+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Eternal Armor BiS?

Telaran

Default Eternal Armor BiS?

So I just got an Eternal Helm off of some random rift, which is pretty awesome! Feels great to get a strong piece of gear randomly. However, I noticed that there's only one upgrade for it currently, and it remains at 275 hit after upgrading it. (For reference, I'm a cleric, can't remember exactly what the item is called but I'm assuming there's only one)

From the patch notes: "Eternal items represent a new tier of power for equipment in RIFT. Every Eternal item is best in slot, and each of them features game changing abilities, including raid-wide damage reduction, enhanced resource regeneration, and Calling-specific buffs! "

So a question: Are there plans for more upgrades? Otherwise, it seems like It's not BiS as a fully upgraded crafted helm has more stats (and has 25 more hit).

Dropped Eternal items are indeed best in slot, but they said with both those and eternal weapons (which will be really BIS for a while) will have more upgrade paths in the future. In my opinion I think the weapons likely will as they said the reason for making them was because they didn't want people be left out by RNG and not getting a weapon upgrade when that's a big part of your dps so at least this way you have something that's guaranteed, but you have to put in A LOT work for it. Rightfully so.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Dropped Eternal items are indeed best in slot, but they said with both those and eternal weapons (which will be really BIS for a while) will have more upgrade paths in the future. In my opinion I think the weapons likely will as they said the reason for making them was because they didn't want people be left out by RNG and not getting a weapon upgrade when that's a big part of your dps so at least this way you have something that's guaranteed, but you have to put in A LOT work for it. Rightfully so.
    Right, I think I heard that they were going to release more upgrade paths as well, but I'm just wondering, because at this current time the helm isn't BiS - the fully upgraded crafted one is arguably better, most notably because it has 25 more hit.

Soulwalker

I hope they don't add any upgrade paths. BIS slot gear shouldn't drop from some random weak mob in open world.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dico View Post
    I hope they don't add any upgrade paths. BIS slot gear shouldn't drop from some random weak mob in open world.
    While I'm tempted to agree, the rarity shouldn't be eternal then. They made the design choice to make Eternal armor rng drops from anything. Eternal items not being BiS seems weird.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Dico View Post
    why the hell not?

who even came up with that rule?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by caduto View Post
    why the hell not?

Back when I was doing more serious progression raiding, I would have disliked any mechanic that gave players BiS gear out of raiding. On the whole, I dislike what they have done with gear over the years. Why is BiS gear not from killing epic raid bosses and instead from large grinds or RNG? It breaks the fantasy slightly for me. I wish they had stuck to the original model and had eternal gear drop from the final bosses, maybe not even having eternal armor and just having eternal weapons for a while, like it was at launch with Greenscale dropping Relic weapons.

BUT, since this is the route they chose to take, it seems that more upgrades are necessary if it truly is meant to be BiS like they said in their 4.1 patch notes.

I don't understand why they didn't avoid the slots already designated for powerful gear, which is to say all weapon slots and the helm. Any other slot wouldn't have gear of this calibre competing with it.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Telaran

It'd be nice to hear from a developer on this. If it's not going to be BiS then I would want to craft a helm and start doing the quests for it, but if there are going to be more upgrade paths I would want to know that as well.

Soulwalker

Agreed, would love to hear from the devs. Don't get me wrong, I really like that some crafted gear is bis and worthwhile again; and also that they have upgrades (that were then extended to keep them relevent). I'm just wondering why, with the known presence of an eternal helm for clerics/rogues/prims, development didn't turn to a different piece of armour or even a trinket (with cool proc upgrade at some point)?

Soulwalker

why the hell not?

I am not opposed to the idea of obtaining BIS gear in some activities outside raiding. However in that case it should be obtainable by everybody in a reasonable amount of time.
    This particular piece of gear is not obtained by doing a real activity. You'd have to be very lucky to get it. RNG at its worst.

Honestly it doesn't make any sense to waste development time on an item which only very few people get.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sokk View Post
    Agreed, would love to hear from the devs. Don't get me wrong, I really like that some crafted gear is bis and worthwhile again; and also that they have upgrades (that were then extended to keep them relevent). I'm just wondering why, with the known presence of an eternal helm for clerics/rogues/prims, development didn't turn to a different piece of armour or even a trinket (with cool proc upgrade at some point)?
    At one point mentioning cm/dev names was a surefire way of getting a response......VLADD? BRASSE? :P

why the hell not?

Because you have done nothing to earn it other than be there. You may have rocked up at the last instant and just tagged a mob and not have done anything to help defeat the mob. Anything epic and powerful should be earned, not handed out as a participation trophy.

I personally think the eternal and chondritic items needing serious amounts of grind is a great step from Trion. When you see players with fully upgraded eternal and chondritic items, they have earned them imo.

Hopefully this will help put a stop to the credit card elite that wear all the finery but have no idea of how to use it.

Not that im against gear dropping randomly from open world stuff but it should be commensurate to the task and based on that should be average or below gear.
    Last edited by Haruchai; 05-19-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai View Post
    Because you have done nothing to earn it other than be there. You may have rocked up at the last instant and just tagged a mob and not have done anything to help defeat the mob. Anything epic and powerful should be earned, not handed out as a participation trophy.

I personally think the eternal and chondritic items needing serious amounts of grind is a great step from Trion. When you see players with fully upgraded eternal and chondritic items, they have earned them imo.

Hopefully this will help put a stop to the credit card elite that wear all the finery but have no idea of how to use it.

Not that im against gear dropping randomly from open world stuff but it should be commensurate to the task and based on that should be average or below gear.
    I don't disagree that gear should match the effort it takes to get it. But, I personally don't think the step towards a huge grind for gear is great. It's a totally different feeling when you complete a huge story (Epic Quest line in chocolate rift for relic wep anyone?) or down a final raid boss for an awesome piece of gear, vs farming 500 rifts and zone event bosses and being arbitrarily locked out while you level a minion to 25.

I really do hope to see Eternal armor being able to be obtained in a way thats also non-random, (maybe last boss in a raid having a slight chance of dropping or something) but I do think that given that I randomly got a piece, if I want to be able to have upgrade paths (that can involve grinding, I don't mind) then they should be true to what they advertised - that Eternal items will be BiS - and add upgrade paths.
    Last edited by Vetheax; 05-20-2017 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetheax View Post
    I don't disagree that gear should match the effort it takes to get it. But, I personally don't think the step towards a huge grind for gear is great. It's a totally different feeling when you complete a huge story (Epic Quest line in chocolate rift for relic wep anyone?) or down a final raid boss for an awesome piece of gear, vs farming 500 rifts and zone event bosses and being arbitrarily locked out while you level a minion to 25.

I really do hope to see Eternal armor being able to be obtained in a way thats also non-random, (maybe last boss in a raid having a slight chance of dropping or something) but I do think that given that I randomly got a piece, if I want to be able to have upgrade paths (that can involve grinding, I don't mind) then they should be true to what they advertised - that Eternal items will be BiS - and add upgrade paths.
    I agree with your last paragraph absolutely, but we have to remember that it isn't about getting you uber'ed up, its about enticement to get players to participate in things that will make the game look busy and active. If everyone was participating, not just to upgrade the new stuff, then Trion would have more scope to make the upgrade paths different. But so many do what they need or want then go afk, or just sit around, in TB for the rest of the time and were not participating.
    Last edited by Haruchai; 05-20-2017 at 05:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast