keyens finds greener pastures- and thanks for all the fish.

Rift Master

Firstly, good luck to Keyens I wish him well at his new job.

This is a big reason why you cannot have just one person on such a huge part of the game such as the soul system. All that knowledge and insight is sitting on one person who just walked out of the door. I hope that Trion has a very detailed knowledge base on how all the souls are designed along with the current intent for everything so that it is not too horrendous for a new person to come and try to carry on.

Trion, please take this opportunity to grab the balancing situation and be "right, the most unique and marketable part of our game is the soul system, lets hire several people and have a 'Soul Team' ". This 'Soul Team' does only one thing all day and that is to look at soul balancing. Passes are carried out on all dps specs, on all healers, tanks and supports. They can also create new souls at the same time if you really wish. The thing that should be pushed to get new players should be this system but to do this the system has to be robust and balanced. It can be done. Let's do it.

Telaran

the team has some big shoes to fill
    The team is wearing too many different shoes as it is.

I'm guessing trion has known for at least a couple of weeks that he'd be leaving... he probably didn't just walk in a few days ago and take a deuce on someones desk.

At least we don't have to worry about warcheeser being nerfed before February or so... since we all know there probably won't be any significant changes in December due to holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjia View Post
    Boase quit a few months ago, and recently gave away all his plat :/

OT: Basically, we all really need some official word that includes specifics on the path forward.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast