+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Recruiting my friends - SL vs. 4.0 (I'm quitting take my stuff!)

Telaran

Default Recruiting my friends - SL vs. 4.0 (I'm quitting take my stuff!)

I like Rift. I like to get my friends to try out Rift. Back in SL, that used to be easy:

Me: Hey, you should try this awesome game I'm playing!
    Friend: Money's a little tight until my WoW sub runs out – how much to try Rift?
    Me: You can get a box copy off Amazon for $10, and that unlocks all your character and bag slots, auction house access, and a month of patron for quick leveling! Everything you need to check out the game!
    Friend: That sounds like a very reasonable deal! I will look into it!

But now?

Me: Hey you should try this game!
    Friend: How much?
    Me: Well, the base game is free, but it's $40 if you want to get to end game. Plus maybe $20 to unlock a few character/bag/bank slots, another $20 to unlock all your gear slots, and $20 - $50 to unlock however many souls are required for your one viable raiding spec.
    Friend: So... at least $100 to get started? But that gives me everything, right? All the perks?
    Me: Well, no. Actually for your $100 you'd still be considered a “Free Player” and second class citizen. If you want to choose your own dungeons, stack WF charges, or accumulate rest XP, you also need to buy a subscription for $15 a month.
    Friend: Okay, but that unlocks everything, right? Like the minions, and this awesome wardrobe system I keep hearing about?
    Me: Well, no. All that stuff costs more real money in the cash shop. Around $20 to unlock your minions, and like $40 just to get your feet wet with the wardrobe system.
    Friend: Okay, but... the cash shop is just cosmetics, right? Rift's not pay-to-win?
    Me: Definitely not! Except when it is. Like when for Summerfest they offered us a T3 weapon AND a BiS seal, and only let us earn enough currency to buy one of them. But we could still get the other one for real money in the cash shop!
    Friend: Okay, money aside... It's a good game, right? Plays well and looks great?
    Me: Um.... it plays well OR it looks great. Not both.
    Friend: But it's so old! My computer can play Fallout 4 on Ultra and get 60 fps.
    Me: So can mine. I still top out at 15 fps in Rift raids though. But hey, that's technically playable!
    Friend: Okay, but, the game itself is good, right? Classes are balanced, bugs get addressed promptly, servers are stable, and the company communicates with players and addresses community concerns?
    Me: *Refusing to make eye contact*
    *Awkward silence*
    Friend: I'm gonna text you the name of the server I play on in WoW. You should really check it out...

Anyway, before you ask, Yes, I am quitting, and Yes, you can have my stuff! Not the good stuff, I already gave that away. But my one remaining guildie didn't want the dimension stuff, so it's up for grabs! It's in a Vengeful Sky dimension on Deepwood called FREE STUFF!!! and I'll be adding more over the next few days / whenever there's room.

Thatched barns, Stonefield chapels, Brevane houses, a Loggerman's lift, Shimmersand windmills, Dimensional entry points, Barnyard animal NPCs from the Hotfix Earth pack, and more! Come get some really awesome free stuff to look at while you AFK in your dimension and wait sadly for your guildmates who are never coming back...

this writeup is AMAZING!!! would be willing to write a few more? i'll offer a bounty of 100 plat per post!
    "flurpphbtphbtpsplurrrrrtpoootis"
    a.k.a. slap matt

Aside from the Summerfest weapon being T2, the post was pretty accurate. Best of luck to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Shadowlander

Hey man let your friend know about this "No Trials. No Tricks. No Traps." or "We hear you" i bet everything that will come and play

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyy View Post
    this writeup is AMAZING!!! would be willing to write a few more? i'll offer a bounty of 100 plat per post!
    Not for Rift plat, LOL.

I just bought a 30 day sub to ESO. Been hearing really good things about it lately.

Offer me some of their currency and we can definitely talk...

So, you're going to end up paying how much for an ESO subscription by the time you NEED the xpac and Starfall Prophecy content is actually released? As much as the pack or more?

Oh, and the pack will probably go on sale after the early adopters are done buying, like all Rift packs have gone on sale, as much as 75% off? I got two of the $100 packs off Steam during a sale for $25 and they came with 90 days of patron.

That's right, i said Steam, not one of the gray market sites that sell stolen goods either. The packs go on sale on Steam regularly.

You have to pay for minions? Since when? I have paid plenty for this game but nothing for minions.

The seal was the only non cosmetic thing worth getting from the event and it was easy enough to get for free. I got one for each of my toons with minimal effort.

You are essentially complaining that a company that makes a product is giving people incentives to spend money. They made a business decision to release an xpac that costs money.

I am reminded of Windows 10. Windows 10 is without any doubt the WORST version of Windows(been using Windows since 3.1) but the ignorant praise it because its FREE. Windows 7 was the last operating system that was designed to be better for the user. Windows 8 was Microsoft testing a closed ecosystem with a "lease" or "as a service" mentality. The pile of garbage that is Windows 10 is the culmination of consumer complacency and people wanting something for nothing driving the market to be anti-consumer.

Hopefully, the decision to make SFP a paid expansion indicates that the quality of the content is going to go up, rather than down. Hopefully NT was the Windows 10 equivalent and SFP will be the 7 equivalent.
    Last edited by Doveblack; 08-08-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    Doveblack@laethys(cleric) Blackdovey@laethys(rogue) Blackdovie@laethys(mage)

Guild: Doves

Default Advice

So, what do you feel Trion should do?

If they use the F2P model... xx% complain... this new model xx% complain = Damned if they do one thing... damned if they do the other.

Quote Originally Posted by DmgIncGM View Post

If they use the F2P model... xx% complain... this new model xx% complain = Damned if they do one thing... damned if they do the other.
    I would clean it up. It's getting confusing to explain as the op has stated. Unlock the slots and open up other features. The f2p, p2w, b2p... what else?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Doveblack View Post
    So, you're going to end up paying how much for an ESO subscription by the time you NEED the xpac and Starfall Prophecy content is actually released? As much as the pack or more?
    If I sub for 1 month at a time (the most expensive option) I'll have spent roughly $45 by the time 4.0 hits. For this, I'll get access to the base game, ALL the DLCs, and a bunch of leveling bonuses and cosmetic perks. I'll also get 4500 Crowns (equivalent of Credits) to spend in their store for free. The DLCs cost about 2000 Crowns each, so after those 3 months I'll be able to buy at least two of them for no extra cost. And once you buy the DLC, you have access to it FOREVER, no ongoing monthly sub required.

And of course, as a brand new player, I won't need to buy extra character slots, bag slots, gear slots, or premium souls just to catch up. That's all included. I also won't have to pay for access to ESO's equivalent of minions, wardrobe, and other "extras". You know, all those things that aren't strictly "necessary," but actually make playing the game a more fun and unique experience.

I am reminded of Windows 10. Windows 10 is without any doubt the WORST version of Windows(been using Windows since 3.1) but the ignorant praise it because its FREE.
    You still use Windows?
    *awkward silence*
    I'm gonna text you the name of this really awesome operating system I use, you should check it out...

Rift Disciple

You have to pay for minions? Since when? I have paid plenty for this game but nothing for minions.
    Each additional minion slot costs a few hundred credits, increasing in price as you unlock more. Plus some credit-only minion missions. But these things don't count.

Ascendant

What LuckyHoleInOne said, plus the minion starter pack, attractor minions, premium minions, and event minions which are all credits only. No idea how one can play the game and not know that, you really must have some very special selective view when it comes to the Rift shop.

@ the OP: Was a fun read, I just imagined myself being in this situation
    Last edited by Elayara; 08-08-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabonder View Post
    If I sub for 1 month at a time (the most expensive option) I'll have spent roughly $45 by the time 4.0 hits. For this, I'll get access to the base game, ALL the DLCs, and a bunch of leveling bonuses and cosmetic perks. I'll also get 4500 Crowns (equivalent of Credits) to spend in their store for free. The DLCs cost about 2000 Crowns each, so after those 3 months I'll be able to buy at least two of them for no extra cost. And once you buy the DLC, you have access to it FOREVER, no ongoing monthly sub required.

And of course, as a brand new player, I won't need to buy extra character slots, bag slots, gear slots, or premium souls just to catch up. That's all included. I also won't have to pay for access to ESO's equivalent of minions, wardrobe, and other "extras". You know, all those things that aren't strictly "necessary," but actually make playing the game a more fun and unique experience.

You still use Windows?
    *awkward silence*
    I'm gonna text you the name of this really awesome operating system I use, you should check it out...

So what youre saying is, over a few dollars difference over the course of a few months, youre ditching this game to go pay for a different one because it includes more things in the subscription price?

Am i correct in assuming that you have already permanently unlocked most of the things you mentioned in Rift already? If so, that negates your financial argument entirely, since SFP is $40.

Whats that about a SUBSCRIPTION? You mean you have to subscribe and make continuous payments to play? You say subscription and then say how it permanently unlocks the DLC? Is it a subscription based game or is it like Rift? I am seriously asking because ive never looked into ESO.

That $40 one time purchase is A LOT cheaper in comparison, if the other game requires a subscription, considering it permanently gives you access to the new expansion and you already have FREE ACCESS to the rest of the game.

If ESOs subscription is the equivalent of patron and you buy a DLC thats the equivalent of SFP, why are you complaining about Rifts model? Less freebies? Between all the promotional stuff, ascended trove type things and loyalty gifts you can get free in Rift, i think it has quite a few freebies.

Also, i kind of have to use Windows on some of my machines. Im posting this from a Linux machine though.
    Last edited by Doveblack; 08-08-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    What LuckyHoleInOne said, plus the minion starter pack, attractor minions, premium minions, and event minions which are all credits only. No idea how one can play the game and not know that, you really must have some very special selective view when it comes to the Rift shop.

@ the OP: Was a fun read, I just imagined myself being in this situation
    Yeah i really do. I tend to ignore boring stuff like minions and dont spend much time browsing the store. I look for good sales on useful stuff like the essentials edition, the 75% off DLC packs on Steam, world event stuff i buy with in game currencies like essences and seals.

But i spend most of my time in Rift on Teamspeak raiding, not wasting my real money on minion junk. I dont have time for that stuff.

Telaran

Whats that about a SUBSCRIPTION? You mean you have to subscribe and make continuous payments to play? You say subscription and then say how it permanently unlocks the DLC? Is it a subscription based game or is it like Rift? I am seriously asking because ive never looked into ESO.
    No, it's more like either/or.

Option 1, buy the base game and as much (or none) of the DLC as you want. There's 4 DLCs (I think? Maybe 5?) and you can buy them "a la carte" or all of them as a bundle for around $60. You get permanent access to whatever you buy, forever, no subscription required.

Option 2, subscribe to the game for $15 a month (or less if you sub for longer) and get access to ALL of the content for as long as your sub is active. This option also gives you a stipend to spend in the cash store, and unlike Rift, the expansions are actually available in their store for credits. So you can sub for a few months, use your stipend to get the DLCs you want, and then have access to the game forever without spending another dime.

And that's FULL ACCESS. No $20 for earring slots here and $50 for premium souls there and nickel-and-diming you until you're embarrassed to actually admit how much you've spent on this game over the years.

And your line of reasoning is that since I've ALREADY spent so much money on this game, I might as well just keep throwing good money after bad?

Then you've clearly missed the point of my original post. It's not about the perspective of a long-time player who already has most everything unlocked. It's about trying to get new players to check the game out, maybe get some new folks in the guild to replace everyone who quit in the past few months.

I'm tired of logging on to an empty guild and a single-digit Friends List. And frankly, I'm tired of playing a sub-par game. I was actually getting 50+ fps last night in ESO (while the game was still downloading!) and I didn't lag or rubberband halfway across the zone even once! It was amazing!

Seriously. I spent the first 10 minutes running AND jumping AT THE SAME TIME, just because I could...

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by DmgIncGM View Post

How about a poll to the "Community".
    Korvac the conquerer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast