+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Cross Shard Trading Update

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Cross Shard Trading Update

Hey everyone, wanted to give you an update about Cross Shard trading.

As of this moment, Cross Shard Trading is enabled for testing on EU servers only. The EU's prime time matches our office hours and allows us to respond more quickly to any issues or feedback that arises.

If this goes well, we'll turn Cross Shard Trading for NA servers as well. ETA will depend on how things go on the EU servers.

As of 5/17 Cross shard trading is back on for North America.
    Last edited by Snedhepl; 05-17-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    Lead Engineer
    Minion Overlord

The truth for it being only made available on EU for now is that they didnt want Boase to break it right away again

Thanks for the update and communication
    Check Out My 2017 Let's Play Series (Giveaway Every 5th Episodes 1/5/10/15/etc)
    Cleric - 2017 -Starting from level 1 Zone to Zone exploring / Questing.
    Old Content:
    Cleric - 2014 | Warrior - 2013 | Random - 2011

Telaran

Thanks for the update, Snedhepl
    Bragah - 70 Warrior
    <Grievance> Wolfsbane
    http://www.grievancegaming.org/

Ascendant

will try some stuff today then ... thanks for the update/information/communication!

Ascendant

just logged on two different accounts and traded some bags this afternoon... went just fine, no lag, no hiccups...

Quote Originally Posted by Faerugue View Post
    just logged on two different accounts and traded some bags this afternoon... went just fine, no lag, no hiccups...

Same for me yesterday, tried all shards, everything was quick and fine.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Champion

Works great! A+

Prophet of Telara

AMAGAD

I shall test extensively this evening and report any issues! (I didn't have any the first time round so hopefully I won't this time.)
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Rift Team

And it's now back on for NA as well.
    Lead Engineer
    Minion Overlord

Prophet of Telara

Spent a large chunk of yesterday evening transferring stuff to and from characters on all EU servers. No issues! All worked just fine.
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

Unknown if related to the turning on of the cross shard trading, but in the afternoonish time frame, all the way through ~10pm CST (when I called it quits for the day), the amount of large and micro lag spikes went WAY, WAY up. Not just for myself, but for everyone in my guild. In town, in the dungeons, in TD, in iRotP. Pretty much everywhere.

Was the correction to the cross shard trading an inordinate amount of calls to knowing what shard, or where, the two traders happened to be on? I'm asking that as the game seems to have a bit of a challenge remembering where our characters are, or even where they happen to be, located.

Which can be seen on the map during zone events, to when exiting an instance (dungeon, raid, or even dimension) and seemingly randomly getting placed on to a different Shard from whence we came from. Or even the location by zone/city.

To illustrate that, a mix of characters, faction wise, went into TD last night. When we exited 2 got placed just outside the portal, when they were in a city. 3 got placed in Sanctum, when they were in TB just prior to entering TD. I happened to be out in the world, and ended up back in TB.

I'm not saying that this part of the cause of the lag, just that, to me anyway, it appeared to be too coincidental for it not to be related in some fashion.
    Last edited by Dimples; 05-18-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dimples View Post
    Unknown if related to the turning on of the cross shard trading, but in the afternoonish time frame, all the way through ~10pm CST (when I called it quits for the day), the amount of large and micro lag spikes went WAY, WAY up. Not just for myself, but for everyone in my guild. In town, in the dungeons, in TD, in iRotP. Pretty much everywhere.

Was the correction to the cross shard trading an inordinate amount of calls to knowing what shard, or where, the two traders happened to be on? I'm asking that as the game seems to have a bit of a challenge remembering where our characters are, or even where they happen to be, located.

Which can be seen on the map during zone events, to when exiting an instance (dungeon, raid, or even dimension) and seemingly randomly getting placed on to a different Shard from whence we came from. Or even the location by zone/city.

To illustrate that, a mix of characters, faction wise, went into TD last night. When we exited 2 got placed just outside the portal, when they were in a city. 3 got placed in Sanctum, when they were in TB just prior to entering TD. I happened to be out in the world, and ended up back in TB.

I'm not saying that this part of the cause of the lag, just that, to me anyway, it appeared to be too coincidental for it not to be related in some fashion.
    I can confirm that. Had the same problem around the same time, exactly as you described.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Rift Team

Thanks for the report, but I'd call it unlikely at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimples View Post

No the fix was not that. It was more along the lines of ensuring a proper flow and appropriately handling edge cases.

I suspect that the 3 who got placed in Sanctum were from Shard X and the 2 who got placed outside the portal were from Shard Y. I also suspect that you were in a dungeon hosted on shard X. Feel free to PM me if you have further info like who was from what shard and the like and I can investigate it more deeply. But I strongly suspect this has more to do with an edge case in the teleport process than anything related to trading.
    Lead Engineer
    Minion Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    Thanks for the report, but I'd call it unlikely at best.

No the fix was not that. It was more along the lines of ensuring a proper flow and appropriately handling edge cases.

I suspect that the 3 who got placed in Sanctum were from Shard X and the 2 who got placed outside the portal were from Shard Y. I also suspect that you were in a dungeon hosted on shard X. Feel free to PM me if you have further info like who was from what shard and the like and I can investigate it more deeply. But I strongly suspect this has more to do with an edge case in the teleport process than anything related to trading.
    Firstly, thanks so much for a super quick reply!

I failed to properly state what I was asking. While I did devote too much information on the player X went to shard/zone/city/etc. when exiting an instance, my intention wasn't to dwell on that. To me, that's just a minor inconvenience, nothing game breaking. I was merely using that as a talking point about the game sometimes (to a number of us anyway) not knowing from whence we came.

It was the extra lag that a number of us experienced yesterday afternoon and for the evening. And was "assuming" (yea, we all know what that gets us ;) ) that what y'all had to do was some additional checks to get the cross-shard trading working properly. And that that was what might have been the cause of the lag and micro-lag that a number of us were experiencing.

Normally during my gaming time in Rift, a "latency spike" for me is when it jumps up to 31 ms. The game normally reports between 0 and 16 ms (from mousing over the System icon). For what it's worth, I'm ~5 miles from your servers location; and rift_x64.exe normally shows 6-7 ms Latency in the network monitor.

Last night, right around the time the cross-shard trading was enabled, there was many times where upwards of 3-4 seconds where nothing seemed to occur, as well as many micro-lags throughout the evening. These spikes occurred in iRotP and in TD. Then later on that evening, around 10pm CST in my dimension when I was attempting to get the pattern down pat for my Rogue's Bladedancer.

During the time in my dimension, there was quite a number of times where every 1-2 minutes I was getting those spikes, and it seemed that is occurred just as I was attempting to refresh my dances with Twin Cleave. The dances kept dropping off, even though there was 2-3 secs left before there were due to drop off as I was executing Twin Cleave. The game "hiccuped" (for sake of a better word) at that time. It occurred at other times as well, but as Twin Cleave is crucial to refresh the dances, it was far more noticeable that something was amiss.

Enough of my ramblings though. If I didn't explain things well enough, or you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again Snedhepl for the awesomely quick response,

Dimps
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast