+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By wvjeepguy81
  • 2 Post By Clawd
  • 2 Post By Hailolyergory

Thread: Did 4.1 live up to the hype?

Rift Disciple

Default Did 4.1 live up to the hype?

I've talked to a few people about some of the 4.1 features, but I'm curious what others think about the overall quality and content of the latest patch.

I haven't played for a few months, but I am always checking the forums to see if anything good is happening. The things that made me quit playing was the lack of progression (other than the plat grind of fragments), the class/soul balance issues, the removal of PVP maps and the overall ez-mode of all endgame content.

I'm curious if people think that these issues have been addressed. I am always thinking about possibly returning and I know a lot of people said that 4.1 was the "make it or break it" patch for them. So, do people feel like 4.1 is good enough for people that had recently quit to return and find more to do than they did in 4.0?
    Brazill@Deepwood

Rift Disciple

people wanted things to do so eternal weapon takes care of that for at the very least 2 weeks as trion stated for hardcore grinders. I don't craft so I have no comment on that. I don't do open world stuff unless I have to. (curse you eternal weapon quest ;p )

I mainly want to raid but at this point I'm just going with the flow. I'm not as dedicated as I was before and we still don't know much how things will turn out as far as content in the future. All I focus on now is sparkle's quest, upgrading weapon quest till I'm bored, raids, dungeons and pvp for weeklies and charges only.

Of your 4 main reasons for leaving, two will still seem problematic for you. One remains to be seen and the other I don't know enough to comment upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreezee View Post
    ...the lack of progression (other than the plat grind of fragments), the class/soul balance issues, the removal of PVP maps and the overall ez-mode of all endgame content.
    Mostly the game remains pretty darn easy to more than the very casual player. Personally I think Trion is deliberately trying to err on the side of too easy to keep players and encourage more. That's nothing but my opinion, though. The ez-mode of the current content also means that progression is not needed - unless the grind for the eternal weapon is fun enough for the final reward. That would be your opinion on that.

The class/soul balance has been worked on and there were many/major changes to pretty much every soul. I don't think Trion is trying to keep giving us a "flavor of the month"; I think it's just the result of a very complex power system with too many variables. It remains to be seen if things balance out.

As for PvP, there are still less maps than we had originally, but I don't know much about it as I'm not very good at PvP so I don't do it much.

I think it's worth it to come back to see. What can you loose but one weekend's worth of your game time to see if it fits you again

Champion

First day TD was released some people in my guild farmed it over 10 times. No one had any trouble with it. No group ran into any problems. Some had an occasional wipe but generally it was kill everything quick and redo.

I am sure people will be grinding the eternal quest, but for the most part it feels like this stuff is too little too late to really change much going forward. It would have been nice for the eternal quest stuff to have come out in january so people would have had something to do.

Once people are out of individual reward charges/get bored of TD they can either spend credits for more charges or...grind the eternal weapon quest. Still very little to do and for raiders we can look forward to...rehashed rotp

General of Telara

I'm sure you consider all aspect of play types in Rift, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I'm 80% Dimmer, so for me, 4.1 was Christmas and New Years meshed into 1. Couldn't be happier. The Dev/Art team are awesome. Now for the 20%.

The Eternal weapon quest is lame. Mainly, because of part 1, with the jumping on the bubbles. Now I don't have a problem with jumping games, been doing them since Castlevania.

But jumping is not one of Rifts strong points, so to have it necessary to complete the mission is once again, lame.

I don't raid and no longer PVP, since that died out a few updates ago. Haven't done Crifting yet, but its on the list. The crafting upgrades were a bit weak and the nerf to the XP for crafting shares the Eternal Weapon's quest in lame-ness.

The cap to the adventurine, has affected me greatly, because in order to benefit the most for the rare dim items in the 4 hour premium crates, requires lots of adventurine. (Tip of the day: For all you non-dimmers placing the new dim items for 500p or more.... Not practical. We don't have the currency means that most other aspects of Rift do, so for the most part, your high priced items will sit)

All in all, because I dim, I give it an 7/10.
    Korvac the conquerer.

Soulwalker

Massive nerfs to some souls that weren't even top dps to begin with. Who knows why?

Champion

Default Having fun yet?

For PVP, 4.0 deleted about 75% of the PVP content, and 4.1 still brought nothing back but a few weeklies. Oh and my calling is now nerfed beyond cannon fodder.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by swordkata View Post
    I'm sure you consider all aspect of play types in Rift, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I'm 80% Dimmer, so for me, 4.1 was Christmas and New Years meshed into 1. Couldn't be happier. The Dev/Art team are awesome.
    I don't dim at all, so make it 100% satisfaction because finally those minion dim crates have some AH value, at least for now.

Now for the 20%.

The Eternal weapon quest is lame. Mainly, because of part 1, with the jumping on the bubbles. Now I don't have a problem with jumping games, been doing them since Castlevania.

But jumping is not one of Rifts strong points, so to have it necessary to complete the mission is once again, lame.
    I have a working SNES if I desire a nostalgic jumping game.
    I can't relate to the cuteness of having such stuff in an online MMO.

I don't raid and no longer PVP, since that died out a few updates ago. Haven't done Crifting yet, but its on the list. The crafting upgrades were a bit weak and the nerf to the XP for crafting shares the Eternal Weapon's quest in lame-ness.
    Got raid/pvp burn out in WoW.
    Came to Rift, took one look at the offerings and dismissed them as pathetic by comparison.
    As for crifting, nice idea, but looking back at crifting in the past I'd give it maybe 2 months before the rewards are nerfed and become available in the store for credits.

The cap to the adventurine, has affected me greatly, because in order to benefit the most for the rare dim items in the 4 hour premium crates, requires lots of adventurine. (Tip of the day: For all you non-dimmers placing the new dim items for 500p or more.... Not practical. We don't have the currency means that most other aspects of Rift do, so for the most part, your high priced items will sit).
    The cap to adventurine was a typical Trion reaction to exploitation.
    Prior to 4.1 I'd open and vendor trash all dim crates. I expect once the dim community has been saturated by the contents I'll be doing it again. For now the grates go on the AH at very reasonable prices (ie 1 gold - 60 gold)

This is my "fresh start account". It is just over 40 days old and I am enjoying leveling one of each calling. I don't have SFP on this account and have no intention of adding it.
    I expect that once Trion have milked as much cash from it as they can it will become mandatory.

My "main" account is pa maxed and crafting maxed with 7 "active" level 70s.
    I control 3 other accounts, all with at least 5 level 70s.
    These accounts were dumped on me by my family who all quit shortly after SFP release.
    Because of this the crafting daily XP nerf is, although totally expected, irrelevant.

As for the "make or break" suggestion......
    4.1 definitely did NOT make it. Nor did it break it, that was done ages ago.

I feel for those new to the game who expect to be able to play the game the way they want and am saddened by the absence of most of my family and friends who realized that they could no longer do so.

The future success of Rift will depend on it being ported to a game console where it can be played with two thumbs. The progression of alterations to the game suggest this may well be the intention.

Plane Walker

Yes 4.1 lived up to its hype.

There was no hype going into 4.1 and it delivered nothing great.

Just what the players expected.
    #endthedoublestandards

I never saw no hype now I know why,so I guess you can say yes it did in that aspect. 4.1 as far as a MMO goes should of already been 4.2 since 4.0 was only 3.90.

Rift Chaser

Default Hype? There was Hype?

The best part of 4.1 was the 3 week delay in any hotfixes prior to release.
    This resulted in no breakages for over 2 whole weeks.
    Even so, amazingly enough, minions started giving snowflakes and bells for a while there in the last week. I suspect a stealth patch that was applied contained the bug.

Rift Disciple

There is currently a lot to do. So far we have done the CRIFTS and also TD. The carnival is now active so we have so many things to do and so little time to get it all done. I am chasing the new earrings available with the sixth anniversary festivities. Everyone is too busy grinding the new weapons so it means that everything will be crowded for a while.

The good news though is that that people are now back on the zone events which i think was part of the intent with the new weapons.

Soul's being rejiggered adds another dimension of challenge of RIFTas folks try to learn new builds and rotations. I don't know why folks are upset since this is a regular occurence since before beta.

One fo the things that i like about RIFT is that it doesn't stay boring.

I am enjoying 4.1

I am enjoying it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wvjeepguy81 View Post
    Massive nerfs to some souls that weren't even top dps to begin with. Who knows why?

Yeah, wuts up with that.

Everyone who complained about the content drought got what they wanted for the most part. The eternal weapons are bringing in a initial tsunami of people into all of the old and current zones and that wave will keep going for a long time to come which is a good thing. Whether it's fun or not is completely subjective so while people will give your their opinions, that's all they are. Jump in game, take a look and decide for yourself.

I'm personally really enjoying things. My guild is working on eternals first and jumping into raid next week instead as there's no rush. I would've like to seen the guild changes come, but they'll be here in due time

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

+ Reply to Thread