+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Game Development Vocab

Doc

Post Game Development Vocab

I see people use these terms so often in the wrong way, and thought hey Ill pull the information from my old GSP book so we can at least know the EA book definition for each

G.S.P.- Game and simulation programming

Game Development Life cycle Phases

- Pre-production
    Pre-production is the planning stage only after first getting the approval with a concept document. The game design document is put together from the various art styles, productions plans, and over view of how you want the game mechanics to work out.

- Production
    The production phase is only granted after having a successful game prototype. This Is really the meat and potatoes of the cycle, and where the game gets assembled. All the concepts are actually turned into real game play, and the game gets ready to start being tested throughout the next stages. Production is where the dreaded overtime work weeks kick in, and where scoping really starts to hit in.

- Alpha
    Is where games tend to lose all the extras that you would like to have, but just can't afford in time. The game at this point must have a playable version from start to finish. All the bug data bases are formed, and basic interfaces are formed. If multiplayer is a part of the game it is tested, and first runs of the game manual are made.

- Beta
    Follows the alpha phase, and draws a close to the building of the game. This phase generally meets a limited public to test the game for bugs, and anomalies.
    Beta focuses more on the polishing and finishing of the game to achieve the maximum performance before it goes gold.

- Gold
    Is started after the beta has successfully ended. This starts the manufacturing aspect of the game, and is only produced after a master disk of the game has been proven to work, and the bug base has been thoroughly reviewed. After both of those has been completed the games are stamped out , and boxed to be released to the public.

- Post-Production
    Follows the game after it has been distributed to the public. This stage focuses on newer versions of the game being released to fix bugs, and balance issues in the game. some of these may even include new content that was intended to be released, but did not make the dead line. All of this is normally free of charge, and applied though online patches when available.

I hate to see people say its beta it will change when in reality its not going to. It is possible, but highly improbable that it will.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jingcha View Post
    I see people use these terms so often in the wrong way, and thought hey Ill pull the information from my old GSP book so we can at least know the EA book definition for each

G.S.P.- Game and simulation programming

Game Development Life cycle Phases

- Pre-production
    Pre-production is the planning stage only after first getting the approval with a concept document. The game design document is put together from the various art styles, productions plans, and over view of how you want the game mechanics to work out.

- Production
    The production phase is only granted after having a successful game prototype. This Is really the meat and potatoes of the cycle, and where the game gets assembled. All the concepts are actually turned into real game play, and the game gets ready to start being tested throughout the next stages. Production is where the dreaded overtime work weeks kick in, and where scoping really starts to hit in.

- Alpha
    Is where games tend to lose all the extras that you would like to have, but just can't afford in time. The game at this point must have a playable version from start to finish. All the bug data bases are formed, and basic interfaces are formed. If multiplayer is a part of the game it is tested, and first runs of the game manual are made.

- Beta
    Follows the alpha phase, and draws a close to the building of the game. This phase generally meets a limited public to test the game for bugs, and anomalies.
    Beta focuses more on the polishing and finishing of the game to achieve the maximum performance before it goes gold.

- Gold
    Is started after the beta has successfully ended. This starts the manufacturing aspect of the game, and is only produced after a master disk of the game has been proven to work, and the bug base has been thoroughly reviewed. After both of those has been completed the games are stamped out , and boxed to be released to the public.

- Post-Production
    Follows the game after it has been distributed to the public. This stage focuses on newer versions of the game being released to fix bugs, and balance issues in the game. some of these may even include new content that was intended to be released, but did not make the dead line. All of this is normally free of charge, and applied though online patches when available.

I hate to see people say its beta it will change when in reality its not going to. It is possible, but highly improbable that it will.

Thanks
    Hmm well lots can happen in beta, I saw entire harvesting and crafting systems be passed over or redesigned. Is it likely? not really will loads of new idea's make it in release, no probably not. Will the game change, yea for sure it will beta doesn't include every design and feature and over the course of beta this makes it so that lots can still changes.

Combat can be dull and boring until a certain part of combat makes it live, to give a example that people can relate to think of VG combat without chains, counters and rescue's. Especially early in beta stuff similiar like this will happen.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Hmm well lots can happen in beta, I saw entire harvesting and crafting systems be passed over or redesigned. Is it likely? not really will loads of new idea's make it in release, no probably not. Will the game change, yea for sure it will beta doesn't include every design and feature and over the course of beta this makes it so that lots can still changes.

Combat can be dull and boring until a certain part of combat makes it live, to give a example that people can relate to think of VG combat without chains, counters and rescue's. Especially early in beta stuff similiar like this will happen.

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    To often do I see these people that need to be disillusioned in early games builds or even 1 week before a game comes out and say its just beta it will change IE BFBC:2 for PC kept hearing that, and well not to my surprise, but the game launched completely backward as it was in beta, and 100% unstable even till today 4 months after release. I just feel people use these terms with out knowing what they really mean. I see people use going gold, or alpha and beta synonymously when really they all have separate meanings.

Does production counts as Pre-Alpha?
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

-Soon

A Developer term to denote an unknown amount of time that is never as short as you hope it to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Zikkar View Post
    -Soon

A Developer term to denote an unknown amount of time that is never as short as you hope it to mean.
    Haha!
    QFT

Gavriel Venitiago
    Honor the Sword of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Does production counts as Pre-Alpha?
    Yes, but technically so does Alpha. Pre-Production and Production both indicate a general phase of the project. Generally speaking, pre-production applies to the phase of the project where the title hasn't yet been greenlit or approved for production. During pre-production, you put your plans together for the game's design, but also for the production planning - the overall view of taking the idea of a game and putting it together.

A great game idea and $1.99 will get you a cup of coffee. Anyone can come up with a great idea. The challenge is in being able to take that idea and actually implementing it in a way that meets budget and time constraints. If you meet your quality targets along the way, so much the better. The pre-production phase is a way to put all those ideas and implementation planning together on paper.

Once a game gets the official nod, it shifts into production. At that point, you're no longer just talking about what to put in a game - you're now spending real money and you're being held to a real deadline.

*-Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers

Quote Originally Posted by Kendricke View Post
    Yes, but technically so does Alpha. Pre-Production and Production both indicate a general phase of the project. Generally speaking, pre-production applies to the phase of the project where the title hasn't yet been greenlit or approved for production. During pre-production, you put your plans together for the game's design, but also for the production planning - the overall view of taking the idea of a game and putting it together.

A great game idea and $1.99 will get you a cup of coffee. Anyone can come up with a great idea. The challenge is in being able to take that idea and actually implementing it in a way that meets budget and time constraints. If you meet your quality targets along the way, so much the better. The pre-production phase is a way to put all those ideas and implementation planning together on paper.

Once a game gets the official nod, it shifts into production. At that point, you're no longer just talking about what to put in a game - you're now spending real money and you're being held to a real deadline.
    Thx mate. Good example
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Nice, heh I used to work for EA back in the day - please don't hate, working for them was punishment enough, heh! I'm guessing since Scott keeps saying the game is pre-alpha, it must be *very* close to alpha given what we've seen, heard and how long the game has been in production now. Another very important term - not just in game development - is "milestone".

Ala Wikipedia....

Commercial game development projects may be required to meet milestones set by publisher. Milestones mark major events during game development and are used to track game's progress. Such milestones may be, for example, first playable, alpha, or beta game versions. Project milestones depend on the developer schedules.
    In short, for each stage and/or stages within a cycle, there are certain milestones that (should) must be met by certain deadlines to avoid cost overruns. But, much like Run DMC said..."It's tricky!"
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Nice, heh I used to work for EA back in the day - please don't hate, working for them was punishment enough, heh! I'm guessing since Scott keeps saying the game is pre-alpha, it must be *very* close to alpha given what we've seen, heard and how long the game has been in production now. Another very important term - not just in game development - is "milestone".

Ala Wikipedia....

In short, for each stage and/or stages within a cycle, there are certain milestones that (should) must be met by certain deadlines to avoid cost overruns. But, much like Run DMC said..."It's tricky!"
    I have another one Scoping. When I hear that word I cringe because it means they have taken out a major idea, and made it crap. My professor was sad to say he made the Superman game for the Xbox and they were forced to scope like 80% of the game. Needless to say it was the 1 and only non sports game to be produced by EA sports lol

+ Reply to Thread