+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Is Balancing Done? or whats happening Rift Crew?

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    That said, I watched a rather interesting tournament on last week's hosted RIFTstream (Seshatar ran it) and saw a great many unexpected outcomes in spite of builds and the "no rules" environ. It was really fun to see in action.
    You realize that that tournament actually proves what's being said here, right? Like, there were no unexpected outcomes at all.

A rogue playing an overtuned build and a strong trinket won without breaking a sweat. As soon as I saw he was in Nightblade and had the CoA tank trinket, I knew he was going to win.

For anyone remotely competitive and interested in balance, that was not "fun to see". It was painful to watch. As some who claims to love pvp, I am simply in awe at how you continue to make these generalized statements that show how little you care and know about pvp.
    R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    I've seen this number posted around a lot lately. In my eyes this is bad publicity what you are doing. You claim there's over 4k possible soul combinations, ok fine, there are. But about 1% of them are viable and maybe 2-3% are beeing actively played. That is not a good statistic. I definitely wouldn't want to see a game advertisment saying they have 4k+ class combinations you can play but if you want perform decently or clear top content you can only choose a handful of them. In other words, this number alone when compared to viable souls tells us in how bad a state the ballance really is.
    I agree the 4000 number is bad to throw around, though for a slightly different reason. Yes, having only a fraction of the possible souls being viable for endgame is unfortunate, but with progression and high end performance, there can only be a few. What I think is bad about the 4000 number is that it is used to try and portray something it can't.

In this situation, it is used to explain why there are always minmaxed builds. If there were 10 possible souls combinations, there would still be minmaxed builds. Most people play the same couple of builds, it's how you play that focuses on minmaxing.

4000 soul combinations sounds great, but only on paper. Who cares how many there are if 95% of them will never be used, ever.

And to that "filthy casuals" comment, give it a rest. You constantly self-identify with this "group" of "casual players" that are somehow inferior as players to us "high end" or "top tier" players. Yes, some people are better than others and yes, some choose to make it known, but generalizing like that is insulting. We are all here because we want balance. Balance for "us" doesn't mean no balance for "you".

Try to work with us sometime instead of always trying to defend yourself by providing dismissive and condescending responses. You may discover that we actually have some good ideas.
    R.I.P.

Ascendant

So a rogue won a pvp fight with insane Lv65 trinket from the last expansion using a spec that abuse the crap out of the CoA trinket to the max even has a 50% mitigation defensive CD to help passing the specs long wind up time into the burst block and the other guy stood there and face tanked the entire burst block it in a non-tank spec.

I guess rogues are overpowered yea...

I don't think DEV knows how insane CoA HM trinkets are, and from the looks of it, not many players knew neither.
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 06-20-2017 at 04:24 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by FateStayNight View Post
    So a rogue won a pvp fight with insane Lv65 trinket from the last expansion using a spec that abuse the crap out of the CoA trinket to the max even has a 50% mitigation defensive CD to help passing the specs long wind up time into the burst block and the other guy stood there and face tanked the entire burst block it in a non-tank spec.

I guess rogues are overpowered yea...

I don't think DEV knows how insane CoA HM trinkets are, and from the looks of it, not many players knew neither.
    That trinket doesn't work in actual instant PvP. There are videos of rogues 1v1ing pretty much every class in actual instant pvp and coming out on top with not a single scratch on them. So yeah it wouldn't have matter. Can probably have won the fight with a diffuse ranger. Rogue just living the dream right now and it is sad because if they ever balance them downward it would hurt the community more even though its the easiest way they can approach these things. For instance, one class is an outlier so lets focus on nerfing them instead of buffing the 3-4 others. When it comes down to it they take miniature baby steps to get rogue in line. Unfortunately, its not like that with some of the other classes. You will see a spec exist for a month and obliterated for an entire expansion.

I don't mind Rogue current state to be honest if match making actually worked. If ELO actually worked. And if fragment drops didn't give them something like 27 to 1 odds of getting better fragments than some of the other classes. Class balancing aside. There is a lot in this expansion that is wrong.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 06-20-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Try to work with us sometime instead of always trying to defend yourself by providing dismissive and condescending responses. You may discover that we actually have some good ideas.
    100% this.

Also, if there are so many soul combinations, and by extension, that many more possible rotations... do you not have tools that iterate through the possible combinations of souls and rotations to find the ones that are ridiculously OP? It really wouldn't be that hard to build... I've been tempted to build one myself. What kind of internal testing actually happens?

There's no point in even adding anything to this thread because all the points have already been made and now there's only hope they get attention.

One thing I would like to point out one more time though is, whenever there's any changes that require as much player testing as possible, it has to be communicated better through all channels (not just one discord, or one skype channel, or whatever). If people do want to help out with testing, they shouldn't need to scout through every possible channel for a mention of a player testing event; they shouldn't be required to spend all their free time on PTS waiting either. The lack of communication is a big issue here, for both testing and balancing, something has to be done about it.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

King of Slackers

*Please do not quote forum violations*

For reference why the Trinket is so overpowered when not bolstered:

"Rachsüchtige Rückkehr" is the trinkets proc (german client), Heals the same amount...
    (200k Damage + 200k Heal)
    Last edited by Kalindrya; 06-20-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons
    Youtube
    Twitch
    Ghar Station Discord

True statement. Souls and skills are always under evaluation.
    Keyens and Vladd have rolled a lot of changes to PTS over the past several months, which will be finalized and prepped to go live with 4.2 this summer.

Anyway - PTS is the place to try out the changes. It ain't over till it lands on Live servers, with 4.2 ... and then I suspect it starts again. =)
    People have been bringing up concerns about Mystic for the past two to three weeks, despite there not being an official Mystic thread on the PTS yet. No dev has bothered to post on any of the unofficial threads regarding it, either. How are we meant to know they're under evaluation if all we get is silence from the dev team?

Rift Disciple

i another mmo you can find 16 different specs in top 30 dps or so and they all fit within 10% of difference in dps.. just because you wanna make necrodom doesnt mean you can compete in dps. useless souls is kinda problem here.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rivkah View Post
    People have been bringing up concerns about Mystic for the past two to three weeks, despite there not being an official Mystic thread on the PTS yet. No dev has bothered to post on any of the unofficial threads regarding it, either. How are we meant to know they're under evaluation if all we get is silence from the dev team?
    I think having a support with arguably the best support abilities as well as being top 3 dps ingame and 1/2 button-able will be pretty hilarious.

I mean Primal Lord is hilariously overpowered as well so I think the whole thing will be really really interesting.
    I can't wait for 4.2
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 06-20-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Anyway - PTS is the place to try out the changes. It ain't over till it lands on Live servers, with 4.2 ... and then I suspect it starts again. =)
    - What changes?

- Where are the PTS patch notes?

- Where is the thread with the PTS changes listed so I can test them.

- Do I just log onto PTS and try to randomly find what's different from before?

- Should I keep a list and/or notes and constantly survey PTS to log PTS changes for myself?

Just saying "go to PTS" doesn't help anyone. Please be more specific.
    Internet 101 : If anyone disagrees with you, they must be angry that you're right.

Telaran

True statement. Souls and skills are always under evaluation.
    Keyens and Vladd have rolled a lot of changes to PTS over the past several months, which will be finalized and prepped to go live with 4.2 this summer.
    "We keep an eye on things" sounds canned, but thanks, I guess.

As with many other aspects of MMOGs, balance is a contentious topic. In a game with over 4,000 possible soul combinations,
    No Man's Sky taught the average gamer that quantity is not the same as quality.

there will always be the min-maxed "best" builds and the rest are for us filthy casuals.
    This thread is about the best possible DPS players can hope to achieve with their chosen classes, not about what happens when a player spams Mana Wrench, Soul Siphon, and Plague Bolt for 20k DPS at 70 (the answer is that they do 20k DPS, and aren't much help when closing rifts).

That said, I watched a rather interesting tournament on last week's hosted RIFTstream (Seshatar ran it) and saw a great many unexpected outcomes in spite of builds and the "no rules" environ. It was really fun to see in action.
    Others have commented on this already.

Of course, the best part of classes in RIFT is that you can have that min-maxed "only decent build" for each application, be it PvE, PvP, raids, leveling, etc., and easily switch between them. Not all MMOGs offer this degree of fast flexibility.
    Easily switch by logging out of your cleric and rolling a rogue, yes. This thread is about class balance, assuming optimal use of souls, gear, and abilities.

I can't imagine that no one said anything about the current lack of class balance when it was on PTS. What can you tell us about the state of balance in 4.2? Is it better than current live servers? If not (or if unknown), maybe you could look into it?

TL;DR: Quoted post read more like a marketing brochure about Rift's amazing soul system and hard-working development team than a response to a balance critique.

Champion

I still want to be able to change callings of my character as easily as I change souls/roles. A worthwhile feature to develop, because they could off additional calling slots for cash in the shop.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Orochan View Post
    - Should I keep a list and/or notes and constantly survey PTS to log PTS changes for myself?
    I used to do them because I felt it was needed, but yeah it was all just through trial and error. Was quite proud of it!

It still remains as a 'nice to have' feature though.

Maybe they're testing their own game now and don't need us as testers? Certainly looks that way from the declining info on pts changes.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Archyface View Post
    Maybe they're testing their own game now and don't need us as testers? Certainly looks that way from the declining info on pts changes.
    Honestly, at least for past year or two, i had more of a feeling they don't have any internal testers/QA at all and the only ones testing things were the players. So many things that come to PTS (even live) don't seem to have even been looked at after beeing put there.

But it does seem that for the most parts they aren't interested in player feedback anymore, be it testing or other things.
    Last edited by Jotunn; 06-21-2017 at 03:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast