+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: If you don't buy SFP, can you still access the new zones and level to 70?

Default If you don't buy SFP, can you still access the new zones and level to 70?

There seems to be a massive debate in the chat channels in game right now as to if it will be like all other expansions (ie Storm Legion) where if you don't buy the expansion pack, you can still go to the new zones and do the quests and level up past 50 ... while others say that unless you buy one of the two expansion packs, you will NOT be able to level to 70 and/or go to the new zones.

So which is it?
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

I'm fairly sure if you don't buy any of the Expansion Packs you're stuck at level 65 without access to any new content, the exception been possibly new Dimension keys which can be crafted, at least that's the impression i got from the Live stream last night when someone asked that question

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I'm fairly sure if you don't buy any of the Expansion Packs you're stuck at level 65 without access to any new content, the exception been possibly new Dimension keys which can be crafted, at least that's the impression i got from the Live stream last night when someone asked that question
    So, Trion is changing their model then and their favorite motto about how F2P means "No Trials. No Tricks. No Traps." now means nothing? I mean if you don't buy Storm Legion (which Trion is still trying to push) you can level to 65 and access the content, as opposed to being locked at level 50 and can't access either SL or NT zones.

Hence the questions.

Rift Chaser

Trion is stepping up and charging for their product. They have put time, effort, and resources into creating the product, and now it's time to get paid. That's how a sustainable industry functions. It's the best thing that could happen to the software industry, and I hope other publishers move back to this model as well. Free = more "customers" but most of those will value the game at exactly the price they paid for it. Nothing.

So yeah, you want new product, you buy it. If you don't buy it, you don't get it. If the product is good people will buy it and it will grow. If people don't buy it, it will die. A better product will take its place.
    We can't hear the true songs, we are alone under the cold moon.

If that is the case, then why bother with Free 2 Play at all then? As I said, both NT and SL had the F2P model. If they are changing, why not "get paid" all the time and just go BACK to a subscription all the time?

@Ocho ... or other Dev ... please comment on this once and for all.

Shadowlander

Default If you don't buy SFP, can you still access the new zones and level to 70?

It takes money to pay the devs and the rest of the team - you can't properly fund a good quality game when only 15% of your players are spending money on the game.

As someone who works in the software development industry - I can tell you 'quality' comes from investment in the team.

Plane Walker

Whenever people say SFP I always think of this.

Plane Walker

Rift's model:
    1. Pay to unlock content
    2. Monthly subscription for bonus stuffs
    3. Pay to purchase high-end gears / cosmetics

Most mmos have only 1-2 of the above combination. Rift being the best mmo ofc have all 3 of them.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Wowo View Post
    Rift's model:
    1. Pay to unlock content
    2. Monthly subscription for bonus stuffs
    3. Pay to purchase high-end gears / cosmetics

Most mmos have only 1-2 of the above combination. Rift being the best mmo ofc have all 3 of them.
    Im getting tired of people whining constantly on here tbh.

And if you actually play the game, you wont ever have to purchase high end gear.

I wish people would stop acting like I don't know that it takes money to have development. I'm not a Bernie Sanders supporter and think that you can have everything for free.

I know it costs money. I've been in software development for 25 years. But let's get real here, the question is simple ... Trion went from a 100% subscription model to a F2P model and basically DLC with their Patron system and in game purchases. Are they trying a hybrid now, or are people just confused (well obviously), with what the 2 new XPacs choices mean?

Enough with the "Trion has to get paid" garbage ... no kidding, people don't work for free ... the only question here is:

Can you level to 70 and/or play the new zones if you DON'T spend real world cash (because they have said that you can't get the expansion with REX) to buy the XPAC ... or will it be like the other 2 expansions and you CAN level and get the content without paying IRL money?
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 08-06-2016 at 05:19 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Proclus_Lycaeus View Post
    I know it costs money. I've been in software development for 25 years. But let's get real here, the question is simple ... Trion went from a 100% subscription model to a F2P model and basically DLC with their Patron system and in game purchases. Are they trying a hybrid now, or are people just confused (well obviously), with what the 2 new XPacs mean?

Can you level to 70 and/or play the new zones if you DON'T spend real world cash (because they have said that you can't get the expansion with REX) to buy the XPAC ... or will it be like the other 2 expansions and you CAN level and get the content without paying IRL money?
    Hasnt this been answered enough?

You need the buy the expansion in order to access the new zones and level to 70.

Oh, and for the record, it doesn't matter to me, I'm already riding around on my white dragon. I'm wondering it is will be worth it for my wife, who plays VERY CASUALLY, as well as the many other people out there in my guilds who are wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretoi View Post
    Hasnt this been answered enough?

You need the buy the expansion in order to access the new zones and level to 70.
    Link to where this was said and who said it?

Rift Disciple

This was answered specificly in the livestream yesterday. You must buy the expac in order to access the new content and levels 66-70. The only new content you may have access to is items that can be sold on the AH(crafted gear, miscellaneous drops, crafted dimension keys, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Tirall View Post
    This was answered specificly in the livestream yesterday. You must buy the expac in order to access the new content and levels 66-70. The only new content you may have access to is items that can be sold on the AH(crafted gear, miscellaneous drops, crafted dimension keys, etc.).
    Ok. I never listen to live streams.

That is lame. Pretty much kills the game for casual players.

Personally, I wish that Trion would go BACK to a subscription based system, end all the in-game purchases, etc. instead of this hybrid garbage.

Is there a way to listen to past live streams? If so, link? I need to buy a new monitor and I think that listening to it will cause me to punch and break my old one.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 08-06-2016 at 05:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast