Closed Thread
Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: PvP/PvE Activity Overlap

Default PvP/PvE Activity Overlap

Hi, everyone.

One of the things that got a lot of testing during the most recent beta was the amount of PvP and PvE overlap that people would be experiencing on both PvP and PvE servers. If you played through Scarlet Gorge, you know that's a great place to see how social dynamics play out.

We like the idea of PvE people being able to progress as they expect, and we also like the idea of PvP objectives for those who choose to take part.

Fortunately, both of those activities have a place in Rift.

For PvE content: We'll be implementing some changes to PvE quest areas to lower the likelihood of griefing via blocking the opposing side's PvE progression.

• Wardstones in Quest Camps aren't supposed to be attackable targets, or provide rewards for defeating them. The rewards on those were a bug that's been addressed. Those are part of the PvE land control game of rifts and invasions.

• Guard AI behavior was a little less smart than it should have been. We're improving it such that guards behave much more like an NPC bearing that name would be expected to.

• Guards in PvE areas will prove to be considerably more challenging vs. player targets. They still provide a similar challenge to PvE invasions, but now will be much harder in PvP. We'll be tuning this over time. Expect to see some first balance out during the next beta.

• The Porticulum Masters in particular have enlisted the help of the Portal Defense Force. When they're attacked in PvP, you can expect them to put out a call for help over the planar Porticulum network.

For PvP gameplay:

• Expect additional PvP takeover areas across Telara. There are differently-themed, cool-looking wardstones clearly displayed as PvP targets, down to the faction inscriptions on the side. You can see examples of these PvP objectives in Scarlet Gorge.

• To help out with the spawn camping that was occurring in the shared world, Peace of the Grave (the buff granted when choosing to respawn in a graveyard) will now protect you from PvP attacks for 30 seconds, or until you take your first offensive action.

We do enjoy being able to provide gameplay for people who are fans of both types of activities.

At the places where those interests cross over into griefing in one direction or the other, please do expect us to continue tuning to ensure that the griefing potential is kept to a minimum.

- The RIFT Development Team

thank you

Plane Touched

Firs -- no, whether it's true or not, I've got more self-respect than that.

These sound like cool changes for the better, I look forward to seeing how they shake out.

I think in the last beta stage, a number of PvPers specifically attacked the PvE areas not completely to grief the noobs so much as to point out this was a critical flaw the needed to be addressed.

Now, how about turning off those despawning footholds I've heard so much about? ;)
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-02-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Finally, we'll be rid of the hundreds of threads asking for this.

Also like the PvP changes
    Ktperry, 50 Dwarf Marksman

Much appreciated.
    "Live By The Sword, Die By The Sword"

Shield of Telara

Very nice !!

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

Sounds quite awesome.

I hope the Ancient Wardstone system is really expanded, and we can get the inclusion of a "Relic"-like effect from them, from DAOC.. maybe even Darkness Falls-esque zone control for having x amount in the world taken at any time.

There is so much they can do with it, and I hope we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Awesome changes!

Shadowlander

Maybe we'll stop seeing all those posts about no one from Trion reading the forums

Banned

Very cool. Carebears rejoice on pve servers. Tell the guys looking for open world pvp
    to come to my server and try and grief there!

Sounds like you guys are on the right path.
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Cool stuff, good to see the testing is providing useful feedback on stuff like this.

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

For PvE content: We'll be implementing some changes to PvE quest areas to lower the likelihood of griefing via blocking the opposing side's PvE progression.

• Wardstones in Quest Camps aren't supposed to be attackable targets, or provide rewards for defeating them. The rewards on those were a bug that's been addressed. Those are part of the PvE land control game of rifts and invasions.

• Guard AI behavior was a little less smart than it should have been. We're improving it such that guards behave much more like an NPC bearing that name would be expected to.

• Guards in PvE areas will prove to be considerably more challenging vs. player targets. They still provide a similar challenge to PvE invasions, but now will be much harder in PvP. We'll be tuning this over time. Expect to see some first balance out during the next beta.

• The Porticulum Masters in particular have enlisted the help of the Portal Defense Force. When they're attacked in PvP, you can expect them to put out a call for help over the planar Porticulum network.
    Zann ok, I take it back. When you speak it gets me happy! =D

Looking so forward to the changes and love them! Seems to be so much better.

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

nice ok good to see someone is listenting at least,

But why not let pve be pve and pvp be pvp? Why force PVE players to PVP?
    Have you ever wanted to?

It's great to see a game company respond to the requests of a significant number of the player base.

It's also important that sometimes, the game company just say no and explain why no is the proper answer for the good of the game. If EVERY player petition is given in too, it won't take long before the game will be unrecognizable.
    Mac

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast