+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Slave To The Grind

Default Slave To The Grind

Hiya folks. Lets face it. Rift has gotten grindier than a teenager learning to drive stick. Getting yourself raid ready is a pretty daunting task. If you don't have as much time on your hands as a forever-alone college kid or as wealthy as an investment banker you're going to have to seriously optimize your time. I can't and won't say that this will magically reduce the time required for grinding to something manageable, but I hope it at least helps you reduce the pain a little. Think of me as a little novocaine for the root canal that you're about to go through. I've broken this down into a few simple sections.

Plat grind
    Here you go Vladd. I'm using the quote, "You'll be swimming in plat." I don't know who at Trion set this up but we are absolutely not swimming in plat. We're drowning in debt. Most of us are at least. There will always be a select few who have mountains of money. (Trion, please stop trying to kill them off. You're hurting your regular players.) Enough with that though. Here's how to make platinum in rift. Generally all these methods are slow, persistent and take continued effort. You have to spend time. (Or you can sell REX if you're rich in that other game called IRL.)

Celestial grind
    For your BiS crafted helm and ranged weapon upgrades you're going to need a massive amount of Celetial Matrices. Here's a [breakdown](Link to breakdown) of exactly how much you'll need. You can buy them all, or... If you have a decently leveled alt you can craft your Crift lure on your main and send it to that alt so you don't waste your main's Individual Reward Charges. Save those for something more useful. Find yourself a group of 20 with lures and bang your head against Crifts for a couple hours a week to stack up on materials and celestial motes and matrices. This will also help with your planarite grind.

Captured Intel grind
    • This is similar to your Celestial grind. If you have an alt that does decent DPS you can run then through the Vostigar Peaks raid rifts repeatedly to not only get a decent amount of intel, planarite and your much needed BoA crit power essences (and crit power fire fragments). Again, this will save the individual reward charges on your main.
    • If you'd rather just do what everybody else is doing. Just sit at the crossroads and wait for the next Vostigar Peaks boss to spawn.
    • Additionally, if you can clear it weekly, BoS drops a large amount of Captured Intel. However, if you can clear this raid chances are you don't need too much more Captured Intel.
    (Here is a video guide.)

Planarite grind
    Do you ever think back to Nightmare Tide and think longingly about all those Nightmare Rifts you did? The endless sea of green tinted mobs, washing over you . Such a peaceful thing... Yeah, me neither. But that's where you'll be when you run out, again and again. Grinding more nightmare rifts. Its not hard to find a group for this. Everybody needs them. The Rift team has even contemplated making a NMR 7 to compensate. It would be nice if a better planarite grind were available in PoA content or a reduction to the overall planarite costs required, but this is the current grind. Try and enjoy your endless sea of green mobs.

PROTIP: DO NOT loot your Planarite or Captured Intel until your rift bag is just about full. Use a token tablet right before you loot to greatly increase the amount of this currency you collect. This may or may not get fixed sometime in the future but it works for now.

Eternal grind
    This breaks down into a few categories. I'll include all the separate parts of your eternal but I'll also be slapping most of the stuff for your other gear in here too. The "active upgrades" are really what it's about. For a breakdown of exactly what you'll need for your eternal chain go here. Now come back and read on how to min-max it all.

Invasions
    • There are a few places to clear this quickly. If you have a group the fastest way to clear these is by doing onslaught events. If you want to have fun with it, or need a specific type of pokemon (Fire, earth, etc.) head out to Planetouched Wilds. Each city has an elemental theme where you can build up a node (similar but different to an onslaught) and get swarmed with the particular element type of that city. Be sure to bring a group of 3-5 people as you'll get between 50-500 invasions. (Thanks Samuraiko!)
      - Shal Korva: Earth invasions (butcherable)
      - Ovog: Air invasions (butcherable)
      - Woe: Death invasions (not butcherable)
      - Jad: Earth invasions (butcherable)
      - Khort: not sure yet, could not find one active despite shard hopping, watch this space
      - Sky Fishery does not appear to have one
    • If you're running solo or working on your Colossi head out to Ashenfell and grind them at the onslaught location while you wait for the zone colossi to pop. Generally there will be a bunch of folks here to help make fast work of it.
    • If you're doing element specific elements pull up YARET and look for the zone events for that element. Generally these are an easy grind to handle.

Rifts
    • This part is the easiest piece. Head out to Ember Isle and clear the underwater rifts. They're by far the fastest rifts you'll find. Don't forget to shard hop. This is generally best done during low population times so fewer people are clearing these. There are only so many servers to hop to.
    • If you're doing element specific elements pull up YARET and look for the zone events for that element. Generally these are an easy grind to handle.

Footholds
    • This was probably the longest of the easy eternal pieces for me. Don't be like me. I mean, running Stonefield while collecting burning, poison, etc. artifacts wasn't horrible, but there is a better way. In the Dendrome, in front of hive Kaaz G'fuu (the elite spot used for powerleveling) there is a single node. Kill this node, upgrade it ONCE and shard hop. And invasion instantly spawns to take the node. When you run out of planar charges go smack one of the crystals near the entryway.
    • Another spot with high yield is in Broken Marsh in Ashora. These don't appear on the map. Additionally, some of these nodes may not trigger as a foothold. The unlisted fire nodes in Dendrome do not trigger.

Colossi
    If you have invasions to do as well do these in Ashenfell when available. Remember to watch YARET and flip back and forth between Ashenfell and Vostigar Peaks. You'll need the Captured Intel as well. If by some stretch of imagination you don't need Captured Intel or just want to clear the colossi quick find the lower level zone events. Those clear much faster generally speaking.

Wicket
    We all have our own names for this lazy slacker. Even at max level he only has 20 endurance points. To min-max him, only use him for the 1 minute events until he has 10 endurance. Then use him for the 4 hour premium missions. Be sure you have enough of the minion points to have him finish instantly so he can go back to gaining endurance. Additionally, you can restore Wicket to full endurance once a day, if you're willing to spend credits. It will take you between two weeks to a month or more to bring wicket to level 25. But once you're done for the day you can sit back and relax. Go enjoy life....oh who am I kidding? Get back to the salt mines! You still have too much stuff to grind! *cracks whip* (A more detailed guide can be found here.)

Expert Dungeons
    This part can suck out your soul faster than a pack of dementors. Your saving grace here are friends. People who are willing to help you endure the pain because you're the only player of your class left in your group and they desperately want your eternal buff. The better geared and more efficient the people you run with the faster this grind will be. In general there are two "tricks" to making this go faster: A tank who can raid heal, or a healer that can keep DPS up without a tank. Generally the healy tank is the better way to go though.

Super secret grind - Currently the only way to get your T1 death crit power fragments are from Mages of Allitu fragment boxes. Either the 1,000 or 750 variety drop them, but "supposedly" the 1,000 flavor drops them more frequently. If you're running your dungeons IMO this is your best bet on wasting your individual reward charges...or you can buy these with credits and use your IRCs elsewhere. (Funny that one of the things that increases your DPS the most would be sold for credits, but hey, not my circus, not my monkey.)

Boss Kills
    With the exception of the 16 Malannon kills in LFR Tartaric Depths, this is another time gated upgrade. A lot of people are still stuck here. You have to kill the same boss over a 16 week time frame. Every reset. There is no way to power through this. It's just time and clearing the instance. Some of the guilds that can clear iRoTP aren't running it anymore. If your guild is one of them be aware that you'll have more luck looking for a PuG to clear it now. Additionally, one would expect the next tier of your eternal to be related to repeatedly killing the last boss in BoS but gate remains to be seen.

How to cope
    Doing it with friends. Drinking heavily. Accepting your descent into insanity. Crawling up into a ball to cry a little but end up crying a lot. Letting Trion know they win and go play another game instead of grinding through all this. Buying your way through a good chunk of it. There are plenty of ways to cope with what is becoming what feels like an insurmountable waste of time. But this is a game. It's not supposed to be a painful chore. It's supposed to be fun. It's not fun to do all these things. Please stop forcing them Trion. Please.

NOTE: If there are better ways or something's wrong let me know so I can add or fix it. Thanks. (And thanks to those below and in Discord with handy tips.)
    Last edited by Hepatits; 11-11-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Rift Master

Default For footholds

To finish the footholds, I found the best place was in Ashora in the Broken Marsh section. These footholds don't show up on the map but there are several close together. They are all fire footholds if I remember correctly so if you need a specific foothold type this may not work for your particular quest.

Cool, thanks. Fire is one of the flavors for the crafted stuff. I'll add it.

Edit: Note added. I remember that there are a bunch of these unlisted fire footholds throughout Ashora and they weren't triggering as kills for me.
    Last edited by Hepatits; 11-08-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Invasions can be done better for three elements in PTW.
    Earth: Shal Korva
    Death: Woe
    Air: Khort
    Find primal debris outside near the cities. This is NOT a ward stone. Build up the turrets then the debris. Although the invasions come from different directions, these three funnel in to one place you can stand at and wait for them.
    I have soloed this in Justicar; other callings and gear may vary. Bring a friend or two. You do not have to mentor. Over 100 invasions come and you have to run around way less.

Plane Touched

Default Truth Hepatitis

Thank you for spelling out the grind in your how-to guide. It is truthful and helpful at the same time. It ain't like it used to be that is for sure.

Footholds -

The absolute best place to farm footholds is one spot at the northern part of the Dendrome zone. Just outside the northern hive main entrance is a planar foothold which will almost always be under an invasion. Mentor down to 65 (in order for the footholds to count) and kill all the mobs in about 5 seconds with AOE. Upgrade the foothold ONCE and only once, this will instantly launch a planar invasion on the foothold. Shard hop to the next shard and subsequent shards and repeat this process.

When you need more charges (to upgrade the footholds) refresh them by killing one of the planar shards around the area. By the time you have completed all the shard's footholds, the first shard you where on will have a new foothold where a planar invasion has taken it over. With this method you will have 0 travel time and can kill a foothold every 30 seconds on average, your longest time delay will be from the loading screen as you shard hop.

Invasions -

Go to any major city in Plane Touched Wilds zone. There will be a plaza on the outside of the main city where there MIGHT be a foothold you can upgrade. If there is one then upgrade to full and also upgrade the turrets that are around. I truly recommend that you have a party of 3 to 5 players, (even if you are in an OP class/spec ). The amount of invasions that spawn to take back this foothold is truly amazing, (you have to see it to truly believe it) literally several dozen invasions at a time in wave after wave. You can get hundreds of invasions killed in about 15 minutes before they give up with this method. If you are doing this solo the invasions will either overwhelm and kill you by their sheer numbers, or you will be pushed back and/or be bypassed by some of the invasions which will kill the foothold and stop more invasions from spawning. (Make sure to loot and skin the hundreds of dead mobs that will be at your feet to sell for plat; before they despawn)

These footholds are not always up and sometimes you will have to shard hop and/or try other cities. The respawn rates for the footholds are very very long and sometimes it is just better to come back at another time. Each city has a different planar "theme" and I believe it will spawn earth, death or air invasions (for the crafted helm upgrade). Sorry, no city spawns fire invasions.

Good luck,

Thunder
    Last edited by thunder 1; 11-08-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks for the tips and tricks guys. I'll add them when I have the opportunity.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord

Ascendant

I love these threads, and the feeling of relief they give me for not having to cope with this sort of "fun"

BMX
    Rift Disciple

Hepatitis, well said! Perhaps, one day the folks over at Trion will bring the personnel together necessary to make a friggen awesome expac with raids and PvP and all that jazz. Larger than a postage stamp, complete with viable souls for the classes to be fun once more.

The grind has become like a second 80 hour a week job. What became of a game being a pleasure and joy to play and have great times with guild mates raising cain in an instance? What became of the PvP'ers in voice chat making a premade and goin in and getting in trouble or giving the opposing team trouble?

Very hopeful that Trion gets on with hiring more devs to make the team as successful as they can be!
    Banned

Soulwalker

yup this doesnt feel like a game. its all just grind, theres no real fun aspect in my opinion. i thought i was done with vp since i got my trinkets then they just add more. no thanx.

you guys have no problem adding more grind yet still ignore the issues, like people just afking in vp while a small group do the work yet dont get rewarded more.

are you guys running an experiment seeing how long people can put up with all this before they call it quits?

T1 crit essences, drop from the Mage 750 boxes as well. For every 3 of the top 1000, you can buy 4 of the 750,, but expect to buy lots, and lots,, then a lot more...

Quote Originally Posted by thunder 1 View Post
    Go to any major city in Plane Touched Wilds zone. There will be a plaza on the outside of the main city where there MIGHT be a foothold you can upgrade. If there is one then upgrade to full and also upgrade the turrets that are around. I truly recommend that you have a party of 3 to 5 players, (even if you are in an OP class/spec ). The amount of invasions that spawn to take back this foothold is truly amazing, (you have to see it to truly believe it) literally several dozen invasions at a time in wave after wave. You can get hundreds of invasions killed in about 15 minutes before they give up with this method. If you are doing this solo the invasions will either overwhelm and kill you by their sheer numbers, or you will be pushed back and/or be bypassed by some of the invasions which will kill the foothold and stop more invasions from spawning. (Make sure to loot and skin the hundreds of dead mobs that will be at your feet to sell for plat; before they despawn)
    I *LOVE* doing this in Shal Korva - it's like the Plane of Earth just VOMITS all of its inhabitants on top of you, and holy hells, can you rack up a lot. Even at 70 with buffs and gear, you will get SWARMED, but hey, you just respawn nearby, throw your buffs back on, and charge back into the fray. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Related to this, my absolute favorite planarite farm is the Night Terrors event. Mentor down, and just slaughter your way across the zone, or better yet, if you can bampf inside the shields, plant your flag and kill the mobs as they spawn.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Okay, updated to this point. That PTW thing almost sounds like fun.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Hepatits View Post
    Okay, updated to this point. That PTW thing almost sounds like fun.
    Actually it is kinda fun, I obviously didn't count the mobs but I've tried this solo and with a group. I think that a group will spawn even more mobs than normal to compensate for the increased members of your party.

Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by thunder 1 View Post
    Actually it is kinda fun, I obviously didn't count the mobs but I've tried this solo and with a group. I think that a group will spawn even more mobs than normal to compensate for the increased members of your party.

Thunder
    Someone in discord gave me a guestimation of 50-500. At that rate it might even be a decent planarite farm.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast