+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT worth playing / returning? - Guide

Default RIFT worth playing / returning? - Guide

This guide is currently out of date. The information from it is still useful if you want to do anything listed below for achievement and or wardrobe purposes. I chose not to edit this one for that reason and instead created a new updated version of it which i'll be adding and editing throughout the coming weeks/months to keep people as updated as possible. Direct yourself over to http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ing-guide.html

Is RiFT pay to win?

We'll go ahead and get this one out of the way right off the bat. The short answer is no and let me explain why. The general pay to win definition is if you're able to buy anything that gives you a specific advantage in any level of the game over someone who doesn't buy or pay for the game. Credits and the store were introduced shortly after the first expansion's “Storm Legion” launched. These two things also came with an in game item called REX (Rift Exchange) that can be consumed and converted into credits on your account. This item can be purchased on the store with real money and then sold in game for platinum. There are always going to be people who will pay real money for any game because they either don't have enough time to commit to do regular grinds, but do have disposable income they're willing to spend or simply because they're just too lazy.

This creates its own economy for the game allowing anyone to play for completely free if they put in the work and choose to do so. A lot of what can be purchased in the store including subscriptions (patron) are there for convenience and in no way required to access all RIFT's content. People will argue that souls and or new callings are required which you can only purchase with credits, but because REX exists you're still in no way required to use real money if you want to put in the work to get them for free. This goes for anything on the shop including the debated earring slots.

Any money you decide to put in the game at this current point in time and even for the past couple of years should be considered supporting the game and supporting future content.

Is RIFT worth playing / returning to?

This question can be a little difficult for anyone to answer because the opinions will vary pretty significantly from person to person. It all boils down to what you want to do with your time in the game as the are a multitude of activities which is one of the great things about RIFT.

If you're more casual with gaming then you can look into Dimensions, artifact/achievement hunting, PvPing, questing, lore, chronicles, wardrobing. Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Now I only mentioned PvP in there because generally speaking you can commit yourself to it on your own time and there aren't any set schedules or big grinds to do to get into it like there is with raiding. Please don't take offense PvPers!

When it comes to end game raiding like with any game it's going to take a bit more grinding and gearing up and some pretty big chunks of time commitments if you want to go down this route. If you're more casual, but would still like to raid at some point then there are some pick up groups out there that may fit your needs and not as strict with requirements, but keep in mind that may not be as progress as other full time raiding guilds out there.

What kind of classes exist and what changes have been made if I am just coming back to the game?

In an ideal world I would just post all of the specific changes here, but you should put in a little work by clicking some of the links below. Always check when threads / guides were last edited to see if they're up to date.

Warrior Guides
    Warrior Discussions

Mage Guides
    Mage Discussions

Cleric Guides
    Cleric Discussions

Rogue Guides
    Rogue Discussions

Primalist Guides
    Primalist Discussions

What do I need to do and where do I need to go in order to catch up?

This section shouldn't really matter if you're just starting out or just coming back, but if you do plan on raiding then you'll likely want to catch up on current Tier content which is what this section will be about. For the most part getting into a new Tier means getting the required hit for it. By the time you get that hit you should have the appropriate stats by then anyway along with runes ect. Lets start with what each tier of gear is categorically and what it has to offer.

Tier 1 – Frost Keepers 150 Hit Pieces
    Tier 2 – Drowned Prophets 175 Hit Pieces
    Tier 3 – Nightmare 200 Hit Pieces

Tier 1 Raids – (20man) Mount Sharax (10 man) Rhen of Fate (20man) Tyrant's Forge
    Tier 2 Raids – (20man) Hammerknell (10man) Intrepid: Gilded Prophecy
    Tier Raids – (20man) Mind of Madness (10man) Comet of Akhnket

Now that you know what each tier is and what pieces it has to offer lets go ahead and jump into what's the best way to gear up and catch up to the current tier that most people are raiding or wanting to raid right now which is currently T3 Mind of Madness. If you want to speed up the process significantly you can craft a helm and chest piece (you'll need to research this yourself) that upgrade with void stones to 150 Hit pieces which will save you some time and marks for other things. If you can get someone to carry you through IGP 10man that will also speed things up.

Save all of your Abyssal Crusader's Marks for Tier 1 filler pieces as they're cheap to get. Use them on Frost Keeper's Shoulders, belt and boots.

Save all of your fragments of Madness for Tier 2 Drowned Prophet hit pieces like your helmet, gloves and pants.

While you're grinding out your the first 2 sets of marks / gear you'll automatically be building up the third “Fragments of Darkness” for Tier 3 Pieces. You can save them for whatever piece you would like.
    Note: If you're a patron there is a new monthly quest to collect sparkles from Zones events, random dungeons / warfronts and some of the weeklies. You can also mentor down do lower level zones and still get sparkles so keep that in mind if you really want to dig into farming them. Upon completion you will receive a cache that will award you any random T3 piece of gear including accessories, but excluding weapons. This will also help the gearing process quite a bit as a bonus.

Grinding the marks

This is where both returning and new players tend to get lost as the information which normally isn't as available as people would like it to be can be very overwhelming. Thee fastest way to grind out marks outside of raiding is to do all of your weekly quests, random dungeons, random warfronts and chronicles.. Below you will see a spreadsheet I made that tells you how many marks you get from each quest and set of random dungeons / warfronts.

Note: The 10% and 15% loyalty maps do NOT stack with each other. When you move up in loyalty you will start with the 10% Map and it will simply increase to 15% when you get the new one. The Silver Tier 5% map stacks with anyone in your raid and stack with any loyalty maps and any other % bonuses you have on. Patron bonus totals are in white which you would add on to any of the weeklies you do listed. Keep in mind that all of the totals and numbers you see on the spreadsheet are the base amount. I made the list assuming people don't have loyalty or patron which is why I provided the % bonuses which you can add up yourself. Here is a percentage calculator if you're lazy like me http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math...calculator.htm

- The "X's" in the spreadsheet above are basically check marks to show which maps and bonuses afffect mark increases and the spots without an "X" are not affected by them. Bonuses usually will never work on current tier content.
    - Lockbox set bonus gear – You have a random chance to get gear from lockboxes that will have currency and noteriety set bonuses. These have been included on the list upon request in the event that you do happen to have them.

You will always want to do your dungeons, warfronts and chronicles, but as for which weeklies to do I would say the bare minimum (which is what I usually do myself) would be the 4 Planetouched Wilds + 4 of the other miscellaneous other weeklies:

- Baac Off
    - Planes Gone Wild
    - Tyrant of the wilds
    - The Five Kanhs
    - Five If By Sea
    - Spirit of the Adventure
    - War across the Sea

Note: The best day to get the PTW weeklies done are on Wednesday (reset day) and Thursday and most people will rush to get them done and out of the way for the rest of the week.
    I'll be listing out explanations for each quest and what to do / where to go with maps in case you want to do all of them to maximize your Fragments of Darkness for T3 per week.

Planes gone Wild

Close 10 Rifts in PTW - People will usually post in crossevents for crafting lures so that you have the benefit of doing the weekly and getting free crafting mats on top of it. Some will require a crafting lure from you and others may not. Just keep your eyes peeled in crossevents.

Baac Off

Kill 15 Elites which people usually do solo, but if you need help just look in crossevents or ask someone if you see them near by or in guild if you're in one.

Tyrant of the Wilds

Kill a giant elite T-rex out in the planetouched wilds. It usually takes 1-2 raids groups. If you're lucky enough to see a group doing it you can also just tag it (100k dmg required) to get credit. The same goes for any of these kill quests.

The Five Kanhs

This is the one that changes from week to week. It'll rotate between 3-4 mini bosses that are a little bit weaker than Tyant, but still require a full raid to kill. The locations are all different too, but people will usually run this one and Tyrant's at the same time so they should be able to summon you. You at least know where Tyrant is located.
    The Five Kanhs
    The Five Kanhs
    The Five Kanhs
    The Five Kanhs
    The Five Kanhs
    Thanks to Meteorblade.

Five If By Sea

This is the raid rift weekly. You have to loot a quest item from the boxes that drop once the rift is completed and you'll need 5 total. Always make sure you loot the chest before moving onto the next one since people usually forget and end up having to do extra ones. The place area to do this is marked on the map below. People will always do them in that spot because there's a graveyard right next to it and in the event that a bunch of people die, you can just keep respawning and rejoining the fight.

Spirit of the Adventure

Complete 30 Instant Adventures

War Across the Sea

All you have to do for this one is tag zone events. You either kill 3 packs of invasions (packs = 1 big guy + 2 little guys that always run together so 3 of those packs total) or you simply tag the boss. Once you get the tag you can look for another shard to hop over to and an event and tag another. Link to the even tracker below. (only check on Nightmare Tide) http://www.rifteventtracker.com/events/us/en

Aquias Avenger

This is basically the nightmare tide version of onslaughts. You will see onslaught locations (refer to map) through the plane of water and you have to defend against 20 invasions and kill 1 commander. The commander will only spawn after a certain number of invasions come out so you need to be quick with the tag. Most people tend to skip this one as it used to be much more tedious and frustrating to do, but has since been changed. It's always best to do this with a group if you can find one in cross events.

Reputation / Noteriety
    Whatever you would like to refer to it as - Focus on getting Decorated with Pelagic order first. You can accomplish this by close 10 regular rifts out in goboro rift with a noteriety vial on or you might have to close a few extra without. This just allows you to by the class crystals.

After that's done focus on Atragarian for your neck rune. Pelagic order does give earring runes, but there are new craftable runes out as well so save your plat for those as they might be a bit pricey, but still worth it since it's 1 less rep to grind out.

Manugo you'll get from just running experts and looting the manugo consumable from the chest at the end.

Lastly it's up to you whether you want to grind out Ghar or or Shal Korva. Ghar rep also gives you access to essences, but you also needed TONS of Nightmare rift achievements as a secondary unlock. It's worth it, but it's also something to aim for after you've caught up content wise. Shal Korva is just from questing and doing the weeklies in planetouched wilds.

The best way grind out any of the reps are to do chronicles as they let you pick from multiple reps at the end. 7 chronicles are also worth doing for marks which I forgot to mention in the guide above so you'll want to do these as well. There's also an event earring out right now that you definitely want to pick up which i'll explain in the section below.

[More to come along the way]
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 01-07-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Before we get started on the stat priorities and runes it's important to go over a few things. Runes and your weapons will always be the biggest Dps boosts compared to gear, but knowing your specs and rotations is far more important and a far bigger gain than even that.

Correct Specs > Rotations > Gear

A lot of people come into Rift from WoW and while there are a lot of similarities, they hit a brick wall when it comes to the learning curve in Rift. There are a multitude of different specs to use for different fights and situations and a far bigger amount of abilities and skills in comparison. It's extremely important that you research your class well and practice the rotations. There's a lot of addons to help with this which i'll list at the bottom of this section. As a guild and raid leader myself I can speak from experience that being flexible is really important and an asset to any raiding guild. Being extremely good at one role is great, but being great at only one spec is not. Warrior Example: If you declare that you're main role is DPS and can play the specs that are usually required for raids – Reaver (cleave range), Tempest (ST burst range), Riftblade (Melee Cleave) and Paragon (ST melee) ect then that's great as long as you can play them all at a decent skill level. What's not great is declaring main role dps and only being able to play reaver. There are different degrees of flexibility for each role and the more you know, the better off you'll be when raiding.

On a last note there's no such thing as “i'm using my own spec” when it comes to raiding. There are people on these forums who for the most part are much better at theory crafting than you (and better than me of course) who have already put in a lot of work to make up to date guides for everyone. If you build a spec, put it through the class forums first before you bring it to a raid or there's a high chance you'll just be dead weight.

Stat Priorities

The general rule for every class is to get your work on your crit power and get it to the soft Cap which is 2985 pre-raid buffed. Anymore than that and you'll start taking diminishing returns in raid. Now the best way to do this is to PvP and go for the essences, accessories and cape as they all have extremely high amount of crit power. Those alone should get you where you need to be which allows you to better itemize your stats later on as you'll be able to go for vendor pieces and swap between attack power and spell power accordingly. You want to go for the pieces with the highest main stat and Crit power like the example below. If the endurance is higher than the rest then you can scrap them or use them. The same goes for the accessories and capes too.

Runes

Feel free to let me know if there's any I missed. I listed the tanking runes in their own list as they're the same for every class. The Rep runes were already listed on the first page above this so I didn't feel the need to list those as well. The alternative crafted runes to the Onir ones will also be listed below.

Warrior

Cleric

Mage

Rogue / Primalist

Tanking

Alternative Crafted Earring Runes

Dream Orbs
    If anyone knows an updated list and or who created this one so I can give them credited feel free to let me know in the comments: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jn8/edit#gid=0

Addons
    KaruulAlert - http://mods.curse.com/addons/rift/karuulalert
    King Boss Mods - Looking for the most up to date version first.
    RaidCoolDowns - http://mods.curse.com/addons/rift/raidcooldowns
    Riftmater - http://mods.curse.com/addons/rift/rift-meter
    ACT (Advanced Combat Tracker - http://advancedcombattracker.com/ (Get this if you want the most accurate)

I believe there are also alternatives to most of these that you can use if you prefer not to use these specific ones.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 06-15-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ral View Post
    You should also include the 15% Bonus Currency passive from patron and 10% token bonus on helm/shoulder/chest box gear synergy.
    Added in the lockbox gear set bonus as requested and added in a noteriety section.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 05-21-2016 at 02:05 AM.

Rift Chaser

Outstanding job!

Ral
    Rift Master

You should also include the 15% Bonus Currency passive from patron and 10% token bonus on helm/shoulder/chest box gear synergy.

Thumbs up I cannot like this post enough

If I could "Report" you to Trion for something GOOD, this would be the time!
    SailorMoonNY@Wolfsbane. All Rogue, All the Time!

Great job!

You could mention the focus of destruction/aggression/defense too, which don't require notoriety but have far heftier mark costs.

Very helpful.

Thank you for this!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbringer12 View Post
    Is RiFT pay to win?

We'll go ahead and get this one out of the way right off the bat. The short answer is no and let me explain why. The general pay to win definition is if you're able to buy anything that gives you a specific advantage in any level of the game over someone who doesn't buy or pay for the game.
    But doesn't them adding the tier 3 raid set in the store fall under the very definition of pay to win?
    Last edited by Laraninni; 05-21-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laraninni View Post
    But doesn't them adding the tier 3 raid set in the store fall under the very definition of pay to win?
    No. The tier 3 gear is no longer best in slot with Comet of Ahnket out which supposedly drops everything - Armor, accessories, trinkets and weapons.

Look at all that grind

The general pay to win definition is if you're able to buy anything that gives you a specific advantage in any level of the game over someone who doesn't buy or pay for the game.
    No. The tier 3 gear is no longer best in slot with Comet of Ahnket out which supposedly drops everything - Armor, accessories, trinkets and weapons.
    So, you don't consider being able to get instantly to 1575 hit (full T3 armour + weapons) by using a credit card an advantage over people having to spend 4-6 months grinding out FODs for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    So, you don't consider being able to get instantly to 1575 hit (full T3 armour + weapons) by using a credit card an advantage over people having to spend 4-6 months grinding out FODs for it?
    No - None of what you can currently buy is best in slot anymore. Everything out of comet of Ahnket is. You have to raid in order to get that gear as you won't find any of it on the store even for marks. Now if they put comet of ahnket gear up on the store then sure. It'd be 100% pay to win, but that's not the case and never has been for each tier accordingly.

I understand what you're getting at. You're gripe is more with the fact that someone can get gear faster than someone who actually grinds it out, but keep in mind that it does not take 4-6 months to get into T3 or even into Comet of Ahnket which has the same hit requirements. Most of the people who have the time to play Rift already had that gear and then some by the time it was put on the store. The people who didn't have the time now have the option to catch up to their friends and guilds.

You cherry picked a piece of my statement to show that it's somehow pay to win, but the bottom line is that being able to buy gear from old content in no way gives you an advantage over anyone who earns their gear through marks and or raiding or anyone who already has for that matter. This will be the only time I'll debate it in this thread as there are other places where you can make your arguments for it. If you have any requests for the guide itself in regard to portions of the game you'd like to know more about if you were in a new players shoes or returning then i'll be more than happy to.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 05-23-2016 at 03:14 AM.

Ascendant

These two things also came with an in game item called REX (Rift Exchange) that can be consumed and converted into credits on your account.... This creates its own economy for the game allowing anyone to play for completely free if they put in the work and choose to do so.
    Any new or returning player should take a look at their shard's auction house for the current REX prices, so that they can decide for themselves if there really is a way to "play for completely free". Personally I find the idea absurd that someone who just returned to the game would spend months and months of their play time for nothing but grinding plat to buy REX (especially on EU where the REX price is ~4000 plat).

Apart from that your post holds a lot of good information; maybe you should not have opened this P2W can of worms at all.

If you have any requests for the guide itself in regard to portions of the game you'd like to know more about if you were in a new players shoes or returning then i'll be more than happy to.
    Okay, sure.

The weekly for five raid rifts is called Five If By Sea, not Five by the Sea.

Your map location for the best spot to do Sea of Ladon is wrong. The area you have on your map is where a normal tear / rift appears. Here's a map of where the raid tear appears and a route to get to it (in case you're opening it yourself, or not being summoned there)...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast