+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Rift Reborn - a hard reboot

Lightbulb Rift Reborn - a hard reboot

Dear Trion and Rift community.

I love Rift. Or, I loved Rift.

I want to start this overly long post like that because I know of a lot of people who still do love Rift, and who still enjoy playing it. Either casually from time to time, or hardcore as a hobby. It's a great core, with a great aesthetic and a lot of great features around it. Everything from the unique class/soul system, to the cool world events, to the awesome dimensions. There's a lot to love about Rift and I have half-a-dozen max-level characters I've been playing for years and years.

However let us not delude ourselves. Rift is not doing terribly well in it's current state.

This is part speculation and part statistic fact.
    • The practical, provable, and undeniable part of this conclusion comes from the shard population itself. When was the last time you saw a shard climb above "Low" population? Last I personally saw it was during the F2P-surge, but when Rift was no longer flavor-of-the-week it hit "Low" like brick in water.
    • The second part of the above conclusion is the more subjective side of the matter. There just doesn't feel like there's people anywhere. Be it Meridian, or Sanctum, or Tempest Bay or just a questing zone, you'll feel the eerie emptiness everywhere. You can also notice it in the dead-empty world chat. People just aren't around anymore.

These two arguments lead back to the above conclusion: Rift is not doing well. Rift is either baaarely pulling enough weight to stay afloat, or has been a money-furnace for Trion for quite some time now.

The above is, the way I see it, the reality of the situation.

I will now take a moment to diagnose the top three reasons Rift finds itself in this situation:
    1. Free too play: "F2P isn't the death of a MMO game, but it's the death of a community." F2P is, and always will be, a mistake for community-driven games. Arcade games like mobas and some shooters can sustain themselves on F2P because they aren't built around a community of people like MMOs are. The F2P transition threw away a massive number of the playerbase for a quick temporaty boost of players. I wish to remind people that most shards were on "Medium" population and a few were on "High" pre-F2P. Now we'll be very lucky if a single shard manages to peak a "Medium".
    2. Poor shard management: As time went by, it became clear that Rift didn't NEED as many shards as it had, and Trion saw it as a great chance to cut some costs by shutting them down. My problem is a bit of a personal one, but it's a great example of bad server management can result in a massive decline in playerbase. The European realm "Argent" was the only RP server the Europeans had. It was scourged during the dreaded F2P transition. These RP'ers now had no Europeans servers to RP on, and as far as my experience goes, thus chose to leave the game. This is just one example of strange and otherwise ill-informed shutdowns and merges that cause people who enjoyed their communities to go homeless.
    3. Pay to win: We can all delude ourselves into thinking that there is no technical P2W in Rift. That we can all grind for REX and thus gain some of the currency required to buy stuff in the shop without ever paying a dime. And that's true, but it's also a very warped sense of the P2W-term. Pay too win essentially means that a player with more money will be able to beat a player with no money if put in the same context. If two fresh max-level characters decide to duel it out, who will win? The guy who's in questing-greens with a dungeon-blue here or there, or the guy who bought all the best stuff he could from the store the second he hit cap? As long as there exists a single instance of a player with more money being able to beat a player with less money for no other reason than that, Rift IS P2W and a lot of people are turned away because of it.

If you're still reading you're ready to delve into what I consider "the point of this thread". Rift needs a reboot.

I'm going to try to keep this short but I feel that the healthiest thing for this game is to turn it off for a few months while Trion implement something like the following for Rift Reborn (or whatever they end up calling it):
    • The game should be subscription based. This ensures a lot more people are willing to try a lot more of the game before turning away, and will generate a lot more stable income.
    • All items from the store should be distributed in the world, and the store (with its currency) should go away completely.
    • The NA and the EU should have three shards each: one PVE, one PVP and one RP, with a possible exception of a some "internationals".
    • The base game should come with all the expansions, except the latest one, which could be sold separately.

This would result in a tighter, more close-knit community on shards they could call home, experiencing ALL the content Trion made (even he stuff hidden away in the store).

And sure, there is probably tons more stuff that needs tweaking and fixing and management for something like this to work but I think it'd result in a better game for the players, and a more profitable one for Trion.

(PS: Previewing my post before posting it I realize talking about this stuff might be a bannable offence. If it is, I face the firing squad with a smile.)
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 02-04-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

Ascendant

Honestly I cannot see how the company that brought us SFP will be able to start the game anew. The Trion that released Rift nearly 6 years ago is not the same Trion that released SFP, so you first would need to do a hard reboot on the company itself.

Of course I have no idea what their plans on Rift might be. But when you look at their promises from last year ("SFP will be highly polished") and how this turned out, even knowing those plans doesn't mean that anything of what they plan will ever be achieved.

I for one would love to see Rift return to its glorious days, but let's be honest here - this is not going to happen.

Champion

Default Another cringe-thread

The fact that everyone's hardcore/elitist/raider-friendz are leaving doesn't mean that Rift isn't doing very well per se. Travel through low lever zones and you're see lots and lots of new people. The game has changed, that is so true. Logically this will attract a different kind of player.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlavius View Post
    The fact that everyone's hardcore/elitist/raider-friendz are leaving doesn't mean that Rift isn't doing very well per se. Travel through low lever zones and you're see lots and lots of new people. The game has changed, that is so true. Logically this will attract a different kind of player.
    This reminds me of the "keep the faith" posts by the Wildstar faithful during the post Steam launch when they were in heavy denial about numbers not being good.

It's ok for you to enjoy whatever you like but being in denial helps nobody.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    Honestly I cannot see how the company that brought us SFP will be able to start the game anew. The Trion that released Rift nearly 6 years ago is not the same Trion that released SFP, so you first would need to do a hard reboot on the company itself.

Of course I have no idea what their plans on Rift might be. But when you look at their promises from last year ("SFP will be highly polished") and how this turned out, even knowing those plans doesn't mean that anything of what they plan will ever be achieved.

I for one would love to see Rift return to its glorious days, but let's be honest here - this is not going to happen.
    One could live in hope that once the current Trion team decide to call it quits on Rift that they sell it off to a team of people who could release it as a sub-based "legacy Rift" that would include all that Rift was prior to the Starfall Profiteering infection.
    Ideally this new team of people would consist of the original developers of the game.

You're right, it doesn't. But... It's not just all of my leet friends that are leaving. Some of my best friends in this game have never touched a raid and they left because there was nothing to do.

Not sure what is "Lots and lots" to you, but during prime time last night, I was in Freemarch and I saw one other person and they were level 70. This game doesn't have the playerbase to spread "lots and lots" of players across the large number of zones it has.

There was a point where it could be argued that we were just naysayers, but at this point it's just denial to say that this game is in a good spot. I was hoping to have it be acknowledged on the stream with my question, but, as expected, Brasse/Archonix chose to nitpick and leave out the bulk of my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Yeah, but as OP pointed out, when was the last time shard population reached "Medium", maybe we need new measure for population. Low, Really Low, How low can you go...

If this was earlier Rift, shards would be shut down and player merged with other shards.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    [*]Free too play: "F2P isn't the death of a MMO game, but it's the death of a community." F2P is, and always will be, a mistake for community-driven games. Arcade games like mobas and some shooters can sustain themselves on F2P because they aren't built around a community of people like MMOs are. The F2P transition threw away a massive number of the playerbase for a quick temporaty boost of players. I wish to remind people that most shards were on "Medium" population and a few were on "High" pre-F2P. Now we'll be very lucky if a single shard manages to peak a "Medium".
    this was by far their biggest blunder, trading in loyal players for a transient community. when you dont have to care about your character you get a lower quality player is also another issue this brings.

i dont see how having all the subs the game had was not profitable yet having lost at least 70 percent of a paying population of the game somehow is?

i mean its not but at this point how is this game not even shut down then?

so the game was obviously profitable just not enough for somebody who prob still has their job

At this point i would rather them add a vanilla server. Capitalize on the fact that people do want to go back for the nostalgia as wow has recently, even Daoc has a private server put up and has 3500 active players logged on right now.

Get rid of the cash shop for that version of the game, make it patron only to play on it and i know of many people who would come back to play just because it was so good back then.
    Harrisonford

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    If this was earlier Rift, shards would be shut down and player merged with other shards.
    This is kinda' what I mean. I feel that Rift needs 3 servers for the 3 play-styles and maybe something extra for the non-English speakers. Only in the future should expanding upon the 3-server-idea be entertained if the reboot actually revivifies Rift to the extend where it's needed.

Playing on a "Low" server and questing from 0 to mid 50s without encountering another soul in the world is downright depressive.

Default 'He's dead Jim'

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    Playing on a "Low" server and questing from 0 to mid 50s without encountering another soul in the world is downright depressive.
    exactly. I found it depressing as well. Hopped on the other night [around prime time] to run round to see how many were on & where on various shards...it very disheartening. All that came to mind was that famous quote...'He's dead Jim'

lots and lots of players? Its been established months back that what people are seeing are alts from the existing comminity. If lots and lots of ppl were here there would be income to support getting bugs fixed and pumping out more of the missing pieces of this rag-tag puzzle of a xpac that is SFP. Load balancing still contines to give the illusion of a playerbase, which is far better than the reality sobering view of how many players are not here. Hell existing players are even throwing up up farewells. More and more.

Thise who remain are still having to act like the xpac is still on the pts reporting problems with even newly released material.

I'd totally support a Rfit reboot and sub by a team with a vision if Rift but far better execution of all aspects of it.
    Last edited by Sails; 02-04-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    10.7.19 *Out of the daze. Into something new.* - Rift is too far gone.-

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lulutala View Post
    At this point i would rather them add a vanilla server. Capitalize on the fact that people do want to go back for the nostalgia as wow has recently, even Daoc has a private server put up and has 3500 active players logged on right now.

Get rid of the cash shop for that version of the game, make it patron only to play on it and i know of many people who would come back to play just because it was so good back then.
    A progression server would be cool, they did it for Everquest and it was really popular. I'm sure it would be over here as well.

Default <3-ing Rift

I can't see a vanilla server formally happening.
    Sure Blizzard have had this waved at them for some time, although many people have created their own vanilla servers... and there's thousands of players on them.

F2P wasn't a bad idea at all (I 100% agree with that). It's the delicate balance of what to offer in the Rift Store. I completely get the convenience of having everything for offer for credits - and to a large extent think this is a great thing. My issues (as expressed all over the forums) are:

* you can easily wait until bundles are available for credits for current content. Current content gear in my eyes should always be earned. As much as it's convenient to get gear with credits and play with your mates, there are many who can't/don't/won't do that.
    In my eyes, the issue here is that to earn your gear through grinding, you need to commit to it as much as having a full time job - you should never have to meaninglessly grind so much. I put that blame on the content providers for not having clear progression paths to earn your gear without senseless grinding.

* In my eyes (again) credits should only be for non competative items and never anything gear/weapon/recipe/mats related for current content - we want to actually play and progress through what has been released, not get to max everything after $300.

Just going to ramble a few points:
    * I think the current 1-> 65 F2P should award _NO_ currencies (except plat, gold, silver)... I personally believe it shouldn't exist at all with the current xpac, and... patron should be the way forward, but I also see the merit of "trial accounts" to be inclusive of those not wanting to buy anything, and be part of an awesome game - not a split/dual game as it is now.
    I know this will be difficult as the game has gone through many changes.

* I think all xpacs should be bought and with it include souls/classes/races.. none of this buy each step of what we release.

* Convert all old currencies (even from old events that seem to never happen again) to current currencies or plat (I still got a tonne of vanilla event currencies in my currency list). Even better, put a currency converter vendor in each capital: Meridian and Sanctum - make us go back there other than to have fashion week with our wardrobes

* I don't think the raiding community has given up for good. Yes I know some who have gone to other games for a while, and some.. for good, but there's plenty enough still around (they're just hard to find). I been toggling back and forth other games and am now back to Rift... And there's plenty enough to do for now... like win a Fortress Seige!

* As a note on the community, with many actual great players not as present as once was, it has left a lot of really rude, salty players in the game who do nothing but ruin what should be a fun experience for everyone. Seriously. I have come across players who think they are god but can't even handle trash and verbally abuse anyone and everyone in instances... People just quit randomly, tanks just randomly pull without explaining what their intent is, DPS is sometimes lower than where you think that character should be at with their gear.. People are acting like a L15 in WoW with hierloom items on... it's not the same game.

* Planar fragments... do we actually need so darn many of them? So many useless ones and so few useful ones... I'd rather there have been a faction to gain notoriety for and get an upgrade part for the meaningful drops you got in instances. I'd rather fewer good ones than having to mass recycle.. and 200 in Planar Inventory, knowing that you're going to easily overflow into your bags??? Not a very good design.

* Raiding, it doesn't feel competative, and feels like the community doesn't feel like being competative about it either.. It feels there's only 3 guilds racing eachother to reach that pinnacle of glory! Feels like a current content raid has to be able to be done and dusted (all of it) in one sitting by anyone and everyone who comes to it. This is total crap. What happenned to you need a week of 3x -> 4x raiding nights to get past some boss to figure out what you have to do, and you will be punished severely if all participants aren't taking note and performing? In last expansion, you could get through NM and some HM content with sub par members in the raid, and that was considered "normal" in the "PUG community" :/ which brings me to the next point

* There needs to be a decent reward for getting through the raid. something other than just a title, a minion card and a fluffy bunny companion! Something darn serious that says "you are one bad M-er F-er" !!
    I like how you are introducing LFR - it should always be entry level raiding where anyone who meets a bare minimum of the requirements can see that content. I believe this is what you are attempting. I think there should be no rewards that put you on par with people walking in and doing Normal Mode, and/or Hard Mode. There should be little to no progression from LFR, except fluffy bunny companions, minion cards, titles that are cute, warm and fuzzie. Not to sound like it needs to be over the top buggy.. err.. hard, but somehting that makes it feel like current content at "max gear", not a face roll at "max gear".

* I like the idea of what was mentioned above, regarding server consolidation.. however.. this seems more technically orientated that just what the eyes see... Servers need to be available to host instances.. maybe this is an architectural issue in how the world/gaming/instance servers interop. Also you don't want to see a list of 2-3 servers. you want to see many available, even with low pop... Why? Would you play a game that only had 2-3 servers, or a game that had more... irrespective of you you feel about Rift server pops atm - I somehow feel there's more RPers out there, going to some private oasis having bikini parties than we give credit for. I installed an addon that shows some RP info about a player (if they have it filled out), and to my suprise, there's a truck load of RPers hanging out in major hubs... I was actually suprised, and am now enticed to RP just to see where these people hide and shy away from the PvP, Raiding community!! Might find them in the thousands, and here we are complainint about rift store, raiding when we could be going to private bikini partes and getting hammered :/ !!

So yes, I think there's always room for getting things better, but we know we are playing a pretty awesome game as it is. Just fix Temple of Ananke crashing, and all will be good
    Healnut | Smexilicious | Smexinuts | Roastednuts | Deepnuts

General of Telara

Like others mentioned, the first step to this recovery is for the Devs to realize, SFP tanked. Not only did it not come complete and was/is bugged to hell, but people are leaving. Sharp population was already hurting, and to hit the loyal fanbase with "excuses" is downright demeaning.

I run the largest casual guild on Laethy's, with over 5000 members. Of course most of these members were from Vanilla, and a good portion of them were lost on Nightmare tide.

Now we see within a 24 hour realm about 10 members on. We get 1-2 new guildies every few days, but they normally don't come back after a week or so. Once again, we are incredibly casual, so there are no time demands and every comes and goes as they like.

Lots of my guildies were excited for SFP, but after hitting level cap 2 weeks later and have done all there is to do, many have left now as well.

I have stuck with it because I just do dimensions now and life support with the guild. Plus, its the one game my wife and play together. Rift has such damn potential, its frustrating. Wardrobes, soul specs, great zones, dimensions, good community.

How the devs let this slip through greed and ego, I'll never know. Can it be rebooted? Possibly if it went back to F2P, because I can't see anyone paying them for another expansion after SFP.
    Korvac the conquerer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast