+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Cross Shard Trading Update

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #16
    Rift Team

I got that the spiking was your main concern but it's also not something I can (usually) speak to much of the time: Aside from saying it's almost certainly not cross shard trading that was causing it.

Latency spiking is the sort of problem where even a handful of instances are unlikely to yield actionable information. It could be your router (I once had to debug an issue for a particular game not working on a particular router). It could be your connection. It could be your regional connection. It could be your ISP. It could be your shard. It could be Rift as a whole. It could be our ISP, or our regional connection

So my lack of focusing on the issue in my response wasn't because I was dismissing it, only that I felt I could safely say what wasn't the cause., and silently (and now more vocally) filing it away for future reference in case it continues. So consider it heard and noted

Quote Originally Posted by Dimples View Post
    Firstly, thanks so much for a super quick reply!

I failed to properly state what I was asking. While I did devote too much information on the player X went to shard/zone/city/etc. when exiting an instance, my intention wasn't to dwell on that. To me, that's just a minor inconvenience, nothing game breaking. I was merely using that as a talking point about the game sometimes (to a number of us anyway) not knowing from whence we came.

It was the extra lag that a number of us experienced yesterday afternoon and for the evening. And was "assuming" (yea, we all know what that gets us ;) ) that what y'all had to do was some additional checks to get the cross-shard trading working properly. And that that was what might have been the cause of the lag and micro-lag that a number of us were experiencing.

Normally during my gaming time in Rift, a "latency spike" for me is when it jumps up to 31 ms. The game normally reports between 0 and 16 ms (from mousing over the System icon). For what it's worth, I'm ~5 miles from your servers location; and rift_x64.exe normally shows 6-7 ms Latency in the network monitor.

Last night, right around the time the cross-shard trading was enabled, there was many times where upwards of 3-4 seconds where nothing seemed to occur, as well as many micro-lags throughout the evening. These spikes occurred in iRotP and in TD. Then later on that evening, around 10pm CST in my dimension when I was attempting to get the pattern down pat for my Rogue's Bladedancer.

During the time in my dimension, there was quite a number of times where every 1-2 minutes I was getting those spikes, and it seemed that is occurred just as I was attempting to refresh my dances with Twin Cleave. The dances kept dropping off, even though there was 2-3 secs left before there were due to drop off as I was executing Twin Cleave. The game "hiccuped" (for sake of a better word) at that time. It occurred at other times as well, but as Twin Cleave is crucial to refresh the dances, it was far more noticeable that something was amiss.

Enough of my ramblings though. If I didn't explain things well enough, or you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again Snedhepl for the awesomely quick response,

Dimps
    Lead Engineer
    Minion Overlord

Plane Walker

I can confirm that there was a noticeable increase in lag spikes in iRotP yesterday. Far beyond what I personally experienced last week. I doubt it's at my end, seeing as most of my raid reported the same issue. It was mostly ability lag with things like interrupts going on CD but not actually interrupting. Yes, we all have enough hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leocadia View Post
    I can confirm that there was a noticeable increase in lag spikes in iRotP yesterday. Far beyond what I personally experienced last week. I doubt it's at my end, seeing as most of my raid reported the same issue. It was mostly ability lag with things like interrupts going on CD but not actually interrupting. Yes, we all have enough hit.
    Well what Sned was mostly saying was he has good reason to believe it is not being directly caused by cross-shard trading, and if it's not on your end alright, but there's still miles and miles of cable and transition points between you, your provider, Trion, and their provider that could be experiencing issues.

I can at least say if there's a systems problem on their end, Sneddy will see that it is identified and fix in a timely fashion.

He, at least I can say, deserves a Relic quality minion with 30 stamina for his tenacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Also nerf bards.

Rift Master

I play devil's advocate there.
    Today was my best day since a long time. No ability lag and no freezes in TD this evening

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    I play devil's advocate there.
    Today was my best day since a long time. No ability lag and no freezes in TD this evening
    Glad to hear that. Question is was something in the update that fixed it or a hop between you and the server is working right.
    Check Out My 2017 Let's Play Series (Giveaway Every 5th Episodes 1/5/10/15/etc)
    Cleric - 2017 -Starting from level 1 Zone to Zone exploring / Questing.
    Old Content:
    Cleric - 2014 | Warrior - 2013 | Random - 2011

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Hart View Post
    Glad to hear that. Question is was something in the update that fixed it or a hop between you and the server is working right.
    I'm not a tech, but I think latency spikes are not the game's fault.
    Internet is not a constant thing.
    But when I get constant ability lags while having perfect latency and FPS, I'm more inclined to think there is something in the game that doesn't work well. This seems to be better these days, I hope it will stay that way.

Prophet of Telara

Soooo, is it too soon to ask when cross-shard mailing might join cross-shard trading?
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Islesi View Post
    Soooo, is it too soon to ask when cross-shard mailing might join cross-shard trading?
    TBH I be interested in seeing 1 Auction House for all the NA Servers and one for all EU.
    Check Out My 2017 Let's Play Series (Giveaway Every 5th Episodes 1/5/10/15/etc)
    Cleric - 2017 -Starting from level 1 Zone to Zone exploring / Questing.
    Old Content:
    Cleric - 2014 | Warrior - 2013 | Random - 2011

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Hart View Post
    TBH I be interested in seeing 1 Auction House for all the NA Servers and one for all EU.
    Not sure this would be a good thing... Now you have price variations from shard to shard, and if everything was merged you will get the highest price on everything. Massive inflation when platin is so hard to get is not a good thing to wish.
    You would get every bad effect of a shard merge, but not the good effect of increased population.
    Only "good" way to do it would be a total shard merge, so everything would be one-shard and global population unified. But I don't see this coming soon, too much problems to solve.

cross shard mail would be good for alts, easier than doing trade with an alt account.

Shadowlander

The AH keeps closing while I am looking at stuff for sale.

Rift Master

closing?

before this change, it used to reset itself randomly.
    I search for dims things everyday on every shard, and there was a real problem there, going 6-7 pages, then reset, going more pages, then reset... AH randomly resetting to page one while I browse them.
    I will try today to see if this still happens.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    closing?

before this change, it used to reset itself randomly.
    I search for dims things everyday on every shard, and there was a real problem there, going 6-7 pages, then reset, going more pages, then reset... AH randomly resetting to page one while I browse them.
    I will try today to see if this still happens.
    I tried browsing AH on every Eu shard.
    It runs far better now than before. Instant search, and no more random reset. I could see 60+ pages without any lag or problem.
    So AH is nice as it is now on Eu cluster. Maybe a NA problem?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2