+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Video Configuration Presets

Default Video Configuration Presets

So I know this has been mentioned somewhere already but I can't seem to find it, so here it goes.

Can we have User Presets for our in-game video settings to switch between them in different situations? I know we can currently switch between video settings, but personally I'm always running customized settings instead of the presets we have, so every time I need to switch between different configurations I have to manually check/uncheck/customize almost every option in the Video Settings window. Now, for example, I only need two customized presets, one for building dimensions (would be customized ultra), and the other one for running raids and zone events (would be customized medium). I'm incredibly lazy and it would save me a ton of time if I could just save those two presets and then switch between them whenever I need to. It would be nice QoL feature for lazy people like me and everyone who needs different configurations for different activities including loading in TB.

As far as I know, it shouldn't be too much work to implement that (probably have the game have more than one config file and also make the Preset buttons in the settings interface), but obviously I could be wrong. What I'd like to know is, if it's relatively easy to implement, is there a chance we could have this feature any time soon?
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

This is not an in-game option but you could always edit the rift.cfg and save it as new copies that you can rename to rift.cfg when you need them.

First make a backup of rift.cfg itself. Then you'd first need to log into Rift to set your video settings properly for dimensions which saves it to default rift.cfg. Log out of Rift and then copy/paste the settings in rift.cfg into the appropriate file. Then do it a second time to create the video settings you'd need for raids.

rift-bak.cfg (original)
    rift-dim.cfg (your dimension)
    rift-raid.cfg (your raids)

Example:
    - Rename rift-dim to rift.cfg
    - When finished with it, rename it back to rift.dim
    - Rename rift-raid to rift.cfg

Code:
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\RIFT
    Last edited by Riane; 01-22-2017 at 09:59 AM.

I know I can play around with the config file, but it would be really nice to have this feature in game, for fast switching (not that it could actually happen but let's say I'm building in my dim, and then all of a sudden there's a raid invite - with a preset it'll take me couple seconds to switch the cofiguration and jump into the raid instead of actually adjusting all my settings back and forth).

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    I know I can play around with the config file, but it would be really nice to have this feature in game, for fast switching (not that it could actually happen but let's say I'm building in my dim, and then all of a sudden there's a raid invite - with a preset it'll take me couple seconds to switch the cofiguration and jump into the raid instead of actually adjusting all my settings back and forth).
    I'm not saying to not do your suggestion. It was just giving you an option for the interim.

Rift Chaser

Default Yes- I hate fiddling with my Video settings too..

Yep. I play in windowed mode because I have other things going on when I play Rift. I have to move from full-screen to windowed *every time*. I did not have to pre-SFP. I do not want to muck with the .cfg file - I just want to keep a setting that you click "apply" to. It is not troubling enough to put in a ticket for- but it is annoying. I also *hate* canned responses that assume that such glitches have something to do with my personal computer. Nothing wrong with my box- it plays other games, videos, and music just fine tyvm. I do not want to log in as admin, turn off a firewall or services, or do some other software gymnastics for a simple setting issue. It may not be game-breaking but if I de-install anything I may never re-install. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Andracleric View Post
    Yep. I play in windowed mode because I have other things going on when I play Rift. I have to move from full-screen to windowed *every time*. I did not have to pre-SFP. I do not want to muck with the .cfg file - I just want to keep a setting that you click "apply" to. It is not troubling enough to put in a ticket for- but it is annoying. I also *hate* canned responses that assume that such glitches have something to do with my personal computer. Nothing wrong with my box- it plays other games, videos, and music just fine tyvm. I do not want to log in as admin, turn off a firewall or services, or do some other software gymnastics for a simple setting issue. It may not be game-breaking but if I de-install anything I may never re-install. : )
    What's the actual problem? Is your setting (windowed fullscreen) not being saved whenever you load the Rift client fresh?

Right-click on rift.cfg and make sure it's not read-only.

Rift Chaser

Default Riane- I did explain the problem lol- but thanks

Riane- when I log in to Rift after being away for more than an hour or so- I get authenticated via Glyph (as usual) get to the splash page then have to fiddle with my video settings- which are set to full-screen not windowed. I save the settings- but it does not matter. Every time I log in after an absence the same thing occurs. This did not occur pre-SFP. It is annoying but not game breaking. Another annoying but not game breaking problem is that my camera spins me around in circles if I have another window open (email, facebook, the guild website, whatever). Logging off and back on again stops the spinning but I generally have to close other things that are running. Nothing wrong with my quad core, i7, GeForce 980, solid state and 2TB HDD computer running Windows 10 and several other games without issue.
    Last edited by Andracleric; 01-23-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Riane- when I log in to Rift after being away for more than an hour or so- I get authenticated via Glyph (as usual) get to the splash page then have to fiddle with my video settings- which are set to full-screen not windowed. I save the settings- but it does not matter.
    TL;DR Right-click on your rift.cfg and uncheck read-only if it is selected. This is the main reason settings in Rift will not save after you close out of the rift.exe client.

Rift Chaser

Default Clicking, unclicking, saving whatever in .cfg does not help- but thanks Riane

As noted- no change. As I said- it is a frustrating but not game- breaking thing. Nothing a reset will not fix. Just do not know why I have to do this post-SFP.

Clicking, unclicking, saving whatever in .cfg does not help- but thanks Riane

As noted- no change. As I said- it is a frustrating but not game- breaking thing. Nothing a reset will not fix. Just do not know why I have to do this post-SFP.
    You are not actually opening the rift.cfg file and editing it, then saving it. I should have elaborated when I said right-click on it. You're right-clicking on the icon so that you can access the menu to view properties for the file itself.

---------

- Navigate to the folder that has your rift.cfg file, this is found under /AppData/Roaming/RIFT.

- Right-click on rift.cfg and select "properties."

- Look for "Read-only" and make sure it is unchecked. Having it checked prevents the Rift client saving to it.
    Last edited by Riane; 01-23-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Rift Chaser

Default Nope- I did this already- and nothing...

Ok- look- *this is a problem with Rift*. I understand you are trying to help- but it is not working. It is OK- I am accustomed to logging on and off to clear the problem - but my original point remains. It is one more issue- while not serious- that is annoying. The attitude that *I* need to mitigate is also annoying. A better answer from the company would be: "This is a problem, we are working on it and a workaround would be x." I feel like I am in an abusive relationship with Rift, I get lied to, told I am crazy, try to talk it out, and get ignored for it.
    Last edited by Andracleric; 01-23-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Ok- look- *this is a problem with Rift*. I understand you are trying to help- but it is not working. It is OK- I am accustomed to logging on and off to clear the problem - but my original point remains. It is one more issue- while not serious- that is annoying. The attitude that *I* need to mitigate is also annoying.
    If it's not working, it's still something on your end. I've been playing Rift for 6 years and I never had an issue with my video settings not saving properly.

Anyway, gluck.

Ok- look- *this is a problem with Rift*. I understand you are trying to help- but it is not working. It is OK- I am accustomed to logging on and off to clear the problem - but my original point remains. It is one more issue- while not serious- that is annoying. The attitude that *I* need to mitigate is also annoying. A better answer from the company would be: "This is a problem, we are working on it and a workaround would be x." I feel like I am in an abusive relationship with Rift, I get lied to, told I am crazy, try to talk it out, and get ignored for it.
    Perhaps they don't know the workaround exactly because it's not technically an issue with the game?

One of the possible solutions for that could be, that maybe if your graphics card is set to 'best performance' that might be the reason why it's 'optimizing' the game every time (because apparently it sees it as an optimization). Whether or not it's the case, it's definitely worth checking in the card control panel - it might not even be something you did (probably not), but if it's the reason it can be fixed.

I never had this issue (so I can't really help here), but I did have certain issues with graphic card settings vs game video settings conflicts that messed up the game for me; took me some time to play around with both panels and worked once I figured out what's the issue. Either way, good luck!

Plane Touched

I think that you can specify a filename after /exportui and /importui. Does that solve your problem?
    Last edited by Bigguss; 01-23-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Rift Chaser

Default No I am not doing this lol

Look- I understand there might be something on my end-but again *this only started after SFP*. I have been playing Rift for 6 years too. I do *not* want to mess with this any more than other bugs or bug fixes. I said- several times- I do not think it is worth a trouble ticket- and I appreciate the offer of mitigation- but I find the overall dismissive attitude towards people with issues annoying. For what it is worth- I have had to bypass my antivirus twice now because rift.exe was quarantined. That does not give me warm fuzzies (older download screenshot- but you get the idea) I just think the game is unstable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Video Configuration Presets-screenshot-2-.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast