+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Community Ambassador Program Revamp

Default Community Ambassador Program Revamp

So I've been thinking about this a while, and although I know it's a very busy time right now with the update and all, I just wanted to suggest this idea as something to look into for later.

Once upon a time, there was a Rift Community Ambassador Program that's now history. What I want to suggest is not starting it over but rather revamping it to make a helpful "tool" for both community and company at the same time.

First off, it should not be a way to recognize and reward people - of course, a nice title and a nametag color is fine, but the goal of this program should be completely different, and that is - to be a bridge between the community and the company. While the criteria can include being helpful, active and enthusiastic, it should also include being ready to gather the feedback within a certain part of the game and pass it on to the Devs.

Since this is, obviously, a responsibility for anyone who does it, the ambassadors should be picked from each aspect of the community (PVE, PVP, Casuals, Dimensions, RP, Newcomers and such). This way, the ambassadors can only "work" within their own part of the community, and while they can, of course, be helpful to others as well, their primary goal would be taking care of their favorite part of the game. In my opinion, each aspect should have 2-3 people, not just one, so that it doesn't become a second job and they could help at their own pace whenever they have the time.

As far as the selection goes, it can be pretty much the same as the old one, with a few adjustments. Anyone can nominate another player (obviously except themselves), but instead of just sending a forum name they must also provide at least some reasons as to why a certain person can be a good ambassador. Example: player nominates a fellow pvp player who is active in the community. They attach links of the posts/threads where this person provides help to fellow players, shows knowledge of the activity, and stays constructive. If the player is a Trion Creator and has an audience and a specific activity they have good knowledge of - it can also be mentioned, but not mandatory. The nominations are ongoing, so that whenever one person wishes to step away for any reasons - you could simply contact the next person in line and so on. The selection should be internal with no open discussions to avoid trolling. If a person gets selected it is up to them to decide if they have the time to take on this role - again, it's not a job or a duty, it's a way of being helpful in a community you care about.

And the most important part:
    Why have the new ambassadors at all? How would they help?

Here's the thing. We all know that one of the biggest issues with the community is that people don't feel their feedback is being noticed and considered. There's also lots and lots of non-constructive posts that while being useless still take the time to read and think of. While the reasons are perfectly normal (it's often way too much to read through, reply, discuss, especially with so many platforms, for a small team of people), this still needs to be addressed. This is where the ambassador program 2.0 might be of help. As mentioned above, ambassadors can be a bridge between their community and the dev team. Within their own "field" of interest, they can read and listen to people's feedback, and then deliver it (a brief review, without the drama, repetition, trolling posts and such) to the dev team on the Ambassador forums. Then after it gets seen and discussed/considered/declined or whatnot - they would also post the results (such as "it's being looked at" or "changes aren't inc anytime soon", "this will be in the next patch/in a month/etc" and so on). The ambassadors aren't there to monitor the platforms 24/7 - they do that in their free time at their own pace; they are not there to pass on the bugs that can be addressed through the support feature; and last but not least they aren't the ones responsible for any decisions, they're only an "information link" between players and devs. They aren't anyone's favorites, but rather the most active people who want to do more to help out. They only pass on the relevant and constructive feedback in a "condensed" form to help the community become friendlier, healthier and less frustrated. If they wish to also help out other players on different platforms with advice and such outside of their own "field" - it's their own decision, not a duty.

The downside is that, it will require certain time from the CMs at the start, and ongoing attention along the way - however at the same time it will cut down the time to review every single post since the ambassadors will actually be helping out with that (even without a schedule).

Here is a thread for nominees suggestions, it's not official but it's a nice way to see how it can be done and what to look at in the nominations.

So that's pretty much it, I would like to hear from the players and the team if this is something to consider, and - as always - let's all be nice to each other and keep it civil.
    Last edited by Laeti; 06-30-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Staff time is the biggest issue for what I agree would be a good idea.
    There are a number of things to address before starting a program like this anew, and I've worked through many of them before while at SOE.

To a large extent, we have replaced the old model with the Trion Worlds Creator Program, which helps greatly with offering a number of highly valued players a greater role in community support: streamers, videographers, guide creators, fansites... lthough it leaves a hole where a certain subsection of the community core does not yet have a role: guild leaders and those of equivalent investment and knowledge.

So know that we're thinking about it on the Community Relations level.
    It will take time and a lot of thought, as well as a possible pilot project to assess feasibility and implementation.

Thank you for your post on the topic.
    We'll definitely talk more. =)
    Brasse

Yes, please. A revamp was suggested before and there wasn't a single official comment on the subject.

I mentioned it to Ocho in early February 2016 and this is what he said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Eventually I want to morph it into something else, and combine it with the fansite program, but I'm waiting on other work to get done first. Not a huge priority at the moment I'm afraid.
    Haven't heard a word since and the change of "leadership" had dashed all of my hopes at reviving the program. I really think the program has its place on the forums as a means to bridge the gap between players and Trion. So far, we have seen a consistent gap between player and company interests.

I definitely hope this is seriously considered as I believe the Trion community as a whole can benefit from the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Staff time is the biggest issue for what I agree would be a good idea.
    There are a number of things to address before starting a program like this anew, and I've worked through many of them before while at SOE.

To a large extent, we have replaced the old model with the Trion Worlds Creator Program, which helps greatly with offering a number of highly valued players a greater role in community support: streamers, videographers, guide creators, fansites... lthough it leaves a hole where a certain subsection of the community core does not yet have a role: guild leaders and those of equivalent investment and knowledge.

It will take time and a lot of thought, as well as a possible pilot project to assess feasibility and implementation.

Thank you for your post on the topic.
    We'll definitely talk more. =)
    Brasse
    Thank you!
    Hope this thread can be helpful for whenever you have time to work on it.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    Since this is, obviously, a responsibility for anyone who does it, the ambassadors should be picked from each aspect of the community (PVE, PVP, Casuals, Dimensions, RP, Newcomers and such). This way, the ambassadors can only "work" within their own part of the community, and while they can, of course, be helpful to others as well, their primary goal would be taking care of their favorite part of the game. In my opinion, each aspect should have 2-3 people, not just one, so that it doesn't become a second job and they could help at their own pace whenever they have the time.
    Just felt the need to highlight this point.

PvP players should not be advising Trion regarding raids. And Raiders should not have significant input regarding PvP.

The community can be a very effective tool for Trion, and many players are eager to provide feedback, suggestions, and constructive criticism. Making use of the community can only be a net positive for Trion - so long as Trion keeps a professional distance from community 'advisors' or 'ambassadors' and remembers that we all have our own biases and agendas.
    Last edited by Nefelia; 06-29-2017 at 07:02 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Allow me to tell you some stories from the other side of the coin.
    At one point there were about 10 Community Ambassadors, we all got along fine, we even have our own sub section on the Forum that you only see if you're 'tagged' as Ambassador, a few of us used to even chat on Teamspeak etc.

Unfortunately a few of the Ambassadors used to get very seriously trolled and abused on the Forum, a few shared screen grabs of the PMs they used to get, death threats, vile disgusting comments aimed at both them and family so surprise surprise we ended up with less and less visibility from a few Community Ambassadors here on the Forum.

Now it seems i'm the last one standing, i know one or two still play the game but on new accounts just to avoid the trolls even though, luckily enough, nearly all the trolls are gone/banned or whatever.

TL-DR if you're a bit sensitive to Forum comments and trolling, just be aware that a certain mindset out there will think you're actually employed by Trion indirectly and that makes you a free-for-all target.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    <snip> lthough it leaves a hole where a certain subsection of the community core does not yet have a role: guild leaders and those of equivalent investment and knowledge.

<snip>
    What everyone seems to be 'overlooking' all of the time is those who make and maintain the addons .... why are they excluded from all of these things? Please be more considerate of the people who help so many others playing the game better due to their investments...

Rift Master

I like the idea of the OP and would be nice to see something like this happen.

The idea of a bridge and filter between players and devs sounds it might work and bring better communications for all. Like you said there might be some more work for Trion then, but on the other hand most of the feedback would potentially be in a better format and easier to read. Of course the siad ambasadros would have to be very objective on the Rift matters when presenting their findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    PvP players should not be advising Trion regarding raids. And Raiders should not have significant input regarding PvP.

The community can be a very effective tool for Trion, and many players are eager to provide feedback, suggestions, and constructive criticism. Making use of the community can only be a net positive for Trion - so long as Trion keeps a professional distance from community 'advisors' or 'ambassadors' and remembers that we all have our own biases and agendas.
    You might have an/some ambasador/s that would enjoy both sides of rift, pvp and pve so a strict line there might not be the best imo. But having forums where the ides are compiled in would kinda solve that with having different sections for the feedback/ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Allow me to tell you some stories from the other side of the coin.
    At one point there were about 10 Community Ambassadors, we all got along fine, we even have our own sub section on the Forum that you only see if you're 'tagged' as Ambassador, a few of us used to even chat on Teamspeak etc.

Unfortunately a few of the Ambassadors used to get very seriously trolled and abused on the Forum, a few shared screen grabs of the PMs they used to get, death threats, vile disgusting comments aimed at both them and family so surprise surprise we ended up with less and less visibility from a few Community Ambassadors here on the Forum.

Now it seems i'm the last one standing, i know one or two still play the game but on new accounts just to avoid the trolls even though, luckily enough, nearly all the trolls are gone/banned or whatever.

TL-DR if you're a bit sensitive to Forum comments and trolling, just be aware that a certain mindset out there will think you're actually employed by Trion indirectly and that makes you a free-for-all target.
    Please don't derail this thread once more and turn it into your own personal defense one. That has happened to pretty much every other thread that tried to talk about the renewal or changes to the program and in the end it was closed down and dismissed. Working as a public figure and dealing with players/costumers will bring out all sides of things, especially on the internet, but that is just a part of the "job" sadly.
    Last edited by Jotunn; 06-29-2017 at 11:44 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    Please don't derail this thread once more and turn it into your own personal defense one.
    Indulge us all and kindly explain how this is my "personal defense?"

As long as it doesn't turn into a popularity contest over being knowledgeable about the game, there are a couple of larger guilds in Rift who I think would not be a good fit for this program, because leading a guilding =/= game knowledge, im sure a few people will know about these types of guild and agree, because the leaders of said guilds would not be a good fit or helpful at all for this type of program.
    Nixia@Greybriar

Thank you all for the replies so far!

@Nefelia

That's where the "ambassador sorting hat" becomes important, it's not meant to divide the players, but rather make sure people who gather feedback from their communities know what it's all about. A dedicated pvp player would know how to tell important feedback from someone's personal agenda or something that's more of a bug report/vague opinion/newbie confusion, and that's why it'll be easy for them to only bring important stuff to the devs' attention. At the same time, someone who is more interested in pvp, would probably have no reason to go through raid feedback (especially when they know there are people who are already doing it). So that's the point of sorting people according to their preferred activities as opposed to simply taking in everyone who is somewhat helpful and/or active.

@Slipmat Unfortunately, anyone could potentially get trolled or abused - and this is something that the Support team is supposed to handle; obviously those few who - in theory - would be getting a lot of attention due to their status, would be much more exposed to this sort of thing once they start, and that is something that, IMO, should be well communicated before the selection, since clearly the people willing to take on this role should be aware of all its downsides, including the kind of attention and attitude that you've mentioned. That's also where the whole idea of having people taking care of their own community "part" can be helpful as well - if, say, the raid community knows certain people (now their ambassadors) well, they should also know these people volunteered to help the community, they aren't the company's employees, and they're there for a good reason. It will also be the responsibility of the ambassadors to not just gather feedback but also be friendly and nice to their fellow players to help avoid any kind of conflicts.

@Jotunn
    I realize there are people who enjoy different parts of the game - probably even most players are like that; but then there's always those who know one part of the game better than any others, and it's that one part they care about the most. Since the nominations would be made by the community itself (even including troll nominations as it happened in the past), and the examples as to why a certain person is great for this particular role/part of the game would be presented, the idealist in me hopes that people will be nominating those they trust to know and understand their favorite part of the game, as opposed to just picking their friends&favorites who might not be fit for this role. It's also up to the CM team to make the final decision - and those who monitor the forums closely would also - technically - know if the nominee is a good candidate.

Besides, with all the ambassadors sorted by their preferred activity, there won't be a need for people to care about other parts of the game apart from their own. Plus, the ambassadors - in theory - aren't there to influence the devs' decisions, they're only there to provide the important feedback.

@Maltie
    I don't think being a guild leader or not being one should be relevant for the program, even though lots of good guild leaders could make great ambassadors I'm sure; IMO the fact that the person is also a guild leader shouldn't be more than just one of the "reasons" given in their nomination. So, for example, if someone is nominated and the reasons are "X guides posted on the forums, Y threads made with constructive feedback, Z posts made that were helpful to individuals as well as the whole community; and they're also a guild leader for N@Lbriar" then sure, it's fine to add this to the list since being a guild leader for a guild with good reputation shows responsibility and the ability to help others. But yeah, "I nominate This Guy because they're a guild leader of N@Lstone" is not a valid reason and shouldn't be considered by the CMs.

@Maltie
    I don't think being a guild leader or not being one should be relevant for the program, even though lots of good guild leaders could make great ambassadors I'm sure; IMO the fact that the person is also a guild leader shouldn't be more than just one of the "reasons" given in their nomination. So, for example, if someone is nominated and the reasons are "X guides posted on the forums, Y threads made with constructive feedback, Z posts made that were helpful to individuals as well as the whole community; and they're also a guild leader for N@Lbriar" then sure, it's fine to add this to the list since being a guild leader for a guild with good reputation shows responsibility and the ability to help others. But yeah, "I nominate This Guy because they're a guild leader of N@Lstone" is not a valid reason and shouldn't be considered by the CMs.
    Wasn't saying it should be a reason, im saying that I don't want leaders of large guilds just asking all their members to vote for them (because there are some huge guilds with guild leaders, NA especially) that have very little skill or knowledge about the game, but because they have a large guild have a higher chance of getting more nominations
    Nixia@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Maltie View Post
    Wasn't saying it should be a reason, im saying that I don't want leaders of large guilds just asking all their members to vote for them (because there are some huge guilds with guild leaders, NA especially) that have very little skill or knowledge about the game, but because they have a large guild have a higher chance of getting more nominations
    I'm sure that would be easy to check, especially with mandatory reasoning for every nomination:)

Rift Master

@Jotunn
    Besides, with all the ambassadors sorted by their preferred activity, there won't be a need for people to care about other parts of the game apart from their own. Plus, the ambassadors - in theory - aren't there to influence the devs' decisions, they're only there to provide the important feedback.
    I just meant that it might not end up as black and white. Depending on the number of ambasadors and what their feilds are, or how to say it better, there might be some overlap of expertiese/interest. So you may have someone that is active and helping out on more fields than just one. We might not even have the numbers of them to cover each field by just one person too, but this all remains to be seen how it will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    I just meant that it might not end up as black and white. Depending on the number of ambasadors and what their feilds are, or how to say it better, there might be some overlap of expertiese/interest. So you may have someone that is active and helping out on more fields than just one. We might not even have the numbers of them to cover each field by just one person too, but this all remains to be seen how it will turn out.
    If someone has the time to look after more than just one community, then it's a good thing; however since people (in my idea) would be assigned to certain communities, their input would be considered first and before the others', at least that's how I see it. If a raid ambassador also wishes to contribute to, say, dimensions community in their free time - it's totally fine, but dimensioneers would have their own people to contribute the feedback, and it's techinically supposed to go first; then, if there's time to look at what other people have contributed - why not, but that's obviously up to the dev team in the end:)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast