+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: PRODUCER'S LETTER: Wins, Challenges & The Future of Telara!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #76
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    Do they even have the floppy disks with the original vanilla souls and skills from launch?
    Ya. But it's actually all on reel to reel tape.

Rift Disciple

Default Can't Wait ..

Here is what i gleemed from the producers letter which was deeply appreciated.
    • Trion needs to encourage their folks to get their flu shots in the fall. Have a nurse come to the office and get it done. The flu sucks and not something to be taken lightly.
    • Upgrading to the 64 bit client probably took longer than anticipated and impacted the delivery for the 4.0 content. With the new client, we should start to see some dramatic new things and additional flexibility
    • The servers are in need of hew hardware. The question is whether this will provide a relief to the lag we have all been seeing as of late?
    • Would love to see more challenging content including more mechanics. I like the idea of "hard mode" but incorporate that in the dungeons. I fear that "hard mode" servers will be the same content but everything will have more health and do more damage. Taking 10 minutes to kill an NPC is not my idea of fun.
    • Very happy to see that Trion has backups and is able to get their environments back when things crash. It's a horrific event but think people would have been more understanding had they been upfront about it instead of "radio silence" for two weeks.
    • What does "refresh" mean related to servers versus upgrading them? Is the OS going to be updated which may reduce (or eliminate) the lag? Just curious what that means.
    • Would love to see more artifacts added to the newer zones including unstables, poisonous and burning.

Still loving the game and happy that things are looking up. Looking forward to an exciting Spring on RIFT.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ongar View Post
    snip
    Your horse/water thingy is not really doing it for me.

My point of the post was not to get into a discussion which kind of player base RIFT has now. I just do not believe that the "RIFT Challenge" in whatever shape/form will do any good if it is tied to the progression of your char on LIVE. And there is the problem, if it is not tied to any progression on LIVE no one will really use it.

RIFT also just lacks the player base for a game besides the main game. Pull player off your server to play some other part of the progression and all the "load balancing" changes would be for nothing. :P

Rift Disciple

When I read the the idea of a "hardmode server" in the producers letter it made me feel like they don't really understand why people enjoyed hard content.

When it comes to progression games, people will always choose the path of least resistance (assuming the rewards are the same). The reason hard content was fun in the past was because you HAD to do it to progress. It gave you a sense of accomplishment (and was the only way to progress) when you got past something hard that was in your way.

I personally don't want artificially hard content (unless it gave me MUCH better rewards). Like most players (when I was playing), I have a finite amount of play time and most of that time is spent trying to progress in some way or another. If I had the choice of progressing quickly on the "normal" servers or slowly on the "hardmode" server I would always choose the normal server.

On the other hand, if the only/best path for progression was on the HM server, I would most likely take that route (and enjoy the process much more).
    Brazill@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Dreezee View Post
    When I read the the idea of a "hardmode server" in the producers letter it made me feel like they don't really understand why people enjoyed hard content.

When it comes to progression games, people will always choose the path of least resistance (assuming the rewards are the same). The reason hard content was fun in the past was because you HAD to do it to progress. It gave you a sense of accomplishment (and was the only way to progress) when you got past something hard that was in your way.

I personally don't want artificially hard content (unless it gave me MUCH better rewards). Like most players (when I was playing), I have a finite amount of play time and most of that time is spent trying to progress in some way or another. If I had the choice of progressing quickly on the "normal" servers or slowly on the "hardmode" server I would always choose the normal server.

On the other hand, if the only/best path for progression was on the HM server, I would most likely take that route (and enjoy the process much more).
    Lets assume raid gear earned on the hard server would give you 10 % more stats, then it would make content easier. So thats not an option.

Lets assume raid gear earned on the hard server would give you a special look, but because people that see you with that look are also on the hard server, eventually also have the look unlocked, it would be nothing special.

No, I heavily doubt you get more rewards, you will -mostly- get more grind and thats "your reward" overcoming those barriers. Maybe no lfg for dungeons and more xp required per level. Stuff like that.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ongar View Post
    Lets assume raid gear earned on the hard server would give you 10 % more stats, then it would make content easier. So thats not an option.

Lets assume raid gear earned on the hard server would give you a special look, but because people that see you with that look are also on the hard server, eventually also have the look unlocked, it would be nothing special.

No, I heavily doubt you get more rewards, you will -mostly- get more grind and thats "your reward" overcoming those barriers. Maybe no lfg for dungeons and more xp required per level. Stuff like that.
    I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that it would just be an extra open world server. It would not effect raids at all and you could server hop back and forth like you can with all current servers.
    Brazill@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Dreezee View Post
    I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that it would just be an extra open world server. It would not effect raids at all and you could server hop back and forth like you can with all current servers.
    Im only assuming as well.

However if it was a shard where you could hop back and forth, then people would do a lot of things on the normal shard and only jump over to the hard shard for certain tasks that seem to be worth it and that would defeat the whole purpose of the hard shard.

For example you would do everything on the standard shard for efficiency, but hop over to the hard shard because of a world event where people get the title "I am iron man" only on that server.
    Last edited by Ongar; 03-27-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Simon View Post
    Ya. But it's actually all on reel to reel tape.
    What, no punch cards?

T

I would love to test out this new Hard Mode server before it's launched, and I know quite a few other people who'd like to give it a crack.

Champion

I'm all for a hardmode / vanilla Rift server and all... But this is planned after the main Rift game is almost completely free of bugs, balance issues, glitches and lack of content, right?

Prophet of Telara

I'm interested in the possibilities of the Challenge server. It would be fun to go back and revisit the game as it was at various points in its past - at least in terms of souls and such. Not sure I'd like losing the QoL/interface improvements

I'm potentially interested in a hardmode season, an easymode season etc. Challenges to beat to boost your mains would be fun too, but only if they aren't so time consuming it'd take months of work on a challenge server - this is meant to be supplemental to the main game, not detract from it!
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Default Regarding RIFT Challenges

Thanks for the Producers Letter Archonix hope the dust is settling from all the chaos, cheers for the insights.

Good luck with 4.1.

In regards to RIFT Challenges.

I am on the fence.

Bringing back that feeling of logging on and having a lot to do that's attainable in the couple of hours instead of a couple of weeks/months, even years is what I miss about Telara.

I would sooner see all content added to LFR, rewards in alignment for max and low levels to enjoy content together so achievements can be completed on current characters etc OR bringing back world content with hardmode versions or different versions being thought of for this server.

I could see Hardmode being fun as people race to get shard/world firsts but that sense of urgency/achievement lasting only a month or so which leads me to appreciate the thought of changing it up as you have mentioned from the original thoughts but MMORPGs are loved because their are goals to achieve and new things to discover as a unit (guild) as well as an individual. The new part doesn't remain exciting in content already discovered I am learning that in ArcheAge which is economic heavy more than achievements like Rift.

Leading further on to thinking about collections which have been such a huge draw card in Rift on top of who will remain in current servers and who will go to challenge servers or even who will do both to form guilds/parties to enjoy whatever choice you wish to make.

The mind spins.

I'm sure ya'll have thought about these things and I know its very early days but even from this limited angle thinking about RIFT Challenged in terms of money spent and whether its worth continuing to spend it on content already seen with or without people you enjoy it with and no collections as it would have to be fresh start its just not really appealing beyond the shortest period of time which could be made content on current characters.

The questions are for such a world to co-exist with the current - what would be the biggest draw cards to do it? Will their be anything new or unique?

Plane Walker

"While we recognize that the amount of end game content was lacking for 4.0, we also feel that Starfall Prophecy offered something for every play style, served within some of the most beautiful content we have produced."

Can a developer please tell me what Starfall Prophecy offered the PvP playstyle? Obviously it wasn't beautiful content that was produced.
    Was it new Warfronts? No it was less warfronts.

Was it a consistent way to progress in game? Nope heck the PvP gear doesn't even have it (unless it changed in the last 3 months because I haven't ran a WF in 3 months)

Was it an update to CQ? Nope still disabled.

Was it a reason for WPvP? Nope I guess that doesn't matter.

On a second note this producer's letter is a lot like 4.0 lots of excuses and promises, but no real content. In this short letter I counted 9 "promises for the future" and only 3 comments on what WILL be released.

Sadly a business can't run with promises, excuses and well wishes.

Like I tell my employees "life happens, but when it happens you have to leave it at the door when at work." I have been in sales/management for over 15 years and I have NEVER used the excuse of sick employees (short staffed) for not hitting a goal or meeting a deadline.

Very very disappointed.
    #endthedoublestandards

CQ confirmed dead via live-stream, Vladd sicked Daglar on me when I would repeatedly ask and they said the coding isn't worth fixing to make it good. (More or less)
    Grl / Grrrl / Grrrrl / Grrrrrl @Deepwood <Hello Kitty> Grrrrl / Grl @Zaviel and probably more...

RETIRED

Default Better than CQ

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrrl View Post
    CQ confirmed dead via live-stream, Vladd sicked Daglar on me when I would repeatedly ask and they said the coding isn't worth fixing to make it good. (More or less)
    If you want to enjoy something that is what CQ was supposed to be, play WvW in GW2. It's lots of fun, lots of rewards (you actually receive rewards based on your participation) and has an amazing community.
    Excusing and tolerating disrespect guarantees it will continue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast