+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Let's talk lockboxes and Autumn harvest

Default Let's talk lockboxes and Autumn harvest

Magical Broom Supply Crate - This gives a chance at the Broom mount, but it also contains many of the new Autumn Harvest masks, including the Green Budgie mask (which was shown off quite a bit IIRC).

While not all of the masks are available in here, the fact that the masks, and the new wings, are locked behind a real money RNG lockbox is just wrong. This is an incredibly disappointing change, one that I can't really figure out the reason for.

Why is it that the lockboxes have been changed to include cosmetic items that, in years past, were available via currency or credits?

Please make these available via AH currency and/or credits as it was in years past. Having to rely upon RNG to get the mask you want is just not fun, and removes an incentive to play and gather currency to get rewards.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Clowd View Post
    (desirable cosmetics) locked behind a real money RNG lockbox... I can't really figure out the reason.
    We all know the reason. Are you trying to get them to admit it? I get being disappointed and maybe even angry about it, but I can't figure out a reason to pretend you don't know why they're doing this.

It's all about the money
    It's all about the dum dum didudumdum
    I don't think it's funny
    to see us fade away
    Ascend A Friend Join me in RIFT http://bit.ly/1jS6dt2
    or if you already there, redeem this code - CEWPH7C3NH2TDNQH29Z3
    receive presents + 28slot bags and a mount for a good beginning
    POWER*LEVELING from x to 65 - pay with plat, rex or epic unstables - on EU and NA | WTS/WTT (EU) Bounty arts

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Got two Magical Broom supply crates so far from 4hr Minion missions, only did two lots, didn't hurry them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdummist View Post
    We all know the reason. Are you trying to get them to admit it? I get being disappointed and maybe even angry about it, but I can't figure out a reason to pretend you don't know why they're doing this.
    I try my best to learn what the main reason is behind decisions whenever I can, and I don't want to assume anything without first hearing the reasons behind it. I'm also trying to be diplomatic about this, though potentially I'm coming across as passive.

The easiest fact to believe is that this is all about making as much money as possible by making lockboxes more enticing since they're one of the game's biggest sources of income. I'm hoping to hear that there's an additional reason as well, but I know that's unlikely.

If this is all about the money, then it's disappointing that gameplay opportunities were cast aside with the goal to collect more money over the next month, instead of the most playtime.

Every previous event, I'd go to the store and spend rl money (credits) on a new costume bundle, a new costume piece, an event minion, dimension key and/or themed dimension boxes, at the very least on one of those things, eventually getting all of them during the event.

I am not paying to gamble for items I may not get. And that's coming from someone who is obsessed with wings and witch themed items in general. I'd rather not have a broom mount or new wings even though I want them badly than pay for RNG.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Got two Magical Broom supply crates so far from 4hr Minion missions, only did two lots, didn't hurry them up.
    if you can get lockboxes on non-premium 4h missions, then that is almost acceptable.

Though there are several ways they could have gone with that as they have in the past. Why didn't Trion go the summerfest route and have a specialized separate box that gives the items? Or what about a randomized box of goodies that might contain the masks, wings, etc. that you can get via small # of credits or AH currency. Another question entirely, but there are other options besides lockboxes.

The point still stands - pay more money, get more chances. We should not have to rely upon RNG for what has historically been currency rewards.

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

+1
    The other thing that sucks is that the Halloween crates can also drop old costume pieces from vanilla rather than the halloween specific ones. This makes the RNG of it even worse. At the very least the costume rolls should be limited to the seasonal costumes specifically if they're going to stay behind lockboxes, but these were all available for individual credit purchases on PTS the few times that the event section was up on the store so i'm not sure why so many were thrown into the box. My assumption is that they had to put something in there with the broom.

Put them back up as individual purchases please.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 10-26-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

New items for event marks:
    - 300 hit neck
    - 1 new companion
    - 1 new dimension key
    - plenty new dimension items
    - 6 new weapon skins
    - 2 new masks
    - 1 new cape

Previous premium items now available for event marks:
    - Scraps the Necro Budgie

Free items from celebration box (store claim):
    - 2 engines
    - 10 IRC
    - 100 sparkles
    - 1 new cape

Items you can trade for 75 dream bolts each in the AH instance:
    - 3 new masks

+ You can get free boxes from 4h minion adventures.

I actually like how they did the boxes this year. In previous years you bought 10 boxes and if you didn't get the mount you got only crap. Now the chance you get something you actually need is quite high, as there are multiple exclusive items in them from the event, as well as generally useful stuff like raid marks, 160% boosters, etc. If you don't get all the new event items this year, I'm sure they'll be up for event marks next year.

And for those who complain the broom mount is in a box again, we just got the mummified squirrel pack with a direct purchase mount which also gave you plenty of credits that you can use to buy the new premium wardrobe bundle or some extra boxes if you wanna test your RNG.

And this of course only affects the top 5% players that already have all the stuff from previous years, for newer players there is much to grind for anyway.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | Heroes of Telara Discord | Extra Life 2017

>>> MONTHLY RIFT GIVEAWAYS <<<

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

I am happy to see that 4h minion adventures give lockboxes. However, my point stands:
    1. In years past, all masks and the wings have been available via event marks. not so this year.
    2. 4h minion adventures favor those who have bought more minion slots. Spent credits to get those slots? Now you have more chances to get lockboxes. On top of this, you can still spend credits to spam 4h adventures in hopes of getting boxes. This still favors people with credits to get chances at these items via RNG.

To make it clear, I do not mind if the individual cosmetic items can be bought with credits on their own. It's the pure RNG to get them that is bothersome to me.

I am happy with the other options available through currency, but it just seems odd to move in a direction where half of the new costume pieces, a VERY big draw to Autumn Harvest and seasonal events as a whole, is locked behind RNG. Not just RNG, but RNG you can spend money on to have more chances at success.

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    New items for event marks:
    + You can get free boxes from 4h minion adventures.
    This is a very loose interpretation of the word "free." In order to have a realistic chance at getting anything useful from those minion adventures you have to have:

A) Paid for unlocking all minion slots

B) Have enough adventurine to make sending the minions on those adventures free (it's been capped at 5k so within a couple of days you'll run out, so you have to fork over credits).

C) Go through another two gates of RNG. First you must be lucky enough to have event minion missions pop up (shuffling will eventually cost credits as you run out of adventurine)

D) Be lucky enough to have received a lockbox from the minion mission.

E) Be lucky enough to receive the item you're looking for from the lockbox. (insanely rare chance)

So basically you will eventually pay for being ABLE to run these adventures via minions. It's hardly free, and it involves even MORE RNG.

This game doesn't need more RNG.

This isn't a good way of doing an annual event.

I just recently came back to this game after not playing since shortly after Storm Legion launch. The ONE item I was most looking forward to in this event were the wings. I am severely disappointed they are only available in a gambling box, as that means I will not get them. I refuse to pay for a CHANCE to get what I want, and I wish everyone else would too. If no one bought the stupid boxes, we would stop seeing them. This seriously lowers my desire to play and to keep paying for patron.

[B]
    I actually like how they did the boxes this year. In previous years you bought 10 boxes and if you didn't get the mount you got only crap. Now the chance you get something you actually need is quite high, as there are multiple exclusive items in them from the event, as well as generally useful stuff like raid marks, 160% boosters, etc..
    So I got 5 boxes with the promo credit pack.
    Tried them to see if I was right to stay away from lottery. Got what I expected. Crap.

On 5 boxes I got NO event item. Not even a previous item. None.
    Got 4 opies artifacts caches. 2 mount speed boosts I never use. Some pvp currency and one pvp charge and I never pvp. Artisans marks and I have 7 crafts so far enough of these.
    Absolutly everything in the box was crap for me.
    Only thing useful was some tickets, which I used to buy engines. But even this is less useful now, because engines will soon be useless (and they loot far more often now).

So NO, you don't get good things in those boxes.
    If they included ONLY event items this would be ok, but not as it is.

I will keep my money, and not give to TRION the cash I wanted to spend on the wings, the masks and the broom.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    So I got 5 boxes with the promo credit pack.
    Sorry you were unlucky, but at least make sure to claim your additional 5 boxes on the NA servers, too. If you drop a mount there, you'll also have it on EU.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | Heroes of Telara Discord | Extra Life 2017

>>> MONTHLY RIFT GIVEAWAYS <<<

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Sorry you were unlucky, but at least make sure to claim your additional 5 boxes on the NA servers, too. If you drop a mount there, you'll also have it on EU.
    I'm a little confused on why you seem to be defending this loot box system. What, exactly, is wrong with people paying a set amount of money and receiving the item they want in return for it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast