+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Please change the particle quest to make it more consistant

Default Please change the particle quest to make it more consistant

with the rest of the quest line.

Right now many if not all of the other eternal weapon requirements involve grinding and repetition. Kill so many infernal enemies. Defeat 1,000 planar invasions. Kill 50 colossi. Etc. These are typical MMO time sinks whether we like them or not and rely far more on groups than on what we can do solo.

The particles quest is a glaring exception. It can only be done solo and is purely a test of PLAYER eyesight, reflexes, susceptibility to vertigo, computer connection and the like. Skill playing a class, gear and other character-related things are entirely irrelevant.

Worst of all it is a key barrier to entry. Fail this one and you never get to the parts that take all the grinding and time. Which are the things that keep many of us playing for endless hours and paying for subscriptions and maybe game enhancements that make this easier like fast mounts.

I know many players just do it in minutes and don't see why it is a big deal. But it IS a big deal to those that are older or have various physical issues or just poor connections and it shouldn't block them from the whole grinding chain of quests. I note for the record that I myself have done it - took over 2 hours and I hated every minute - so I am not asking this for myself as much as for those that have never succeeded in doing it.

Change it to something like a requirement that we get 500 particles or even 1.000 but obviously not all in one try, please. This is the way the rest of the eternal weapon quests work and doesn't discriminate against players that may have well geared characters that they know how to play but aren't as physically capable as others. I remember when you changed the pinatas a bit to accommodate those that were color blind so I know you do sometimes listen to these pleas.

Or if you prefer let us group for this as we can for other parts of the quest chain.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post
    Change it to something like a requirement that we get 500 particles or even 1.000 but obviously not all in one try, please.
    Please no. Don't change it to something this grindy. There are already enough grindy parts in this quest. However, offer an alternative: collect x in one go or do a stupid number of particles as a grind. That would be ok and offer a way for both camps to do this quest.

RIFT Guide Writer

snip
    changing it to something that is so grindy and then still the particles is not really a clever idea. However, if a dev is reading it I would rather have the stupid minion levelling replaced... I play Rift since a long time and before that also other games, but something more mind-numbing I have never ever experienced. I mean really, who in god’s name thought that this is a great idea? I guess the same one that developed the particles just in case that some players do not have a problem with it, the game needed something else to slow down the advancement...

Regards,
    RePyH

PS:
    I did not have any issue with the particles. took me one try and the second one was already a success

EDIT:
    Just to add something to the original post, nothing from that questchain (apart from maybe the last upgrade) is really requesting any kind of skill ingame. the only skill that is tested and I mean really tested is whether or not you have mastered patience.

Killing invasions = 0% Skill required but 100 % patience
    Killing colossi = 0% Skill required but 100 % patience
    Closing Rift = = 0% Skill required but 100 % patience
    Acquire Cores = 0% Skill required but 100 % patience or credits
    Runnding dungeons = 0% Skill rquired but 100 % patience with other players
    LFR TD = 50 % Skill required (I know quite a high number) and 50 % Patience (mostly with other players)

Evidently in any game that has something similar to this, the stuff is not really designed to test your skill in game, it is designed to drag stuff out to test your patience and to give you the feeling you have to do something in the coming months before something new needs to be added to the game.
    Last edited by RePyH; 04-20-2017 at 08:28 AM.

FWIW I just did the 20 particles upgrade part a couple days ago and it seemed a lot easier this time around. I tried the quest a little later and the fall speed seemed quicker. I get the feeling the fall speed for the eternal weapon quest lines has been reduced, making it easier to complete (at least for the non-vertigo sufferers). Maybe I was concentrating more this time around, but I got 20 with orbs to spare, and that was after accidently hitting a red near the start. I didn't read about a nerf, but it certainly seemed that way. That said, time can appear to dilate when excited/concentrating on something.

*EDIT* I remember thinking right after the 20-particle weapon upgrade run, that 25 won't be a problem, and it had seemed daunting after the original 15 particle run.
    Last edited by Linolea; 04-20-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Ascendant

The fall speed does change quite a lot. I don't know what it's based on, but I think it's a bug.

The very first time I did it it was ridiculously slow.... painfully slow especially since I was trying to get world first eternal weapon. Then when I did it again later, it was back to the 'normal' faster speed.

So I'd suggest trying it on different days at different times, as the fall speed definitely changes... somehow.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Dorotea that was one of the most magnificent trolling post I've seen in a while. Nicely done

Rift Disciple

<...> is purely a test of PLAYER eyesight, reflexes, susceptibility to vertigo, computer connection and the like. Skill playing a class, gear and other character-related things are entirely irrelevant. <...>

<...> But it IS a big deal to those that are older or have various physical issues or just poor connections and it shouldn't block them from the whole grinding chain of quests <...>
    Couldn't have said it better myself - it is a test of the player. While i agree that the vertigo part wasn't well thought out, but the rest of this is fine. If you have a connection that bad that you cant turn your view and anticipate when to push a button to hit a STATIC object you will not be able to run out of MOVING red, period. Same with reflexes and the ability to see.

And if you can't move out of red, you can't raid. TD is really forgiving in this, but later tiers (i hope) won't be as forgiving and you will be a drag on the team even with your pumped out eternal. There was a guide and a discussion and another discussion on this already.

If you aren't going to raid, what will you need the weapon for, aside for making stuff die faster in open world that have no enrage timers anyway. The later upgrades are only needed for raids, and as i said, if you can't do particles, you probably can't raid effectively, and thus have no need of the weapon.

Besides, 15 and even 20 are a cakewalk anyway, the only one thats a bit more challenging is 25, which you need to do as well as 16 raid bosses which you probably won't get to if you can't do this.

PS: If there wasn't an eternal weapon, where would you be getting one with equivalent stats? Raiding, and you still can, even if you don't have the eternal.
    Last edited by Alleja zaviel; 04-21-2017 at 01:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Accept that the egregious and obvious mistake you want fixed may be implemented by design and may not be a mistake at all.
    If we see it as an egregious and obvious mistake, maybe there should be more communication to tell us that it is not?
    Alleja Imalla Illvana Mjolln Ketllina <Servants of None> @zaviel

The last time I tried it the fall speed was ridiculously fast. So I gave up and logged out to play a more engaging game.

Rift Master

Could the fall speed be tied up with the player movement speed? If you are in a slow spec, or if some transformations and such exist it could help in that case.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    Could the fall speed be tied up with the player movement speed? If you are in a slow spec, or if some transformations and such exist it could help in that case.
    I've wondered too, I did it on my Shaman wich has +25% move speed from a legendary and I fell quite a lot faster than what I saw in a youtube video...but was too lazy (or busy with other things) to test it out.
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 04-21-2017 at 03:37 AM.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Alleja zaviel View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself - it is a test of the player. While i agree that the vertigo part wasn't well thought out, but the rest of this is fine. If you have a connection that bad that you cant turn your view and anticipate when to push a button to hit a STATIC object you will not be able to run out of MOVING red, period. Same with reflexes and the ability to see.

And if you can't move out of red, you can't raid. TD is really forgiving in this, but later tiers (i hope) won't be as forgiving and you will be a drag on the team even with your pumped out eternal. There was a guide and a discussion and another discussion on this already.

If you aren't going to raid, what will you need the weapon for, aside for making stuff die faster in open world that have no enrage timers anyway. The later upgrades are only needed for raids, and as i said, if you can't do particles, you probably can't raid effectively, and thus have no need of the weapon.

Besides, 15 and even 20 are a cakewalk anyway, the only one thats a bit more challenging is 25, which you need to do as well as 16 raid bosses which you probably won't get to if you can't do this.

PS: If there wasn't an eternal weapon, where would you be getting one with equivalent stats? Raiding, and you still can, even if you don't have the eternal.
    The "vertigo" is the entire issue though. The 3D element is why this part of the quest is nonsense and doesn't actually apply to any part of the game. At best, It's "developing skills" that have no bearing on the rest of this game.

There are NO bosses in this game that are fought either in the air or in the water. No raid encounters. Having to dodge pulsating red aoe in 3 dimensions while weaving around them to get to the blue orbs is not only extremely difficult for many, it has no similarities to any other skill check in this game. And don't even get me started on the wonky opacity settings on the orbs or just how clunky this game handles movement in 3 dimensions to begin with...

I've used this comparison in Dark's thread, but it's like having to get a Scuba license to drive a car. 100% different.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsmith View Post
    The "vertigo" is the entire issue though. The 3D element is why this part of the quest is nonsense and doesn't actually apply to any part of the game. At best, It's "developing skills" that have no bearing on the rest of this game.
    would it help turning terrain distance to lowest so you dont see any flooring or mountains, and imagining that its not you moving but the orbs? That would kinda simulate save spots / lava bad spots randomly appearing might help with the vertigo part, though i have no idea since i am not suffering this particular experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsmith View Post
    There are NO bosses in this game that are fought either in the air or in the water.
    Inb4 raid boss in the air....
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Accept that the egregious and obvious mistake you want fixed may be implemented by design and may not be a mistake at all.
    If we see it as an egregious and obvious mistake, maybe there should be more communication to tell us that it is not?
    Alleja Imalla Illvana Mjolln Ketllina <Servants of None> @zaviel

That face when an easy jumpy game is the hardest content in rift.

>Dorotea that was one of the most magnificent trolling post I've seen in a while. Nicely done <

You are so full of crap your eyes are brown. Then again I'm married to someone with brown eyes so I can't exactly use that as an insult.

Just because 90% of us can do the particles with no real problem is no excuse to have a test of PLAYER physical ability as a gateway to the entire eternal weapon chain. I deliberately didn't mention the later particle quests because those, at least, didn't block the entire quest series. But they too should be modified.

Many of the people I know that couldn't do the miserable quest, or took literally hours to do it, are quite competent at raids - totally different set of skills and challenges. And raids don't wipe if one person can't do one thing quite right - as the particle quest does. Thus if I do my share or more than my share of dps or healing or tanking in the current raid and then can't get to the purple or yellow "safe" zone in time - which has happened - with one of the bosses - the raid won't wipe and I'll still have contributed.

So, yes, people with vertigo or other problems that can't do the particles need the eternal weapon for more than open-world killing of trash.

But more to the point grinding the NON particle time sinks keeps them playing and paying - if none of my characters could even GET to the grinding parts of the main level 70 activity I would unsubscribe and try LOTRO again - I may yet if things aren't improved I refuse to spend hours per character failing the damn 15 particle quest until I get lucky.
    Last edited by Dorotea; 04-21-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Rift Disciple

Particle quest is complete nonsense. Hated every last second of it. The camera view kept changing. My character seemed to travel in anything but a straight line. Not looking forward to doing it again. Will have to think on if I want to subject myself that level of frustration. Put them on the ground or something. Anything but this variable speed falling crap with wonky camera angles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast