+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 4.0 Rift worth playing / returning? - Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthuss View Post
    i didnt realize fragments were as big of a boost as they were, but yeah it essentially puts you a "tier" ahead (even though there is no tier)
    I would say it is a heck of a lot more than a tier, especially when considering by far the largest boost to stats comes from the infusion level 14-->15 upgrade. The difference between a level 6 or 9 and a level 15 fragment is very large.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

I don't know about other classes, but I recall Syntrachios telling me that the difference is about 15% with his fully geared and almost all lvl 15 relic fragment Primalist vs his sister's equally geared (minus the good frags) primalist in terms of DPS. You have to keep in mind that difference will never be any higher or or lower unless they were to release a new tier of fragments which I would assume wouldn't be for a very long time. He maxed out his reps and bought tons of crates early and to this day has only maybe picked up 2-3 Tier 1 fragments from them so they're arguably not even worth buying with tower frags or credits.

The underlying issue with frags at the moment is how expensive they are to level up even if it is a long term investment.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 02-13-2017 at 08:59 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

You said it yourself HR12... he didn't have the best frags necessarily and already it was 15% difference (compared to what? Zero infusion? 6? 9?). So it is likely that the variance is higher than 15%. A low drop rate of getting something useful never stopped Rifters buying crates (mounts anyone?) Trion knows this and therefore doubled down with Frag RNG. They have even defended the state of RNG, claiming it was good, or at least not bad. Many, many players beg to differ.

I'd happily, and I have said this several times, pay 5-10k tower frags (or more) to get a fragment that is worth upgrading, but the current RNG is horrendous by any measure. For some reason, this very reasonable suggestion (IMO) keeps falling on deaf ears. I would guess that is because Trion knows they will get people to keep spending in the hope of pulling that wionning lotto ticket. The system is a massive turn off for me and is P2W, no ifs no buts.

PS> The devs did imply a new tier of fragments in a livestream or somesuch. I clearly remember that and thinking to myself... as if spending 15k plus plat just upgrading the current slots wasn't bad enough...
    Last edited by Linolea; 02-13-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    ...but the current RNG is horrendous by any measure. For some reason, this very reasonable suggestion (IMO) keeps falling on deaf ears...
    I have two copies of SFP that I bought with plat during christmas, so I could continue to play the game for free. The PF system is one of the reasons I have not touched them yet. RNG already plagued this game in NT, and I cannot see how RNGł can solve any of the long standing issues this game has.

That even none of the forum posters that are not known for an overly critical position had anything good to say about the PF system, says a lot about it. In fact the best I ever read about PF was something along the lines of "looks promising, but I have not had a closer look". I gues that as soon as they take a closer look, the system stops to look promising

Default Thank You

Thank you for the information in the opening post. I recently came back to Rift after a long hiatus and am finding my way around quite slowly. Having all that information in one post is quite helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to sum it all up.

Updated the Content Overview part of the guide and added in 2 separate guides for Fortress sieges / Cracking the skull and Eternal Items. I know there's extra screenshots for armor pieces, but the quality is quite low so I'll update the guide with better ones in the future.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Rift Master

Found this thread to be quite helpful, thanks!

I used to raid back in the latter days of Storm Legion and petered off after reaching 65. Never finished the Tarken Glacier content, as I switched to playing EVE instead. I don't have a Primalist and still don't know why I should, hah

Came back here, after an Eve friend expressed interest in playing with me, to see what the differences are compared to when I quit and wow, on first glance, everything is so confusing. I guess that's what happens when you don't play for two years and Trion changes all the rules?

Not pleased to see it's even worse at p2w than it used to be. I'm not upset at the buy-to-play aspect, because it looks like I'll just have to pay the SFP standard edition to just get in the door, and it does make things easier than having to buy mounts and/or buy souls and/or buy equipment etcetcetc,; but it does look like that there may not be any point in my buying the Starfall Prophecy expansion since I'm not willing to spend cash outside the standard content pack, and it appears you'd need to spend $$$ just to do expert dungeons?!

Also slightly hurt that Trion never mailed me any special deals to entice me back to playing. I guess the survey I filled out lambasting their nickel-and-diming methods put me on their naughty list, or something.

Either way, I'm probably going to play again, if only casually. I'm assuming there's an uptodate guide on plat grinding? I have no idea where to start on grinding my plat again; I used to harvest leather, elm logs, and artifacts in the Dendrome for plat, if that gives you any idea how I remember doing it... I"m sure there's new hotspots now.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post

I used to raid back in the latter days of Storm Legion and petered off after reaching 65. Never finished the Tarken Glacier content, as I switched to playing EVE instead. I don't have a Primalist and still don't know why I should, hah

Came back here, after an Eve friend expressed interest in playing with me, to see what the differences are compared to when I quit and wow, on first glance, everything is so confusing. I guess that's what happens when you don't play for two years and Trion changes all the rules?

Not pleased to see it's even worse at p2w than it used to be. I'm not upset at the buy-to-play aspect, because it looks like I'll just have to pay the SFP standard edition to just get in the door, and it does make things easier than having to buy mounts and/or buy souls and/or buy equipment etcetcetc,; but it does look like that there may not be any point in my buying the Starfall Prophecy expansion since I'm not willing to spend cash outside the standard content pack, and it appears you'd need to spend $$$ just to do expert dungeons?!

Also slightly hurt that Trion never mailed me any special deals to entice me back to playing. I guess the survey I filled out lambasting their nickel-and-diming methods put me on their naughty list, or something.

Either way, I'm probably going to play again, if only casually. I'm assuming there's an uptodate guide on plat grinding? I have no idea where to start on grinding my plat again; I used to harvest leather, elm logs, and artifacts in the Dendrome for plat, if that gives you any idea how I remember doing it... I"m sure there's new hotspots now.
    Actually, other than the standard edition SFP, there is no need to buy anything in order to access all content and all gear/slots. Also, now that there isn't any content where your dps/hps matters, there is no reason to feel like you "need" to buy the newest soul packs to be more optimized.

You can literally do/see/play everything the expansion has to offer for the price of the standard edition.
    Brazill@deepwwod

Champion

There isn't really a way to grind plat anymore. They nerfed the plat from vanilla raids into oblivion. The best plat returns are from daily chronicles, which take anywhere from 10-15 minutes each and give about 30-35 plat on average. You need to have completed each zone's questline to unlock its daily chronicle.

Supposedly you can still make decent plat from speedrunning the older chronicles, though they've been messing with those in all sorts of ways and I don't really bother to keep up with the changes. Either way, you need a partner and its old content on repeat.

In terms of mat farming, there might be a market for atramentium and faecap, but now that crafting rifts are out, I imagine demand for those will die down accordingly. Basically, all the players who went into SFP with tens of thousands of plat still have tens of thousands of plat, and everyone else is broke (assuming they care about fragments at all).

You're welcome

you'd need to spend $$$ just to do expert dungeons?!
    You can spend credits on on individual rewards for dungeons which is recent as of last week, but you don't need to spend money on anything and you'll find that the majority of people won't. As I've said before, anything you actually do spend on the game is a matter of showing and giving it support.

Quite a few people got free primalist packs ($40 dollar value) including a few people in my guild that got them to come back even if they didn't care much for the new calling itself. I don't know what the criteria was for those incentives were, but they do indeed send them out to people. I'm sorry you missed out.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 04-05-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Soulwalker

So i decided to return and try Rift after AA fail in to a second job and p2w. Now im seeing here this thread. Its not worth? When i left there was no p2w at all. Does Trion ruin there his own games? But i guess if im planing to craft / achievement and some fun farming this p2w dont affect my game play? Ty for info.

Rift Master

Ah so you can get away with just grinding away for gear. Cool.

I've had a bit of gameplay time and figured out that I left the game before my tank and dps specs were both geared enough for NT experts, so I suppose I've got a ways to go still. I'm not worrying about it yet, as I've been working with a friend who's brand new to the game to help him get started, we've not left Freemarch yet, so I've got time to decide what all to buy. I sort of miss my patron benefits, but as I'm paying subs for Eve I'm not going to be sinking money into Rift just yet.

I never was the type of player to have "lots and lots of plat" but I usually had enough to buy what I needed.

So one thing I haven't figured out: did Trion remove some of the crafting materials or streamline crafting? I found a bunch of grey items that I remember used to be purple or blue (like attainium crystals) I sold em off but did I scroll past the crafting guide that explains the changes between NT and SFP? ;)
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Thanks for putting this together. As an old player thinking about coming back I had a lot of questions on all this new stuff I was seeing and how to catch up on content.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Eliatron View Post
    skimmed through.

game is still pay to not waste your entire life.

thanks for the info people.

bye!
    Sadly I think you are correct. I was thinking of returning, but this is obviously not the Rift I loved when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    Sadly I think you are correct. I was thinking of returning, but this is obviously not the Rift I loved when it came out.
    That Rift vanished years ago...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast