Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree368Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: DEV CHANNEL??

Quote Originally Posted by Carox View Post
    I just don't see why the other discord just can't be passed down to someone else willing to take on the responsibilities. It has well over 3k members and is already established with developers there. When the owner shuts down this server, all of this vanishes. I just don't get the drastic measures being taken.
    That channel has a direct line of communication with instant responses from the developers rather than waiting for days on the forums, if people need to tell them about bugs etc. that may be game-breaking so it was essential in many ways.
    The developers don't really want to be part of Ghar Station because it's not a place for everyone for said reasons above by Clowd which I completely understand and I'm not trying to discourage anyone from being there over the other place. It's just fact. The one being shut down had a much more friendly environment because it was monitored more with well laid out rules.
    I appreciate what Kiwi did with her Discord, I thank her for all that she has done to keep things going, promote The Ghar Station (I had my own channel!) and to maintain an awesome community over there. It was her creation, and her responsibility, and she made the choice she wanted for how to maintain it, and ultimately to shut it down. If she doesn't want to transfer it, she doesn't have to. For better or worse.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Natia View Post
    when theres thousands of members, its not "yours" anymore, theres a community attached to it.
    No, it was very much still privately operated. If you think the number of sign ups change that, you are wrong. If you think that developers posting there changes that, that is also wrong. It could be moderated, restricted, or closed at the pleasure of its operator.

This was brought up here and elsewhere repeatedly. This possibility was absolutely foreseen. To pretend otherwise is to invite the same outcome again and again.

Attributing this to one person is not even a matter of fair or unfair, it is simply untrue.
    Last edited by archcomponent; 09-13-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    !

Clowd - You are right in saying that they don't have to but out of respect to their members, passing it down so we can continue to have that line of communication would be a good decision. That is just my opinion.
    I don't even have any issues if they decide to change their mind and continue to run it and put all of the channels back either.
    I just don't want to see it gone but I ultimately have no choice in the matter and that much is obvious.
    I just thought I would give my thoughts and opinion one last ditch of effort before it disappeared because then I can say at least I tried.
    Last edited by Carox; 09-13-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    <3 Your friendly RIFTer,
    Carox

Clowd - You are right in saying that they don't have to but out of respect to their members, passing it down so we can continue to have that line of communication would be a good decision. That is just my opinion.
    I don't even have any issues if they decides to change their mind and continue to run it and put all of the channels back either.
    I just don't want to see it gone but I ultimately have no choice in the matter and that much is obvious.
    I just thought I would give my thoughts and opinion one last ditch of effort before it disappeared because then I can say at least I tried.
    I do not like that it is gone like this either, and I would've preferred it be transferred to someone else. I'm just expressing the fact that, well, there's not much any of us can do about it right now. We need to find a positive way forward to keep the community together and constructive.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

The shuttering of this discord channel wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't the primary channel of communication between the devs and the players.

All this communication being lost should demonstrate how important it is for the devs to communicate on official channels that are owned by Trion, so that communication isn't left up to the caprices of a community member, who can just nuke it all on a whim.

I hope the closing of this discord channel will have the silver lining of increased dev interaction on the official forums.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitsyum View Post
    No official rules or anything yet
    "I sense a disturbance in the Force" already, no rules? that's just asking for trouble, sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    "I sense a disturbance in the Force" already, no rules? that's just asking for trouble, sorry to say.
    "Yet"

Remember it was made today, and the rules section is already there now.
    Nixia@Greybriar (and Laethys)

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post

There are rules, there is an entire section for rules.

Besides that, this discord has promise. It might be the first one I might actually tell everyone to join. It feels much more friendly and comfortable. Really great job making it and the channels are already coming together.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

I do think this is kind of a good thing as it gives the community a chance to start over with each other as it's been pretty divided for a long time now.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Rift Disciple

Default Tired of having to search for a medium to communicate....

IMHO- I do not see why the Forums are not used more. FFS it is supposed to be the "official" communication platform. As for toxic- hardly- compared to other forums I have been on. With the occasional exception- which seem to be tightly censored- most of the forum population offers valid criticism. If devs have to hop, skip and jump to various third party platforms to avoid talking to anyone who dislikes a particular thing in the game then that is crazy. Discord has its uses- but it will always be a privately held- not official- channel of anything and subject to the rules created by the moderator. I do not hardly ever use Discord myself- I pay for a Vent server which suits our guild fine, and it has a chat feature as well. I pay for 2 web sites for our guild-so there is little Discord has to offer except when grouping with other guilds. Why do I pay? I detest advertising on my sites, and wanton cookie collection. But that is me.

Ascendant

The new one is more relaxed but how can we get devs to join that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Andracleric View Post
    IMHO- I do not see why the Forums are not used more. FFS it is supposed to be the "official" communication platform. As for toxic- hardly- compared to other forums I have been on. With the occasional exception- which seem to be tightly censored- most of the forum population offers valid criticism. If devs have to hop, skip and jump to various third party platforms to avoid talking to anyone who dislikes a particular thing in the game then that is crazy. .
    THis.
    Take the opportunity to use the forum again for dev communication, as it should be.
    Players should not have to search for some private third party site to find information from devs. Taking this discord thing as normal is only an elitist view.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 09-14-2017 at 03:22 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Andracleric View Post
    Discord has its uses- but it will always be a privately held- not official- channel of anything and subject to the rules created by the moderator.
    Unless Trion makes their own server that belongs to the company. This way they can set their rules (reflecting the company's code of conduct to avoid any confusion), and assign mods they can trust to moderate it accordingly. They can even assign one (Clowd is the first person that comes to mind) who then can get a team of mods and promote/demote them according to common sense. The whole problem of a 'privately created server' is that the owner is always in control of what happens to it. No offense to the folks that made the new one, but that is always a risk. If the company owns it, on the other hand, the mods only have the rights that they are given to by the company. They can act as mods but have no control over the server itself (only over the moderation aspect).

If this was done, there would be no risk, at the same time the company itself wouldn't need to spend resources on the server as it would be handled by the community (hello ambassador program), however they would have the necessary deciding power for everything related to the server and that server could actually be called 'Official'.

But then I completely agree with the fact that even if that were to happen, it would still mean that all the official platforms are the primary source of player-dev communication, so anything discussed over on Discord would also take place here as well. Granted, the forums do have their own mods to take care of them ;)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

What could've been done was handing it over to Vladd as owner, changed the name to Trion Worlds and then still keep all of the roles, members, clearing all bans for a fresh start, have it somewhere linked to the Trion Worlds website and use it for ALL of their games so they can bring ALL of us together but it's too late for that now... lol
    Last edited by Carox; 09-14-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    <3 Your friendly RIFTer,
    Carox

What could've been done was handing it over to Vladd as owner, changed the name to Trion Worlds and then still keep all of the roles, members, have it somewhere linked to the Trion Worlds website and use it for ALL of their games so they can bring ALL of us together but it's too late for that now... lol
    That would require the owner to be willing to transfer the ownership, which was not the case initially and not just with this particular platform (people generally don't give away their stuff even if they quit, most would rather shut it down or abandon without letting anyone else take over, that's just human nature lol).
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast