+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Interesting look at the number of players

Default Interesting look at the number of players

Now i don't know if im allowed to do this cuz it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that its illegal but here we go:

After watching a fellow EU player from the EU shards come back and Review rift at its current state, i got motivated to do the same playercount as he did with the EU shards (considering the peak times , the method by counting class by class to avoid missing anyone because of the number cap andthe current Halloween event going on). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7wXmsqzCg

Here are my stats from yesterday around 4 pm server time :

Hailol - 258 people
    Laethys - 171
    Deepwood - 339
    Faeblight - 243
    Greybriar - 213
    Seaastone - 27 (only 4 lvl 70s at the time)
    Wolfsbane - 200

Total on NA shards = 1451 people online

Total on RIFT = 1451 + 1044 (from EU shards) = 2495 = ~2500

I was arguing with the guildies about if the data collected were any reasonable. Few stated that the time the data was collected was not during peak time, so with that in mind lets throw in Another ''imaginary'' 500 people into the data to make it somewhat more accurate.

That still leaves us with 3k players in total, NA is #1 with the amount of players!
    Last edited by Semiso; 11-03-2017 at 12:27 AM.

The problem is that this doesn't show what the actual population is. It only shows people that are online at an average time. After playing and raiding with lots of different people for the last 6 years and not changing our raid times since vanilla for this very reason I think it's safe to say that the average peak time is around 6:00 - 8:00pm. I've found that most people tend to be just getting off of work/school or just getting home to play around that time and you also have to take the different time zones into consideration which should also include people from canada and even some EU that play on NA. Taking these variables into account makes it a little harder to gauge people online at any given time as "peak" hours will varying depending on where someone lives.

I don't doubt that the population in general or people online at any given time is lower in comparison to other games or even its own past expansions. Oria used holidays as a way to gauge how many players would be on EU. The assumption is that everyone who possibly has that day off and plays rift will all be online on that day, but didn't take into the account for people who go out and do things or simply just don't log on so it's not really a good way to gauge it either.

The only way to accurately check the population is to look at active accounts and go from there. This isn't the first time someone has tried this and people always try to use steam, but Rift was never a steam game. The only thing steam will show you is a general drop off of a small portion of the players that actually used or use steam.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 11-03-2017 at 01:05 AM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post

The only way to accurately check the population is to look at active accounts and go from there. This isn't the first time someone has tried this and people always try to use steam, but Rift was never a steam game. The only thing steam will show you is a general drop off of a small portion of the players that actually used or use steam.
    Oh no no this isnt from Steam, this is from me hopping from shard to shard using the social panel where you can type in level ranges and look for how many people there are in every level bracket.

(i didnt include the rest of ur quote cuz im lazy/dumb/sleepy) but you are right, when it comes to peak times i wasnt sure how off my data would get, thats why i threw in additional 500 people (about 40-50% of the data collected).

I did this a while ago, and you have to be careful. The search caps its results at 29 people, so if there are more than those online, you dont get an accurate number. This usually applies to Level 70 and the core classes (i.e. non-primalist) during peak times (e.g. Level 70 Rogues), so using this method is only viable during off-times or to establish a lower bound on the player count.

You could do a more accurate count by refining the search using letters as well, but this would take a rather long time since the search function is throttled to one every few seconds, and you'd have to do a lot of searches to cover all letters as well as elaborate book-keeping to merge the search results into a single list of players.

It does however give an interesting glimpse into the closely guarded number of players in Rift, and it seems indeed at such a low level I wonder why Trion doesnt worry more about bringing players back and keeping them rather then squeezing every last penny out of the few that still remain.
    Axynia - Pagefault - Segfault - Xinira
    <Transcendent>
    Inactive

HEY! i know that guy! i love his guide videos from NMT!

Now back to the main question, A company will never expose the real player base/population but this is certainly a good way to examine combining with steam chart.

Population is not lower, it's very low. Facts we know that:
    1. Automatic teleport to highest player shard on log in to make game looks like more alive
    2. 20 man raid deleted

Anyone with a brain could figured out base on the above 2 facts on how low the population is and why they are implemented

Other regions wouldn't get counted a lot as there is not even a single SPE pop up that i could get during Australia night time 10-12pm possibly for the past few weeks or up to months, which pretty much tells you that it's to that point that players are mainly in NA time. (this is not the case in NMT)

Steam chart shows that Rift on steam at non-peak time has roughly 360+ players, and roughly 750+ at peak time.

I think the population distribution may be something like this below:

1.2000 player, half below level 70 and half at level 70
    2.Gear level Expert/Some T1/2400 Ready for level 70 players
    3.50%/30%/20% of 1000 which is 500/300/200

There is probably not more than 200 2400 hit players on NA or less from what i see on topofrift and general rift chat, which kinda make some sense same as the distribution i guessed, as there just can't be 20 different raids that's progressing in BOS, due to the terrible grind.
    Last edited by MisakaMikoto; 11-03-2017 at 01:45 AM.
    Pupueffekt@Laethys TD 4/4 IROTP 4/4
    Orphanage - Laethys Rift美服华人工会 You can you up, No can no bb

This is very sad to see.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Like one of the people who replied here, im thinking about doing Another headcount but this time getting better results by typing in letters to get additonal players that got filtered out from the 29 cap.

Any volunteers who wanna help msg me in game Semiiland@Deepwood
    Last edited by Semiso; 11-03-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Semiso View Post
    Like one of the people who replied here, im thinking about doing Another headcount but this time getting better results by typing in letters to get additonal players that got filtered out from the 29 cap.

Any volunteers who wanna help msg me in game Semiiland@Deepwood
    To be more accurate you'd also need to do that in different times, as in lowest and highest peaks to get the average, as well as weeknights and weekends to get more data. It's a rather time consuming thing to do, but could help get more accurate numbers. For all I know, neither holidays or 4 p.m. NA aren't the time frames you'd want to make assumptions from.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Rift Disciple

I am pretty sure that the numbers will more fall than rise. Raiddamage spread by rougly 80-100% between classes with the same gear. Endless farming. Perhaps is better to die young as to continue like this.

The number of unique visitors YARET gets per day indicates to me that the 2500 count is very low, because I assume that most of the game doesn't use it (yes, it's very useful and very popular to power players like you and your guild, but power players are not the majority).
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 11-03-2017 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    The number of unique visitors YARET gets per day indicates to me that the 2500 count is very low, because I assume that most of the game doesn't use it (yes, it's very useful and very popular to power players like you and your guild, but power players are not the majority).
    First of all where do you check the amount of visitors visiting the site? doesnt appear to me on the site.

Secondly, i would assume that refreshing the website or closing the window and re-opening the site would Count a visitor, AKA it doesnt register IP visitors but how many times you re open the site, cuz the numbers from both EU and NA arent too far off each other.

Ascendant

First of all where do you check the amount of visitors visiting the site? doesnt appear to me on the site.
    Forbiddenlake owns that site (check out his signature), and since he usually seems to know what he's talking about, I would definitely trust him on the matter

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    This is very sad to see.
    And for once I have to fully agree with a statement of yours. But then again, it's not hard to see why the numbers have dropped so tremendously over the last years...
    Last edited by Elayara; 11-03-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Now i don't know if im allowed to do this cuz it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that its illegal but here we go:

After watching a fellow EU player from the EU shards come back and Review rift at its current state, i got motivated to do the same playercount as he did with the EU shards (considering the peak times , the method by counting class by class to avoid missing anyone because of the number cap andthe current Halloween event going on). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7wXmsqzCg

Hailol - 258 people
    Laethys - 171
    Deepwood - 339
    Faeblight - 243
    Greybriar - 213
    Wolfsbane - 200

I was arguing with the guildies about if the data collected were any reasonable. Few stated that the time the data was collected was not during peak time, so with that in mind lets throw in Another ''imaginary'' 500 people into the data to make it somewhat more accurate.

That still leaves us with 3k players in total, NA is #1 with the amount of players!
    I assumed it was somewhere around 3-4k.

What I find more interesting though is that Hailol seems to have so many players. Even at any time of the day I always assumed Hailol was Seastone levels of dead along w/ Wolfsbane and Laethys. I'm surprised Greybriar is so low as well.

I wish Trion would release player data so we can see b/c I think in general the population considers Deepwood, Faeblight and Greybriar to be most populated and this doesn't match it.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Default NOPE

Quote Originally Posted by Rgizil View Post
    I wish Trion would release player data so we can see b/c I think in general the population considers Deepwood, Faeblight and Greybriar to be most populated and this doesn't match it.
    That is a Big NO LOL, i mean, unless they are preparing to close the game down, releasing the actual population ranging between few thousands only isn't gona help in bringing more players in or keep older players stay.

What really keeps players stay or attract new players is solely the Game itself. :P
    Last edited by MisakaMikoto; 11-03-2017 at 05:44 AM.
    Pupueffekt@Laethys TD 4/4 IROTP 4/4
    Orphanage - Laethys Rift美服华人工会 You can you up, No can no bb

Hailol - 258 people
    Laethys - 171
    Deepwood - 339
    Faeblight - 243
    Greybriar - 213
    Wolfsbane - 200

4pm server... assuming you mean the 4pm pdt for both times?

means NY time around 7pm, EU real time midnight till some 4 am... On a working/school day...

people get home between 4pm and 8pm.. and often go to sleep between 10pm and 2 am, because of appointments, school, work...

week/working days are often less crowded, many (casuals, kids) only play certain hours or days.

Next you are missing out on the fact that we are with 3 major time zones... 4pm pdt = around midnight CET and around 8am Melbourne time

Different time zones, schedules and mixed timezones on each server.. any specific time of day for a calculation is off... Do the same for 10 days, 24/7, perhaps every hour.. take out the double counts of names... then you get a more reasonable number

sidenote/question.. you took this from the search menu?
    searching each shard/zone per level/calling
    and on name@shard for counting? so players hailol is actually players FROM hailol and not players from other shards playing ON hailol?
    Last edited by Aranka; 11-03-2017 at 06:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast