+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree850Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Feedback from the Community

Quote Originally Posted by MissGreen View Post
    I mean one dungeon that is halfway sustainable, no raids, the pvp wf's have been cut down...shall I continue?
    Please do, the idea is to give specific and useful feedback for the devs. I don't disagree with you but I want to help focus the information in this thread. Saying more general or vague statements aren't nearly as useful as specific feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    My next bit is about the payment model. I think a payment model where you pay for wardrobe features, mounts, dimensions, souls, callings, expansions, zones, sagas, and the likes are fine. Why? Because you're either paying for cosmetic items that have no bearing on your character or you're paying for actual content or ways to modify existing content. And by paying for this you are encouraging devs to continue to produce either cool wardrobes or content. However I absolutely object to paying for player power and charges for the same reasons, because if we do pay them for it they will find more ways to lock player power and charges behind paywalls. Rift is also one of the most expensive games for new players to get into.
    On this note, ever since the decision to remove features from non-patrons and provide them for patrons only was made, my interest in the game was a steady downward spiral. I had faith that making SFP B2P would help bring these features back, but it appears this has not been the case.

After listening to the livestream talk more about the introduction of individual reward charges (tokens), I was disappointed to say the least on specific comments that were made regarding patrons being the ones keeping employees "alive" and paying for their mortgages, etc. What about the people (like myself) who don't have patron status but have helped support the game thru buying the various DLC packs and credit purchases available over the years? To me this was a slap in the face to hear that. I understand that patrons generally pay more to support the game. But a big reason that drew me to Rift was the flexibility of not paying a monthly fee to enjoy an MMO that I felt was better than WoW. Instead it seems like we're constantly being reminded that we should be paying for charges (or subscribing to patron) to earn items in game at a rate that doesn't appear to be an excessive grind. Between the DLC costs, credit purchases and subscribing to patron, it would be more cost effective to play WoW instead.

Yes there will be reminders provided that everything is optional and that you don't need to spend a dime to play the game, etc. But for those who have spent considerable time and money on the game already, but who aren't patrons, I personally feel like we're being told "sorry but not good enough". There needs to be better recognition of this. Non-patrons help support the game as well and even players who hardly spend a dime at least help populate the game and provide more people to group up and play together with.

Anyway my "rant of the day" is complete. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Letobrick; 11-28-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Letobrick View Post
    But for those who have spent considerable time and money on the game already, but who aren't patrons, I personally feel like we're being told "sorry but not good enough". There needs to be better recognition of this. Non-patrons help support the game as well and even players who hardly spend a dime at least help populate the game and provide more people to group up and play together with.
    That certain notorious forum posters always treat non-patrons like greedy freeloaders is ok for me, the Internet is full of *** with an attitude, so why bother. But I also got the same feeling of "not good enough" you mention, and it's interesting to hear that Trion themselves now officially ok'ed this mindset. IMO it should make no difference if I spend 100€ on patron or on credits, as 100€ revenue are 100€ revenue - but obviously this is not the way Trion sees it. This also is one of the reasons my wife and I quit a while ago (we were even patrons at that time), so now our money goes somewhere else where we feel valued as customers.

But BTT: I still follow the Rift forums to see how the game is going. And apart from all the obvious issues (bugs, disabled content, changes that seem not to be working yet) there is one question that really needs to be adressed:

What is this xpac's main selling point?

What I hear is that the landscapes are beautiful, the quests are well written, and that's it. The only new thing seems to be Planar Fragments, and all I heard about that just sounds horrible - a system that is based on RNGł and that clutters up your bags with tons of useless items which have to be manually disenchanted one by one? Ugh, this does not really sound fun to me.

So even if all the bugs were ironed out and the game was working as intended (2000 hit to get into an expert that drops 2000 hit equip? Somebody really needs to rethink stuff like that), I wonder what would be special about this xpac?

Isn't that the norm though? Anytime there is a new expansion the gear in that expansion is always more powerful, I can't think of an MMO expansion where the gear wasn't an improvement in the new expansion. Have you had different experiences?
    Yes, just about every MMO-type game runs into power inflation. That's not my main issue. It's the lack of going back to revamp the now obsolete content. There are games that do a much better job of this. Crafting recipes that require significant cost no longer make sense once they are no longer near the top edge of the power scale.

OP, thank you for posting! I tend to agree with the majority of what you stated. It is very disheartening to see content removed from the game in an expansion. I have a list of several things that have been taken out over time, and are not being replaced with meaningful, repeatable content.
    • Openworld PvP
    • Pvp Rifts
    • Full roster of available warfronts during week (even though I have preferences)
    • Conquest (I understand why it is disabled for launch, until a large enough population is at level cap) - and meaningful rewards for participating!
    • Conquest 20 man premades (where raid composition could make a difference! and people were more enthusiastic about joining)
    • The mobile app
    • Updated rewards to encourage people to revisit pre-expansion content (old dungeons, raids, etc)

There are probably more things to add to the list. I don't think 3.0 or 4.0 come anywhere close to the scope and value of the 2.0 (Storm Legion) expansion. However, I do approve of some changes that they have made. I am enjoying the new content, but the majority of it is not engaging, repeatable content.

The Planar Assaults are quick and easy....but they get old very quickly!

I am not sure about the Legendary Powers yet, although I like the potential. I have been seeing some creative new specs that people are playing. I don't think it was tested enough to go live in PvP - although having that unexpected element makes it more entertaining even though it is dramatically more unbalanced.

I do like the wardrobe feature that was added awhile back!

I don't like the new crafting stuff. I feel it was rushed and is a bit expensive and unwieldy, but maybe I'll get used to it.

I think someone else said it well earlier...I have complete respect for the efforts of the Dev team, but feel the pressure to push out content that feels unfinished and/or recycled is disappointing. Seeing content (particularly PvP, and now 20 man raids) removed and/or nerfed is disappointing. I feel like the f2p model has had an overall negative impact on the game, and I have seen it done better in other games.

I am still a Rift fan, but would love to see more things to be excited about going forward. I would also love to see more visible community participation and action from the Trion team. It's always fun and entertaining to see them out and about, playing the game and engaging with the community.
    Shenoah@Deepwood
    GM - Hello Kitty
    ~how did I end up here, again?~

I have to say I was ok with the new expansion while I was leveling up and then it just seemed to end abruptly. It feels like there is a zone missing? The promise was 5 new zones and realistically there are only 4. Not sure if Alittu or Tenebrean Schism are supposed to count as a "zone" but I dont' think either qualifies atm.

I am also a bit confused about what to do at endgame? I pretty much stick to solo play as my computer can't handle much group content but at least at the end of NT I had several paths to getting improved gear, either from crafting or buying bits and pieces when able from the store. Currently the crafted gear is terrible until 510 or so and there is just the one set of "World" gear in the store, which isn't upgradeable either. I feel like I should just wait for the actual gear to be released or something.

There are also constant spelling errors that just annoy me, not that I'm perfect but saying "rouge" when you mean "rogue". I expect better from NPCs!

That all being said, I feel like this is the worst expansion so far and it's still pretty good. I loved all the story content and I like the instanced ending because, as I've said, I have a lower end computer. I find the server grouping thing more annoying than anything in the new content and spend half my time jumping around between shards to be able to do daily crafting. I just feel the portions were too small, Xarth Mire felt like it should be twice as long, yet I feel like I was in Gedlo Badlands for a week or so. It only took me 10 days to get to 70 and that seems way too quick for me.

Quest rewards were weird too? No secondary gear at all, like rings and such, I assumed that the final quest lines would start filling in some bits, maybe even get a trinket of some kind, but nothing. I even had one quest reward the exact same chest piece twice!

I like it, but I see issues with it mechanically, idc abotu what class or spec is doing most dps, but I would like a shield with some SP on it so I can run around and play bad like I want...

It's like that old saying "such terrible food and the portions are too small"

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    What is this xpac's main selling point?

What I hear is that the landscapes are beautiful, the quests are well written, and that's it. The only new thing seems to be Planar Fragments, and all I heard about that just sounds horrible - a system that is based on RNGł and that clutters up your bags with tons of useless items which have to be manually disenchanted one by one? Ugh, this does not really sound fun to me.
    You know, and this is my opinion, maybe a better question would be why would a player want to buy this expansion? This expansion has 4 zones, a minor modification to the talent trees, a grindy RNG system, and lackluster IAs. Ignoring the massive launch day problems and the fact the expansion wasn't ready for live, what's going on with this expansion that would make me want to buy it? Right now there's nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letobrick View Post
    Anyway my "rant of the day" is complete. Thanks for listening.
    No, not a rant at all, the feedback is useful. Thank you for posting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanoah View Post
    I am still a Rift fan, but would love to see more things to be excited about going forward.
    You raised a lot of valid points but I wanted to highlight this, like I said above there's no real reason to buy the expansion. I understand that the team is pretty small and funding isn't the best but there's no reason to rush your expansion like this and there's no reason why we still can't have a good expansion.
    Last edited by Necalli; 11-29-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Soulwalker

Default A quick returning player rundown

So I got an email 'starfall prophecy blah-blah-blah', Nightmare Tide wasn't half bad so I decided to give it a shot.

New agreement huh? "Trion reserves the right to do whatever it wants to any virtual currency and virtual goods at it's sole discretion" well that's new.

I log in in the realm of Fae and start falling through the ground, In about 10 seconds I get teleported to Silverwood. I use my teleport thing and it turns out that new area is locked... okay. I teleport to the capital and start repeatedly falling through the floor AGAIN with all my popup menus automatically closing themselves every second. Bleh. Guess i'll check the minions then. Something seems off... My 27k (or was it 37k?) aventurine is gone. Noice. Since I can't log out I kill the process.

With crafting being useless as it is, when stuff that required you to have fully capped crafting marks to buy a SINGLE item was introduced I felt sorry for the time I invested in Rift and abandoned it. I would totally understand if when aventurine became capped you couldn't gain any until you go down to 5000, but just blatantly removing it all is a whole new level of ********. To be fair, considering Nightmare tide's tendencies having all of the new area locked and calling it 'DLC' does not surprise me, I'm partially to blame considering I have all minion slots, Planeswalker: Water and a lot of other other stuff bought.

How far does 'free to play' stretch nowadays? Can you call first Doom free to play already? it's first episode is shareware, after all.
    Last edited by KatArus; 11-29-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KatArus View Post
    How far does 'free to play' stretch nowadays?
    It went pay to pay with this expansion, something I'm personally totally fine with if they get away from the free to play model. They haven't, instead they've just thrown SFP on top of all of the other expenses in game making it one of the most expensive games for a new player to get into.

Default ...all the more reason

You raised a lot of valid points but I wanted to highlight this, like I said above there's no real reason to buy the expansion. I understand that the team is pretty small and funding isn't the best but there's no reason to rush your expansion like this and there's no reason why we still can't have a good expansion.
    I often thought about this. If the team is that small, then all the more reason to listen to customers/suggestions of what they are reporting back and go for quality and polished content- think it's safe to say nobody here would complain one iota if the team said, 'hey guys, we ran into some snags that are taking longer than anticipated to iron out, we are going to delay the expansion a little to be able to deliver a quality product." Then do just that - the subscriptions and population would certainly grow and it would be a win win for all.

Aside from the beautiful art work, I personally see nothing that make me yearn to purchase new expansion either. TBH, I've actually been wrestling with keeping my subscription as only 4 in our guild even login on a somewhat regular basis. Pretty sad when someone logs in and you get all excited then realize they just checking mail & sending minions off.:-(

On side note- I thought the whole purpose of the splash screen at login was to use that as a platform to communicate to players of any\all notification, yet all I see is the msg of the day:in chat re: 2 known issues. Seriously? only 2? ... bit misleading. Then I saw forum post that tomorrow's patch being pushed to Thursday. It's unclear to me why they aren't being more transparent with things like this in a centralized location as not everyone uses this forum.

In meantime I will putz around and try to remain optimistic that they will get current issues ironed out soon. This is all so bassackwards...

There alot of points in the OP that i agree with and i have already stated that i dont like the crafting in another topic

i actually like the fact that new contents including dungeons and other zones are going to be added to game gradually, well thats if this is what they are actually planning to do! i mean if we get 4-5 more dungeons overtime and 2-3 more zones and a few sagas overtime then we would have a reason to play the game overtime right?

which brings me to the next point, i hope that they actually make more open world content as they go on...

I mean hell Im playing RIFT but the last thing i want to do right now is rifts, i agree with OP we need more stuff to do on a daily/weekly basis that arent boring as hell

I wasnt around for the vanilla (due to certain reasons like me being unable to pay for sub at that time) but in storm legion there were alot of interesting zone events like behemoth hunts or volcan to name a few which were missing in nightmare tide and seem to be missing in SFP... sad part is if you check the achivments for doing the SFP zone event they are exactly the same across the diffrent zones, just search "Space walk" in achivments and you will see what i mean

and then there was the group content in earth saga and water saga that you needed to do in order to progress with the quest and i have heard of the initial launch of "river of souls" raid which triggered a certain world event unlike a certain tower that popped out of nowhere in late nightmare tide(though if you had gone through the dream souls quest for oracle there actually was an apocalyptic tower mentioned)

stupid mechanics and bugs aside this was a beautiful expansion i mean i fell in love with ashenfell i rather liked the wetlands of xarth mire but after being done with quests and exploration? i felt rather empty

i hope you bring zone events and rifts back...i hope you bring RIFT back
    (yeah sorry just felt like doing that last part )

#MakeRiftGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcleros View Post
    think it's safe to say nobody here would complain one iota if the team said, 'hey guys, we ran into some snags that are taking longer than anticipated to iron out, we are going to delay the expansion a little to be able to deliver a quality product." Then do just that - the subscriptions and population would certainly grow and it would be a win win for all.
    I don't think that's necessarily accurate. Anytime something is postponed, even if for good reasons, there is always someone to complain about it. People complain about everything. However, I suspect that the community would appreciate Trion pushing something back instead of falling into the stereotype that now exists where Trion pushes content regardless of how broken something is.
    Quote Originally Posted by maousama View Post
    i actually like the fact that new contents including dungeons and other zones are going to be added to game gradually, well thats if this is what they are actually planning to do! i mean if we get 4-5 more dungeons overtime and 2-3 more zones and a few sagas overtime then we would have a reason to play the game overtime right?
    I hadn't heard that they were planning on launching more zones and instances over the expansion. I know they wanted to hold off on the fifth zone for a while and the raid was TBA. Was this announced on a live stream?
    Last edited by Necalli; 11-29-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Crafting is burning me out in SFP. They have doubled the requirement to craft basic components (1 Bar = 2 Ores , 1 Leather = 2 Hides etc..)

I am trying to level my Armorsmith.
    To advance just 10 levels it requires:
    100+ Nodes mined. (200+ Ores)
    100+ Beasts butchered. (200+ Hides)
    40+ Plat for reagents.

I really hope they take another look at the gathering/butchering professions and revert them back to what they were in Nightmare Tide and Storm Legion. When 1 = 1.

Am i right?
    Or am i just not seeing the benefit yet?
    Last edited by Wackywoo; 11-29-2016 at 05:39 PM.
    [No longer an active player]

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #29
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Game balance is always an ongoing challenge, which is why you see the Dev team readdressing it over time.

The bugs that affected launch are another matter.
    I can tell you that issues arise on launch that we cannot see or address with internal QA or limited Beta testing alone.
    All of the Devs play the game, so they discuss the same issues internally, and everyone is committed to a good experience for all. We hate when things break and act as fast as possible to address them.
    To that end, we even postponed this week's patch from the usual Wednesday, to try to cram as many fixes in as possible this week. It's all in testing now, and we hope for a Thursday patch if all comes through.

Side note on what I said regarding supporting the game on livestream...
    There are three parts to player support for RIFT:
    - The free players who provide content, fun and friendship for the community
    - The players who buy things here and there, helping with ongoing development (less predictable but often VERY supportive, in bursts)
    - The Patrons who are the bread and butter of day-to-day game support (a slow, steady stream)

Each one of these players has a vital role to play in RIFT, and the Devs job is to ensure that the game remains fun and engaging for all while ensuring that there are means to keep the world of Telara financially viable.

Do we always get it right? Nope. Do we try our best? Definitely. That's just the reality of the world we live in, and most game companies continue to explore what works best for both players and the health of the game world. It's surprisingly unpredictable, and no two player communities are the same. Nor do even two people often agree on all points of how a game should be developed, produced, balanced or monetized. =)

We also use a tremendous amount of in-game data to learn what players are doing, what activities create the most engagement, and where our efforts are most needed. It's a long process and we are happy to have you all with us.

The Devs also read the forums a LOT, even though they don't always have time to respond. Measured, constructive input such as you all put forth in this thread is ALWAYS welcome and appreciated, from new and veteran players alike.

Keep on keeping on.
    We're here, we care, and we're working as hard as we can.
    Brasse

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #30
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Wackywoo
    Crafting is burning me out in SFP. They have doubled the requirement to craft basic components (1 Bar = 2 Ores , 1 Leather = 2 Hides etc..)
    This was an intentional shift to encourage people to level up with consumables rather than with items. If everyone levels up through producing armor and weapons, the market floods and the prices fall to... well, nothing and they get dumped for almost nothing on the market.

Does this work as Dev intended? Time and data will tell.
    Brasse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast