Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree372Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: DEV CHANNEL??

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    That would require the owner to be willing to transfer the ownership, which was not the case initially and not just with this particular platform (people generally don't give away their stuff even if they quit, most would rather shut it down or abandon without letting anyone else take over, that's just human nature lol).
    Not actually the case Laeti and pretending to be an expert on it as you do most things should not go unaddressed from someone who actually knows so this community (any community) can learn and build even better projects.

I made the decision I did with discord because I don't hate anyone enough to say hey have this so you too can have all your decisions and (free) time judged by those who would go further in life if they applied the same amount of energy to their own successes and it was a great success. I absolutely appreciate every moment and person who enjoyed using thie discord I created including you however as you know I never started it expecting anyone but you, Dior and Nogardgib to use it because I invited you so we could stay in touch while I played other Trion games.

That was the big plan in late 2015.

The rest is history and I have spent every day tending to that history, no one else has but the deciding factor for closing the discord is because I didn't want to be responsible for anyone feeling forced to keep it or stay where they were never forced to be (except maybe TicTac because I asked him a bazillion times SORRY!) without that daily tlc which is the most human decision anyone who cares can make.

Now others can also discover what is needed to achieve the same and I hope better, now everyone can continue to be where they choose to be and it's exciting! So exciting and I wish everyone the best as always on discord, here, in game and everywhere we can keep sharing Telara.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Not actually the case Laeti and pretending to be an expert on it as you do most things should not go unaddressed from someone who actually knows so this community (any community) can learn and build even better projects.

I made the decision I did with discord because I don't hate anyone enough to say hey have this so you too can have all your decisions and (free) time judged by those who would go further in life if they applied the same amount of energy to their own successes and it was a great success. I absolutely appreciate every moment and person who enjoyed using thie discord I created including you however as you know I never started it expecting anyone but you, Dior and Nogardgib to use it because I invited you so we could stay in touch while I played other Trion games.

That was the big plan in late 2015.

The rest is history and I have spent every day tending to that history, no one else has but the deciding factor for closing the discord is because I didn't want to be responsible for anyone feeling forced to keep it or stay where they were never forced to be (except maybe TicTac because I asked him a bazillion times SORRY!) without that daily tlc which is the most human decision anyone who cares can make.

Now others can also discover what is needed to achieve the same and I hope better, now everyone can continue to be where they choose to be and it's exciting! So exciting and I wish everyone the best as always on discord, here, in game and everywhere we can keep sharing Telara.

Not sure where the whole "pretending" assumption is coming from but since we're all sharing our reasons here I might as well share the actual reasons why I left that discord then, as opposed to the "official" one that most people thought was the truth so far?

Now I did, genuinely, enjoy the Rift Discord back when it just started and I think that version was one of the best places for a friendly community at the time. Even with forums being far less toxic it was still a great welcoming place to chat, hang out and share things without being too restricted by any 'official' rules. That was, until it became a place where not only people got punished for simply trying to express their opinions, but at the same time (ironic!) a place where anyone could join in, screenshot whatever they liked, and share on other platforms in order to bash the people who thought they're completely safe in a well protected environment. What exactly was done to counter it? Well, nothing.

But that wouldn't even be the main reason, after all if I for example take part in a public discussion I can't really expect everyone to respect the initial platform it was held on. What I did expect though was fair moderation, which I could not add to as I, along with any other mod, could not openly say "this is my thing I do whatever I want with it". Neither could I just sit back and watch other people along with myself being judged for simply pointing out an issue, or trying to bring some dev attention to a bug, or expressing any non-praisal opinion on the game. I honestly could never understand why one group of grown up people has to be babysitted while the other less privileged group could be censored for anything that wasn't to the server owner's liking.

Quick example: a person X who would screenshot someone's discussion and then go post it somewhere else with trolling purposes would face zero reprecussions in the Discord because it was someting they did outside Discord (which meant, the mods had no right to punish these actions). Now a person Y is posting a polite and well written announcement, outside Discord, with zero mentions of said Discord server, that the person is leaving the game because of the company's decisions; and this person, somehow, gets demoted... for something they said on their personal platform with zero namecalling or trolling whatsoever. Who in their right mind would call that fair?

And even then, letting the situation go and pretending (oh here it is) that it's somehow okay, I've tried to suggest certain changes. Like, making moderation less personal and more fair, or, I dunno, having a rule against using content without people's permission, you know, the logical things. What did I get in return? A stab in the back by one mod, a complete lack of consideration by the server owner, and an ongoing stamp "that Discord's mod" for never openly opposing the whole manner of how the channel is handled.

So, whatever you reasons were for deleting the channel and trying to do the same with another one, and whatever ways the next 'official' discord's owners choose to operate it, I no longer feel obligated to pretend that the only reason I couldn't stay there anymore was my lack of free time. And this is the last time I'll reply to any assumptions made by you or other mods from your team on that matter. Have a nice day!
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

I never joined these Discord channels, but felt from the beginning that they were some "special snowflake" things. Not a problem when it is a private thing, but becomes one when Devs enter the place, and make it important.
    What I see now, people settling scores with each other, and some competition to be the next special thing makes me think I was right.

Devs, please, go back to forum communication, and open your own Discord if you want, but no more private elitist and subjective third party sites for official communication.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 09-15-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    I never joined these Discord channels, but felt from the beginning that they were some "special snowflake" things. Not a problem when it is a private thing, but becomes one when Devs enter the place, and make it important.
    What I see now, people settling scores with each other, and some competition to be the next special thing makes me think I was right.

Devs, please, go back to forum communication, and open your own Discord if you want, but no more private elitist and subjective third party sites for official communication.
    Statements like these are the reason many creators of fansites, channels and community events quit what they are doing. I agree, the main communication with the players should be on Trion's own sites, but people who put a lot time, effort and sometimes even money into community projects shouldn't be treated like this. Some people seem to always think that creators do it for fame/money/whatever and become jealous and salty.

I, for my part, appreciate the work everyone does, from small dimension events, to blogs, fan sites and channels and encourage everyone to join in! Don't listen to the haters, they are a minority, but always the loudest!
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    Don't listen to the haters, they are a minority, but always the loudest!
    If you really felt the need to call out Mordrahan as a hater after his post, you surely do not have the slightest clue what a hater is. And honestly, it's comments like yours that make me not want to partake in community projects.

Statements like these are the reason many creators of fansites, channels and community events quit what they are doing. I agree, the main communication with the players should be on Trion's own sites, but people who put a lot time, effort and sometimes even money into community projects shouldn't be treated like this. Some people seem to always think that creators do it for fame/money/whatever and become jealous and salty.

I, for my part, appreciate the work everyone does, from small dimension events, to blogs, fan sites and channels and encourage everyone to join in! Don't listen to the haters, they are a minority, but always the loudest!
    I didn't see anything hateful in Mord's post. It's just the facts that when the devs enter a fan-made platform owned by a member of the community while shunning others, it bestows favor on that channel. It became the only important place to be if you wanted communication with the devs, so it was actively harmful when moderation choices resulted in players being banned or stripped of privileges at the sole discretion of the channel owner. It's even worse that the channel itself now got deleted and everyone's in the dark, and records of past communication completely erased.

These are just the facts. No hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post

I totally agree with you, this game used to have many people playing it and one of main reasons was the team was actually communicating thru people over forums,skype,steam,IRC and answering most of questions.

They were making polls about what you wanna see, how you will focus on game.

Now Discord is something really nice for bringing communities together when you check some other games discord servers there is no special ranks for streamers (aint matter if streamer has 10k viewers!), addon developers, fan site operators when you join that servers everyone is equal none of given examples are VIP because all there to share their opinions about game or wanna hang out with community.

Such communities are also nice to bring new players and get their questions about game over forums, because they are instant messaging and other people online can answer that questions and help the newcomers.

I checked "new" discord and already iritated with requesting access to join discord at all, I might be new player who want to ask some questions before downloading game and get a clue, also I didn't like labelling everyone with ingame names, while I wanna share my opinions, I might be don't wanna get some weird pms in game with people who was against my opinions or some weird spams either while RIFT is not big game as used to be many of us already know each other anyway!

Trion should handle ownership of such community to prevent another incident happen like old discord, while they handle ownership they can assign some community mods and whenever anything you don't like mod did we can appeal anyway.

So It's better trion handles such community which will be safer for everyone and bring community together.

While I appreciate any of players trying to make such communities due to human nature they will always remain "private" instead of "public" community discords/platforms anyway.
    Last edited by aileen; 09-15-2017 at 03:25 AM. Reason: typo
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime (Level 60), Why trion bankrupted in nutshell
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Default Nah

Actually, most of us quit because of statements or decisions made my Trion management... I never thought about quitting because some stranger on the internet hurt my feelings, and as far as I knew, neither did anyone on my team... And I haven't seen anything that could possibly be considered "Hate" on this thread.
    Check out my website right here (Rift Raids)

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    Trion should handle ownership of such community to prevent another incident happen like old discord, while they handle ownership they can assign some community mods and whenever anything you don't like mod did we can appeal anyway.

So It's better trion handles such community which will be safer for everyone and bring community together.

While I appreciate any of players trying to make such communities due to human nature they will always remain "private" instead of "public" community discords/platforms anyway.
    I think this would ultimately be the best path forward. However, Trion doesn't have the CM team bandwidth or manpower to host and control something like this. It's a very good suggestion though, and one I think should be considered how to grow into it in the future.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

The way he concluded what Mordrahan said was the reason who stopped working on their "creative" stuff which is indirectly pointing as hate/negativeness speech, seriously I love how the seperate views having those who has trion creator/community bla bla members having with each other.

You guys should realize we are not against you or whatever you think, on the side of it we actually appreciate what you trying to do "most times".

When I was playing this game seriously many of my guild members from Special Olympics and Heresy also had such creative contents (like sites/streaming/video sharing) and they never directly felt any hate / negativeness from people for stopping doing it, why they stopped doing either they stopped playing game or fed up with state of game etc.

From what I see after SL, RIFT lost many portion of its players and was desperate to reconstruct its community, as you can see how "active" is forums. Game itself maybe doesn't have more than 5 or 6k online users, its not anymore in top 20 games of steam thou most people not connecting thru steam but its not case for another game from Trion which is called "Trove" and for getting in to top 20 of steam you only need 2k online users from steam itself for current standings which you can also check from here

Why I said this, I was discussing what happened to Discord and Kiwi's actions with Misterwibble on Stack on Eight's discord, he was keep defending her, while I do not have anything against her but just sharing what happend and what they did on discord to other people he keep defending until devs kicked from server he sided with me about what I say ironically.

So either you guys stop acting like "Trion Content Creators Syndicate" and be voice of Community or keep doing it and face with opposite side of thinking.

I always say what I see as truth, on some posts I'll defend devs and trion and some posts I'll say the things they won't want to hear.

As you see from whole forum community I only have Elrar as friend on forum meanwhile he is one of the best guys that game brought to me, I still have contacts with him on skype/steam and even on facebook and we keep talking and not loosing bonds like he is keep commenting on my photos with my kids and telling me how they grow up and same I'm doing with his activities meanwhile we never met in real life itself!

Thats how community should be, they should be friendly to players, they should listen players, I know designing game is hard, you can't satisfy everyone but if you keep making diversity between people things won't work.

On the discord stuff why I want it as trion managed with community mods is simple when you let your emotions cover your professional side you will do wrong decisions like Kiwi did on discord, she could either like many said pass the lead to someone or trion devs themself or just close her ears and act like this stuff never happening.

When she deleted that discord because it was "her" she didn't respect any other people, deleted their entire memories basically acted like a big kid with ball on street, its my ball and I won't let you guys play anymore, when that thing grow up to that much it actually stopped being her but community itself, but with the decision she made she actually proved what people was thinking about her moderation.

Anyway let's try to be community at least for a this time after years.
    Last edited by Lightforce22; 09-15-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Edited to remove post that violated forum rules.

It's not the feedback or opinion of someone that make a post hateful, it's the way you voice it.

Having the opinion that a communication channel should be run by the devs instead of community members. ---> Legit opinion

Calling those community members "special snowflakes" or "elitists" on the other hand, might not be a good way to voice your concerns. In MY opinion it is offensive, because it presumes that we do our projects only for our self and not for the community. Maybe next time I interview Archonix I should not record it and keep all the info for myself. Then people might not ask me everyday if I get paid by Trion or complain about audio quality or are salty in another way. Maybe next time I should only take Trion codes for me and my friends, instead of asking for a bunch to give them away to those who couldn't attend. Maybe I should not offer a new Discord for everyone to hang out and let other's do the work to keep it a safe and fun place for the non-toxic community.

Or maybe I just gonna continue what I'm doing, because haters gonna hate, but the rest still enjoys and is thankful for people who spend their free time to offer everyone a better experience.

Just stay positive guys, after all, we're a great community. Actually the best in all MMORPGs I played.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    I appreciate you also and just some insight. Mine was closed to the public because it had the word Rift. I started that channel in 2015 when Rift VR was also relevant creating bot spam out the wotoosie so I closed all but one channel because cleaning every channel regularly was a royal pita.

Anyone/thing created with malicious intentions seems to come with their very own special in-built trigger happy spam copy paste mechanism flooding every channel they can not just one. Hosting two channels at once at the time for two games - one was completely public, one wasn't based on how its used nothing else.

Many tend to think every decision made to host a Discord channel is personal which is banana's.

Discord is live, you have to consider a lot more factors than a static chat and ensure it doesn't take up every minute of everyone's day including your own, especially when you do it for free.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 09-15-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I appreciate you also and just some insight. Mine was closed to the public because it had the word Rift. I started that channel in 2015 when Rift VR was also relevant creating bot spam out the wotoosie so I closed all but one channel because cleaning every channel regularly was a royal pita.

Anyone/thing created with malicious intentions seems to come with their very own special in-built trigger happy spam copy paste mechanism flooding every channel they can not just one. Hosting two channels at once at the time for two games - one was completely public, one wasn't based on how its used nothing else.

Many tend to think every decision made to host a Discord channel is personal which is banana's.

Discord is live, you have to consider a lot more factors than a static chat and ensure it doesn't take up every minute of everyone's day including your own, especially when you do it for free.
    As I said I appreciate what you were did, even thou I was there for just 1.5months, It was good place to discuss some stuff with other people while having devs was extra and good too but you still taking stuff as personally and giving much more ace of spades to people who is against you, If I was in your place either don't ever listen all "PJSalt" stuff happening at all or If it was reaching limit I could handle I would take step down.

It is same for guilds ingame, when guild leader feels depressed or can't handle stuff he/she gives that duty to someone else, actually It happened to me when I was leading Heresy on vanilla, in the end instead of kicking everyone from guild or players who I had problems with I decided to step down from my duty then left guild and joined Special Olympics.

So in life we must take such decisions, things we create or start at beginning might be "mine" but time after time It becomes "ours".

Anyway thanks for your early dedication, hope this incident also bring some life experience to you for your future decisions.

Calling those community members "special snowflakes" or "elitists" on the other hand, might not be a good way to voice your concerns. In MY opinion it is offensive, because it presumes that we do our projects only for our self and not for the community. Maybe next time I interview Archonix I should not record it and keep all the info for myself. Then people might not ask me everyday if I get paid by Trion or complain about audio quality or are salty in another way. Maybe next time I should only take Trion codes for me and my friends, instead of asking for a bunch to give them away to those who couldn't attend. Maybe I should not offer a new Discord for everyone to hang out and let other's do the work to keep it a safe and fun place for the non-toxic community.

Or maybe I just gonna continue what I'm doing, because haters gonna hate, but the rest still enjoys and is thankful for people who spend their free time to offer everyone a better experience.

Just stay positive guys, after all, we're a great community. Actually the best in all MMORPGs I played.
    Again, you conflate criticism with hatred.

I also hope that you understand creators like you and the previous discord channel owner occupy a position of privilege in this community. You get extended access to the devs, their time, their hints about what's going to happen next, whereas the rest of us get nothing (and sometimes even less than that, some of us get banned).

I couldn't even get a dev to address ongoing targeted harassment of myself that had gone on for three years, as all of my PMs were ignored and the CSRs kept saying the issue was resolved when it wasn't. I sincerely doubt you'd be given the runaround or ignored to that extent, because you have a platform to speak on and you have the devs' ear and respect. I had to wait for my harasser to get bored with the game and quit.

Our criticisms of the system are not from a position of hatred, they're from a position of frustration that we aren't viewed with the same respect (or at least shown it). We're ignored, our concerns are dismissed, and we're made dependent on people like you. We were made 100% dependent on a certain discord if we wanted a single word in with the devs, and the people who got kicked or banned were made dependent on Clowd to relay those things that were discussed. Then that one platform gets shut down, leaving everyone in the dark while the devs continue to not adequately communicate plans for the future with us.

If you don't understand why that's frustrating for us and just dismiss it as hatred or baseless insults, I don't know what to tell you.

I've also been in other MMO communities and found them better because they were more welcoming of everyone's opinions, everyone's different "tones," had less policing on the forums and less of a caste system.
    Last edited by Rivkah; 09-15-2017 at 12:10 PM.

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #45

Quote Originally Posted by Natia View Post
    the person that shut it down gave no legit reason for doing so, not taking into consideration the large community that has formed over the time it was active. when theres thousands of members, its not "yours" anymore, theres a community attached to it. you dont want to run it anymore? pass it on. first the rift reddit fiasco, and now this
    Community members set up fan sites and communities all the time. It's their prerogative to keep/delete/sign the reigns over to someone else. It can be sad when you come to rely on a particular site for news and a place to hang out but they're under no obligation to continue and in fact, these kinds of things can be very time consuming to manage that they usually do of their own free will without any kind of pay or compensation. If there are things you ever want to keep from such a place (in the future at least), I highly recommend saving anything you want to keep for your own records locally.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast