+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree351Likes

Thread: Let's talk lockboxes and Autumn harvest

My question is this... take the raven wings for example.

Put them for $10-20 in the store, in MY mind more people would outright buy them, even at freaking $20 a pop. Instead they decide to put something in a lockbox knowing people will spend MORE than the 10-20 bucks trying to get it.

Isn't that them basically taking advantage just for the sake of money? Which I get, its a company, they gotta make money. And maybe people want things to be ~rare~ so when they have them its ~special~ because not everyone has them. But again, I feel this is solved by having timed sales.

Personally, if I wanted something bad enough and knew it would help the game, sure, I'd do that. I won't gamble twenty bucks, but I will specifically buy something for that much. I care for the game, I care for the devs, I want the game to do well and produce more content... but. It doesnt feel right, it feels shady, I guess, is what I'm saying.

Here's an excellent example of the Free 2 Play game company Dauntless doing the right thing and removing lockboxes entirely because they felt it was unethical. They are selling items directly.

It's great to see some game companies going in a positive direction in this regard, and I hope the games I enjoy playing will follow suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U395pjPqfRw

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rivkah View Post
    Here's an excellent example of the Free 2 Play game company Dauntless doing the right thing and removing lockboxes entirely because they felt it was unethical. They are selling items directly.

It's great to see some game companies going in a positive direction in this regard, and I hope the games I enjoy playing will follow suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U395pjPqfRw
    this is fantastic, very timely, and lbr this video speaks my mind lol

Here's the article the video is referring to http://www.pcgamer.com/dauntless-is-...of-loot-boxes/ and this amazing quote

Everything I do, I want to do it with the player in mind and I want the player to feel like we're doing it for them to deliver a quality experience that they will then reward us with their money.

The player side of that is literally how I have always felt about Rift. I LOVE IT. I actually do want to give the developers money. God go back to my first ever thread back in 2012, I bought Rift in 2011 on a recommendation from a friend, I bought a short subscription to try it out, and I loved it so much that as soon as I could I upgraded to an annual subscription and went and bought both the addon packs that were available at the time (Ashes of History and Digital Collector's Edition) not because I felt I needed them but because I wanted to show my support with money.

I've come and gone a few times over the years, I have a short attention span, but I've always come back (no other game can say that) and even when I've been broke I've bought every expansion, I'm still a patron, I buy premium items. I'm not bragging or whatever and I don't do any of this because I feel like I have to "to win" or because my game experience is diminished if I don't, I do it because I love Rift and I want to reward the devs with money.

I enjoy playing Rift. I want Rift to thrive, I want to support the game and the talented, dedicated people who make it. It may not always sound like it on the forums but I notice the loving details and I respect the work that goes into this game. When Player 2 asked "we've been dating for a while and there's something I want to ask you... will you play an MMO with me?" I mean it was the most romantic thing ever but also I literally yelled "RIFT!" right there in the bagel shop even though it'd been ages since I'd played, because sharing a game you love with a person you love is just the best amirite.

I don't believe that the lockbox system is serving the game, the devs, or the players. I believe that Rift can do better. Rift has been a bold, cutting edge industry-changer so many times. Wish this had been one of the times.

Still, my more cynical side thinks maybe this chance for good PR will make the difference.
    Last edited by Phaeth; 11-02-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Personally my problem isn't even in the boxes, or the RNG itself. It's in the fact that not only you have to basically gamble for everything, paid or not, but your chances are also so terrible that you end up losing to the system most of the times. So instead of being a system of surprise rewards, what we have now is a system of surprise frustration that doesn't even surprise anyone at this point.

What was the most common explanation for using rng boxes back when the discussion just started? That people like surprises? Well sure they do. They don't however like to be disappointed on every roll, they don't like overpaying for something they normally wouldn't have bought, they don't like inserting coins for a chance to gamble. If I wanted to play candy crush, I wouldn't be playing Rift.

And even if we accept the fact that RNG is here to stay, why is it that it's implemented so differently within one game? We have dimension boxes that are, in my humble opinion, absolutely perfect (as a dimensioneer I have not once been disappointed opening one of the newer boxes). Why not take the approach we already have and apply it, as much as it's possible, to other things? I get it Rift might not be ready to say no to RNG (yet), but it is at least possible (clearly) to make this a little less unbearable to the players, so why nothing is being done to address it is just mindboggling.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Rift Master

All the times I have quit games is because of RNG. Left this game for a year because of recurrent sparkle prizes. Came back when it was free expac when I could have been patron for a year.

I don't gamble. Everytime I have even spent in game currency for something, I ended up feeling bad. Spent for 4 4 hr missions , didn't even get anything worth having.
    Last edited by tirza; 11-02-2017 at 05:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6