+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Can Rift be saved?

Rift Disciple

Default Can Rift be saved?

First the negative

As a subscriber and then patron since 2011 I feel sad and more than a little betrayed by the current state of the game.

The x-pack was released 6 months before it should have been. Even though the player base was dwindling before, it has been stabbed in heart now. If the x-pack had been released 2017 Jan/Feb, then at least 90% of the player base could have continued to progress and complete the level 65 content and new level 70 content would be on a feasible horizon.

Looking for the positive

Rift still has the base for some of the best MMORPG 20 man raid content in any game currently available. There is still a dedicated player base that is redoing old content for achievement and taking players that have never experienced all content through some amazing raids. Even with the added levels and insane raid dps some of the achievements require coordination and participation that is hard to find in other games. There are still new players and old coming back to game.

What is done can not be undone. So what can be done?

How much effort would it take to bump level 65 raid content up to level 70 and provide at least reduced rewards that would count towards current and future progression? I'm talking simple HP, resists and damage output.

Take advantage of the support and contributions from the dedicated community that loves and has been with Rift from the beginning. Reward those that are willing to spend time testing content before it is ready. Open up class and content development contributions to those that are interested.

Regards,

A Rift fan that is hurting,

Zzargo, Deepwood.
    Last edited by Zargo; 01-09-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Telaran

Yes it can be saved depending on the amount of content they will release at 4.1. We were duped into buying into SPE just before the holidays. Probably a cash grab before they go on vacation and just gave us filler content until they come back.

I am not saying what they did is good okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargo View Post
    Rift still has the base for some of the best MMORPG 20 man raid content in any game currently available.
    I agree here.
    Where i do NOT agree is that people take new players to old raids to show them how great they are. It is pure and simple achievement and skin leeching which could not be done by those people in the actual content.

The biggest problem Rift has is the player base that gets more and more unskilled. Imo this started with NTE and even got worse with SFP now.
    I see 99% of the rogues run around as Rangers and 99% of the warriors as 1 button reaver.
    If i go random to SFPE you hardly find people pulling over 200k dps.
    Either all of them are handicaped an only have 1 hand to play or they don t even bother to have a 4.0 spec.
    This lack of interest in the own class makes and not being able to follow the most simple raid mechanics makes raiding impossible.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Klingensturm View Post
    The biggest problem Rift has is the player base that gets more and more unskilled. Imo this started with NTE and even got worse with SFP now.
    I see 99% of the rogues run around as Rangers and 99% of the warriors as 1 button reaver.
    Either all of them are handicaped an only have 1 hand to play or they don t even bother to have a 4.0 spec.
    This lack of interest in the own class makes and not being able to follow the most simple raid mechanics makes raiding impossible.
    I have a different theory on this one (side note - unlike the author of this thread, I am having a great time playing RIFT so I do not see that it needs saving).

I have recently introduced a couple of friends to RIFT as their first MMO (it is my favorite MMO right now). What has been really interesting to me is to watch the difference in their game play once I setup the damage meter add-on for them. I have done this for three friends now. The process has been:
    1) Intro them to the game
    2) Wait a week for them to get hooked
    3) Introduce them to damage meter

For everyone of them - once they could visually see where they stood in group content, they started caring about optimizing their characters (something I love to do).

So - IMHO - if you want more people to care about whether they have a good character build you should figure out how to communicate to them where they stand relative to the rest of the group - without requiring that an add-on be installed.

Telaran

Upcoming things I am excited for -
    - New dungeon (rehash of Gyel but still something new that we can run through) No ETA
    - Next zone Hopefully coming in 4.1
    - Eternal Saga Questline Also hopefully coming in 4.1, can't wait to see all the skins
    - Fortress Sieges coming by the end of January, looks intense, needs some reworking and looks like a fun enough pass time, not sure about the rewards though (only low tier fragments from what I can see)
    - Queen's Foci - hopefully coming with fortress sieges, the new tech behind mechanics looks good, no issues about people not seeing mechanics, first boss has plenty of things to do but is still simple. Can't wait
    - Weeklies, hopefully provides good rewards.
    -Huge class reworking and stream - gonna be fun to see who develops all the classes and what goes through the minds of someone that needs to balance these specs. Good time to ask questions about primilist.

All in all, right now I'm not playing but am keeping a watchful eye for when content drops. I am hyped for most of it.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamindavid View Post
    I have a different theory on this one (side note - unlike the author of this thread, I am having a great time playing RIFT so I do not see that it needs saving).

I have recently introduced a couple of friends to RIFT as their first MMO (it is my favorite MMO right now). What has been really interesting to me is to watch the difference in their game play once I setup the damage meter add-on for them. I have done this for three friends now. The process has been:
    1) Intro them to the game
    2) Wait a week for them to get hooked
    3) Introduce them to damage meter

For everyone of them - once they could visually see where they stood in group content, they started caring about optimizing their characters (something I love to do).

So - IMHO - if you want more people to care about whether they have a good character build you should figure out how to communicate to them where they stand relative to the rest of the group - without requiring that an add-on be installed.
    And I think this is an interesting point that often goes overlooked by the veteran players. Many of the underperformers don't even realize just how much they're holding the group back by. They don't have damage meter addons installed, and if they don't have damage meters, they aren't gonna have kalerts, which are practically necessary for a bunch of specs nowadays (inb4 "bro, you don't need kalerts". Yeah, well the other 99% does)

I've said it before that making some of these "essential" addons actual UI elements within the game would be huge. Didn't WoW do that with a few addons? Been years since I've touched that one.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsmith View Post
    And I think this is an interesting point that often goes overlooked by the veteran players. Many of the underperformers don't even realize just how much they're holding the group back by. They don't have damage meter addons installed, and if they don't have damage meters, they aren't gonna have kalerts, which are practically necessary for a bunch of specs nowadays (inb4 "bro, you don't need kalerts". Yeah, well the other 99% does)

I've said it before that making some of these "essential" addons actual UI elements within the game would be huge. Didn't WoW do that with a few addons? Been years since I've touched that one.
    Total noob question, whats a kailert?
    As long as expansion packs and Essential Edition are in the Rift Store for cash only purchases and are bind on pickup or bind on account only, then the game will be pay to win. Once you can buy them with store credits or can place them on the AH then the game won't be pay to win.

As you can probably tell by my more recent posts, I have pretty much given up all hope on this game being fixed & issues resolved. Shame really, because as even Trion are aware, this really was a great game that I and many others have invested a large amount of time / effort into.

Before I get flamed for this / placed over a forum mods knee, let me just say this:

Do you get annoyed by stuff you don't care about? No. I'm more than certain a large majority of this ever shrinking community all feel the same about the current state of affairs.

Yes, markets change and development time needs to be invested into content that will keep the game alive. Though, currently it isn't.

We're all being passionate about the game RIFT used to be.
    Last edited by Zojah; 01-10-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Klingensturm View Post
    I agree here.
    Where i do NOT agree is that people take new players to old raids to show them how great they are. It is pure and simple achievement and skin leeching which could not be done by those people in the actual content.

Skill takes practice, someone needs to tell people like me, "hey dude you're doing it wrong, you should check out this or that spec." you know, we can't get better if we don't know what we're doing wrong.

There are low skilled people in every game, take ffxi, I know my way around that game inside out, when someone isn't doing enough damage you give them pointers so they can be better players because there is nothing more frustrating to a new player to any game like I am to this one, than to get crapped on by people because you don't heal enough, do enough damage, whatever, and you don't know why.

So if you see me out in the field and you see me screwing up, say something, tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it. All us nubs to games are like that, we all want to excel sometimes we just don't know what to do to do it.
    Last edited by Laraninni; 01-10-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    As long as expansion packs and Essential Edition are in the Rift Store for cash only purchases and are bind on pickup or bind on account only, then the game will be pay to win. Once you can buy them with store credits or can place them on the AH then the game won't be pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Laraninni View Post
    Total noob question, whats a kailert?
    KaruulAlert is an add-on that allows you to track buffs / debuffs. For specs which rely heavily on things like Damage Over Time abilities, or keeping certain debuffs up on the target, you can create customised icons showing whether the buff is up or not, how long it has until it drops off, and so on. These are is often referred to as kalerts.

This guide is old but gives you a rough idea...
    A Mini Guide To Setting up KaruulAlert

In the class guides section, you'll often find a section containing a large "wall of text" which, if imported, will contain all of the kalerts used to track things for that spec.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    KaruulAlert is an add-on that allows you to track buffs / debuffs. For specs which rely heavily on things like Damage Over Time abilities, or keeping certain debuffs up on the target, you can create customised icons showing whether the buff is up or not, how long it has until it drops off, and so on. These are is often referred to as kalerts.

This guide is old but gives you a rough idea...
    A Mini Guide To Setting up KaruulAlert

In the class guides section, you'll often find a section containing a large "wall of text" which, if imported, will contain all of the kalerts used to track things for that spec.
    Sweet thanks been wondering what that was about, heading to curse now.

I think we need to differentiate between temporary and non temporary issues.
    The issue with the lack of endgame will by fixed in the next month(s) with new raid content.
    The lack of player skill that is also mentioned in this thread is rather a permanent one. Also mentioned are addons and actually those two things are connected.

Usually if you play any kind of online game you get better over time til you hit your personal skill soft cap. The key for this to happen is that the game is intuitive. A strong sign for an online game not beeing intuitive, is if it relies heavily on third party addons.

There are MMOs out there that do and dont allow addons. If you do allow addons there is always a danger, that you build your encounters with those in mind. And then you have a rift (see what i did here) between addon users and non addon users. If you dont allow addons you are encouraged to give your encounters a clear visual language of whats going on. And if people know if they wipe, why they wiped, they will get better over time.
    Last edited by Ongar; 01-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laraninni View Post
    So if you see me out in the field and you see me screwing up, say something, tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it. All us nubs to games are like that, we all want to excel sometimes we just don't know what to do to do it.
    I can assure you, not all players want to excel. It used to be the case that when I saw a DPS under-performing in an expert dungeon I'd link the DPS meters and give them advice on how to improve, suggest a more appropriate spec and so on. I even used to offer to take them to my training dummies dimension and show them. Almost without exception what I'd get back would be abuse. So much so that it got to the point where I no longer bothered even offering the advice, I just accepted they were bad, put them on ignore (so they'd never be in my groups ever again) and moved on.

If Rift had built-in damage meters players would have no excuse for not knowing how far off the pace they were for DPS. I'm still regularly seeing DPS'ers in SPEs doing less DPS than I am as the tank on trash and even sometimes on bosses. Even then, if they could see that, some players just wouldn't care.

I can assure you, not all players want to excel. It used to be the case that when I saw a DPS under-performing in an expert dungeon I'd link the DPS meters and give them advice on how to improve, suggest a more appropriate spec and so on. I even used to offer to take them to my training dummies dimension and show them. Almost without exception what I'd get back would be abuse. So much so that it got to the point where I no longer bothered even offering the advice, I just accepted they were bad, put them on ignore (so they'd never be in my groups ever again) and moved on.

If Rift had built-in damage meters players would have no excuse for not knowing how far off the pace they were for DPS. I'm still regularly seeing DPS'ers in SPEs doing less DPS than I am as the tank on trash and even sometimes on bosses. Even then, if they could see that, some players just wouldn't care.
    Sadly this is so true.
    Last person i saw pulling 60k and linked the dmg parse in group the answer was : "**** noob i do double dps than with lvl 65 now.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Rift Chaser

Then I must be one of a dying breed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast