+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Brigy
  • 2 Post By legitN
  • 1 Post By Elayara

Thread: Considering coming back

Default Considering coming back

So I was, many years ago back, a hardcore raider here in Rift with guilds such as Special Olympics, Apotheosys, Exploit to name a few (I know some are contentious names...).

Having just finished my uni degree I have a lot of spare time on my hands and was very intrigued to see that Rift seems to have had a new expansion! I've obviously read through the the Trion homepages on the expansion but was hoping to get some player opinions on the state of some issues:

1. EU population? Is there one/two shards with decent population. By decent I mean if I go round the levelling zones in the new expansion I'm not going to feel like I'm playing a solo RPG!

2. PvP/PvE endgame. I've always played mmos for raid content, i get my pvp kicks from FPSs. Trion said there is a new raid, is it well tuned or an easy walkthrough in a night? (Is it even out yet?) Similarly are dungeon queue times long etc.

3. The grindy aspects. I used to be very committed to all my rep grinds and dailies to max gear/runes in the pursuit of world firsts... what are the main "necessary" grindy parts of the new expansion (if any)?

4. General enjoyment of the new expansion and any class imbalances? Was always historically a mage called Trickle but always mained a rogue for a while.

I fondly remember my times in Rift and sorely miss it - I consider the 2-3 years I committed heavily to it my best gaming time of my life. But just want some honest player opinions on whats good/not so good before I commit (I am a student and poor after all haha).

Thanks,

Alex "Trickle"
    Trickle - former hardcore raider.
    Former member of eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Apotheosys, Last Dawn
    World firsts highlights: Maelforge (Infernal Dawn 1.8) & Gelidra HM (Frozen Eclipse),
    Salvarola & Ultane (Grim Awakening)

Prophet of Telara

Well, about the EU shard pop question - honestly the only reason a shard matters in any way any more is where your guild is homed (or you want PvP shard ruleset). Otherwise when you log in you are hopped to the most populated shard that isn't overcrowded. So if you don't manually swap shards then there'll usually be plenty of people around. And if you want to get some quiet farming/questing/artifact hunting in then hopping to another shard will give you that. Shard hopping is literally RClick over your portrait, select teleport to shard, select desired shard. I think the ability to permanently move home shard for free is still there too.

tl;dr Pick wherever you like first, move to match whatever guild you go for. Hop around at will to play/not play with others.
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Brigy View Post
    2. PvP/PvE endgame. I've always played mmos for raid content, i get my pvp kicks from FPSs. Trion said there is a new raid, is it well tuned or an easy walkthrough in a night? (Is it even out yet?) Similarly are dungeon queue times long etc.
    An easy walkthrough if you are a hardcore raider but bad tuned stuff/bugs can prolong the progression also if you want to carry socials it also take some extra time. Raid was cleared on the first day.

3. The grindy aspects. I used to be very committed to all my rep grinds and dailies to max gear/runes in the pursuit of world firsts... what are the main "necessary" grindy parts of the new expansion (if any)?
    If you want to max your gear you will grind a lot for your gear(eternal weapon quest is alone a few weeks to level your minion and doubling the speed costs you about 2k credits) and for rex to get more rolls on raid gear/marks. If you would to put the effort in like in the old days you would need a minimum of Patron+2k credits for additional rolls.

4. General enjoyment of the new expansion and any class imbalances? Was always historically a mage called Trickle but always mained a rogue for a while.
    Class balance is a problem at the moment. There is only one totally overworked class dev.

TL;DR: Don't play warrior

For example he designed the warrior weapon around dumping your ressource resulting in a very akward gameplay for warriors where you put macros together with all offgcd abilities to dump your power(resulting in random mob knockbacks etc.). Also if you ask him how Paragon starves he said that you shouldn't use only 1 button(all abilities have the same cost in this spec) and said that Paragon can activate it (yes around every 40-50 sec without your dmg toggle). Also you want to have a cancelbuff for cost reduction and Bard/Oracle cd which restores Power.

Quote Originally Posted by legitN View Post
    An easy walkthrough if you are a hardcore raider but bad tuned stuff/bugs can prolong the progression also if you want to carry socials it also take some extra time. Raid was cleared on the first day.

If you want to max your gear you will grind a lot for your gear(eternal weapon quest is alone a few weeks to level your minion and doubling the speed costs you about 2k credits) and for rex to get more rolls on raid gear/marks. If you would to put the effort in like in the old days you would need a minimum of Patron+2k credits for additional rolls.

Class balance is a problem at the moment. There is only one totally overworked class dev.

TL;DR: Don't play warrior

For example he designed the warrior weapon around dumping your ressource resulting in a very akward gameplay for warriors where you put macros together with all offgcd abilities to dump your power(resulting in random mob knockbacks etc.). Also if you ask him how Paragon starves he said that you shouldn't use only 1 button(all abilities have the same cost in this spec) and said that Paragon can activate it (yes around every 40-50 sec without your dmg toggle). Also you want to have a cancelbuff for cost reduction and Bard/Oracle cd which restores Power.

Good to know and thanks for the info. Won't use my warrior then!

Any comments regarding mage vs rogue? Mage was always my favourite class especially when SL came out and we got Harbinger - partly because it also made the class good fun and competent to solo with!

Disappointing to hear the raid was cleared in a day but then may play long enough to get to the required gear level, clear it for some raid nostalgia and move on!

I'm curious what you mean about gear rolls? Is this a personal loot system similar to wow? (this definitely didn't exist last time I played Rift).
    World firsts highlights: Maelforge (Infernal Dawn 1.8) & Gelidra HM (Frozen Eclipse),

Ascendant

If you're into min/maxing your gear, and worried about the grindy aspects, my advice is to do a google or forum search for "planar fragments", and then make your decision afterwards.
    Last edited by Elayara; 05-19-2017 at 04:15 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Raids right now will be 10-mans only, no plans for new 20-mans "currently", may change.

The new raid, 10-man Tartaric Depths is meant as an introductory raid, think of it as Tier 0 or at the very most a Tier 0.5, it's just an LFR raid like WoW's LFR, nearly impossible to die, some interesting mechanics, 4 bosses, no trash, clear it in maybe 20 minutes or so.

There will be a 'normal' version of it coming soon, there is a totally new 10-man also planned, no news on that, the current Tier One raid is the old 10-man Rise of the Phoenix in Stonefield revamped and turned into an "Intrepid" version.

It's still not very PuG friendly as first boss is a bit of a DPS check for some PuGs and they added proper enrage timers to all bosses just this week.

It's a pity you didn't log on this time last week as for four days from Thursday to Sunday anyone who logged in got the current Expansion for free, it's now ~20 Euro or so.
    Last edited by Slipmat; 05-19-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    If you're into min/maxing your gear, and worried about the grindy aspects, my advice is to do a google or forum search for "planar fragments", and then make your decision afterwards.
    I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9SQLNSxW_I

is that fairly accurate of their state right now? If so, doesn't sound like anything bad.

I remember when rep grinds where mandatory virtually, and some of them back at SL release took a LONG time.

Telaran

Any comments regarding mage vs rogue? Mage was always my favourite class especially when SL came out and we got Harbinger - partly because it also made the class good fun and competent to solo with!

I'm curious what you mean about gear rolls? Is this a personal loot system similar to wow? (this definitely didn't exist last time I played Rift).
    1. The solo Harb was gutted down by reducing non chloro dmg by 50% if you use lgv for heals.
    Rogue is at the moment easy to play and quite strong. Strongest class without gear is Primalist at the moment. You can probably outparse most people with fresh lv 70 Primalist.

2. You get irc each week 10 Patron/2non-Patron. You have one free roll on gear(25% chance) on each expert boss per day, one free roll for crafting rifts per week(masts for your BiS helmet and range weapon), one free roll on QF(1 boss LFR) per week for your essences(get your BiS essences in a pool of 180 essences or so-you can get essences not for your class) and 2 free rolls on each Boss in TD(LFR Tier 0,5) per week to get your gear for the actual raid. In an upcoming update there will be probably open world bosses/elites with 1 free roll per week and raid rifts with 1 free roll per week.

Also the current raid has 3 mini bosses with 1 free roll per week per Golem afterwards you have to pay 5 irc per roll.

If you want to catch up with your crafting stuff and try to gamble for some essences and to catch up with gear you may want to buy 50-200 irc(12.5-50$). If you still have Rex or large amount of plat it shouldn't be a problem.

Also if you want to max your Planar Fragments you should have a minimum of 40k plat.

Telaran

Short Planar Fragment explanation for max:
    First get your BiS primary stat fragment- 1st layer rng
    For maximum stats get a relic one- only possible in the current T1 raid for Fire and Life(1.5 layer rng)
    If you have a relic one get the 4 secondary stats you need out of 9- 2nd layer rng
    Get the BiS rolls on your secondary stats- 3rd layer rng
    Then get the stat bumps on the best stat of your secondary stat at lv 3,6,9,12 - 4th layer rng
    Hope your bumps are BiS roll bumps- 5th layer rng
    Repeat this lottery 11 times(number of Fragment slots -50 shades of rng

Between worst and max rolls are several hundred stat difference:
    Considering coming back-rngshit.jpg
    Last edited by legitN; 05-19-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks for the explanations. Just checked Topofrift and see my last guild Last Dawn is still kicking around the top of raid rankings - question is if any of the names are familiar!

Going to commit and buy the expansion and 1 month patron. Will see how it goes, see if I can find the love with my old favourite game!

Ok so Rift is currently updating, might be a while!

Kind of excited about this - been about 3 years since I last even logged into Rift!

Quick question: I did get confused by the purchase options on the Trion store. The ascended souls? Are they entire new souls? Are they mandatory to be viable?

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

The ascended souls? Are they entire new souls? Are they mandatory to be viable?
    This is the best Souls Pack to buy, the Ascended one, contains every new soul in the game and since it includes the Primalist ones, you will also get the new Primalist souls coming very soon free.

Unless you plan to join a F2P only Guild it's very unlikely that nobody in the raid will not have any of the new souls

It is nice to have all options/builds/specs covered though, < Last Dawn > are still active and on my shard Zaviel, don't really recognise too many of the names now though.
    Last edited by Slipmat; 05-19-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    This is the best Souls Pack to buy, the Ascended one, contains every new soul in the game and since it includes the Primalist ones, you will also get the new Primalist souls coming very soon free.

Unless you plan to join a F2P only Guild it's very unlikely that nobody in the raid will not have any of the new souls

It is nice to have all options/builds/specs covered though, < Last Dawn > are still active and on my shard Zaviel, don't really recognise too many of the names now though.

Oh wow, I do recognise your name Slipmat. I remember you being very vocal on these forums back in the day!

+ Reply to Thread