+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Bring back Ranged Weapons

Default Bring back Ranged Weapons

After posting in Bug Reports, I have been informed that Ranged Weapons are no longer sources of damage, only Stat increases. Does anyone else want Ranged Weapons to be brought back as they used to be--functioning auto-attack damage weapons? Currently, I have no ranged auto-attack and I miss how they were before.

Not me.

I am not sure that auto attacks were ever relevant to cleric and mage. Since I've played, casters have attacked from range with their main hand weapon.

Also, itemization for rogue was really annoying when some specs relied on ranged dps and the rest on main hand.

And in all cases it's a tiny amount of dps.

Plane Touched

ugh, please no

Soulwalker

Yeah, I have no desire for ranged weapons to have damage again.

However...There are lots of really nice looking wands out there, and we have NEVER gotten to see them in action! I find this a real shame as the artists have obviously done some great work on them, only to be relegated to obscurity.
    I would really love to see them at some point - if not for actual damage, perhaps when we cast our buffs? Fairly low on a priority list, but has been a bee in my bonnet since I started my cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokk View Post
    Yeah, I have no desire for ranged weapons to have damage again.

However...There are lots of really nice looking wands out there, and we have NEVER gotten to see them in action! I find this a real shame as the artists have obviously done some great work on them, only to be relegated to obscurity.
    I would really love to see them at some point - if not for actual damage, perhaps when we cast our buffs? Fairly low on a priority list, but has been a bee in my bonnet since I started my cleric.
    This. Or just make it a check box so the player could choose which skin to show, ranged or melee/main. I know a lot of people collect for the sake of collecting but there are so many pretty wand skins out there that we never get to show off.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

General of Telara

I'm still wondering what that "functioning auto-attack" the OP is talking about is supposed to be...
    Nothing has changed game play wise, the ranged toggle skill is still there, and is as useless as it has ever been. The only change was that no abilities scale with ranged weapon DPS stat anymore and consequently it got removed.

Mages and Clerics always switched back to melee weapons after any ability even before the removal of ranged DPS stat. Primalists do the same. And Warriors actually get a 30m range melee auto-attack (yea weird isn't it?) when they spec reaver or temptest...
    So Rogue is the only calling that actually ever does ranged auto-attacks, they still do from what I can tell, and they still are a marginalia at the very bottom of your DPS breakdown, just like melee auto attacks for melee souls.

But I totally agree that seeing Mages and Clerics use their wands in some ability animations would be nice...
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Plane Touched

oh I see what's going on here.......

please keep the Harry Potter RP on faeblight

Yeah I agree adding ranged dps back to ranged weapons is still a bad idea, you still use the animation of a ranged bow and its better for balancing if it scales from MH damage (especially with eternals), so I dont really see the problem other than sometimes glitching and spamming melee attacks with a bow/gun, but its just an animation bug and not a dps loss so...
    Nixia@Greybriar (and Laethys)

Rift Disciple

Default If ranged was really ranged dps then yes- otherwise no.

I like using magic. It is why I play high fantasy games. I like using wands. My main is a cleric and my next favorite is a mage. Unfortunately- the dps that the wands do is minimal. Which is nuts for a caster. It should be highly damaging. It would be great if the wand held as much dps as a hand held weapon- which in the hands of a skilled caster it would. Unfortunately- that is not how it is structured here. Swapping a weapon for a wand would be crazy in this game. Auto dps is a nice to have but not really viable. It makes magic use much less fun- in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    I'm still wondering what that "functioning auto-attack" the OP is talking about is supposed to be...
    Nothing has changed game play wise, the ranged toggle skill is still there, and is as useless as it has ever been. The only change was that no abilities scale with ranged weapon DPS stat anymore and consequently it got removed.

Mages and Clerics always switched back to melee weapons after any ability even before the removal of ranged DPS stat. Primalists do the same. And Warriors actually get a 30m range melee auto-attack (yea weird isn't it?) when they spec reaver or temptest...
    So Rogue is the only calling that actually ever does ranged auto-attacks, they still do from what I can tell, and they still are a marginalia at the very bottom of your DPS breakdown, just like melee auto attacks for melee souls.

But I totally agree that seeing Mages and Clerics use their wands in some ability animations would be nice...
    The ranged toggle now still toggles to using the Ranged weapon and animation, but no damage is done. So the Toggle Ranged Auto-attack button is now worthless except to see the old animation.

If there was a problem with scaling based on weapon, then they should have fixed that instead of removing the damaging functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Andracleric View Post
    I like using magic. It is why I play high fantasy games. I like using wands. My main is a cleric and my next favorite is a mage. Unfortunately- the dps that the wands do is minimal. Which is nuts for a caster. It should be highly damaging. It would be great if the wand held as much dps as a hand held weapon- which in the hands of a skilled caster it would. Unfortunately- that is not how it is structured here. Swapping a weapon for a wand would be crazy in this game. Auto dps is a nice to have but not really viable. It makes magic use much less fun- in my opinion.
    Yes, the DPS of wands was terrible, but at least it was a way to maintain active participation in a group event without having to spam all your skills.

There's another game I play more frequently than Rift and practically all weapons, both melee and ranged, do good auto-attack damage, although they differ in types of damage, speed, and affinitiy for types of builds. Of course, ranged weapons usually do less auto-attack damage than melee weapons, but it's still decent. It also makes the game more fun for new and casual players, because they can just do auto-attack damage in big group events to get participation, even if they haven't learned many weapon skills. I notice that people tend to be much more social and talkative in that game, which I partly attribute to the great auto-attacks for all classes.
    Last edited by Rodoa; 09-14-2017 at 04:54 PM.

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Tacitus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rodoa View Post
    Yes, the DPS of wands was terrible, but at least it was a way to maintain active participation in a group event without having to spam all your skills.
    You have indicated twice now a desire to have ranged auto-attack back as a way to do minimal participation in a public group activity.

That is a curious approach to encourage a change...

:-/
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    You have indicated twice now a desire to have ranged auto-attack back as a way to do minimal participation in a public group activity.

It is interesting to get credit without contributing much. Could it be referred to as leaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post

I have. Yes, I suppose it is an alien concept for Rift.

But let me go into more detail. In this other game I play, people get participation-based rewards and auto-attack is a way to stay in. However, you still have to select a new target when the first dies, and simply auto-attacking only grants a small amount of participation. Participation is ranked by how much you do in the group activity and rewards scale by that. Also, if you are simply auto-attacking a large boss for 15 minutes without pressing buttons, you would be be logged out. And Instant Adventure already causes people to lose participation if they leave the activity area or stop helping with the quest.

I know Rift isn't that other game, which is more casual, and perhaps ranged auto-attack is not right for Rift. But I still think removing it was a mistake.

Ral
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rodoa View Post
    I have. Yes, I suppose it is an alien concept for Rift.

But let me go into more detail. In this other game I play, people get participation-based rewards and auto-attack is a way to stay in. However, you still have to select a new target when the first dies, and simply auto-attacking only grants a small amount of participation. Participation is ranked by how much you do in the group activity and rewards scale by that. Also, if you are simply auto-attacking a large boss for 15 minutes without pressing buttons, you would be be logged out. And Instant Adventure already causes people to lose participation if they leave the activity area or stop helping with the quest.

I know Rift isn't that other game, which is more casual, and perhaps ranged auto-attack is not right for Rift. But I still think removing it was a mistake.
    Rift is designed to be highly technical rather then more strategic like say EverQuest (at least back when I played in '99 and the early aughts before Luclin) or full fledged strategy games. The entire design of the games combat system is focused around constant player focus and input, often with a 1s or lower response time expectation at a nearly constant rate for the majority of active encounters.

If you are looking for a game with a more relaxed, dynamic or paced combat system, I am sorry to say Rift is not it. Most content (at least that which involves combat as the primary engagement mechanism) in the game is built around this singular design with I expect little possibility for the design of more dynamic or variable means of encounter resolution.

Another issue for Rift with ranking rewards by participation based on contribution (i.e. damage/healing/tanking) is that there is a ridiculously large gap between top and bottom ends of players such that in say an IA, a select few players often dominate and would be granted far greater rewards or more likely cause far lesser rewards granted to the majority.

Add to this issues you already mentioned with participation in IA type content such as players unable to reach objectives to provide significant (and in some cases any) participation. Similar issues already manifest predominately in zone events where many players will simply wait near portals or spawns to engage the boss immediately/sooner, rather then participate in the broader content and risk being unable to reach the boss in time, or have to do excess work only to be meet with no rewards when an event fails.

These any many other issues that have yet to be resolved impede the ability for the game to support more varied play styles, especially toward end game content.
    Last edited by Ral; 09-14-2017 at 07:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast