+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
Like Tree200Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Future Plans - questions for Trion

  1. #1
    Ascendant Laeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,153

    Default Future Plans - questions for Trion

    So I know that we have a number of pressing matters and also Autumn Harvest and EL coming up, but this post is more about the general plans for the future of Rift.


    The reason is, from what I've been reading on the forums, there are no defined plans for the game that we know of, and that really bothers me as the game's been through a lot of changes lately and I don't know what to expect anymore.

    This is what it looks like from a player's perspective, reading the official channels and hearing things from other players:

    - No ETA on two major issues (IRCs and Fragments), not even a hint of which changes to expect;
    - No plans to revive or even work on PVP since it's been stated that Rift isn't and never was related much to PVP (which isn't true, PVP was very popular until it got changed to the point when it became a joke);
    - No plans to bring back either competitive raiding (meaning releasing the hard mode first for the top guilds to compete and then releasing NM and EM gradually to make it accessible to casuals thus making the content relevant for all players instead of just some) or larger scaled raiding (I believe it's been stated that we won't see any 20mans in the future);
    - Same goes for competitive and large scaled PVP - CQ is gone for good, open world pvp (and therefore pvp shards) are empty and forgotten about, no hints on whether we could hope on either of those being revived;
    - No known plans for any future expansions or even if we should expect any, although I know it's too early for this but still, I've personally heard a lot about SF being the last expansion for Rift;
    - No information about which model the game is to stay on - that is, in fact, important as we've seen that the last change failed and it'll be nice to know what to expect in terms of payment models in the future;
    - Nothing is being done to address the RNG and monetization issues lots of people have been talking about for months - and this is one of the most important things as it relates directly to how well the game could be supported in the future to ensure its development;
    - Finally, ever since the officially unconfirmed rumors about the challenge server there's been no information on what to expect from it, and what's more important - no discussion with the community whatsoever about what players want to see and what they don't want to see. Considering many changes have negative reputation solely because the community's opinion was completely ignored before releasing said changes, it is vital for the success of this whole idea that the players receive it well. It is not possible without actually asking the community what's their approach on this idea.

    So knowing all that, what are the plans, exactly?


    As you can see, there are many reasons behind the doubts and questions. This can seem even more frustrating considering that last time we've been promised a Producer's letter it took months of waiting and nothing too concrete. The lack of communication doesn't just mean we don't see too many replies on the forums, it also means we're kept in the dark about the future of the game, which I think we have a right to know about. Personally I love this game, I've been playing it and enjoying it way longer than my forum join date suggests, and I've never stopped supporting it one way or another. I want to know what to expect for the future of the game, what to hope for and what not to hope for. I also believe that if there's an honest answer to some of these questions (as in, "no, there are no plans to work on X issue whatsoever because this and that"), even if it's not what we want to hear, it's still better than saying nothing at all and keeping people waiting for something they shouldn't be waiting for.

    I really hope to see some answers. I'm very tired of wondering. Thank you!
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

  2. #2
    RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    large scaled PVP - CQ is gone for good
    You're in for a pleasant surprise, CQ is getting totally reworked but might not see it until next year, but you didn't hear it from me.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched thunder 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    You're in for a pleasant surprise, CQ is getting totally reworked but might not see it until next year, but you didn't hear it from me.
    Are you being serious? If you are can you say the source of this news?

    Thunder

  4. #4
    Ascendant Laeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    You're in for a pleasant surprise, CQ is getting totally reworked but might not see it until next year, but you didn't hear it from me. :wink:
    If there's a source to back it up - that's great, of course, but I also heard Archonix asking stuff about PVP and what would the community like to see, and then some months later we get a response that Rift isn't a PVP game so go play Archeage :) That doesn't make a lot of sense and should be communicated via official sources to stop the confusion.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    218

    Default Well stated Laeti

    Thanks for your well stated post. I think it is pretty much apparent the future is heading towards maintenance mode.

  6. #6
    Champion sirdiggby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    567

    Default

    lol why would they bother with cq when they cant even bother to make minor hotfixes to current pvp.
    the pvp pop is already mostly gone, and there are other pvp games on the horizon.

    as for the OP i think addressing leveling is something that needs to be done. im not sure how they think forcing new players to constantly grind the same boring IAs is a good way to entice a player to stay. at least add all the other raids into the mix.

    how about making some pvp IAs. nothing fancy just some basic soul skills on your bar for everyone depending on soul, just for varietiy's sake.

    if IA is the way to go to lv then there are ways to spice it up. i cerntainly wouldn't spend a dime on this game as a new player looking at how the leveling is.

  7. #7
    BMX
    BMX is online now
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    169

    Default

    All I can say of a "challenge" server is how better to divide the community. This would be a travesty in and of itself.

    Here we are with Trion's dev team needing better direction in many ways. It's not that the dev team isn't talented, it's more a lack of direction and the scope of the game thus suffering as a result. I firmly believe that too much effort is going into nerfs, as opposed to tailoring the mage, cleric and warrior classes to be competitive with primy/rogue. Another issue is RNG being a part of class performance. This needs eradicated and class performance shall be based purely on stats of the toon. Another thing that has many peeps frustrated is PvP content. (or lack thereof)
    To claim that Rift was never a PvP game is baloney sausage!!
    I'll say this once more... Either resolve the souls or delete the irrelevant souls, simple as that!
    It's utter rubbish that there are souls that are not viable in current content.

    IRC's need to be either limited to instance reset or eliminated. There is no excuse for zone content to involve P2P.

    PvP and CQ need to be resolved.
    Raids need to be nice new content and not a repeat of Adam 12.
    Classes need to be properly balanced.
    Souls need to be renovated and relevant or eliminated.


    Again, we have the talent on the payroll. How bout it, dev team?
    *Drops challenge in Trion's Dojo)*

    If the paywall system was replaced with a system that entices peeps to play (or return) we would likely see a handsome increase in revenue stream for Trion in general. After all, dormant players aren't likely to buy credits or IRC's, are they? Making the game enticing to new players is another way to resolve the "Active Player Crisis" that we have currently. After implementing a fair and VALUE packed strategy, promoting the game in earnest is imperative, from reaching out to the current account holders to advertising for new players.

    Without the above, the game has no future.
    Sad state of affairs as Rift started out as a magnificent franchise and deserves some love.
    Banned

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    226

    Default

    My observations and questions for the team:

    You have a potentially great product here. And the players know that. Despite everyone that is currently a paying customer you have throngs more that are openly telling you if you dedicated the necessary resources to this game they would throw money at you in a heartbeat.

    Your team has repeatedly and clearly admitted they don't have a large enough team to keep up with player progression in this game. Let alone fix all the things that are broken in it. And let's be clear: there are a LOT of things that need to be fixed.

    95% certain the "Team" that works on soul development and class balancing is just Keyens. Maybe a 3 person team developing raids. As far as I (or anyone) can tell you have no pvp department. In fact it is openly admitted by multiple devs that they hate pvp because it makes other parts of the game difficult to balance. And do you actually have anybody who's responsibility it is to fix the broken things that have been in the game for years now? Or is one of the reasons you can't keep up with demand because the people who are supposed to be developing new content are forced to split their time?

    Your art team is on point. Every objective review of new content always seems to include how pretty it is and how much of a shame it is that the rest of the development team can't do the art in this game justice.

    So I guess my question is: why do you refuse to allocate the resources necessary to make this game succeed? Are you going to expand your team to meet this blatantly obvious need ever? how about anytime soon?

  9. #9
    Rift Master aileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Just 1 thing we need to learn actually and its "State of Game"
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    GCDDisplay - Tweaked a simple way to track your gcd.
    Some Gadgets tweaks
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch
    Current state of game:

  10. #10
    BMX
    BMX is online now
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neurotix View Post
    My observations and questions for the team:

    You have a potentially great product here. And the players know that. Despite everyone that is currently a paying customer you have throngs more that are openly telling you if you dedicated the necessary resources to this game they would throw money at you in a heartbeat.

    Your team has repeatedly and clearly admitted they don't have a large enough team to keep up with player progression in this game. Let alone fix all the things that are broken in it. And let's be clear: there are a LOT of things that need to be fixed.

    95% certain the "Team" that works on soul development and class balancing is just Keyens. Maybe a 3 person team developing raids. As far as I (or anyone) can tell you have no pvp department. In fact it is openly admitted by multiple devs that they hate pvp because it makes other parts of the game difficult to balance. And do you actually have anybody who's responsibility it is to fix the broken things that have been in the game for years now? Or is one of the reasons you can't keep up with demand because the people who are supposed to be developing new content are forced to split their time?

    Your art team is on point. Every objective review of new content always seems to include how pretty it is and how much of a shame it is that the rest of the development team can't do the art in this game justice.

    So I guess my question is: why do you refuse to allocate the resources necessary to make this game succeed? Are you going to expand your team to meet this blatantly obvious need ever? how about anytime soon?
    This ^^

    As for making the game great again, the franchise is top notch in theory. Why the team is shrunken to where it is currently is a great question, indeed.
    If and provided the team were afforded the man power to do the required job and come forth with viable content, we as a community as well as Trion would all benefit. As it is, we have an
    "Active Player Crisis" of epic proportions and it feels as though it's all over but the shoutin.

    How can we feel that we are getting VALUE from the current situation, as zone activities are IRC required? I know many players that once they discovered this to be a fact, they split.
    We the community are simply hoping to see this become loaded with the level of VALUE that we saw in SL and vanilla.

    How can we as a community contribute to a solution? What would it take to get the stakeholders to invest in the title (And no, there shall be no Rift budget subsidy for any other title). Sorry if the subsidy statement sounds harsh, it's only meant to say that other titles shall either sink or swim, since Rift is NOT in a position to loose it's budget and loose players.

    The necessities are;

    1. A team lead that has a keen understanding of the game from its inception. What that means is very simple, Hybrid specs are and were the basis of Rift's supremacy.
    Souls SHALL be viable, period!!

    2. Said team lead shall oversee the projects (Expansion or Interim Rollout i.e. 4.1, 4.2) and be responsible for the quality and quantity of content.

    3. Trion shall bring in appropriate talent to perform development of the game in an appropriate manner as dictated by the original (vanilla) game qualities, i.e. all callings shall have relevant souls for current content. Souls that are left unresolved shall be placed in storage for future use.

    4. PvP shall have a group of developers dedicated to its development and maintenance.
    This includes the return of Conquest content

    5. Raid content shall have T-Zero content in both 10 and 20 man format. (TD Easy as in)
    Foget the intrepid raids, it's time to develop content.

    6. Raid content shall have T-1 content, again, involving 10 and 20 man format.

    7. To extend the life of an expansion to make way for the team responsible for Expac development, the team responsible for raid content shall come forth with T2/T3 content.

    The largest detriment to MMO/RPG's is when the playerbase feels as though they are not recieving much, if anything in return for their hard earned cash. The average player is NOT interested in having to redo their specs routinely to remain viable. Paywalls in addition to
    patron are a tough pill to swallow. People can and do vote with their wallets...

    So, on to the questions for Trion et al...

    1. What can we as a community expect in future content?

    2. Will there be an improvement to raid content?

    3. Will PvP ever return?

    4. How about an expansion on par with Storm Legion?

    5. Will Trion promote the game in order to bring people into game?

    6. Long story short, do we have a future in Rift?

    While I do believe we have a very talented dev team, I also believe they are spread too thin. With that said, I think that the stakeholders need to invest in Rift and bring it back to a viable franchise. The dividends will come with proper development based on Rift and what it was intended to be. This does NOT mean that the Rift budget is welfare for any other title, again, those can sink or swim.
    Banned

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser Rivkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Additionally there's no rework of BM and the other supports despite being promised by Keyens to have happened at the same time as Mystic coming out.

    Communication on garden variety bug reports has improved significantly, but I'm still not seeing much of any improvement regarding important, big, systemic problems such as IRC, P2W, balance, and plans for the future. We still have to rely upon a drip feed of secondhand info from Discord.

    In terms of the big issues that a lot of people want to talk about, we're getting silence on the forums. It says everything that a bug report with only a few views gets an almost immediate response, but the "Discrepancies in Individual Rewards Charges," a thread with almost 200 likes, has been completely ignored.

    Honestly, the dropoff in engagement with the forums says it all. I started a thread meant to spark discussion on ways to improve the support roles, but people are barely saying anything. Probably because people don't feel like any of it would be listened to or implemented at any point in the future. It's clear that if you're not on Discord, you're not treated like a full member of the community.
    Last edited by Rivkah; 09-10-2017 at 06:08 PM.

  12. #12
    Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivkah View Post
    Honestly, the dropoff in engagement with the forums says it all. I started a thread meant to spark discussion on ways to improve the support roles, but people are barely saying anything. Probably because people don't feel like any of it would be listened to or implemented at any point in the future. It's clear that if you're not on Discord, you're not treated like a full member of the community.
    I think the drop off in forum engagement has more to do with the constant back and forth between people arguing about one thing or another, flaming devs / Trion . This isn't pointed at anyone specifically, but just in a general sense. There are of course people who do indeed feel like they aren't listened to as you pointed out, but I don't think that's entirely true. We know devs read the forums, but they don't reply and that's really the crux of the issue I suppose. People can make all of the suggestions they want, but that doesn't mean they're always feasible. We need and want more information on what's coming down the pipeline or even a more concrete of idea when that information will be announced even if we can't be given the specifics just yet.

    Two livestreams ago we were told that after Pax and Gamescom had died down that we would likely be getting some more news as to what's coming and while that was supposed to take place last Friday... we instead got Dead simon running around dropping artifacts, which don't get me wrong, are amazing! but it's not the stream we all wanted and waited for. They even went out of their way to mention that they had stuff that they thought and assumed they would be talking about on the stream, but had to shelf it at the last minute as it wasn't ready. We get that they don't want to announce stuff unless they're 100% sure they'll be releasing it within the time that they announce because they know people will hold them to that and will otherwise riot if they don't. Similar to how challenge servers were only mentioned as an idea on paper and specifically pointed out that it may not even come to be, but they were throwing ideas around, but I see the occasional post asking where those servers are at and in one instance someone thought they were vanilla servers.

    In short. I think the main the people want is better communication in regard to content updates so that we at least have some idea of what to "expect". Everyone has been dying to know even the slightest tidbit of what the fragment overhaul could be or even what possible ideas are being thrown around. This would lead to more discussion between devs and players much like the discussion thread that came from beta when frags were first introduced.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 09-10-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

  13. #13
    RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunder 1 View Post
    If you are can you say the source of this news?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    If there's a source to back it up - that's great
    All i can say for 'sources' are two words, Archonix and Gamescom, i don't want to jump the gun and steal other people's news but wait for the juicy bits of members of the Rift Community interviewing Archonix.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser Rivkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    I think the drop off in forum engagement has more to do with the constant back and forth between people arguing about one thing or another, flaming devs / Trion . This isn't pointed at anyone specifically, but just in a general sense. There are of course people who do indeed feel like they aren't listened to as you pointed out, but I don't think that's entirely true. We know devs read the forums, but they don't reply and that's really the crux of the issue I suppose. People can make all of the suggestions they want, but that doesn't mean they're always feasible. We need and want more information on what's coming down the pipeline or even a more concrete of idea when that information will be announced even if we can't be given the specifics just yet.

    Two livestreams ago we were told that after Pax and Gamescom had died down that we would likely be getting some more news as to what's coming and while that was supposed to take place last Friday... we instead got Dead simon running around dropping artifacts, which don't get me wrong, are amazing! but it's not the stream we all wanted and waited for. They even went out of their way to mention that they had stuff that they thought and assumed they would be talking about on the stream, but had to shelf it at the last minute as it wasn't ready. We get that they don't want to announce stuff unless they're 100% sure they'll be releasing it within the time that they announce because they know people will hold them to that and will otherwise riot if they don't. Similar to how challenge servers were only mentioned as an idea on paper and specifically pointed out that it may not even come to be, but they were throwing ideas around, but I see the occasional post asking where those servers are at and in one instance someone thought they were vanilla servers.

    In short. I think the main the people want is better communication in regard to content updates so that we at least have some idea of what to "expect". Everyone has been dying to know even the slightest tidbit of what the fragment overhaul could be or even what possible ideas are being thrown around. This would lead to more discussion between devs and players much like the discussion thread that came from beta when frags were first introduced.
    The Warhammer devs also had "tons of great stuff coming up" and lots of plans for the future that never got announced or discussed with the public. When I hear this sort of stuff, I get flashbacks. It really doesn't bode well.

    It's also impossible to tell if the devs are reading our forum posts when there's so little engagement with the issues that most players care about. When we see a bug with the rift store, for example, that gets fixed immediately with an immediate dev response. Meanwhile, reworking the crates took literal years of non-response before they were improved. Players' patience is getting low, especially after having been asked to pay for this expansion for 8 months of it.

    I get that people are impatient and might "flame" the devs, but ignoring our valid issues with the game doesn't help. It's a vicious cycle. When people feel like they are being ignored, they get mad. When they hear that specific people are privy to attention, care and knowledge that they aren't, they get even madder (look at the responses each time Clowd has to do Discord transcripts for people to know what's about to happen in the game). It's basic human nature.
    Last edited by Rivkah; 09-11-2017 at 12:10 AM.

  15. #15
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    All i can say for 'sources' are two words, Archonix and Gamescom, i don't want to jump the gun and steal other people's news but wait for the juicy bits of members of the Rift Community interviewing Archonix.
    Don't get me wrong, I believe that they told you this. I just don't believe them. If it was only slightly true, they wouldn't delay announcing it officially and let players bleed away in the meantime. They would officially announce it and make a ****ton of customers happy / stopping the bleeding. And what's the logic behind first ignoring PVP, then deliberately butchering it, and then coming with a completely new revamped PVP CQ?

    My initial reaction even was to return to Rift and get ready, until my healthy skepticism took over. Besides, it's not realistic, what players are going to take part in such massive battles? Are they assuming each and everyone of us is going to go paymalist to avoid getting oneshotted?
    Last edited by Xlavius; 09-12-2017 at 10:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts