+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree35Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: 1000 planar pellets to upgrade crafted hood or weapon?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Methadras1 View Post
    artifact set lucky coins only work if you didn't spend them yet and/or you haven't finished all the artifact sets.
    There's no way that if you have all the sets you have no coins, there's just not that much to spend it on.
    Last edited by Mizuki Ayu; 05-16-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuki Ayu View Post
    There's no way that if you have all the sets you have no coins, there's just not that much to spend it on.
    IF .. does the average player have that? doubtful. It's far to much of a grind in a quest period. An abnormal thing to ask as artifact sets are extra's, collection items, not germane to quests naturally. It's a big hurdle for the average player who has limited time to spend per week on gaming.

Going artifact hunting is pure luck. Unlike normal quest objectives, even tough and grind like tough one's, you can't simply ''go complete the task''. It's not that simple. You need the the lucky rare artifact to finish the sets and we all know those may not come one your fourth, or sixth or ninth visit to the zone.

Plus the fact you have to wait for the zone to spawn an Unstable event during the time you happen to have time to be on, and are on, line to play.

This is complete hardball marketing tactics on Trion's part and a very HARD form of soft push selling away from actually saying "we intended for you to pay us cash to do this but wanting to keep the appearance of a F2P we chose the hardest thing we could think of at the time as a way of letting you do it free in game."

People are loyal to things they like to a point. The player base get more frustrated over time, thinner, chat more full of "i only log in to blow off in chat, don't play anymore'' and trashier and vulgar etc, and diminishes over time.

The art in Retail is selling items your customers WANT to buy, not creating an environment they feel is forcing them to spend. RETAIL STORE ITEMS ARE IN NEED. Yes quests like this, and all questing, should have diffaculty to them, but this is way over the top.
    Last edited by Ysmyrlda; 05-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ysmyrlda View Post
    IF .. does the average player have that? doubtful. It's far to much of a grind in a quest period. An abnormal thing to ask as artifact sets are extra's, collection items, not germane to quests naturally. It's a big hurdle for the average player who has limited time to spend per week on gaming.

Going artifact hunting is pure luck. Unlike normal quest objectives, even tough and grind like tough one's, you can't simply ''go complete the task''. It's not that simple. You need the the lucky rare artifact to finish the sets and we all know those may not come one your fourth, or sixth or ninth visit to the zone.

Plus the fact you have to wait for the zone to spawn an Unstable event during the time you happen to have time to be on, and are on, line to play.

This is complete hardball marketing tactics on Trion's part and a very HARD form of soft push selling away from actually saying "we intended for you to pay us cash to do this but wanting to keep the appearance of a F2P we chose the hardest thing we could think of at the time as a way of letting you do it free in game."

People are loyal to things they like to a point. The player base get more frustrated over time, thinner, chat more full of "i only log in to blow off in chat, don't play anymore'' and trashier and vulgar etc, and diminishes over time.

The art in Retail is selling items your customers WANT to buy, not creating an environment they feel is forcing them to spend. RETAIL STORE ITEMS ARE IN NEED. Yes quests like this, and all questing, should have diffaculty to them, but this is way over the top.
    you've basically taken the hardest possible way to gather artifacts and presented it as the only way.

once again we're also presented a scenario in which it is made to SEEM as though this is the only possible avenue for gear. which it is not. you do not NEED BiS everything to be viable in end game content. You can get the raid tier items and still be perfectly capable of providing effective contribution to a raid team.
    Last edited by Neurotix; 05-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Love what you do Tacitus, but in this situation there is no masking Trion's intention for these items. Definitely P2W for a best in slot item. You know 30 artifact sets is no easy feat plus the rest... I expressed my concern for this in the Q&A but the question wasn't properly answered. My fears of 2 more upgrade steps with steep plat investment unfortunately came to fruition.

Visionary Metal ~300 plat each (x12) = 3,600 plat
    Upgrade ~20k Planarite each (x 22)
    Celestial matrix ~450 plat each (x13) = 5,850 plat

= 9,450 plat and 440k planarite

(x2) For both Wand and Helm

Ye...
    So you want everything without playing the game? Yes you can buy it, but it is not the intended way.

Matrixes and crafting compos are plenty if you do crafting rifts. Did 20 of them yesterday with a good raid, took 2 hours and got 2 matrixes, 40+ matrix shards, tons of craft compos. Enough to do amenders and give a stack of ore to my guild bank.
    Planarite is easy to get if you play open world content.

30 artifacts is easy to get. Search the artifact list to find short series, or series without many rares. Finish the series you already have, even blues are cheap on the AH.

These upgrades only require to play. You can get everything with a very moderate plat cost if you farm it yourself, or trade with guildies/friends and this doesn't require days of grind. The only thing which is massive grind are the 100 experts. I will not do that, but I know many will.
    I find the whole stuff upgrade system far better than the fragment thing, which I will never do above lv 9 because of the massive plat cost.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 05-18-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    So you want everything without playing the game? Yes you can buy it, but it is not the intended way.

Matrixes and crafting compos are plenty if you do crafting rifts. Did 20 of them yesterday with a good raid, took 2 hours and got 2 matrixes, 40+ matrix shards, tons of craft compos. Enough to do amenders and give a stack of ore to my guild bank.
    So you say as long as you spent money there is plenty of Matrixes.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by legitN View Post
    So you say as long as you spent money there is plenty of Matrixes.
    We were 20 people doing the CRifts, and I saw matrix loot on every Rift we did. It is a random thing, but loot is far better than in NT, or than essence loot for example.
    And if you don't want to do them, you can buy matrixes on the AH, but I was responding to someone who complained it was too expensive to upgrade. You can pay, or you can farm, and farming this is not difficult at all.
    Not like the weapon grind (and its bubble blocking wall) or the fragment lottery.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 05-19-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar)

Champion

To be fair, to farm crifts you either need to shell out money/credits or have a level 65+ banker alt. Drop rate without spending a charge is laughable. I feel for those people who only play one toon. They probably won't have a lot of charges or will want to keep them for TD / golems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post

Planarite is easy to get if you play open world content.

30 artifacts is easy to get. Search the artifact list to find short series, or series without many rares. Finish the series you already have, even blues are cheap on the AH.

These upgrades only require to play. You can get everything with a very moderate plat cost if you farm it yourself, or trade with guildies/friends and this doesn't require days of grind. The only thing which is massive grind are the 100 experts. I will not do that, but I know many will.
    I find the whole stuff upgrade system far better than the fragment thing, which I will never do above lv 9 because of the massive plat cost.
    You're clearly not getting the point of P2W are you. How long have you been playing games? Of course you can get everything without paying, but you could save a crap load of time just paying for it. Hence, those who pay will be strongest first. That is essentially P2W. Hence developers generally avoid allowing BiS items to be bought as a short cut.

I'm not saying I'm entirely against this, as I work a large amount of hours, and therefore feel there needs to be other avenues to access near best items (plus Trion needs to make dollar). But the peak of an mmo should be about time investment and skill. Hence even I, who pays for shortcuts is worried about the direction their taking. At least for now it's only 2 items, so i'm comfortable enough for that. I just believe there's no point denying its clearly P2W...
    Last edited by Refuge; 05-20-2017 at 04:17 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by catonmylap View Post
    Five toons x two crafted pieces: 10,000 pellets (and all the rest of the upgrade parts).

Yes, I am laughing out loud.

Which is, what, 3000 plat on the AH?
    Or about what it cost to upgrade ONE fragment on ONE character?
    If 3000 plat is a big deal to you I'm not sure how you're gonna upgrade 55 fragments.
    The answer is probably that you won't, right?
    Then just don't upgrade the weapon either. You don't need this weapon (and certainly not the max upgraded weapon) to do ANY content.

3k plat is nothing. If you play enough you should do that in a week without even trying.
    a month if you're playing very casually.

You want to own an absolute insane BIS weapon (that you don't even need) on FIVE ALTS.
    Be ready to put the effort into it.

Pellets is the easiest part. I bought 1000 pellets for 350 plat on my AH, there were loads! So ye, no need to do all those artifact runs..
    Last edited by Refuge; 05-21-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Rift Disciple

Default Seems I have some 'splainin to do...

For those of you who don't see the humor (which seems to be most of you)....

What is a planar pellet? It's Opie food, or pet droppings, maybe both? You are feeding your Eternal Weapon o' Massive Doom on squirrel droppings. Yeah, how epic is THAT!?!?

Seriously, I was laughing about this quest. Not crying, not whining, not rending my shirt and screaming "STELLLLAAAAAA!!!!!" to the house. The 1000 or 10000 was just incredulity at the scale of this lunacy.

For those determined to impugn my character over this, please don't bother. I'm a self-confessed f2p filthy casual. I don't "need" a BiS anything. I have not a single planar fragment infused past level 12 (and most are at 9 or less), I haven't bought a personal loot charge, I didn't use credits to fast-track Wicket, and if I have any BiS essences, well, it's news to me. I have buckets of lucky coins. But I don't mindlessly grind (except when I'm too sleep-deprived to do something requiring actual thought! ). I play the game for my enjoyment, and somehow I scrape by: E.g., me skating through a recent Cracking Xarth's Skull from canon phase to final boss (kniqira@greybriar is me - mostly I do heals/support, though):

C'mon, folks! Take a breath, relax -- it's just a silly game.
    Last edited by catonmylap; 05-21-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    You're clearly not getting the point of P2W are you. How long have you been playing games? Of course you can get everything without paying, but you could save a crap load of time just paying for it. Hence, those who pay will be strongest first. That is essentially P2W. Hence developers generally avoid allowing BiS items to be bought as a short cut.

I'm not saying I'm entirely against this, as I work a large amount of hours, and therefore feel there needs to be other avenues to access near best items (plus Trion needs to make dollar). But the peak of an mmo should be about time investment and skill. Hence even I, who pays for shortcuts is worried about the direction their taking. At least for now it's only 2 items, so i'm comfortable enough for that. I just believe there's no point denying its clearly P2W...
    What do you call pay to win?

I play RIFT since beta, and i've been patron for years.
    Since 4.0 I've not paid one credit for stuff. And only paid enough plat to get my better frags to lev 9. Everything ended with a tank stat at level 9 so it will stay this way, no more plat in this.

I am at 2200 hit, I just upgraded my crafted helm for the second time, I have stuff from TD and my weapon will upgrade when Wicket hits 25 (next day I think).
    So I'm not a hardcore player, and I have far better gear than in NT for the time playing in 4.0.
    I know the 100 experts will be a wall for me, but everything else feels fine. I do content, zone events, raid, rifts, invasions, craft rifts, NMR. And I like it, because I feel progression at my own pace.

I don't understand why you say PTW.
    I did all this without paying. Only my patron sub, but this is not different from the previous years, and I find the game far more pleasant than in NT. Only "PTW" possible thing I see is hurrying the minion, and we had far worse things with the NT "matrixes" being sold on the shop and very rare loot.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by catonmylap View Post
    snip
    Well, the point was that you don't even need that weapon, so whether it is 1 planar pellet or a million, it doesn't really matter. you're pulling close to 600k dps, you can be invited to anything you want easily. And in the meantime you can farm the very small amount of plat needed to gear 5 alts with an insane weapon.

Seems more than reasonable to me.
    5 alts = you should be making like 50-100 plat a day on crafting dailies alone. Even if you don't do anything else in the game that's enough to buy the 10000 pellets you (don't actually) need within a mount or two. I highly doubt you could be left out a raids released within 2 months that you won't be able to enter because they ask for more than 589k dps.
    Last edited by somerandomnamee; 05-21-2017 at 12:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3