+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Samuraiko

Thread: When does Rifts lore start to shine?

Soulwalker

Default When does Rifts lore start to shine?

I was a big fan of wow from vanilla - wotlk. I saw this game and it looked very similar so I thought I'd give it a shot. I started playing last night and got to level 15 (also bought my first mount! Woo). Anyway I basically started playing because I wanted that mmo feel with a new lore that I could get into.

But so far playing the game the lore isn't that interesting to me and the quests feel very repetitive. I don't mind the Q's since it's an mmo and all RPGs are like that.

I'm just wondering when do you think the lore really shines? Which zone or level range should I be looking forward to?

Which faction are you?
    The story is different if you are Guardian or Defiant, so better to make a toon in each faction. to do 1-50 storyquests (quests are the same in SL-NT-SFP zones).
    And you need to pay attention to quest text, NPC dialogs, and many little things around you. Have you explored the noob zone? it is full of bits of lore, but you need to search for them.

RIFT lore is very rich but you need to find many bits and reasemble the puzzle. Look at everything you find. Books collected have lore in them, artifacts have lore secrets in them, many things around you hidden or not give lore info.

Mathosia (1-50) has saga quests, these are the things you must aim for.
    Each zone has a storyline behind quests. Follow the NPC guiddance and you will do well.
    Carnage are mob kill without story.

the new zones (65-70) have quests with NPC following you (like in wow) and if you read what they say they make a good summary of RIFT lore for those who need help to understand the whole story.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Another mention for the sagas - while the various quests around the zones are good for 'local flavour', the sagas are great for the bigger picture of Telara (and later, BEYOND Telara). And leveling up both a Guardian and a Defiant is a good way to go because through 1-50, their goals and focuses are very different.

Once you hit Storm Legion, you get a different set of choices, to either head to Brevane (which goes like this - "green, green, more green, even more green, desert, HOLYCRAPTHEFORESTISPSYCHEDLICANDTRYINGTOEATMYFACE, more desert and bugsbugsbugsbugsbugs"), or to Dusken (which goes like this - "stormy and beautiful but ZAVIELSHUTUPALREADY, barren, grody, barren, ALL HAIL CRUCIA AD NAUSEUM"). Unlike the Guardian/Defiant thing, though, you CAN do both sets of content, so if you get bored/stuck with one, just head over to the other.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post
    Once you hit Storm Legion, you get a different set of choices, to either head to Brevane (which goes like this - "green, green, more green, even more green, desert, HOLYCRAPTHEFORESTISPSYCHEDLICANDTRYINGTOEATMYFACE, more desert and bugsbugsbugsbugsbugs"), or to Dusken (which goes like this - "stormy and beautiful but ZAVIELSHUTUPALREADY, barren, grody, barren, ALL HAIL CRUCIA AD NAUSEUM").
    Best description ever done for the SL zones
    But you forgot to mention mountains have teeth in Serratos and the wonderful music and unique architecture there...
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 08-13-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hvppy View Post
    I was a big fan of wow from vanilla - wotlk. I saw this game and it looked very similar so I thought I'd give it a shot. I started playing last night and got to level 15 (also bought my first mount! Woo). Anyway I basically started playing because I wanted that mmo feel with a new lore that I could get into.

But so far playing the game the lore isn't that interesting to me and the quests feel very repetitive. I don't mind the Q's since it's an mmo and all RPGs are like that.

I'm just wondering when do you think the lore really shines? Which zone or level range should I be looking forward to?
    I rolled defiant. Playing as a warrior atm. I'll try reading the quests and seeing if that helps.

On wow there were some quests when a Npc follows you around to do an objective towards the lore. Are there quests like that in this game? Also any cut scenes on this game besides the first one?

And lastly how are the dungeons in this game, fun to do?

Some of the items are a little confusing. Do you know any guides that help explain some of the items better? I get the planar fragments from rifts that use 1 when I use some skills but I got no idea about everything else besides equipment lol

I rolled defiant.
    That's certainly a step in the right direction!

On wow there were some quests when a Npc follows you around to do an objective towards the lore. Are there quests like that in this game?
    Yes, some of the Saga quests have this, and the whole questline in Planetouched Wilds (it's generally recommended after you finish NT stuff and gear up for 65) involves NPCs following you around, some think they're annoying I personally find them adorable.

Also any cut scenes on this game besides the first one?
    No cut scenes, sorry.

And lastly how are the dungeons in this game, fun to do?
    If you find a group to do old dungeons with - yes, it's definitely fun and also a huge part of the lore, like all the other "puzzle pieces" (quests, books, artifact sets, events etc). Generally newer dungeons (NT and above) are more popular due to most players being 65-70, but since you can't do lower lvl stuff via LFG unless you specifically choose low lvl dungeons (which most people don't), you'll be getting the same few instances over and over again and eventually grow tired of them. However art and mechanics in pretty much every dungeon are great, can be loads of fun with a good group of people. Unfortuately, making old dungeons scale to all levels is not in the works.

Some of the items are a little confusing. Do you know any guides that help explain some of the items better? I get the planar fragments from rifts that use 1 when I use some skills but I got no idea about everything else besides equipment lol
    If you're talking about planar fragments (I'm a bit confused at the "using skills" part) then you don't need to worry about them until you're higher level and even then you'll only want the good ones. You can equip them in your Planar Fragments UI (one of the Character UI tabs), and even have different sets of them, just be very careful about what to upgrade unless you want to lose a bunch of plat and other resources for a crappy result. You'll be getting literal tons of them to the point when you'll need to recycle most of them to make room for new ones, and even then most of them will be bad. But hey you can also get lucky lol.

Here's a great guide by The Ghar Station - pretty much everything you need to know about frags. Actually just check out the whole website, it's awesome and has tons of info about the game.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    That's certainly a step in the right direction!

Yes, some of the Saga quests have this, and the whole questline in Planetouched Wilds (it's generally recommended after you finish NT stuff and gear up for 65) involves NPCs following you around, some think they're annoying I personally find them adorable.

No cut scenes, sorry.

If you find a group to do old dungeons with - yes, it's definitely fun and also a huge part of the lore, like all the other "puzzle pieces" (quests, books, artifact sets, events etc). Generally newer dungeons (NT and above) are more popular due to most players being 65-70, but since you can't do lower lvl stuff via LFG unless you specifically choose low lvl dungeons (which most people don't), you'll be getting the same few instances over and over again and eventually grow tired of them. However art and mechanics in pretty much every dungeon are great, can be loads of fun with a good group of people. Unfortuately, making old dungeons scale to all levels is not in the works.

If you're talking about planar fragments (I'm a bit confused at the "using skills" part) then you don't need to worry about them until you're higher level and even then you'll only want the good ones. You can equip them in your Planar Fragments UI (one of the Character UI tabs), and even have different sets of them, just be very careful about what to upgrade unless you want to lose a bunch of plat and other resources for a crappy result. You'll be getting literal tons of them to the point when you'll need to recycle most of them to make room for new ones, and even then most of them will be bad. But hey you can also get lucky lol.

Here's a great guide by The Ghar Station - pretty much everything you need to know about frags. Actually just check out the whole website, it's awesome and has tons of info about the game.
    Sorry I was talking about those shards you get from doing rifts, and how it uses one for some of the skills I have.

Thanks for the guide I'll check it out, the fragments was something I was really confused about.

For promotion codes, is it possible to use more than one? I found one online that gave me a 16 slot bag and a free title. But when I try to use another one it keeps giving me an error.

Lastly any other tips or guides for a newbie? I just hit level 25 last night, started questing in stonefield.

I tried leveling up some of my professions, I went with butcher mining and armorsmith, is that a good combination or should I swap one of them out for something better?

The dailies for the drafting currency that allows me to buy recipes, should I buy low level recipes with it? Or keep saving for higher level ones?

I'm kinda confused about all the currencies this game has, which is the best for buying gear?

Thanks for all your guys help I really appreciate it

Sorry I was talking about those shards you get from doing rifts, and how it uses one for some of the skills I have.
    If you talk about things like soul shard, or mirror of Crucia, or the fire thing shielding you, they are one-shot consumables and do what is written on the tooltip.
    If you talk about planar charges, you can use them for planar harmonisation skills (level 50+), to open a rift tear, to upgrade a stone during zone events, and to buff you for a short period against planar mobs.

For promotion codes, is it possible to use more than one?
    No if you try to use the same type twice.

I tried leveling up some of my professions, I went with butcher mining and armorsmith, is that a good combination or should I swap one of them out for something better?
    Crafts allow you to make your own stuff while you level, and give acces to BIS stuff at 70.
    You have a good choice here. Metal sells well on the AH. Armorsmith will be useful.

The dailies for the drafting currency that allows me to buy recipes, should I buy low level recipes with it? Or keep saving for higher level ones?
    As you want. If you are completionist you will want all recipes. Some low level blue crafts are really good, and you can get pretty wardrobe skins too.

I'm kinda confused about all the currencies this game has, which is the best for buying gear?
    You don't have So many currencies.

While leveling, use void stones and planarite to buy planar gear until lv 50 (each zone has a planar vendor NPC selling gear). It will help you.
    Void stones are the currency you get from carnage quests and zone events. You can buy world gear with it all the way to 70.
    Planarite is from rifts and you will need tons of it at level 70. While you level, use it for the 7500 planarite focus.

Crafting currencies are from daily crafting quests, do them to level your craft and make money, and use the marks for recipes.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 08-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Ascendant

Stonefield is when it started shining for me, so around level 20. When I found puzzles and fun titles which gave me time/inclination to understand lore is also in artifacts.

There is too much currency in this game which I do hope gets culled soon helping new and vet folk but otherwise check out:

KFGuides for puzzles up to level 50, there are more for higher levels which I may link when I have more time.

Magelo for artifact collections or just press C in game and find Artifacts there.

GLHF.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-14-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    <a href=https://twitter.com/wootafk target=_blank>https://twitter.com/wootafk</a>

Lastly any other tips or guides for a newbie? I just hit level 25 last night, started questing in stonefield.
    Generally if you wish to take the traditional way and don't want to miss any lore (which is easily one of the best parts of this game, IMO), then just have fun questing, there's plenty to do besides that (getting a dungeon group here and there, crafting, exploring, hunting artifacts and player housing as well). If you feel like you can't complete a certain task, just return to it later on a higher level, for example you'll be able to solo some old raids after you're 65 and geared well, so even if you skip some things you'll always have something to go back to whenever you like (same goes for achievements).

You can absolutely level all your crafting professions without buying any recipes from the store. I'd recommend only using trainer recipes for leveling up, and then after you hit max skill level (or any level you're okay with for the moment) - check out the store for recipes you really like. By the time you level your skills enough you'll also have some crafting currency built up to afford many of those recipes and choose which ones you like or need the most.

You can check the store for level appropriate gear - it'll show you the currency you need at any point of your leveling process. Don't forget to also check the AH from time to time to see if there's any nice gear and/or weapons selling there, the prices are usually more than friendly (except for the high level endgame stuff) and people often sell good gear from their random loot and wardrobe unlocks, so there's a good chance to pick up something nice without having to farm and spend store currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    You can check the store for level appropriate gear - it'll show you the currency you need at any point of your leveling process. Don't forget to also check the AH from time to time to see if there's any nice gear and/or weapons selling there, the prices are usually more than friendly (except for the high level endgame stuff) and people often sell good gear from their random loot and wardrobe unlocks, so there's a good chance to pick up something nice without having to farm and spend store currency.
    I usually find low level gear being sold at ridiculously high prices in AH (several pp is nothing for a 70 toon, but it is a fortune for a low level toon), so better to use planar 1-50 gear (sold for some void stones and planarite), and quest/crafted gear for higher levels. Leveling is fast, you can get some really good blue quest gear in SL zones (I remember doing a Serratos quest at level 51 and getting a staff good until level 55), and you will change gear fast.
    Try to keep your gear same level as you, because if this is not the case you will feel your power decreasing even if your level increases. Happens when you have more than 3-4 lv difference.

Don't buy anything from the AH, except if you find something really cheap, keep your pp for your mount and things you will have to buy. Try to sell nice looking gear you don't use in AH, wardrobe collectors often buy these for good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    I usually find low level gear being sold at ridiculously high prices in AH (several pp is nothing for a 70 toon, but it is a fortune for a low level toon), so better to use planar 1-50 gear (sold for some void stones and planarite), and quest/crafted gear for higher levels. Leveling is fast, you can get some really good blue quest gear in SL zones (I remember doing a Serratos quest at level 51 and getting a staff good until level 55), and you will change gear fast.
    Try to keep your gear same level as you, because if this is not the case you will feel your power decreasing even if your level increases. Happens when you have more than 3-4 lv difference.

Don't buy anything from the AH, except if you find something really cheap, keep your pp for your mount and things you will have to buy. Try to sell nice looking gear you don't use in AH, wardrobe collectors often buy these for good price.
    Might be true for EU (or your shard in particular), but on NA low level gear is very cheap on the AH, I'm not talking several pp cheap, but several gold cheap. So depends on where the OP is playing really.

+ Reply to Thread