+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree37Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Welp, guess I'm done playing on alts

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Xydru View Post
    This is not challenging content. It is a massive time sink, and it requires dedication over all else. There is nothing challenging about grinding the same tired rifts and zone events and invasions and dungeons and warfronts we've been grinding for as long as we have. I find it actually insulting that you would even use the word challenging when you talk about the eternal weapon quest grind. The guided falling thing with the particles in the first quest was actually fun at first, because it's new and different from what we always do.
    Can you give example of challenging content in an MMO?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgin86 View Post
    Can you give example of challenging content in an MMO?
    dimensioneering.
    "flurpphbtphbtpsplurrrrrtpoootis"
    a.k.a. slap matt

Rift Chaser

Default Thorgin86 Compelling Content Examples

Compelling content usually means something new. Preferably connected to the story line.

Eternal weapon quest would be more interesting with appropriate lore attached. Not just a scavenger hunt with mind numbing repetitive tasks.

Cut scenes for variety.

Quests that include the player (as a champion, or hero, or noble) as part of the questline "saving" something (a village, an important character, etc). The beginning part of SFP *almost* did that with the wayward dragon, but the squeaky voice and annoying helicopter mom dialog by Shyla was a turn off. Including the player as part of the gameplay generates interest and loyalty.

Something to strive for other than the mind numbing repetitive "kill x or y 1000 times." No one minds killing a few rifts, killing a few invasions, killing bad guys. That part is MMO fun. But if you look at the difference in invasions in Vanilla Rift vs invasions in NMT or SFP you can see the neverending waves are more annoying than rewarding.

Stop carnage quests. Regular questlines are enough if you make them compelling enough.

Dungeons- offer appropriate rewards based on level and hit. Offer new dungeons- or at least master levels on all dungeons and chronicles- without having to be segregated from everyone on a different shard to do so.

Make progressive raiding a thing again. While many feel it is a scant 1% of players- those raiders drive the direction of the game. They drive crafting, the AH, grouping, guilds, and espirit de corps. No one gets a familiar warm fuzzy feeling pugging.

Work harder on class balance- and let magic users use magic effectively, rogues be sneaky and fast, warriors clunk with plate but swing mighty swords, etc etc. Bring back viable support specs- which are a unique and wonderful addition to any game.

Compelling content means creativity and innovation and commitment to putting dev assets to work. It has been done- Vanilla Rift did this beautifully. The story, the ability to draw in the player, the ability to feel a part of the story, the saving of villages, all of it- even the PvP was great.

I suppose all this is just my opinion. Perhaps I have just grown out of the game- 6 years and holding. But honestly- compelling content makes the medicine of working hard for something much more palatable.

Default wtf is wrong with you people?

Quote Originally Posted by Andracleric View Post
    Compelling content usually means something new. Preferably connected to the story line.

Eternal weapon quest would be more interesting with appropriate lore attached. Not just a scavenger hunt with mind numbing repetitive tasks.

Cut scenes for variety.

Quests that include the player (as a champion, or hero, or noble) as part of the questline "saving" something (a village, an important character, etc). The beginning part of SFP *almost* did that with the wayward dragon, but the squeaky voice and annoying helicopter mom dialog by Shyla was a turn off. Including the player as part of the gameplay generates interest and loyalty.

Something to strive for other than the mind numbing repetitive "kill x or y 1000 times." No one minds killing a few rifts, killing a few invasions, killing bad guys. That part is MMO fun. But if you look at the difference in invasions in Vanilla Rift vs invasions in NMT or SFP you can see the neverending waves are more annoying than rewarding.

Stop carnage quests. Regular questlines are enough if you make them compelling enough.

Dungeons- offer appropriate rewards based on level and hit. Offer new dungeons- or at least master levels on all dungeons and chronicles- without having to be segregated from everyone on a different shard to do so.

Make progressive raiding a thing again. While many feel it is a scant 1% of players- those raiders drive the direction of the game. They drive crafting, the AH, grouping, guilds, and espirit de corps. No one gets a familiar warm fuzzy feeling pugging.

Work harder on class balance- and let magic users use magic effectively, rogues be sneaky and fast, warriors clunk with plate but swing mighty swords, etc etc. Bring back viable support specs- which are a unique and wonderful addition to any game.

Compelling content means creativity and innovation and commitment to putting dev assets to work. It has been done- Vanilla Rift did this beautifully. The story, the ability to draw in the player, the ability to feel a part of the story, the saving of villages, all of it- even the PvP was great.

I suppose all this is just my opinion. Perhaps I have just grown out of the game- 6 years and holding. But honestly- compelling content makes the medicine of working hard for something much more palatable.
    WHY?

why would anyone want to do raids when there's evil EMPTY dimensions to adorn??? have you ever seen an EMPTY dimension?? the HORROR.

i always buy atleast a hundred dimension lockboxes in hopes that i get enough cr@p... err i mean awesome shiny items to adorn my poor empty dimensions with.

how can people stand not having a dimension chock full with rubb... i mean shinies! yes, definitely shinies! is beyond me.
    a.k.a. slap matt

Rift Chaser

Default Haha Fantasyy- could you please adorn my evil dims?

Hey Fantasyy- I hate dims so much my dim is the guild dump for dim items no one wants. Be my guest- anyone- it is full open public- Andra's Anywhere dimension. Take what you like. Adorn what you like. Have fun! You can find me running around in circles in TB.

Hey Fantasyy- I hate dims so much my dim is the guild dump for dim items no one wants. Be my guest- anyone- it is full open public- Andra's Anywhere dimension. Take what you like. Adorn what you like. Have fun! You can find me running around in circles in TB.
    be there or be square!!

but wait, you're a circle :thinks:
    a.k.a. slap matt

Classically, in Vanilla and SL, BiS legendaries came from the very last boss.

Is the grind THAT bad? I mean, we had a huge grind at the launch of Legion that had hardcore raiders doing nothing but one dungeon in a certain difficulty for 10+ hours a day to max their weapon before they got reset in this last patch.
    Last edited by intrinsc; 04-19-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4