+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Rift Reborn - a hard reboot

shp
    Champion

Like others mentioned, it's sad to see RIFT in current state. I accepted fate of this game long ago. With TRION it won't go anywhere, only downhill. And there's not much left until the bottom. MMO with such potential, especially PvP, with great mechanics and graphics only to be ruined with terrible decisions, one after another.

I wouldn't mind hard reboot or another studio taking over at this point.

Rift Disciple

It's depressing to say the least, a good chunk of my guild went to wow or don't even bother to log on anymore. At this point I don't see it getting better with out a major overhaul and it's going to take more than what the current team is able to do. I would love to see another company or team come in and make Rift great once again. It's just mind boggling that they're running it right into the ground.

Soulwalker

Default Found this in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Arold View Post
    The most amusing sections of the forum are the posts from apparent "returning players".

These posts all appear to overlook one BLATANTLY OBVIOUS concept.
    Returning to Rift is no longer a possibility.

Starfall Profiteering is NOT Rift.
    Rift is dead.
    It was murdered.

What is now available is hardly a consideration for any who would expect to return to a familiar source of entertainment.

So
    Although I agree with this I'd suggest that MURDERED is not the correct term.
    Murder implies a sudden demise. "Tortured to death" would be more representative of the way Rift has been destroyed. A prolonged, painful removal of the life force.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian View Post
    Although I agree with this I'd suggest that MURDERED is not the correct term.
    Murder implies a sudden demise. "Tortured to death" would be more representative of the way Rift has been destroyed. A prolonged, painful removal of the life force.
    I'm a fan of Monty Python so I'd prefer a gangrene analogy but I get what you mean.

lol ya blah blah blah ... add this thread to the other ton threads thinking they can fix everything. we can all give our opinions as to why the game is the way it is, but in the end that's all they are is OPINIONS. the state of the game has nothing to do with F2P community. as stated in other threads F2P players(most) and dimentioneers pay there fair portion of the game to. if they didn't then this tactic would not be repeatedly tried in other mmo's. look at SWTOR, they just very recently went somewhat F2P but up until they did, their number of players was not great either. the simple matter of the truth is that game is getting old and the community is changing. its not just this game, its all games. out with the old and in with the new. if you play any game long enough you will find something to complain about. there is a reason why some games remake their game with new graphic or new engine with new landscaping and added mechanics, it breaths new air to the game. that's what rift needs to do, the only ones that want rift to stay exactly the way it is, are the few that still play this game everyone else is moving on. rift needs to figure out where there moving to and put itself there ...
    -> for free Vox mount, get any toon in trove to level 20 ...
    -> other stuff -- https://www.freegamekeys.com/rift/
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
    lol ya blah blah blah ... add this thread to the other ton threads thinking they can fix everything. we can all give our opinions as to why the game is the way it is, but in the end that's all they are is OPINIONS.
    NO. sad attempt to rationalize here.. What has been expressed in the "other ton threads" are accurate observations. Just because YOU can't or won't see it does not mean that everyone else is wrong.

Rather than examine your entire post and point out each and every generalization or what are apparently YOUR opinions alone, perhaps it would be better simply to ask exactly what part of the community do you feel you represent?

I do think it's funny how people are all acting like the quality drop is a new thing. It wasn't SFP that started this, it was NT. The last time RIFT was truly great was 2014. The first signs of something being very wrong came after the 2.7 patch, when the new raid tier was made with reused environments and monsters, and BiS weapons were put in the store. It's been going downhill ever since.

Of course, about the reasons for all this, we can only speculate. Trion has, from what I've seen, not been very open about its development choices, financials and the state of the game in general. Perhaps they were forced to take the route they did, perhaps not. Either way, I think this was it for RIFT... it will never return to the level of activity and quality that it had in its launch year and during 2.3-2.6. There aren't enough players (and I think also not enough employees at Trion) left to support that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    I do think it's funny how people are all acting like the quality drop is a new thing. It wasn't SFP that started this, it was NT. The last time RIFT was truly great was 2014. The first signs of something being very wrong came after the 2.7 patch, when the new raid tier was made with reused environments and monsters, and BiS weapons were put in the store. It's been going downhill ever since.

Of course, about the reasons for all this, we can only speculate. Trion has, from what I've seen, not been very open about its development choices, financials and the state of the game in general. Perhaps they were forced to take the route they did, perhaps not. Either way, I think this was it for RIFT... it will never return to the level of activity and quality that it had in its launch year and during 2.3-2.6. There aren't enough players (and I think also not enough employees at Trion) left to support that anymore.
    In my opinion, it's different now than during NT. Now, I might have a slightly different view because I didn't focus on the game as much until NT, but NT felt like more of an expansion and with the majority of bugs, there was recognition and the desire to rectify the issues. The decline during NT was that of a "decent" company making poor decisions. Now, we've been exposed to what happens when the company makes poor decisions and not only doesn't rectify them, but also refuses to accept that they were poor decisions. The company has, as it seems, completely given up. They are truly pushing for the last bit of money until they hit the point where operating costs outweigh gross sales and revenue drops to zero.

That is why I posed my question for the livestream and the fact that it was manipulated into a question about bugs is extremely telling and overwhelmingly disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    [*]Free too play: "F2P isn't the death of a MMO game, but it's the death of a community." F2P is, and always will be, a mistake for community-driven games.
    The problem is not really the P2P vs B2P vs FTP, each one have his own advantages and disvantages, you could have games that switch to FTP (i'm thinking in Lotro) and still retains a wonderfull comunnity.

The problem is when the switch from PTP to FTP is made to increase the revenue by milking the players, and if you also add that you want to cut expenses in the development at the same time is like throw gasoline to extinguish a fire.

[*]Poor shard management: As time went by, it became clear that Rift didn't NEED as many shards as it had,
    I don't see it as a insuperable problem neither. I had the title "of icewatch" (or something like that) from the first server closings, and the current shard hop and weekly transfers makes that the server it's not really a problem.

[*]Pay to win: We can all delude ourselves into thinking that there is no technical P2W in Rift.
    At one time i dont think that it could be really used the p2w term on rift, the first thing slightly p2w was the planetwalker title and the earring, that was possible to get them by game currecy (with a medium-high grind) but we need to considerate that the whole expansion were free.

But i agree with you that the game slowly craw to a P2W in more subtle things, caches, event currency, charges refreshment, and specially a huge grind if no payments where made.

On the current rex to plat to cristal imp to power we have the pinnacle of P2W.

[*] The game should be subscription based. This ensures a lot more people are willing to try a lot more of the game before turning away, and will generate a lot more stable income.
    I think that this is your main flaw in the exposition.

The current state of the game have nothing to do with Ftp (well, Btp atm) or with Ptp.

I will explain my post with my case. I'm here just from the beggining (with small breaks due rl).

At the start i have a wonderfull game with a good amount of content, complex mechanics and instances, a free from soul system that allow and encourage hybrids and dificult instances that need player skill.

When Storm Legion launched you have a sizable amount of content, more or less polished and was still P2P but the population where already lower than on release, that's normal and should be expected as it happends on almost all MMOs relases.

Then a switch where made to Ftp, in theory to get more income from the game.

When Nightmare tide was launched as Ftp we have a severe decline in content quantity and also in quality. If in theory we have more income from the FTP why we get even less content?

You could justify NT saying "well it was free" and could get a point, i could want to get more content but could understand that if i want (i payed for it) i could get all the content for free.

But the things started to drift, each day more grind was needed for two reasons, less content that makes the grind needed and to force us to expend more on the shop.

At the same time that money where diverted out of the game (probably to cover the cost of other Trion games like Deviance that where really disasters) and no really new and good content where added to the game.

The dealbreaker for me was this expansion.

I purchased the expansion as i do with the previous ones. I was told that i would get less content but would be a high polished one, ok i think that with an expansion (and with a paying expansion) you need to give enought content to justify the cost, but i would live with that.

At the release, i found an expansion with:
    - Less than half the group content that the previos free expansion.
    - Not even half the content promised on release (that where already half of the content) working with the other half put out of commision or blocked.
    - The released content (1/4 at this point) was almost uterly broken with not even basic quality pass on it, the bugs rampant galore on all the content.
    - Without any dificulty at all
    - Not a single end game activity
    - An abortion of game mechanics designed to get money from the shop

At that point (2 days) after the expansion release i stop playing.

Why? because if i was asked to fork a premium price for an expansion i expect that the content that i get from it worth it and i only get half what i get from a free expansion that was free, and i was expected to still fork more money in the shop to avoid an aberrant grind.

And you really think that if some expect that i need to pay monthly to play this trash content i will do it?, I payed a full price for an expansion and feel cheated and any montly payment would be like more salt to the wound.

I still come here to check the status of the game to see if the problems of the expansion launch where solved and only to find that the situation is the same months after the launch, put an aditional cost to the game will not worth it.

To be positive what i would expect from the game at this point:
    - The come back from the old game design decisions, Hybrids, dificult instances, complex raids, etc...
    - Bring back and do not thow ot of the window old workign mechanics, Hunting rifts, Pvp Rifts, Conquest,... yes sure, you will need developers to make them work again, well hire them.
    - A crapton of polished quality content. The money from this game probably have funded several of other trion projects, it's time to get funds back from other games to fund the content that the game needs.
    - Drop all those crap mechanics imposed to the players to force them expend more money on the shop, in the really short term put them "free" (fragment improvement at 1/10 the cost) on the medium term just get rid of them.
    - HIre more damm developers, you have not enought manpower to even maintain basic thigs like class balance.

And do this without milking the few remaining players.

But thats the problem if trion just want to get the most possible money from the game while expecting to expend the less as posible we have zero changes that the game will rise again, we need just the opposite that trion makes a bet to expend in the short term more money on the game that they one they get (or at least invest the same money they get with the expansion).

Invest money -> Proved old design decisions -> Quality and quantity content -> Do not milk the players, that is the only road that dont run directly to the disaster in my opinion.

Sorry by the rant, but i come back to the forum to check if the game is at least partially fixed and the situations seems even more dramatic that months ago.

I would come back in a heartbeat with:

- new game or at least upgraded engine
    - balanced progression - no pushing to pay to speed ups, buying gear, etc.
    - a variety of content NOT extremely rng dependant

Look at how well ESO is doing and achieved in the past year. Rift is dead compared to it.

I miss the artifact system, pvp and exploring + puzzles. And the complex soul system allowing me to easily do all roles on a single fun character - so I do miss Rift, but this is not the game I used to love a while ago.
    Warlord Lonwolf, Lord of War - Rogue 65 @ Zaviel
    My Youtube RIFT Recorded Rare mobs collection - Rank1 EU Rare kills Leaderboards - Aug 2013

As I read comments in this thread I am realizing how good Trion used to be at this stuff. On another forum I frequent Trion was, back in the mid 2000s, declared as a "bro-tier developer" by an official poll. How the mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyish View Post
    Rather than examine your entire post and point out each and every generalization or what are apparently YOUR opinions alone, perhaps it would be better simply to ask exactly what part of the community do you feel you represent?
    you apparently did not look at it at all then cuz if you did then you would have read the last few lines of my post and knew what part of the community i am a part of, what i said was not that complicated. as well as the fact that I'm just tired of reading everyone's post on what they think rift should do with the game. actually some of the suggestions are actually sound pretty good yet others (like the F2P comment from OP) tries to solve a problem that did not exist in the first place, but we are only the end user of this game, it is so easy for any of us to convey what they feel about the games direction and what to do about it. while some of us have normal day jobs and others don't even have that, they are literally here all day long with no real life yet sit here say they have the most of the answers. personally I would love to see a "rift 2" game with fresh updated landscaping, updated quests, updated mechanics, new engine and pliability that keeps players in warfronts leveling from 15 to end game if they choose to and not doing the same intrepid over and over until your eyes bleed up to 65 then hit Warfronts, or even alternating days where one is shut down an the other is up unless you are 65 or higher. weather i agree with rift of not, i can only assume that their is a reason why they choose to do things the way they did seeing that they do this for a living all day long, as we do not ... *shrugs* maybe i just need a vacation ...
    -> for free Vox mount, get any toon in trove to level 20 ...
    -> other stuff -- https://www.freegamekeys.com/rift/
    >>>>>> Make Rift Great Again <<<<<<

Default Reboot

I'll start by saying, I came across this thread because I was looking for information on if anyone successfully started an emulated rift server yet.

I have not logged into the game since the company Announced F2P. This itself was a huge "**** you" to everyone who at the time paid for a year sub with the promise of a free expansion. Trion had said something on the forums about 89% of the game population had paid for that year sub. Which tells me Trion gave no **** about it's players and I called it quits.

I took part in 2 separate guilds that offered shard hopping for server first achievements. It was a fantastic game with a unique take on mmo's standards. The game offered a unique and exciting world where players could escape from the stress of their lives and relax and have fun whether they were playing for an hour or 10 hours.

It's I briefly, about 4 years ago, considered coming back to see how the game was doing. Read a few articles and learned about the changes being made with more expansions being released, and canceled my download before it was even half done.

I would absolutely come back to rift if it offered a server that had classic rift feel, no store whatsoever, got rid of the cheap gimmicks that were in the store, and had no expansions (for at least a year)

For me, it wasn't even the fact that they made the game free to play that was the issue. It was the huge slap in the face to the entire community that had already dedicated themselves to the company who turned their back on them.

It's not too late. This COULD be fixed. I know hundreds of people who would love to play on a classic rift server without all this updated gimmick crap thrown into it. But you'll have to forgive us if we reserve ourselves a bit because we know you won't listen to your players anyway. Former or still playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irodeyourmom View Post
    One does not simply Dance Dance Revolution into Mordor....

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Malificarr View Post
    This reminds me of the "keep the faith" posts by the Wildstar faithful during the post Steam launch when they were in heavy denial about numbers not being good.

It's ok for you to enjoy whatever you like but being in denial helps nobody.
    And the gloom-and-doom right through to hateful posts don't help anyone either. But they're out there in abundance.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Praxus View Post
    I'll start by saying, I came across this thread because I was looking for information on if anyone successfully started an emulated rift server yet.

I have not logged into the game since the company Announced F2P. This itself was a huge "**** you" to everyone who at the time paid for a year sub with the promise of a free expansion. Trion had said something on the forums about 89% of the game population had paid for that year sub. Which tells me Trion gave no **** about it's players and I called it quits.

I took part in 2 separate guilds that offered shard hopping for server first achievements. It was a fantastic game with a unique take on mmo's standards. The game offered a unique and exciting world where players could escape from the stress of their lives and relax and have fun whether they were playing for an hour or 10 hours.

It's I briefly, about 4 years ago, considered coming back to see how the game was doing. Read a few articles and learned about the changes being made with more expansions being released, and canceled my download before it was even half done.

I would absolutely come back to rift if it offered a server that had classic rift feel, no store whatsoever, got rid of the cheap gimmicks that were in the store, and had no expansions (for at least a year)

For me, it wasn't even the fact that they made the game free to play that was the issue. It was the huge slap in the face to the entire community that had already dedicated themselves to the company who turned their back on them.

It's not too late. This COULD be fixed. I know hundreds of people who would love to play on a classic rift server without all this updated gimmick crap thrown into it. But you'll have to forgive us if we reserve ourselves a bit because we know you won't listen to your players anyway. Former or still playing.
    Trust me its dead. They arnt going to get rid of the shop and they are not going to ever take into consideration there playerbase.

If they were going to they would have years ago, not demonstrated the same callouse attitude.

Im moving on. A lot of other people are to.

Can the last one left please turn the light out? im done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast