+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rift honest review

Shadowlander

.........from 4 years ago?
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

Well it hasn't gotten better since then :P
    0.3/8 ID 2.123/4 PF

A 'just joined' one poster links a YT video with a clickbait title?
    Seems 100% legit
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Talking

And here I thought it was going to be done by the Honest Trailers guy...

Wondering which Xpac trailer to submit xD
    Azteck@Greybriar
    <Infierno>

Telaran

Just watched for the first time, and my mind immediately jumped to what an "Updated" version of the video may look like, and what the changes from then to now have been. I also feel like this video, and others like it, could still be used as a reference point, and a reminder of the things that were great to begin with.

Wardrobe System has been overhauled and massively improved. Having started in 2013, I remember wanting to wardrobe, but never really doing so because of having to keep the actual items if I wanted to have different sets of outfits. Skins was by far the way to go, 10/10 on this one. Also, gives a little bit of incentive for guilds/groups to run old raid content. I've been on too many guild Wardrobe runs of ID/EE/FT/PBB to count.

Dungeons and Raids have changed. There's now the addition of the LFR tool, though I haven't really touched it yet so I'm not 100% sure what that entails in terms of good/bad. The idea of bringing back old content in the form of Intrepids is an idea that is pretty cool, but also highly capable of being abused. It's cool to see raids from two (or now three) expansions prior suddenly become not only relevant, but also actually challenging, with maybe one or two different mechanics and new gear. The risk of Intrepids is that too much can be repeated, and/or the repeats can come relatively too soon (looking at you Gyel). It's kinda feeling like this is becoming 50/50 between new content and Intrepids in terms of what's being released now.

Expansions now being Pay-to-Play: Trying to keep this constructive and prevent toxic replies/arguing, so I'm not going too in-depth here. Overall, I'd have to say this was a positive (just not for my wallet lol)

The maker of that video does have a point in that the highest level of currency (Plat) is pretty easy to earn. However, with the removal of the ability to farm old raids solo, I wouldn't go as far as saying that players are/can be "swimming in plat." Fragments are huge plat sinks, and it looks like there's a lot of plat to be made in the REX business.

Patron has also changed quite a bit. Again, having started in only 2013, I'm not sure how accurate that video's description of Sub covering everything was, but that's certainly not the case now. All Patron now does is currency/non-character-stat stat boosts, portable trainers (technically obsolete), portable banks, a free chest every week, a Portal Generator (these are always nice and helpful), a jump to queue fronts, and the Affinity system. Honestly, the Affinity is the only thing worth subbing for imo, but even then it's not really worth it. While I'm glad the changes made with dungeon/WF bonuses were reversed, even with those being behind Patron there just wasn't much reason for somebody like me - Never subscribed, survived only off the occasional purchase of Credits and/or Expansions and/or the Fluff Packs - to actually start subbing.

Fragments annoy me. Being stat boosting, I can already tell there will come a time, if there isn't already, where they are kind of like earrings in that you have to have good ones in order to do upper tier content. I've yet to get any of these really good ones that I will often see people running around with, as most are either not for my calling or low tier. I've got stacks of every Core type piling up in my bags, but no Frags to actually spend any on. In addition, they take up a lot of plat. I see the intended result of trying to remove some of the plat from the economy, and that these are not at all meant to be upgraded quickly, but I guess this part will just take some getting used to for everyone who isn't already.

Minions are a cool idea, and it's always fun to loot the Minion Card of that one boss who drove you and your raid crazy trying to beat it. Also fun to have a stream of income that you can essentially hit "Start" on and not have to worry about for a while.

The Zone Events are fun. Shoot me for saying this, but I enjoy them (Volan for the win). The major bone I have to pick with the SFP Zone Events is that the bosses are 100% reskinned copies of that one Life ZE boss from NMT, Sharlissa. They will use the same attacks, and all use that same shield buff called "Sharlissa's Overgrowth" or something that clearly says it "helps Sharlissa." I would have figured that each boss was just a reskinned version of their NMT counterpart (I.e. Fire and Fire, Life and Life, Death and Death, etc), but no, they are ALL that one Life boss.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    .........from 4 years ago?
    But still valid with the exception of his reason to switch from WoW to Rift.

I found this review, a bit more current.

Active Dimensions - Mupi's Home

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Honoun View Post

Oh god I ate the Banana !! Awesome video - enjoyed watching..

Lol yes nice one 😃

My only critique is the "you have to drop some serious cash", but pointed to all of the individual packs rather than the essentials pack which already existed back then. It's also $5 cheaper (I know not much, but still none the less) for a brand new player to get into Rift than it is for WoW so that's nice. lol

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Hmm, that vid was done a week, give or take, after Starfall was released and weren't the packs he mentionned removed or changed to something else since then? Could be wrong though.

Active Dimensions - Mupi's Home

Unhappy First time in Starfall this evening and

within 5 minutes of starting my first carnage quest I was killed. Not fun. I got one quest done (kill 10 animals) and retreated to Water World. Not likely to play Starfall (ankhet). Nice it was given to me for free, but not fun and I would not ever buy it.

The Rogue/Marksman is very under powered for Starfall. A level 65 beast walked all over my 65 pet and healing did nothing for me.
    Last edited by Lothloria; 05-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothloria View Post
    within 5 minutes of starting my first carnage quest I was killed. Not fun. I got one quest done (kill 10 animals) and retreated to Water World. Not likely to play Starfall (ankhet). Nice it was given to me for free, but not fun and I would not ever buy it.

The Rogue/Marksman is very under powered for Starfall. A level 65 beast walked all over my 65 pet and healing did nothing for me.
    That's because Trion doesn't understand this thing called scaling, and one of the myriad of reasons I quit and won't come back.
    If at first you don't succeed, kill all the witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothloria View Post

You could try something other then MM to level. I would recommend Assassin, but even ranger is better than MM to lvl in SFP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast