+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree101Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Sigils of Valor (An Unnecessary Change)

@Neurotix thank you for the response:)

I understand the reasons behind limiting the content, it is indeed important to somehow slow the player down instead of letting them burn through content. That's all clear and I have no problems with that. However there are two issues I personally see here.

1. If the game has taken the direction of catering to casual folks instead of "hardcore" (in any way), then first off I believe this should have been better communicated before announcing the expansion, so that people would know what to expect and what not to expect. Honesty would have alienated some people, but it would definitely hurt the game and its reputation much less than broken promises and failed expectations. But what's done is done, and now we have a game catering to casuals. It would have been fine but let's be honest, lots and lots of casual players are only casual because they can't afford the time to be hardcore. Jobs, families and all that. Now, a more hardcore player or a casual that has all the time on their hands can spend hours on end farming content, then take a break and go farm some more. Casuals that don't have that much time are already limited, and when the game limits them even more, they get frustrated and stop playing. For example, someone like me who only has maybe couple hours of playtime at best (and every other week might not even have a few minutes to log), wouldn't waste their time doing ZE after ZE for a slight chance of getting one sigil. Not unless doing ZEs is what they'd typically do in Rift. But what if they also want to raid? Build? PvP (lol)? Quest on their alts? And so on. So basically instead of catering to both casuals and hardcore players, the game is now catering to casuals with an unlimited supply of time. Which is, with Rift's generally adult audience, a strange decision IMO.

tldr - limiting content progression is fine, but it has to be reasonable, and rewards have to be decent enough to keep players interested. Especially when we have the weapon quest that's a perfect example of gating gone wrong, and adding layers and layers of limits and grind isn't "casual", it's tedious and tiring. There must always be a balance between what's good for the game and what's good for its players.

2. Patrons can only be considered "paying customers" if it's the only thing you have to pay for in a game, ever. Like if you pay $15 a month it automatically removes any need to pay for anything else with rl money in the store. Then yes, it would be fair. In Rift though, there is no "patron vs f2p" customers because without being a patron you might end up paying much more via buying things in the store and selling REX. I'm sure there are many non-patrons that spend more on the store than patrons do with their monthly fee.

So while I think your idea is great, it would only work if paying for patron meant no additional paying for anything else on the store while your patron status lasts. Since it's not the case in Rift, it just wouldn't be fair to non-patrons who chose to spend their money on something else.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

General of Telara

One of the main concerns now is Zone events going forward. What rewards are there to completing a zone event?
    • Celestial Remnants: used for... basic world gear that is trumped by VP quests or by LFR. They are also used for the level 67 essences which are not very good and are trumped by level 70 greens
    • Tower Marks: you get a few of these which can be used to buy some expert gear or the fragment boxes which is a whole different conversation.
    • Some Planarite: yay...
    • Chest: very small chance and might contain a blue useable for a fresh 70.
    • Sigil of Valor: Very small chance of dropping. I have never seen one personally

In my view zone events outside of VP for the intel that drops, are kind of redundant really. Sure there are weeklies for currency that is also kind of redundant or for sparkles quest for patrons only but really it isn't particularly exciting.

This all leads onto the discussion of general activities and rewards etc. Rather than fun things we have a grind. VP is a grind and is not the cool dynamic zone we were promised. Yes tangent. State of game not good. Feel like boring grind with no fun or interesting ideas going on. Me losing players cos of it and losing will to play. Me sad. The end.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    The stockpiling happens because you can mail them - and then have them sit int he mail not counting towards any cap. Despite conspiracy theories otherwise - including your own dismissal - this is the MAIN reason the system was changed.

There will not be any return to these style things becoming BoA, because BoA does not work properly with anything that is intended to have a limited item count.
    With this mechanic in place, there is no reason to not increase the drop rate to 100% for zone events and IA bosses. They can't be stockpiled beyond 5.
    Co-GM of Haganai <Faeblight>
    GM of Filthy Casual <Gelidra> <deleted chars and guild>
    No more money for Trion til changes made

Rift Disciple

I'm a casual gamer. I can play maybe 1 to 2 evenings a week.
    I found NMT's end game content (non raid, non dungeon) allowed me to play multiple chars and have a semblance of progression through upgrading gear (crafted, token gear) or drops (intrepid IAs) gave me a purpose to play while staying within my preferred playstyle and content.

With this expansion RNG went into extreme overdrive and I find myself just minion logging, doing crafting dailies (stockpiling plat), sell a few things on the AH, or fill buy orders (based upon what the minions bring in) and if motivated enough (rarely) working on a guild weekly.

Most of the time when logged in on my night off, I am waiting for my guildmate to log on and do some questing. I spend most of that time waiting watching a video on a laptop.

The only casual player they are catering to are whales.
    Co-GM of Haganai <Faeblight>
    GM of Filthy Casual <Gelidra> <deleted chars and guild>
    No more money for Trion til changes made

The stockpiling happens because you can mail them - and then have them sit int he mail not counting towards any cap. Despite conspiracy theories otherwise - including your own dismissal - this is the MAIN reason the system was changed.

There will not be any return to these style things becoming BoA, because BoA does not work properly with anything that is intended to have a limited item count.
    no the stockpiling happens because you dont change the system. here's a mindblowing idea that somehow got past you guys. DONT ALLLOW OLD MARKS TO BE USED FOR NEW CONTENT. crazy right? i mean i used all my old raid marks to buy new raid gear as soon as it was out, oh wait i didnt the game didnt allow that.

and if people stockpile these new marks, who cares they put in the work for this expansion. come next one they wouldnt work for new reps.

this change was ill though out, after so many expansions i would think that there would be some kind of checklist about things like this.

Plane Touched

We can only turn in one of these per day. Why do you feel the need to limit the item count?

Quote Originally Posted by Zegapain View Post
    With this mechanic in place, there is no reason to not increase the drop rate to 100% for zone events and IA bosses. They can't be stockpiled beyond 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguss View Post
    We can only turn in one of these per day. Why do you feel the need to limit the item count?
    This!
    Removing BOA and limiting to 5 is enough limitation, if you truly only wanted to prevent stockpiling via mail.
    We don't need another layer of RNG added to something which was still free from this plague... Make all ZE give a Sigil if you are participating, closing RIFTS, killing invasions or killing end boss.
    Or be honest, say you no more want to give us this little bonus, and remove them totally. Making them random drops with abyssal rate is a slap in the face.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 08-21-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Next up will be the affinity points. I have well over 2k (and don't get my max every day) because there has been virtually nothing of interest to me in the afinity point store. Had engines been available for affinity, maybe once a week or per month, I might have spent some. Something vaguely useful other than a repainted mount skin.

So we can see what will happen. At some stage in the future Trion will see the build up as a disincentive to give a nice, new reward for affinity, so either affinity will get capped (with or without warning LOL) like adventurine was, or a new intrepid affinity currency will be introduced for the new improved rewards, cos we can't have the hoarders getting it first!

Moral of the story... if you save you are bad, if you spend you are good. Just like IRL.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6