+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 4.0 Rift worth playing / returning? - Guide

Default 4.0 Rift worth playing / returning? - Guide

Introduction
    A good portion of the opening to this thread will be reiterated from the previous one which you can find over here: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ing-guide.html

Please keep in mind that this is for new players who have already decided they want to play or may be on the fence about it still. If you have useful information to contribute the please do so, but please refrain from debating or divulging into negativity. There are plenty of other threads that exist for that purpose already.

Free to play and Buy to Play
    As of June 28, 2017 the game has once again gone from Buy to Play back to Free to Play. All you have to do is log in and you will have access to the new zones and content with the exception of Souls and the Primalist calling (if you don't already have them) which are still separate purchases. I would suggest if you're a bit further behind in that regard to buy the Essential's Pack

Is RiFT pay to win?
    We'll go ahead and get this one out of the way right off the bat since it's always a point of contention for any free to play game. The short answer is no. Generally when people discuss pay to win in MMOs they're referring to whether or not you can buy something that's going to give you some kind of advantage in the game. Mainly in regard to being able to buy full sets of gear or “Best in Slot” vs someone who doesn't and can't spend real money. There are things that do walk that fine line, but there is technically nothing that is best in slot that can be purchased through with real money. Previous Raid sets used to be put up on the store once a new Tier came out, but with the gear changes made in Prophecy of Ahnket I don't really see that even being a thing anymore. Pretty much everything you can buy on the store is there for convenience purposes like Patron, Notoriety/Currency Boosts ect.

Storm Legion brought what brought the introduction of the in game store and Credits / REX (Rift Exchange0 along with it. You purchase credit packs with real money to buy things on the store, but there are some DLC packs that have direct money purchases on them. REX is an item that can be consumed which gives you 1,250 credits. Players can use these to create their own economies on each server so the prices will vary from seller to seller. Players also buy large credit packs to gift people items and patron time for those that would rather farm platinum in game and buy things off of the store that way. I personally know a few people who have never spent a real dime on the game and have patron and and still buy things off of the store. It's a bit more work, but possible if you truly want to play for free.

Any money you do decide to spend on the game should be thought of as you donating and funding development. Don't be surprised with things like lockboxes or incentives to get you to try and buy things. You should expect that going into any free to play game, but RIFT definitely has one of the better systems out there. My own opinion of course.

Is RIFT worth playing / returning to?

No one person can answer this question for you because the opinions will vary pretty significantly from person to person. It all boils down to what you want to do with your time in the game as the are a multitude of activities which is one of the great things about RIFT.

If you're more casual with gaming then you can look into Dimensions, artifact/achievement hunting, PvPing, questing, lore, chronicles, wardrobing. Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Now I only mentioned PvP in there because generally speaking you can commit yourself to it on your own time and there aren't any set schedules or big grinds to do to get into it like there is with raiding. Please don't take offense PvPers!

That being said, if you complain that you're bored and only limit yourself to one thing in game then that's on you, but even if you do all of the above and still get bored, then find something else to play in the meantime. Developing new content doesn't happen in a day or even in weeks so there will be dry periods. Even the developers play other games.

New to RIFT?
    If you're brand new to the game and have already decided to at least try it and and give it a try then be sure to check out The Dawn of Adeventure: A New Player's Guide to Rift by the people over at Gaiscioch.

What are the changes between Nightmare Tide and Starfall Prophecy?

To cut some of the work out, I'm going to post the link to a mini guide I made on my guild site a while back. The changes listed may have slightly changed themselves since the post, but are for the most part still relevant as general information. https://valkyriandescent.enjin.com/f...934#p124744934

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Content Overview

Raids
    If you're reading this by the time 4.2 has hit then there should now be three raids out. The LFR or easy mode version of Tartaric Depths which is your introduction to raiding for first timers and for people gearing up. Then comes Normal Mode Tartaric Depths and Rise of the Phoenix which are both considered Tier 1. You can use the LFR UI to join a random easy mode TD or you can form your own premade.

Expert Dungeons
    (New) Tuath'de Coven
    (New) Templest of Ananke
    Intrepid: Darkening Deeps
    Intrepid: Gyel Fortress

These tuning goal of these dungeons was to put them on a middle ground. If you take in a group of new players and or players who generally aren't that competent and or don't know their classes that well, then these are going to be very difficult to do. If you take in a good/competent group then chances are they will be overly easy. It sucks for the good/competent group as it's not very challenging, but this method still allows others to at least complete it.

Fortress Sieges
    Cracking the Skull and Queen's Foci Guide (If you want to direct me to a better guide then by all means. This is just a quick placeholder)
    Note: There will be another fortress Siege coming to Ashenfell in the future.

Eternal Items
    Eternal Items and Saga Quest

What kind of classes exist and what changes have been made if I am just coming back to the game?

In an ideal world I would just post all of the specific changes here, but you should put in a little work by clicking some of the links below. Always check when threads / guides were last edited to see if they're up to date. As an important note: People like to keep certain builds and specs a secret out of fear that they'll eventually be nerfed. Class balance is always ongoing despite what people think and there are some balance changes coming really soon to bring all classes down to the same level of DPS. Healing changes will be looked at after that as well.

Warrior Guides
    Warrior Discussions

Mage Guides
    Mage Discussions

Cleric Guides
    Cleric Discussions

Rogue Guides
    Rogue Discussions

Primalist Guides
    Primalist Discussions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grinding and Gearing

What do I need to do and where do I need to go in order to catch up?

This section shouldn't really matter if you're just starting out or just coming back, but if you do plan on raiding then you'll likely want to catch up on current Tier content which is what this section will be about. Getting into a new Tier means getting the required hit for it and investing into fragments and essences. Everything outside of that will depend on how well your learn your class specs and most importantly, rotations.
    The first thing you're going to want to work on is your Eternal weapon. Raids will no longer drop weapons since most people have been keeping up on the eternals. It has been stated that when a new tier drops that weapons for the previous tier will be added to the store which can be purchased with Ethereal Shards. You want to do the eternal first because you will hit a state when you get to the wicket minion portion of it which requires you to level it to 25 before you can move on. The minion only starts off with 5 Stamina or so which means you have to use 1 minute missions until you get to level 10 and then send it on 4 hour missions for more/faster exp. IF you're on top of it with rushing and resets then it's still going take you a minimum of 2 weeks to hit cap.

While on Wicket
    You'll have time to kill while on wicket so this is the time where you start doing everything else. You can pick up 250 Hit pieces form the auction house. You need 2000 hit to get into Experts and LFR Tataric Depths, but you probably won't do very well in there while in greens unless you're being carried which is always a possibility. If you're starting fresh and don't know anyone to carry you through the LFR then it's better that you jump into Planar Assaults. These will drop creates for every IA completion which have a chance to drop random fragments and green quality 250 hit pieces. You also need to farm this for Notoriety with Planar Defense Force and Mages of Alittu to a lesser extent (better off doing open world rifts for more Alittu rep) so you're knocking our 3 birds with one stone.

Perplexing Puzzles – Alternatively every Zone has puzzles that upon completion will give you gear with level 65-70 gear. Check out the Guide from forbiddenlake Perplexing Puzzle Pieces achievement complete guide

Gear and Tower Fragment Grind
    (Note: This is from pre 4.1 and 4.2, but I'm leaving it anyway) We're currently at a point in game where you can easily skip a lot of the expert grind until you actually have to do it for the eternal quest.Once and if you decide to jump into experts there's going to be a few things you'll want to aim for. There are only 3 epic pieces of gear that drop and they are also the only pieces that are tied to specific dungeons from the last boss in each one accordingly. All other loot is shared between all 3 dungeons.

Darkening DeepsEpic Shoulders
    Tuath'de CovenEpic Legs
    Temple of AhnankeEpic Chest
    Gyel FortressEpic Helm

When it comes to running dungeons, the random charges still work the same way they always have. You'll get Tower Fragments (Blue Icon) and Celestial Remnants (Pink) which are the new dungeon marks and Void stones accordingly.

In addition to that, you also get individual rewards. Dungeons are all personal loot now so whenever you kill a boss, you will get tower fragments and 2 random Planar Fragments. If you lock yourself to the dungeon for the day and go back into it again, you will see this window pop up.

This means you can choose to use the reward to gain more tower fragments for that boss as well as another fragment. If you don't use the charge, then the boss will only give you one fragment and still a random chance at gear, but no tower fragments or a second planar fragment. You will gain 2 new charges as a non patron every Wednesday (Reset day) and 10 if you are a patron.

Note: Individual Reward Charges stack up to 100. You'll want to start burning them if you hit that cap

Individual Rewards in Raids Siege Bosses
    The IR charges work the same way as dungeons as far as when the window to select whether or not you want to use them pop up, but the amount for the bosses are different. The amounts vary as listed below

Queen's Foci Boss
    2 charges, but can also be farmed as many times as you can/want within the time limit that the boss is up for.

LFR Tartaric Depths
    Boss 1 - 2 Charges
    Boss 2 - 2 Charges
    Boss 3 - 3 Charges
    Boss 4 - 3 Charges

Intrepid Rise of the Phoenix + Normal Mode Tartaric Depths
    Normal Raids still use the old looting systems and lockouts form previous expansions. It remains to be seen if we'll ever move over to personal loot for those as well, but that's the way it is for now.

3 Mini bosses - 5 charges each.

Mini Bosses don't have lockouts and will respawn when you reset the instance even if you have already cleared the instance. If you're locked to either raid with your guild or a pug then you have to use that raids lockout in order to farm the mini bosses. Outside of that though no on will get locked for killing mini bosses.

Bonuses
    Note: The 10% and 15% loyalty maps do NOT stack with each other. When you move up in loyalty you will start with the 10% Map and it will simply increase to 15% when you get the new one. The Silver Tier 5% map stacks with anyone in your raid and stack with any loyalty maps and any other % bonuses you have on. Patron bonus totals are in white. Keep in mind that all of the totals and numbers you see on the spreadsheet are the base amount. I made the list assuming people don't have loyalty or patron which is why I provided the % bonuses which you can add up yourself. Here is a percentage calculator if you're lazy like me http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math...calculator.htm

The Random Dungeons listed are what you get from doing them each day. It does not take into consideration the amount of individual reward charges you personally use while grinding dungeons so you'll have to calculate those yourself.

Noteriety and Spending Fragments/Remnants
    There are 6 new reputations in Starfall Prophecy. It's important that you complete the story quest in each zone to unlock the chronicle which not only gives you a decent amount of plat, but also gives you extra rep on top of the other dailies and onslaughts.

Feilbocan- Scatheran Forest
    Saint Taranis - Gedlo Badlands
    Bailghol - Xarthmire
    Thedeor's Spear - Ashenfell
    Planar Defense Force - Planar Assaults (AI) with a daily in Alittu on the 2nd floor in the main building.
    Mages of Alittu - Planar Assaults, Onslaughts and Crafting Dailies. If you have all of the tradeskills maxed out then you'll hit revered very fast on top of farming the first 2 options.

There's also a Noteriety vendor you can turn in marks to to help boost a specific rep as well.

Each tier of noteriety will give you access to a Fragment Coffer which you can find under the store - Equipment - Fragments. The coffers will give a random chance at getting fragments with higher tiers on them for better stats. You're going to want certain ones depending on your class to itemize your fragment stats as well as you can.

After grabbing enough Marks of Prophecy to upgrade your epic pieces, then you should be spending your tower fragments on on boxes to itemize your fragments. It's not worth using them to buy dungeon gear right away as you'll have more than enough time to get the pieces you need from dungeons still and even if you don't have 1-2 pieces by the time you get your reps maxed out then you'll have more than enough marks saved up for both anyway.

Greater and Lesser Essences
    There's a few ways to get essences and each of those options will drop essences with RNG stats. You of course want to aim for the best in slot ones and the ones with the highest base main stat roll.

Ashenfell Major Rifts (505 Main Stat) - These will drop green quality essences which are going to be very decent until you're able to get better.

Queen's Foci
    Lesser (520 Main Stat) - Final Upgrade is 549 main stat.
    Greater (550 Main Stat) - Final Upgrade is 592 main stat.

Check for you class BIS lists to look at which ones to aim for.

Planar Fragment Guides
    In Depth Guide from Ghar Station
    Give the guide a read first just to get a general understanding how fragments work. Keep in mind that Brasse has stated revamps on the system are in the works and will be coming out over the next several months. The details of these changes are still unknown as of 7/3/2017.

Planar Fragment Best in Slot List - To select your own class and role, just make a copy under file at the top. Once you do that it will let you select by class under the appropriate tab.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 07-05-2017 at 01:26 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Before we get started on the stat priorities and runes it's important to go over a few things. Runes and your weapons will always be the biggest Dps boosts compared to gear, but knowing your specs and rotations is far more important and a far bigger gain than even that.

Correct Specs > Rotations > Gear

A lot of people come into Rift from WoW and while there are a lot of similarities, they hit a brick wall when it comes to the learning curve in Rift. There are a multitude of different specs to use for different fights and situations and a far bigger amount of abilities and skills in comparison. It's extremely important that you research your class well and practice the rotations. There's a lot of addons to help with this which i'll list at the bottom of this section. As a guild and raid leader myself I can speak from experience that being flexible is really important and an asset to any raiding guild. Being extremely good at one role is great, but being great at only one spec is not. Warrior Example: If you declare that you're main role is DPS and can play the specs that are usually required for raids – Reaver (cleave range), Tempest (ST burst range), Riftblade (Melee Cleave) and Paragon (ST melee) ect then that's great as long as you can play them all at a decent skill level. What's not great is declaring main role dps and only being able to play reaver. There are different degrees of flexibility for each role and the more you know, the better off you'll be when raiding.

On a last note there's no such thing as “i'm using my own spec” when it comes to raiding. There are people on these forums who for the most part are much better at theory crafting than you (and better than me of course) who have already put in a lot of work to make up to date guides for everyone. If you build a spec, put it through the class forums first before you bring it to a raid or there's a high chance you'll just be dead weight.

Stat Priorities

The easiest explanation is that Stacking Crit Power when / where you can get it is always a good bet. The planar fragment weights will vary in that department though. Just as a general rule it's usually:

DPS - Crit Power > Attack / Spell Power > Main Stat > Endurance
    TANK - Endurance / Max Health > Guard > Everything else.

Suffixed Stats
    Upon the release of Intrepid Rise of the Phoenix there was several new suffixed gear added with varying stats. Below you will find a list of which gear is best in slot for each of the 2 main roles.

Overlord = BIS for Dps/Healing
    Preserver = BIS for Tanking
    Everything else is somewhere in between and then the vendor gear is smack dab in the middle of it all. If you do a little bit of everything then my suggestion would be to just pick up the vendor gear. Especially if you're not into min/maxing.

Overall this contradicts the gear unification that they were originally going for and seems more like something tacked on to keep people busy while new content is being worked on. That's not something I can blame them for as there will always some people will churn through content really fast regardless of how much they add in, but this suffixed gear really needs to go. That is of course my own opinion, but one that many probably share.

Runes

Feel free to let me know if there's any I missed. You'll notice that there aren't a lot of runes this time around so the same ones will be used between several of the same classes. There's also only one Tanking Run which I'll list at the very bottom. I left the Weapon Proc Rune for 1handers blank since I couldn't put the screenshot in the spreadsheet and instead wanted to list it separately.

The "Proc" is the same for all of the weapons with the addition of a stat on the 2-Handed verions.

Visionary - 13,500 to 16,500 ethereal damage, 15,000 healing or 54,450 shielding.
    Prophetic - 18,000 to 22,000 ethereal damage, 20,000 healing or 60,000 shielding.
    Thanks to Meteorblade for the info!

Warrior

Cleric

Mage

Rogue / Primalist

Addons
    KaruulAlert - http://mods.curse.com/addons/rift/karuulalert
    King Boss Mods - Looking for the most up to date version first.
    RaidCoolDowns - http://mods.curse.com/addons/rift/raidcooldowns
    Riftmeter - http://mods.curse.com/addons/rift/rift-meter
    ACT (Advanced Combat Tracker - http://advancedcombattracker.com/ (Get this if you want the most accurate)
    I believe there are also alternatives to most of these that you can use if you prefer not to use these specific ones.

4.2 Celestial Storm: July 19

Click the link to check out the content coming. I'll add / edit this into my post once it's out and I've gone through it myself. If I missed anything, made any mistakes then please feel free to point them out so I can go back and edit as needed. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 07-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

I'm also saving some extra reply boxes to extend it or divide specific pieces of information so it's easier for people to look through. I have a text document that i'm working from along with the old guide still stickieed on the forums. I try to type it up first to avoid typos and what not even though I still make them ;)

At the time of this post I am working on making updated Rune Spreadsheets as well as taking several screenshots for various parts of the guide just as I did before. It's a lot of work doing this and I don't get anything out of it, but I enjoy playing the game and want others to enjoy it as well while being able to give useful information out.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 01-06-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Sword of Telara

People have their own definition of pay to win and it is a gray area for most people.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Aedynn View Post
    People have their own definition of pay to win and it is a gray area for most people.
    Indeed. A bit further towards an extreme, many would not find this scenario persuasive:

"Soon you will gear up the quickest by spamming LFR and buying loads of individual reward charges with credits. But that cannot possibly be pay to win because REX exists.
    You might wonder about the feasibility of grinding thousands upon thousands of plat to keep buying credits. To which I say: REX exists."
    Last edited by archcomponent; 01-06-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Updated Runes added.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    The "Proc" is the same for all of the weapons with the addition of a stat on the 2-Handed verions.
    Whilst the text descriptions on the Visionary and Prophetic levels of the proc'ing runes are indeed the same, the values of their procs are not the same. The reason for this is that on release, the visionary proc runes had incorrectly been granting the values of the prophetic proc runes. After Tacitus confirmed this was incorrect here it was corrected in Hotfix 5.

The proc values are...

Visionary - 13,500 to 16,500 ethereal damage, 15,000 healing or 54,450 shielding.
    Prophetic - 18,000 to 22,000 ethereal damage, 20,000 healing or 60,000 shielding.
    Last edited by Meteorblade; 01-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.

King Boss Mods - Looking for the most up to date version first.
    Don't hold your breath...
    https://rift.curseforge.com/projects...olinator/files

The last non-alpha release of KBM was way back in December 2015. There were a few alpha releases last summer but nothing since. The same guy also wrote the Quest Finder add-on, and that hasn't been updated for SFP either.

Added to the post. Much appreciated.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    Don't hold your breath...
    https://rift.curseforge.com/projects...olinator/files

The last non-alpha release of KBM was way back in December 2015. There were a few alpha releases last summer but nothing since. The same guy also wrote the Quest Finder add-on, and that hasn't been updated for SFP either.
    Yeah I know some people had updated ones for the some of the raids in Nightmare Tide, but I couldn't remember where they got it from. I won't hold my breath like you said, but in the super off chance that someone does find an updated one later down the road then i'll add it lol
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 01-07-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Mages of Alittu - Onslaughts and Crafting Dailies as well as some from Planar Assaults, but very little.
    As of Hotfix 7 the amount of Mages of Alittu reputation gained in the Planar Instant Adventures was markedly increased. Prior to this patch only completing a rift granted the rep. After the patch you receive rep for every completed stage of the rift. This means roughly a five-fold increase of Mages of Alittu rep gained per rift compared to prior to this patch.

Doing lots of Planar IAs is now a very effective method of faming both Mages and PDF rep.

Took out the "very little" part and re-edited it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by archcomponent View Post
    Indeed. A bit further towards an extreme, many would not find this scenario persuasive:

"Soon you will gear up the quickest by spamming LFR and buying loads of individual reward charges with credits. But that cannot possibly be pay to win because REX exists.
    You might wonder about the feasibility of grinding thousands upon thousands of plat to keep buying credits. To which I say: REX exists."
    So is SPF available thru Rex yet? If not, any ETA?

People who purchased a $100 credit pack (which was actually a whole lot of people) got a free copy of the standard edition which they could place on the auction house for others to buy. I believe this was mainly done to test the waters over the holidays so they're looking into it as an option for the people who saved in credits in advance prior to its release. You might be able to find some floating around between the different servers or you can ask around on the forums. Until they bring it back or something similar, you can still buy it via a credit seller which is what a alot of people were doing prior to that.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Observers View Post
    So is SPF available thru Rex yet? If not, any ETA?
    Not right now, hopefully someday Trion wises up but there might still be a few on the AH left over from the Christmas sale

Quote Originally Posted by Aedynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by archcomponent View Post

I just find it amusing how important he felt it was to open with defending that. The fact that it was the first thing he defended said a lot more than his words did.
    "Why, that was a marvelous suggestion that will transform life in Telara. We will get right to implementing that. Now that you pointed it out, it's pretty obvious. Don't we look stupid!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast