+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Flying Mounts

Default Flying Mounts

If flying mounts were to come to Telara, would you be for or against it and why? What mounts would you like to see?

I think it would be great - there won't be much involved in terms of implementation and making it work.

I think they have been acclimating us to the idea over the last couple of years with mounts such as the Arclight Riders, Lifters and Levitates.

I don't think there will be any design issues with regards to implementation - if levitating and flying around on bikes and discs doesn't break immersion, it's highly unlikely that other flying mounts would.

Also, we have floating whales.

I think given the diversity of animals in the game, it will be really interesting to see what flying mounts they come up with as well (Flying Kanga-bunny-squirrel-corn anyone?)
    "When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted; when to breathe the air is sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you canít eat money."

Soulwalker

From the very start they've been saying there will be no flying mounts, and players keep bringing it up. Someone asked yet again in the last live stream, and the response was again, there will be no flying mounts, and as long as the same people are working on the game, they are opposed to it and it won't happen.

Like we can't get around in this game fast enough?

Mounts (in all their variants) up to 155% speed, porticuli, the various insignia (Tempest, Stillmoor, IPP, Shimmersand), Friend to All, Planeswalker Call, rift summons, guild summons, Ascended teleporting...

Flying mounts just allows you to bypass the content even faster.

At BEST, if we ever made it to the Plane of Air, THERE I would maybe want to see limited flight, a la Aion and how it works in certain places like the Abyss or in the cities. But regular flight? No.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Ascendant

If there were specific areas in the game (hypothetically like the above Plane of Air) that were designed right from the ground up for flying then yeah, sure, but only for those areas. But just allowing flight for the existing areas in the game? No. No way.
    Last edited by Kedon; 03-28-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Imo flying mounts would be a mistake. They dont open up avenues for content, they restrict it. I am certainly glad there will never be flying mounts in Rift.

I did enjoy flying mounts in another game, not as a way to bypass the content but as a cool feature you could earn or buy at certain point.
    But I don't want to see flying mounts in Rift for many reasons.

As something that could satisfy some people, perhaps an item with a limited time of flying/gliding, with a CD, as an achievement reward of some sort, might be okay-ish. Not a mount but something you could use to fly around a small area - won't be an advantage in any content, but might be a nice new thing to work for. I'd love to have, say, wings in a cape slot that would allow me to actually fly :D Disabled in instances, of course. Just a thought.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360į <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Only for patrons...

Just joking. But then again...

There are a number of aspects to the game which would be trivialised. Artifacts in high places, some achieves like Drop in on Draumheim and other high point-related ones, and skipping intended content. That's off the top of my head...

I liked flying mounts in Vanguard and that game which cannot be named, perhaps a compromise like the gliders in ArchAge would work?
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

This Thread is a few days too early, April the 1st isn't until Friday

We already had "flying" mounts in Rift, the Selenopid spider from the jungles of Peru has made it's way to Telara, keep looking up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXGjpBo7i2g

Rift Disciple

Against it of course.
    One must be quite blind if the reasons must be explained!
    Last edited by Maelya; 03-28-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Ascendant

Against it, because it did not work in that other game. The first time I could fly around was pretty damned cool, of course. But after a while it became obvious how it separated you from the game world as you could simply bypass anything on the ground.

Though I would love to have a way to get by those dreaded level 10 goblins in silverwood that dismount my level 65 char as soon as I enter the zone... (maybe slight exaggeration here).

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Narielia View Post
    If flying mounts were to come to Telara, would you be for or against it and why? What mounts would you like to see?

I think it would be great - there won't be much involved in terms of implementation and making it work.

I think they have been acclimating us to the idea over the last couple of years with mounts such as the Arclight Riders, Lifters and Levitates.

I don't think there will be any design issues with regards to implementation - if levitating and flying around on bikes and discs doesn't break immersion, it's highly unlikely that other flying mounts would.

Also, we have floating whales.

I think given the diversity of animals in the game, it will be really interesting to see what flying mounts they come up with as well (Flying Kanga-bunny-squirrel-corn anyone?)
    i r8 0/8 m8

I don't understand... I've had Flying Mount and Flying Mount for ages now.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    I don't understand... I've had Flying Mount and Flying Mount for ages now.
    Feel free to post a video where you use one of those to fly a few circles around Tempest Bays highest tower.

Hint: if it looks like a flying mount, and the description says "flying mount"... it might still not be a flying mount

Prophet of Telara

Trion always said there wouldn't be flying mounts in the general game.

But as we've all seen "Plans change". So, who knows what'll get added to a lockbox soon...

Plane of Air makes sense for flight and would like to see it there. The existing content however? No.
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast