+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: If you don't buy SFP, can you still access the new zones and level to 70?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Proclus_Lycaeus View Post
    Ok. I never listen to live streams.

That is lame. Pretty much kills the game for casual players.

Personally, I wish that Trion would go BACK to a subscription based system, end all the in-game purchases, etc. instead of this hybrid garbage.

Is there a way to listen to past live streams? If so, link? I need to buy a new monitor and I think that listening to it will cause me to punch and break my old one.
    https://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/v/81967706

Rift starts about 1:12 into it.
    Last edited by Pretoi; 08-06-2016 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks. Watching now. Ordering new monitor in 60 minutes from Newegg to play Doom, Fallout 4, and other games.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Archonix also addressed why the shift now to a 'buy to play' policy, they tried giving away Expansions for free (Nightmare Tide, 5 new zones etc) and decided to charge people for stuff like earring slots and Planewalker: water.

Of course the entitled felt that as they got an Expansion for nothing they were entitled to get everything for nothing so they cried and cried about earrings.

This is now why it's back to paying for Expansions, don't want to pay? then you can't access the new shiny, it could have been a case of getting Starfall Prophecy for free, same as NT, and then charging for some other item to recoup the costs, guess Trion didn't want to have to deal with the rivers of tears again so here we are, pay up, get it all.

As I said, I'd rather pay $50 for an expansion and get it ALL for free after that. I can deal with getting it all for free, but constantly get nickeled and dime for this and that all the time (like it is now).

But it sounds like this is the WORST of both worlds. Have to buy the expansion and then still get nickled and dimed all the time.

Not impressed with the new model.

Rift Disciple

I have to agree that currently this looks like a bad deal for us.

I'm hoping for some changes to certain things like earrings, planewalker water (no reason to have that in game anymore) and some other things to make it more B2P and less B2P2W or whatever :P

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    ~
    People ***** and moan and whine and cry in every MMO, it is kind of an unspoken doctrine at this point. The difference is through the thick and thin, most 'valued' MMOs still manage to hold on to a respectable baseline subscriptions/players and any fluctuation typically functions as bonus value or negligible value. RIFT, on the other hand, has had a steady decline in #s, way past its baseline for sustenance. And despite their best intentions with this new model and expansion, unless they can get back to their baseline (which I highly doubt), then more things will be monetized - it won't be a "pay once, get all".

They should have done the GW2 model (which they are trying to establish now) long before the wretched F2P model, and the sheer outcry wasn't enough for them to stop and rethink their stance. Now it might be too late, or perhaps not so. At least for the first few months, there'll be slim pickings as Legion (costing the same, and $15 subscription v. patron [or buy for gold in game, just as with RIFT]), but once people tire of that, maybe they will retrace their steps here.
    Last edited by Solaxys; 08-06-2016 at 05:46 AM.

That is lame. Pretty much kills the game for casual players.
    I'm very curious why.
    Because, for a casual player like me (occasional pve\pvp\raid pugs, nothing hardcore, mostly playing for fluff and dimensions), the b2p xpac surely does not ruin anything. On the contrary, it only seems fair that those who want new shineys, quests, zones etc pay for the access. Nothing comes for free. You can be happily casual in the new zones, doing the new dungeons, trying out the new raids, crafting, quests, dimensions and everything that comes with it. You can as well stay 65 and play the game exactly the way you've been playing it before, especially if you're casual and not interested in new raids or being the bestest in pvp with lvl 70, all the shiny gear and legendary skills. No one is forcing you to buy the xpac to stay casual.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    I'm very curious why.
    Because, for a casual player like me (occasional pve\pvp\raid pugs, nothing hardcore, mostly playing for fluff and dimensions), the b2p xpac surely does not ruin anything. On the contrary, it only seems fair that those who want new shineys, quests, zones etc pay for the access. Nothing comes for free. You can be happily casual in the new zones, doing the new dungeons, trying out the new raids, crafting, quests, dimensions and everything that comes with it. You can as well stay 65 and play the game exactly the way you've been playing it before, especially if you're casual and not interested in new raids or being the bestest in pvp with lvl 70, all the shiny gear and legendary skills. No one is forcing you to buy the xpac to stay casual.
    See how far you get being a 65 when PUGs are calling for level 70s or down the road 75s or 80s ... and you are stuck at 65 with your old skills and classes, doing the same old content that you've beat into the ground for 2 years.

As far as PvP, see how much fun you have stuck at 65 as a casual player when you get beat into the ground by a level 70, 75, or 80 over and over again and there is realistically no way to kill them.

Etc.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 08-06-2016 at 06:01 AM.

See how far you get being a 65 when PUGs are calling for level 70s or down the road 75s or 80s ... and you are stuck at 65 with your old skills and classes, doing the same old content that you've beat into the ground for 2 years.
    Honestly, there is enough content for me to play even without the xpac, probably because
    1) I'm not one of those people who would rush through any new content as fast as they can and then spend months whining that there's nothing to do in game;
    2) I am actually playing all content that Rift has to offer, except maybe RP because I would be terrible at it.

So, there is always something for me to do when I log in, and whenever I'm tired of something, I just switch to something else and it's never boring. New content comes just in time when I want to try something new.

As for lvl 70 req - I am pretty sure it's gonna be exactly the way it is now with all the "1600 hit 300k dps all chieves" sort of req you see in channels - yes some people expect their group to meet all this req but there are still tons of pugs running well without them, and they're doing fine.

And in case you need to beat all the new content, be the best in pvp\raids and farm all this stuff until your eyes bleed - well, maybe you're not that casual after all. Either way buying a standard or deluxe edition for everything that this new expansion has to offer surely doesn't seem like a bad deal, in fact after I learned it's gonna be a b2p deal I expected it to cost more.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

I'd say that's pretty self explanatory, but again this was also confirmed on the livestream for people who were unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Heya,

I just wanted to answer this one definitively, since it's one we've seen a fair amount now. We have no plans to make the expansion available for credits at this time. The expansion represents 18 months of hard work by the RIFT team, and folks who want to take advantage of that and explore the amazing adventures in Starfall Prophecy need to support the team in making this massive chunk of content. There are plenty of other things available for credits, and credits are still a great way to get many things in RIFT, but Starfall Prophecy isn't one of them.
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5233183

That being said there are people with disposable income (which there are plenty of) are offering the expansion for in game plat. I have a friend in my guild (offer is for guild members only as there's already trust there) who is offering

6,500= Standard
    11,000= Deluxe

Just be careful if you take this route as you can possibly get scammed, but more often than not you can find trust worthy people to get you the expansion for some in game plat.

Edit: I've been getting a few tells about my guild member since this post. Unfortunately he's only offering to people within our guild. Sorry I can't help.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 08-08-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post

That being said there are people with disposable income (which there are plenty of) are offering the expansion for in game plat. I have a friend in my guild (offer is for guild members only as there's already trust there) who is offering

6,500= Standard
    11,000= Deluxe

Just be careful if you take this route as you can possibly get scammed, but more often than not you can find trust worthy people to get you the expansion for some in game plat.
    That`s cheap I couldn`t even get a standard version yet on EU for 35k P.

As far as PvP, see how much fun you have stuck at 65 as a casual player when you get beat into the ground by a level 70, 75, or 80 over and over again and there is realistically no way to kill them.
    Assuming they're actually going to fix bolstering and just give everyone the same stats, PvP should remain relatively unaffected. People without the expansion will be missing the legendary abilities, but there are already several strong builds around.
    Everything after Storm Legion was a mistake. ()

General of Telara

[QUOTE=quetesh;5233579]It takes money to pay the devs and the rest of the team - you can't properly fund a good quality game when only 15% of your players are spending money on the game.

As someone who works in the software development industry - I can tell you 'quality' comes from investment in the team.[/QUOTE

Which is exactly why this new approach won't work. If 15% of the players aren't spending $$ on the game, than only 15% would be buying the expansion. I mean if people didn't spend $$ before, at smaller increments, why would they shell out $40-$60 bucks?
    Last edited by swordkata; 08-06-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Korvac the conquerer.

[QUOTE=swordkata;5233656]
    Quote Originally Posted by quetesh View Post
    If 15% of the players are spending $$ on the game, than only 15% would be buying the expansion.
    Before this shift in policy to now charging for Expansions people didn't feel a need to spend much, if any money on Rift, you can play away quite happily for months and never spend a dime.

Now though if they want to stay 'current' they'll have to buy the Expansion or else run around Tarken Glacier at level 65 forever, if they do decide to leave Rift they'll face the same thing in "most" current F2P MMOs, eventually they'll have to buy an Expansion(s) and/or DLCs.

Thanks. Watching now. Ordering new monitor in 60 minutes from Newegg to play Doom, Fallout 4, and other games.
    why not just buy the xpack rather than spend 3x as much on a new monitor
    HotGarbage | Healer | PRIME

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast