Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Holyroller12
  • 1 Post By banecrushr
  • 2 Post By Laeti
  • 4 Post By Linolea
  • 3 Post By Laeti

Thread: Hi . is Rift still Alive ?

Default Hi . is Rift still Alive ?

ok so i bought Rift when it first launched, quit after, played Storm Legion , quit , now im comming back . Eu player - asking the simple questions : is it still going ? the game? do the servers have enough active players? Also interested in the fact that i saw that many said it became Pay to Win - please help .
    Basically , i started a mage, should i play this game or just go find something else? is it worth spending my time leveling, would it payoff endgame?

Shadowlander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwNN-0AgWc
    Did you mean something else ?

Anyway,

You can switch from a server to another in game (zone event farm, unstable artifacts, etc), so the global population doesn't appear to be low. However, most people are 70 and farm level 70 content.

The charges system is questionable: you do nothing several times in starfall prophecy several times without spending them. And they're not infinite (2/week, 10/week for patrons).

Raids always need archons nowadays, so it's worth it at the moment... if you intend to play support (it has always been true). Chloro's good, Arbiter too.
    4.2 is coming, many things may change in the specs. I bet pyro, harbinger, and warlock will be better at dps than they are at the moment. Forget Necromancer and Dominator for now.

I suggest to take the ascended essentials pack, having several roles and souls always helped (credits via rex or money, your choice).

Start here. http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ing-guide.html

Try it out for free and decide for yourself.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Rift Disciple

Default What are you looking for?

Rift has strengths and weaknesses like any game. It is gorgeous- the art is top notch and never fails to impress. The story line wobbles but you can generally follow the quest line. If you love puzzles, and dimensions and wardrobes you will be in heaven. One thing I miss in other games is the ability to have a guild hall that everyone can meet in or help build. It is a great feature. Rift is a great game for solo game time too. The thing that puts me off is lack of meaningful team play. There are 4 dungeons, one T-0 raid and one T-1 raid (that took months after rollout to get going). Doing those over and over again is insanity. Sure- you can mix it up with some warfronts but it is not the same as it was in vanilla or SL. The Eternal Weapon quest is the grind from hell. It is *not* fun. Before anyone says "all MMOs are grindy"- indeed- there is always a grind to get better to qualify for progression. But the EW quest is especially tedious and the progression is one raid. Thus- it depends on what you are looking for. Some of the role playing guilds add an extra dimension to the game if you like RP. Good luck!

I've been back now about 3 or 4 weeks, IMO the game is still good given all the screw ups' left in it from day 1. Pop is LOW, if your under 70 be ready to solo play yourself to death, no one helps, no one does the crap YOU need at the under 70 level so closing rifts for things you now need isn't good either, no raid rifts at lower level, no real content, or direction to doing it at least partially right so you don't have to back up....if your into solo play every log on, then it's for you...oh you can do IA for a few hours and level quick, some chest have decent enough items in them, but for me the game has been a total bust coming back...I'll be moving on again soon as IA is about as fun as having your eyes gouged out hour after hour...as for guilding, Gl with that one also.....

Yes, it's alive

Quote Originally Posted by banecrushr View Post
    no one helps, no one does the crap YOU need at the under 70 level
    ...as for guilding, Gl with that one also.....
    I'm sorry, but

joined a couple guilds on 2 of my toons and it's pretty much a waste of my time, no one in them ask the new guy hey lets help you get to the high levels so we can build a raiding force, or a solid grp, nothing.
    - from your post in Newcomers, which is exactly why you're having troubles with guilds. Guilds aren't there to babysit every single newcomer, guildies aren't there to hand-hold you through low level content. Even in social casual guilds it's the newcomers who ask for help from higher level players, not the other way round. Obviously, in a game where 70 is the highest level and reaching it no longer requires you to buy the expansion, people will be playing endgame much more than lower level content. There is no shame in asking your guildies for help, but if you expect to just sit there and wait until someone comes running to drag you to 70 then yes, it is a waste of time indeed.

@atman123 - as Andracleric already mentioned, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you generally enjoy all kinds of activities, you'll have plenty to do whether you're solo or not. If you're interested in PVP and challenging endgame content, it is honestly not in the best state right now but it's worth hanging around to see what happens next. You do not have to buy any content or packs in order to level up, access all zones and content, and see if the game is good enough for you. You can always check in later when you're close to 70 to see what DLC might help you (depending on your personal playstyle). It also helps to find a friendly guild so you could have more options besides random grouping and solo playing - however, as I mentioned earlier, most people are already playing endgame, so it's always better to ask around before joining. There are guilds doing retro content runs, lower level content for fun, and stuff like this. The easiest way is probably checking the Recruitment section of the forums and also asking around in world chat.

Welcome back!
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360 <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

hey all. First of all thank you for the nice feedback , to be honest after 30min-1h maybe not sure after posting ( i went for an afternoon nap and i just woke up) no1 replied and i was like **** even the forums are dead.
    I dont mind solo leveling i did it before in 2014. I played Rift Storm Legion with a laptop with 1fps in rifts and had a blast. Now i have a performat computer and i was thinking maybe after trying every mmorpg out there its time to give Rift another shot.
    Indeed if i survive the leveling i think i may have some fun endgame. Well , what can i say. to me.
    I joined PvP International server just to kill newcommers lol . i know every serious player is max level and doing stuff. well ok .

Tell me pls this : Pay to Win = i saw equipement in store, whats that? will i really need to use real money at max level to get a boost? its a bit strange.... but heh. will see.

gank u later! pew ! pew! pew !!!!!111one!!111
    Last edited by Xio Narius; 07-17-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atman123 View Post
    hey all. First of all thank you for the nice feedback , to be honest after 30min-1h maybe not sure after posting ( i went for an afternoon nap and i just woke up) no1 replied and i was like **** even the forums are dead.
    I dont mind solo leveling i did it before in 2014. I played Rift Storm Legion with a laptop with 1fps in rifts and had a blast. Now i have a performat computer and i was thinking maybe after trying every mmorpg out there its time to give Rift another shot.
    Indeed if i survive the leveling i think i may have some fun endgame. Well , what can i say. to me.
    I joined PvP International server just to kill newcommers lol . i know every serious player is max level and doing stuff. well ok .

Tell me pls this : Pay to Win = i saw equipement in store, whats that? will i really need to use real money at max level to get a boost? its a bit strange.... but heh. will see.

No its not pay to win. If you pvp you really dont need to spend anything at all. For pve the biggest things that require money are buying the souls and to speed up your progression purchasing charges. Patron is a very nice and big boost. I recommend checking out hollyrollers thread in newcomers. It goes into the pay to win subject in detail.

Also based on PTS there looks to be better catch up mechanics and gear being added. If you want the best in every single slot be prepared to pay something, to be relevant, competetive and have progression you can get there without spending alot.
    Last edited by Xio Narius; 07-17-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Rift Disciple

Default P2W- not like what you think...

No- the expansions are free- even SFP/POA now. You can get the base classes for free. If you want to play a popular class- like primalist (which does rock some dps) there is a charge. There is a thorn in the side regarding planar fragments. It takes a LOT of plat to upgrade those puppies. It is *hard* to make plat- at least in the quantity required to upgrade the fragments. For that you will probably resort to buying REX to sell on the AH for plat. I did not find much equipment on the store as good as drops. But that is me. Some find buying the equipment (base) a faster path.
    Last edited by Andracleric; 07-17-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atman123 View Post

Shortest answer is while it walks that fine line sometimes, it is not pay to win as much as people complain that it is. It's more "pay for convenience" and "pay for RNG". All of which are discussed and debated in the earlier thread I linked. Everything on the store is the for pure convenience.
    Last edited by Xio Narius; 07-17-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Rift Disciple

somewhat alive.

i'd suggest you bring some friends to brighten the place up
    "flurpphbtphbtpsplurrrrrtpoootis"
    a.k.a. slap matt

Getting to level 70 is the easy part. That can be done casually in a matter of a few days played (RL time varies due to time per day spent in game). At level 70 the biggest cost will depend on what you want to do. If you intend to raid T1 then the biggest cost will be gearing for that, or you have to accept being weeks to months behind the raiders already in game. As almost everything that drops can be gotten through P2RNG charges (called IRC - Individual Reward Charges), anything after your first two freebie TD-LFR personal loot drops, first 3 golems (IRotP for jewellry), first free QF (for BiS essences - until 4.2 I guess), and crifts (for crafted gear mats) will cost you IRC to roll again. GL on engine drops BTW.

On top of the gear hurdle there are planar fragments, which is an appallingly RNGeebus system. It is due to be revamped at some stage in the future (post 4.2). With eleven fragment slots, which take 3-3.5kpp to get to level 15 each (though 1.5kpp each to level 12 will be good enough) this is a massive plat sink. And that's assuming you get fragments even worth upgrading. People here will jump up and down saying you only need level 9 and it's cheap ... but equally they won't be inviting you to their raid. And with green essences and rubbish level 9 frags you won't be the one carrying a raid through IRotP either.

If PvPing... not so much, but fragments will still be painful. If dimensioneering or RPing... sure the best stuff in Rift is free!

There will probably be a slight population bounce this week due to 4.2 being released for more end game content, but I expect the raiders will be pretty much raid-logging in a couple weeks. Oh, and then there is the eterenal weapon ... oh boy... fun grind ahead for you.

It's not P2W, as long as you accept not paying means it will take you months longer to get where everyone else is up to, or slow tracks you compared to someone who does sink money into the game starting alongside you. So you will get the same gear as a moneybags, but you will almost certainly get it a lot later unless you have a direct line to RNGeebus.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    People here will jump up and down saying you only need level 9 and it's cheap ... but equally they won't be inviting you to their raid. And with green essences and rubbish level 9 frags you won't be the one carrying a raid through IRotP either.
    This^ This here is one of the major issues with frags besides the whole RNG fest and poor drop rate. If "you only need level 9" then why are there another 6 levels to grind after that? For minmaxers? Sure, but saying "oh but people won't need lvl 15frags for endgame content, it's purely optional" means not knowing your playerbase and general mmo player mentality for that matter. If there's a max level people will always try to grind to max level and then naturally make it a requirement for other people to join. As if "LF 1200 hit for NTEs" wasn't a lesson enough.

Max level frags should either be much less of a grind and money sink or not be there at all if they "aren't needed for endgame content". If they're only needed for the future tiers then they should've been capped from the start. But you can't give people something to work towards, and then say hey you actually don't need to. You don't release a new shiny raid and tell people to just not try the last two bosses because that loot isn't required to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    If dimensioneering or RPing... sure the best stuff in Rift is free!
    I wouldn't say dimensions are free, they are in fact one of the most stable and viable sources of income for the game, there's a lot to spend on and not just plat but credits as well (and since many dimensioneers also enjoy other stuff in game and don't have the time to grind out plat for hours, they pay credits instead); plus there is no minmaxing in dimensions, no finite content or anything like that, people will keep building stuff for as long as Rift has dimensions in place :)
    Last edited by Laeti; 07-18-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360 <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

+ Reply to Thread