+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: The eternal weapon: taking power

Quote Originally Posted by sirdiggby View Post
    just tried something as i typed. ok if u turn on auto walk then you fall alot slower. was able to get 20 again without much effort. spamming the go foward option does seem to slow you down some as well. still not as slow as the other time i was able to get it but that was a different char.
    I think there are more factors included, because it's not movement speed unless it's different to each race, class etc.

I did the 25 particles in 3-4 runs as a Shaman, which has 15% movement speed bonus buff. I'd say I fell quite slowly, but you can pretty much be at a standstill if you time the 2 abilities.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Default Color-Blind

Maybe they can fix it so the red bubbles pulsate and/or have a dotted border of some sort. I'm not sure the devs read all these posts so no idea how folks get ideas across.

Soulwalker

Default Not handicap friendly quest

I suffered from a brain injury when I was young. The falling motion of the particle piece of the quest gives me instant vertigo. Not sure if it is the speed of falling or what but this is not a good quest for people that have handicaps or health issues. Notice color blind people are having issues as well. The jumps and turning are fine but the falling can trigger seizures as well. I realize the argument against people not getting the weapon upgrade if they can't master this motion but the game for some people is about goal attainment from one level to the next. I'm surprised that Rift or Trion would not consider the nature of people with disabilities and offer a different approach to this quest.

Shadowlander

Default no more particles

This should be a side quest for an achievement. I cannot get more than 13, and only 3 times have I done it where the character falls like a feather instead of a stone. There are interrupts or lag spikes or something going on that makes the completion of this quest lucky at best for folks with less than elite computer rigs. TRION, cut the b.s., bypass the particle requirement on an eternal weapon grind. Classic WoW servers are looking better and better.

I have loathed Rift ever since hitting level 70.

Plane Touched

i cant get past 18 and i'm not going to even try to do more.
    my raf code 6WF67QEYJYY7TLCMY2M7
    get some free stuff but you'll have to be my friend!

Soulwalker

Default given up on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticstone View Post
    This should be a side quest for an achievement. I cannot get more than 13, and only 3 times have I done it where the character falls like a feather instead of a stone. There are interrupts or lag spikes or something going on that makes the completion of this quest lucky at best for folks with less than elite computer rigs. TRION, cut the b.s., bypass the particle requirement on an eternal weapon grind. Classic WoW servers are looking better and better.

I have loathed Rift ever since hitting level 70.
    After trying at least 100 times to get the 20 particles I have given up on this and this has left a sour taste in my mouth. I enjoy playing RIFT, but hate games where something is extremely difficult to do and although I do not expect to be handed things on a plate, over 100 attempts just is so disheartening. World of Warcraft had something similar in their game, which I eventually managed to do..but as it took me so long to do, I felt very dispirited and left WOW after 8 years. Sadly, although a Patron in this game, it looks like I will leave Rift for the same reason I left WoW. Not just yet...but probably soon.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Geph View Post
    What people are encountering here is challenging content; and content that others cannot carry them through. Unfortunately, if content is challenging, this means that not everyone will be able to complete it successfully. Not everyone gets to win....and is that 'participation' medal really worth anything after all?

To be clear, the reward for completing this quest line is a weapon that is far above any other piece of gear currently in the game in quality. The quest to attain such a weapon SHOULD be difficult for all players and impossible for some. Not just in terms of time needed to complete the quest, but also in terms of the actual technical difficulty of each stage. The only content to be included in the game in the foreseeable future that may require this weapon is IROTP which is, as the devs pointed out, raid content aimed at the top 25% of the player base. If you cannot complete this quest at the 15 or 20 particle level you probably aren't in the top 25%. Not everyone can be 'above average'. There is an entire set of weapons which drop out of TD which are more than sufficient to complete any of the content other than IROTP.

In the past, gear of this quality would have been available only to raiders who were skilled enough and fortunate enough to be in guilds capable of clearing several mobs of progression raid content. Think about how much progression in MOM or hard mode COA was necessary to get weapon drops. Entire guilds would spend days and weeks banging their heads against the wall until they finally managed to clear that next progression boss. In comparison, these weapons are dropping with far less relative effort; ie farming large amounts of easy content with the occasional somewhat difficult challenge. Reward drops in mmos have no real intrinsic value. If the challenge is too easy, the reward is essentially worthless. If everyone has the item, its value is essentially zero.

In general, Trion has reduced the difficulty of all of its content with this particular release. It looks like IROTP won't actually be progression raid content unless significant changes occur before live release; ie multiple guilds will likely clear the thing on the day of release. The fact that a minority of people cannot complete a particular challenge associated with the quest doesn't mean the quest is broken or in need of fixing, it means the quest is challenging. If a quest is challenging, some people will fail. Reducing the quest to the point where everyone can win simply reduces the whole quest to irrelevance.
    But then players get so frustrated if they can not do something and leave the game. Is RIFT losing more players than gaining..can they afford to lose players? If so then fair enough.

The fact that a minority of people cannot complete a particular challenge associated with the quest doesn't mean the quest is broken or in need of fixing, it means the quest is challenging. If a quest is challenging, some people will fail. Reducing the quest to the point where everyone can win simply reduces the whole quest to irrelevance..
    Not necessarily. As an older, solo player who doesn't raid, I can completely accept that the later stages of the weapon upgrade will probably be beyond me, but to be smacked in the face and stymied on the first step (which I have tried over and over this past week, and just can't get past 12) is pretty disheartening. I'm playing to have fun; real life gives me enough frustration.

(At least I can upgrade my helm and ranged a few levels on my own. I guess I'll settle for that til my sub runs out.)
    Last edited by Saido; 02-27-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    ~ Hana ~ Thorn ~ Mirceliade ~ Zondria ~ Amatsoni ~
    <Mythical Creatures> @Laethys

Shield of Telara

Keep practicing. I know a number of older folks, some of which have the situational awareness and reaction time of a dead slug, who persevered and eventually got all of the particles - including the last stage (25). If they can do it, I believe that just about anybody can - barring disabilities that prevent people from either seeing the bubbles or moving a mouse with moderate speed and accuracy. I acknowledge that some people may need more practice than others but as far as I'm concerned, that's working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Leocadia View Post
    Keep practicing. I know a number of older folks, some of which have the situational awareness and reaction time of a dead slug, who persevered and eventually got all of the particles - including the last stage (25). If they can do it, I believe that just about anybody can - barring disabilities that prevent people from either seeing the bubbles or moving a mouse with moderate speed and accuracy. I acknowledge that some people may need more practice than others but as far as I'm concerned, that's working as intended.
    Fair enough.

I went with option B though, and just had one of my kids do it.
    ~ Hana ~ Thorn ~ Mirceliade ~ Zondria ~ Amatsoni ~
    <Mythical Creatures> @Laethys

I've been stuck at the 25 particles, also I need to kill the priest 5/6 times and haven't been able to get into a group because I'm told my dps is low 350k. Please spare me the elitists! I want to have fun, not frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Iduna View Post
    I want to have fun, not frustration.
    Sometimes those things just don't go well together. Having a low DPS spec can be fun, but frustrating if you need to kill stuff in a certain amount of time. And if you just keep trying with the fun spec, you will be even more frustrated. Changing to the less-fun spec might be good, even if it's just to get the kill. then you can always switch back.

It's all about temporarily remapping your controls for this.

Maybe it's because I'm a shooter veteran, but all you need is fast mouselook reactions, assign the challenge's commands to your extra mouse buttons (everyone needs to play MMOs - all PC games? - with a mouse that has multiple side/thumb buttons. Essential), and spam those targets.

I'm old (41), but I do martial arts and yoga -- so my reactions are still 'in order'. I can still dominate an online shooter match.

For now (cries). Won't be long...
    Last edited by Burnlogic; 03-11-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Soulwalker

Default Can I play without upgrading my eternal weapon

it is really really hard for me, and I wonder if there will be other weapons dropping, if not, is it possible to reach end game at all?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jessebel View Post
    it is really really hard for me, and I wonder if there will be other weapons dropping, if not, is it possible to reach end game at all?
    Depends what you consider end game. If you think about raiding t2 raid - BoS as a dps, then without eternal weapon it won't be possible, unless somehow you can buy a spot for a carry run (i assume you can 9man without much trouble in t2 gear?).

You could probably tank without eternal weapon, the tank staff for mage from EoA is actually pretty decent and has Guard, so I can assume weapons for other classes are similar quality.
    Mage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast