+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Let's talk: 'Load Balancing'

Default Let's talk: 'Load Balancing'

Well, load balancing seems to be one of the hot topics at the moment. I'm going to try my best to attempt explaining what load balancing is. Hopefully we can get a response as to why Trions' understanding of load balancing is so unalike its actual term.

What is Load Balancing?

Load balancing refers to efficiently distributing incoming network traffic across a group of backend servers, also known as a server farm or server pool.
    Here's the easiest representation of load balancing using my finest Paint skills

How it should be:

Let's take a portion of the RIFT Community-

Now here are is an example of players already logged in*-
    Actual numbers may vary

As players login, they are spread making the load / weight balanced-

Resulting in-

What Trion believes to be Load Balancing:

Players that are already logged in-

Here is a representation of what happens when a player logs in currently-

With the end result being-

There are plenty of other examples I can think of should they be needed.

Trion - This is not load balancing, this is load aggregation. Forcing everyone onto the same shard to make the game look busier. As others have stated, if you have data to backup the statement that this is actually helping, please share it.
    Last edited by Zojah; 01-06-2017 at 02:26 AM.

nvm

/10chars
    Last edited by Meteorblade; 01-06-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Ascendant

Wow I was thinking of doing something similar, but this beats it pants down.

You know I was thinking, that maybe Deepwood is one server and is used primarily for people AFKing in TB. But the Seastone server is used for warfronts. Laethys server could be used for instances.

This is as close as I could get to explaining how it's being balanced.
    Last edited by Archyface; 01-06-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Thumbs up

LOL, thanks I needed a good laugh to start the day! Nice one

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

Regardless of the result which seems to be as you described. The intent from the way they worded it and described it when it was released was to make it so that servers that tend to be overly populated in peak play hours will move people to other servers that weren't so populated to take off some of the loading time to get into or perhaps even while going between zones. This was also done before the expansion was released with what I'm assuming was in preparation for any large influx of players that might be returning to the game which was indeed a lot of people for the first few week.

Either way I think at this point it's not necessary to keep around. Personally more often than not I load into my own server so I'm not bothered by it as much as other people seem to be.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    This was also done before the expansion was released with what I'm assuming was in preparation for any large influx of players that might be returning to the game which was indeed a lot of people for the first few week.

Either way I think at this point it's not necessary to keep around. Personally more often than not I load into my own server so I'm not bothered by it as much as other people seem to be.
    If it was done before release, does this mean it was only turned on a couple of weeks ago?

And Deepwood is the one we all log into, am guessing that's your home by your sig.
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Ascendant

Snedhepl described the process here:

What's going is quite simple: We are basically doing an automatic shard hop when you log in to a particular shard that has under X people. This will generally result in more abundant player populations. But when there's lots of folks on the same shard it then puts them on a new shard. So if there's more than Y people on Hailol it'll put the people on say Wolfsbane instead. If there's more than Y people on Hailol and Wolfsbane it'll put the people on Laethys. And so on. Server names are only examples.

It does not force you to stay on that shard, if you want to go to some other shard because the zone you're in is too busy or there's an event or any other reason you can continue to shard hop as normal.

This is basically just load balancing in preparation for a population upswell when the expansion hits.
    So there are two steps involved here: [a] when you log into an empty shard, the system puts you to another, more crowded shard, and [b] when there are too many people on that shard, the system will start to put people on another shard.

One might be tempted to speculate why most people only experience [a] (being put onto a crowded shard since their original shard is empty). But as we were recently told that the game population is quite healthy, I doubt it has anything to do with most shards being empty these days.

Lmao
    This is outstanding & So true hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyttlesawdust View Post
    For most of the battle I just see this huge monstrous camel-toe. I'm just firing away at a camel-toe monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Zojah View Post
    This is not load balancing, this is load aggregation. Forcing everyone onto the same shard to make the game look busier. As others have stated, if you have data to backup the statement that this is actually helping, please share it.
    Exactly this ^
    Just admitting that this isn't balancing, it's simply an attempt to make the game look more populated, would be nice and fair for starters. More so - people would be fine with it, if it's properly optimized! Currently all it does is making the logging process more tedious than it should be (and pissing off a lot of RPers). If it's in fact balancing anything - please, by all means, share it with the community. Or stop calling it balancing in the first place, since it's definitely not what it looks like.

P.S. @Zojah thanks for the laughs, such paint skills much wow

Let's talk: 'Load Balancing'-j8axpbt.gif
    Last edited by Laeti; 01-06-2017 at 03:43 AM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360 <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Default Bahahaha!!!!

yup so I just said in another thread to combine servers already...nobody will notice lol

as someone else said prior ,..server loading is the poor mans way to do just that..
    Last edited by MissGreen; 01-06-2017 at 03:59 AM.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Let's talk: 'Load Balancing'-20170106164649_1.jpg

Fixed!

You're welcome!
    The Pack - Sanzor - Cleric
    Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Gharn View Post
    Attachment 30318

Fixed!

You're welcome!
    Thanks buddy you saved my life!
    oh nvm I dont care the slightest if I even drop in bloodiron best iron since not an RPer or whatever, I most of the time realize after 3 hours that Im in another shard when I see someone I dont wanna see

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Isn't Greta Garbo dead?

Attachment 30318

Fixed!

You're welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishoujo View Post
    Thanks buddy you saved my life!
    oh nvm I dont care the slightest if I even drop in bloodiron best iron since not an RPer or whatever, I most of the time realize after 3 hours that Im in another shard when I see someone I dont wanna see
    We're not on about the 'Return to Home Shard' feature (that I'm sure 95% of players aren't actually aware of ). We're talking about load balancing

Prophet of Telara

Attachment 30318

Fixed!

You're welcome!
    Tell you what, let me know when me clicking the button returns all Faeblighters to Faeblight. I have yet to see a single person from our ROLEPLAYING shard that wants to be forced to be on any other server.
    Last edited by Oddr; 01-06-2017 at 08:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast