+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 353
Like Tree349Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Why RIFT is going to die in 4.0 - compared to the big 3

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    49

    Default Why RIFT is going to die in 4.0 - compared to the big 3

    Hello. We all know that we lost a huge part of the playerbase since NTE began. However, this is undoubtedly the last nail in RIFT's coffin. Hear me out.

    Let's compare a little bit to the big 3:
    WoW - 15$ a month, 40$ xpacs. Around 4 mil players. Full access to everything
    Gw2 - 50$ once, then free forever. Half a million players. Cash shop only sells cosmetics. Full access to everything
    FFIV - 15$ a month. Half a million players. Full access to everything

    RIFT. 40$ xpac. Few thousand players. Full access to everything comes after paying 15$ a month for patron(which I'll explain in a second), and paying for souls.

    So far, RIFT looks like the worst game of these 4, with the highest cost of them all. Which unfortunately is true.

    Patron is nowadays a requirement, due to the 40% currency and ability to select which WF you want to queue for, which are both huge. You won't cap currency without patron, unless you spend an extra 40-50 hours a week. Per TOON.

    Problem is, RIFT has a cash shop too, selling raid gear. "Oh, but they don't sell BiS gear so it's cool!" - no, it's not. When MoM came out, they sold t2 gear on the store. On that day, even the maxed raiders from Apotheosys were full t2. So you could, indeed, buy the best gear out there, that hardcore people grinded months for it.

    So far, RIFT is buy2play, monthly sub and has a cash shop. "No tricks, no traps. Play for FREE" amirite?

    Why would anybody pay this much for a game, when there's better and cheaper games? The f2p community will never pay 40$ an xpac. I probably will. Maybe a thousand will. And then what? 1k players?

    This is EXACTLY why Lord of the Rings Online died. From pay monthly to freemium that had b2p+monthly sub("required")+ cash shop. Tbh lotro still has like 5x more players than RIFT, but that's only because duh, lord of the rings.


    Take our advice for once. Stop killing this awesome game. Make the xpac 40$. But remove gear from the cash shop. Remove the ****ing patron. No more paid souls from now on. Make RIFT great again!

    "Don't like, don't play." - this is the exact mentality which made RIFT lose 95% of it's playerbase on the course of one expansion.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raigoku View Post
    Hello. We all know that we lost a huge part of the playerbase since NTE began. However, this is undoubtedly the last nail in RIFT's coffin. Hear me out.

    Let's compare a little bit to the big 3:
    WoW - 15$ a month, 40$ xpacs. Around 4 mil players. Full access to everything
    Gw2 - 50$ once, then free forever. Half a million players. Cash shop only sells cosmetics. Full access to everything
    FFIV - 15$ a month. Half a million players. Full access to everything

    RIFT. 40$ xpac. Few thousand players. Full access to everything comes after paying 15$ a month for patron(which I'll explain in a second), and paying for souls.

    So far, RIFT looks like the worst game of these 4, with the highest cost of them all. Which unfortunately is true.

    Patron is nowadays a requirement, due to the 40% currency and ability to select which WF you want to queue for, which are both huge. You won't cap currency without patron, unless you spend an extra 40-50 hours a week. Per TOON.

    Problem is, RIFT has a cash shop too, selling raid gear. "Oh, but they don't sell BiS gear so it's cool!" - no, it's not. When MoM came out, they sold t2 gear on the store. On that day, even the maxed raiders from Apotheosys were full t2. So you could, indeed, buy the best gear out there, that hardcore people grinded months for it.

    So far, RIFT is buy2play, monthly sub and has a cash shop. "No tricks, no traps. Play for FREE" amirite?

    Why would anybody pay this much for a game, when there's better and cheaper games? The f2p community will never pay 40$ an xpac. I probably will. Maybe a thousand will. And then what? 1k players?

    This is EXACTLY why Lord of the Rings Online died. From pay monthly to freemium that had b2p+monthly sub("required")+ cash shop. Tbh lotro still has like 5x more players than RIFT, but that's only because duh, lord of the rings.


    Take our advice for once. Stop killing this awesome game. Make the xpac 40$. But remove gear from the cash shop. Remove the ****ing patron. No more paid souls from now on. Make RIFT great again!

    "Don't like, don't play." - this is the exact mentality which made RIFT lose 95% of it's playerbase on the course of one expansion.
    Few Thousand Players? If I had to estimate Rift is sitting at around 100k players on average. But its Free to Play so you can't really measure that. But its certainly more than a "few thousand". MMO's don't die. Even all these years later and with just 1 server. DAOC is still alive and kicking. EQ1 is still alive and kicking. Rift isn't gonna die.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  3. #3
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    Few Thousand Players? If I had to estimate Rift is sitting at around 100k players on average. But its Free to Play so you can't really measure that. But its certainly more than a "few thousand". MMO's don't die. Even all these years later and with just 1 server. DAOC is still alive and kicking. EQ1 is still alive and kicking. Rift isn't gonna die.
    If counting current active players, yes a few thousand is a good estimate, and that is NA and EU combined. Back then in the 1st week of the 5 year event it took a few days to fill up the ladder past 5k, after that they realized everyone is showing up and they limited it. So even at the big 5 year even there were prob barely over 10k-15k active palyers (cuse alts were up there as well).

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Isn't playerbase already so low atm? Wouldn't be surprice if it goes down even more with buy to play. But who knows let's wait and see whigh ace they have in their pocket for unveil.
    Personally waiting for raid information. I can promise not many will pay if raids are half broken and never been fixed for months and months just like how it turned in NT.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazier View Post
    Isn't playerbase already so low atm? Wouldn't be surprice if it goes down even more with buy to play. But who knows let's wait and see whigh ace they have in their pocket for unveil.
    Personally waiting for raid information. I can promise not many will pay if raids are half broken and never been fixed for months and months just like how it turned in NT.
    Raiding is honestly not relevant. A tiny tiny population of rift raids. They care more about other stuff being broken. Not saying its acceptable but this is true in every MMO. Raiding is always a very small percentage of the playerbase. Even the PVP playerbase is larger.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple SassyArcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    115

    Default

    WoW is not the best game to bring up; from my list in friends in Rift, many of them left WoW, and now just play Rift. I am personally surprised that people even play WoW, that game is so old, and the graphics look absolutely terrible compared to Rifts! Not only that, but it's subscription based, and it's totally not worth it. "Full access" for crap, but you support the games that you like playing. You are mentioning games that we all know about, but you play and support the games that you enjoy, right?
    Last edited by SassyArcher; 08-05-2016 at 01:29 AM.

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SassyArcher View Post
    WoW is not the best game to bring up; from my list in friends in Rift, many of them left WoW, and now just play Rift. I am personally surprised that people even play WoW, that game is so old, and the graphics look absolutely terrible compared to Rifts! Not only that, but it's subscription based, and it's totally not worth it. "Full access" for crap, but you support the games that you like playing. You are mentioning games that we all know about, but you play and support the games that you enjoy, right?
    Agree wow is old and bad, but it's still a very relevant mmorpg to bring up. And yes we support the games we love amd enjoy, but it's become very hard to enjoy rift, cuz all my friends left due to Trion decisions. Logging in an literally having nobody left fills me with sadness and loneliness.

  8. #8
    Ascendant DarkDaemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raigoku View Post
    RIFT. 40$ xpac. Few thousand players. Full access to everything comes after paying 15$ a month for patron(which I'll explain in a second), and paying for souls.
    Patron is required? Absolutely not true. I've had patron on and off since Nightmare Tide release (I don't have it now), and although it's certainly very usefuL and convenient, it wasn't a game breaker in my raiding progression. Back in Trinity, we didn't require that our raiders have patron for marks during the progression race. Armor pieces don't make or break dps.

    There were periods of time during every tier that I didn't have patron, and I still kept up.

    The bonuses to marks and marks cap don't even matter for current tier content anymore.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 08-05-2016 at 02:04 AM.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    42

    Default

    There are tons of others problems,crash from loadng screens,server crash,low fps poor optimization on high end computers, multicore is lie marketing propaganda,pvp is DEAD, lockboxes lottery,low level content is killed by IA,chat in game is unbearable to watch,Rift is now regular P2W which Trion always wanted.
    Last edited by upgradeyd; 08-05-2016 at 02:07 AM.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raigoku View Post
    WoW - 15$ a month, 40$ xpacs. Around 4 mil players. Full access to everything
    Gw2 - 50$ once, then free forever. Half a million players. Cash shop only sells cosmetics. Full access to everything
    You can buy top iLvL gear from AH. Once you hit lv100 you can get "full raid" gear in 5 min! Why do you think players sell tokens in AH?

    Update: WoW only had 1.3-2 mil subs before patch 7.0. HAD! Because now they removed the gold missions from their FB game, I mean garrison and most players that were buying the sub with gold quit. Most of they subscribers just logged in to collect garrison gold. I suspect their current sub is well under 1 mil now. Also the expansion costs 50$ plus another 75-90$ until for subs until the end game is unlocked.

    WoW Legion added that "Artifact weapon" that's basically an extension of the character XP that has to level up by playing the game. This means WoW killed alts as they won't be able to "equip" new weapons and the leveling of the weapon will take +1.5 years so it lasts over the entire expansion.

    Gw2. I play this game too(because it doesn't have a sub to quit). You can sell crystals for gold then use the old to buy anything you want from AH. You can buy Legendary weapons, Ascended Armour, anything you want.

    Both Gw2 and Rift are ok for be because they don't force me to buy a subscription.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker Renas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4

    Default

    My biggest issue is the standard one is 40$. Will there be a basic version closer to release that just gives you access to starfall? I wouldn't mind paying like 20$ just for the access to 70 and starfall content. The preorder bonus tokens, title, and 65 boost not something that interests me. Hopefully there is another cheaper option for access at release. Mostly this issue is due to needing 2 copies of starfall. Paying 80$ for it total just not worth it.

  12. #12
    Rift Master notawaifu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Is there even going to be $40 worth of content is what you should ask.

  13. #13
    Sword of Telara Dizbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raigoku View Post
    <snip>
    Gw2 - 50$ once, then free forever. Half a million players. Cash shop only sells cosmetics. Full access to everything<snip>
    --
    Err.. I respectfully disagree.

    Heart of Thorns XPac
    Has separate price tags to access the new content [Basic/Deluxe/Ultimate- $49.99/$74.99/$99.99usd].
    I can't find where GW2 says future Xpacs will not have a separate price tag.

    Cash Shop- The Moneymaker
    Want to change the look of your wardrobe? Buy transmutation stones from the cash shop.
    Yes, you can grind gold for gems, but if you don't have the time... see list below.

    This list may be out of date
    Last edited by Dizbo; 08-05-2016 at 02:46 AM.

  14. #14
    Sword of Telara Dizbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tean View Post
    <snip>Gw2. I play this game too(because it doesn't have a sub to quit). You can sell crystals for gold then use the old to buy anything you want from AH. You can buy Legendary weapons, Ascended Armour, anything you want.

    Both Gw2 and Rift are ok for be because they don't force me to buy a subscription.
    ---
    Um. You can't "buy" Legendary weapons or Ascended Armor. They are either lucky "drops" or a major undertaking to craft. Think you meant Precursor items.

    Also, you can't access the current raid content without the Xpac Heart of Thrones.
    ------
    Let's watch today's Livestream and see what it's about.
    Last edited by Dizbo; 08-05-2016 at 02:47 AM.

  15. #15
    Shield of Telara C00lit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    733

    Default

    I actually agree Raigoku, the cost of RiFT these days is high compared to other MMO's if you want to have a fully unlocked game.

    WoW has the battle chest which is a cheap way to get all the previous xpacs (9.99 in the UK). I'm sure RiFT would attract many more new and returning players if it had something like this for souls. Alternatively making the souls / class a perk for subscribing would be a good move too.

    Heck I remember when I first played RiFT it was cheaper than WoW in every way, that's simply not the case anymore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts