+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT worth playing / returning? - Guide

looked at your currency layout. thats if you want to pay to play a free game. I played since release. i uninstalled last week because after doing 2 diff events where i did EVERYTHING DAILY, i still came up short and was told: if you want to get the events completed on time and not have to wait, get patron. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY FOR A REWARD ANYTHING? Not to mention EVERYTHING worth while is put in boxes that cost 10$ each and still have a 1% drop rate for the item you want.

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Temara View Post
    looked at your currency layout. thats if you want to pay to play a free game. I played since release. i uninstalled last week because after doing 2 diff events where i did EVERYTHING DAILY, i still came up short and was told: if you want to get the events completed on time and not have to wait, get patron. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY FOR A REWARD ANYTHING? Not to mention EVERYTHING worth while is put in boxes that cost 10$ each and still have a 1% drop rate for the item you want.
    I'm sorry to hear that. The currency sheet shows you exactly how much you'll get with or without patron, but you'll have to add up those totals yourself depending on if you do or don't have any of the bonuses. If you're not completing events or quests on time then it's simply because you're not completing them before they reset, Getting patron only gives you percentage boosts to make currency grinds easier, but aren't at all required.

In regard to lockboxes there are certainly quite a few nice things in them, but it's not anything you can't already get by other means. They're just in there as a free bonus if you're lucky enough to get them. Remember that if you're going for mounts to always buy it from someone else lucky enough to get one. Like you said the chance is extremely low for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    As an avid RIFT player myself, i love the game WAY more now than when I first played it at launch.
    I only wish that I had had the time to put in words what Chaosbringer12 has done here. This is probably the best guide for returning players that I have seen for any game, ever.

Stickied. I'd dip it in gold and keep it on my shelf if I could.
    Bravo, CB, and THANK YOU, on behalf of everyone who ever considered coming back to RIFT.
    ~Brasse
    Thank you very much for stickying (I don't think that's a word) my thread and for everyone who supported that decision. The main reason I made the thread was because a lot of this information isn't available without heavily digging through the forums which honestly the majority of people don't like to do or by actually playing the game. I've been playing and running my own guild since beta so I've had time to accumulate a lot of this information to put in one place for people. Now i know my opening statement will always continue to be heavily debated, but not matter much it boarders on pay to win at times it simply isn't. I saw people asking whether or not the game was worth playing for the first time or returning to after a break and while there have been plenty of thought out and informative comments / opinions, there was also a lot of immediate replies of "it's pay to win" "trion only cares about money" ect. Most of you have heard and read them all by now.

I felt it was best to tackle that issue right off the bat so that anyone interested in playing could either read into it some more in other threads specifically made for that debate or they could continue reading on how to catch up. Most of it comes down to what each individual is interested in doing with their time no matter how much of it they have to spend on it. Now as much as I like RIFT and want to see new players that doesn't mean I support every decision they've ever made. You can feel free to dig through some of my posts to see some of those opinions if you wish to, but at the end of the day despite those concerns I still have enjoyed the game and continue to. I hope to see some more improvements and news to come in the following months. Drop us more hints about the next plane!

Once again,
    Thank you

Telaran

Great summary of equipment needs, even for long time casual players such as myself. One request I would ask is a link or summary of what is needed for Attack Power/ Physical Crit/ Crit Power, Spell Power/ Spell Crit/ Crit Power. Soft cap vs. Hard cap. What is realistic for casual players? When I went to look at the gear and upgrade path's, it would be great to know which piece to upgrade for which stats, and what is the best total to achieve for each. If there is already a guide for that, please someone link it.

Thanks again!

Rift Chaser

Congratulations Chaosbringer12. I just wish that there was a way to delete the snarky comments and focus just on the guide as you intended.

Default Really?

I like how OP doesn't take grinding into account :P How if a person want to catch up 100% to the other raiders in this expansion... Asumming he can play 14 hours a day he might be done by end of next expansion...

Quote Originally Posted by Aksinan View Post
    I like how OP doesn't take grinding into account :P How if a person want to catch up 100% to the other raiders in this expansion... Asumming he can play 14 hours a day he might be done by end of next expansion...
    I don't list every single persons situation on time because I can't. Naturally if you don't have a lot of time to spend grinding in game then it's going to take you longer to get into T3 which is the goal of this guide. Eventually you will be in Full T3 gear, but this is to get you up to the requirements of raiding that content.Taking until the end of this expansion to get into T3 is quite the exaggeration such as the 4-6 months mentioned before. If you're dealing with extreme time constraints then maybe that's possible in which case you might not want to worry about raiding. Those who do will catch up either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbringer12 View Post
    I don't list every single persons situation on time because I can't. Naturally if you don't have a lot of time to spend grinding in game then it's going to take you longer to get into T3 which is the goal of this guide. Eventually you will be in Full T3 gear, but this is to get you up to the requirements of raiding that content.Taking until the end of this expansion to get into T3 is quite the exaggeration such as the 4-6 months mentioned before. If you're dealing with extreme time constraints then maybe that's possible in which case you might not want to worry about raiding. Those who do will catch up either way though.
    Well that is assuming that you have a whole raid guild that can do all the roles you can't
    So things that you need:
    Earring slots : FARM and we are not talking 4-8hours off farm here
    Extra role slots: Yes... If you want to contribute to a raid guild and not just get carried you need alot.

Soul pack 1: Not needed for all classes but most. Again if you want to raid with people and
    not bring them down you need this. And that is another few months of gold farming.

Soul pack 2: Again see above.

Rep grind. To get the best runes you need to grind rep. And since you need so many factions to begin with the fact that you don't have patron to get rep boosts is a killer.

Getting a seal: Like are you kidding me... Yeah there is alot of time.

Nightmare rifts? Getting all off them now takes time. Alot and alot of time.

Getting fully Runed up on your T3 gear. This costs ALOT of money so much that the guild who had the most awesome alt run off all time gave it up because they couldn't afford to rune up 2 character. You need this. WHILE needing that gold for all the above things.

I have forgotten loads off things but the conclusion is that 4-6months to catch up might be pretty accurate.

So in conclution. Am I just hating on the game? Do I think it is horrible and sucks and all that?

No I don't
    I think Rift does alot of things right like the raids like the soul system.

But sitting there pretending that this game isn't grindy if you are free to play?
    Please I used to spend about 8-10 hours A DAY in game. So much that I had to give up every other game I played. And that was with patron and buying all the soul packs for money.
    Last edited by Aksinan; 05-26-2016 at 01:19 AM.

Well, I've tried returning several times, do some dungeons, catch up to the raid part (tried again when the nightmare tide released, played for some months), but for some reason I quit again. I guess its just the same over and over with just higher level. Dont get me wrong: I love Rift, especially when it first launched (hammerknell was just the best raid ever). I think I'll wait for next expansion and see what it brings to the table or something #riftbeliever
    Rift: 38/42
    Rift - Storm Legion: 21/29

Telaran

Damn this is probably one of the best/most informational posts Ive ever seen on this forum. Honestly trion should publish this somewhere on their site so it dosent get buried under all the other posts.
    twitch.tv/nericu <--- Streams rift occasionally, mostly MC though =p

Quote Originally Posted by Nericu View Post
    Damn this is probably one of the best/most informational posts Ive ever seen on this forum. Honestly trion should publish this somewhere on their site so it dosent get buried under all the other posts.
    They did. Sadly.
    Sadly because it makes them belive that there is nothing wrong with the insane amount of framing that has to be done to truly catch up in this expansion

Game is great but to think that with a few hours of gameplay you can catchup and raid with the rest!!

Just a sample of the rune list I've been working on, but before I eventually post it I just want to make sure i'm not missing any slots. I'll likely add in rep runes as well of course so feel free to let me know if I am. I don't want to post an incomplete list.

Edit: fixed the values on Spell crit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIFT worth playing / returning? - Guide-cleric-runes.jpg  
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 05-27-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbringer12 View Post
    Just a sample of the rune list I've been working on, but before I eventually post it I just want to make sure i'm not missing any slots.
    Don't forget that some slots have a choice of runes.
    Seals can have Ghar or Shal Korva runes.
    Earrings can have Onir or planar crafted runes.

Also, in the example you posted, you've only listed runes that are applicable to DPS/healing. Some of us play tanks so you'd need to list those too. Tanking runes are exactly the same for all classes as they're either pure endurance, or endurance + guard, depending on slot.
    Last edited by Meteorblade; 05-28-2016 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearnada View Post
    One request I would ask is a link or summary of what is needed for Attack Power/ Physical Crit/ Crit Power, Spell Power/ Spell Crit/ Crit Power. Soft cap vs. Hard cap. What is realistic for casual players?
    The OP is free to snaffle this information for his first post if he so wishes...

The Crit Power soft cap is 40%.

After the soft cap additional CP will give diminishing returns, i.e. CP gained whilst at or over the cap is worth less than whilst under it. Once you're at, or around, the soft cap take gear that gives you AP/SP or PhysCrit/SpellCrit depending on your build / specs.

Some soul-specific talents can take you above the soft-cap but do not factor those into your gear choices as you won't always be in that particular spec.

The 40% CP soft cap equates to a CP rating of around 3213 or 3214.

In a raid setting you assume two other things...

You will have eaten a Feast of the Rhenke, which adds a static 49CP rating.

You will have sigils (guild perk) running which increases your CP by 3%.

This means you should aim for a CP rating on your gear of 2985 because (1.03 * 2985) + 49 >= 3124, i.e. you'll be CP soft-capped in raid.

Soul-specific talents that take you over this are still beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    Don't forget that some slots have a choice of runes.
    Seals can have Ghar or Shal Korva runes.
    Earrings can have Onir or planar crafted runes.

Also, in the example you posted, you've only listed runes that are applicable to DPS/healing. Some of us play tanks so you'd need to list those too. Tanking runes are exactly the same for all classes as they're either pure endurance, or endurance + guard, depending on slot.
    Like I said I would be adding those things as well. I was rounding up dps runes first as I main tank so I don't know them all off the top of my head so I just wanted to be sure I got them all. I'll be addressing stats as in my post as well when I get around to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast