+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Flying Mounts

Flying mounts would be a bad idea. The biggest and probably most practical problem is that every zone in the game would need to be revisited and reworked, which is a major undertaking for something that would hurt the game. Not to mention that zones that can be flown in would need even loner development time than what they currently take.

On top of that players would be able to bypass open world content, we'd end up seeing things like rift and world events totally ignored and start to be irrelevant outside of a weekly quest.

The other thing too is once you commit to open world flying, you're stuck with it for the life of the game. The funny thing is Blizzard has tried to go back on their open world flying for the last two expansions and their newest one they're still trying to push players away from it because it invalidates so much content. Problem is that the community backlash was intense, also mostly stupid, but still was far too much. They ended up still putting flying behind a big meta achievement and there was still a lot of criticism for it, but things cooled down a bit. You can't go back on something like that.

Not to mention Rift has a better travel system in place. Port somewhere, mount up for 30 seconds and you're there without missing the entire zone.

People keep saying that Rift is dying, flying mounts would be a very big nail in that coffin.

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

I'm against it like many others. People have stated good reasons as to why, but I think the biggest reason is that a lot of hard work goes into designing the environments in game and flying over all of it takes away from all of that. Blizzard gave their playerbase flying mounts when burning crusader hit and it was amazing, but they got carried away with it to the point where every attempt they've tried to make ti limit flying in new zones is met with a huge backlash and they end up having to put it back in. They realized their mistake, but the damage has been done already.

It's been stated many times over the years that IF Trion were to ever put any kind of "flying" mount in game it would just be adding gliding to current mounts. Maybe all of the lifters, levitates and riders are prelude to this idea. Really huge maybe though

Soulwalker

why bother you would only be able to buy with credits which a lot of ppl carnt afford to buy , and i'm more pissed that the packs have been updated and for them who already payed for these miss out on the other stuff as we can not buy them again we should get the extras in mail

Soulwalker

So basically the argument made is to force content onto other people, not just be content with your own experiences. Rift is game wise, an amazing game, but I really never could go back to it, as even though I may be able to get over the flying thing, there would be no one to play with, as none of them want to play without flying. Not fast travel, not fast land mounts. Flying.

They could go a different route and make flying enabled servers and non-flying servers, like you separate PvP and PvE, RP. I would play in a heart beat, so would most I know.

Oh for Crucia's sake

Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360 <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Chaos View Post
    So basically the argument made is to force content onto other people, not just be content with your own experiences. Rift is game wise, an amazing game, but I really never could go back to it, as even though I may be able to get over the flying thing, there would be no one to play with, as none of them want to play without flying. Not fast travel, not fast land mounts. Flying.

They could go a different route and make flying enabled servers and non-flying servers, like you separate PvP and PvE, RP. I would play in a heart beat, so would most I know.
    Blizzard has admitted repeatedly that Flying mounts were their biggest regret. Hence why you now have to do a lengthy questline to unlock the ability to fly at the start of a new expansion/zone. A lot of time, money and effort goes into building environments that most people never really see with the exception of killing mobs they need only to fly off again. There's also more effort, money and time that goes into rendering every piece of environment from an aerial so that it doesn't look like crap from above, looking down.

The quest line was also the middle ground as they had planned to take it away completely back in cata, but too many people were used to it as a standard from the burning crusade and cried hard enough until they reluctantly put it back in. I'm glad Rift has never put in flying and at most we would only ever see gliding / floating when jumping off of high places, but we haven't even seen that yet and it's fine.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Blizzard has admitted repeatedly that Flying mounts were their biggest regret. Hence why you now have to do a lengthy questline to unlock the ability to fly at the start of a new expansion/zone. A lot of time, money and effort goes into building environments that most people never really see with the exception of killing mobs they need only to fly off again. There's also more effort, money and time that goes into rendering every piece of environment from an aerial so that it doesn't look like crap from above, looking down.

The quest line was also the middle ground as they had planned to take it away completely back in cata, but too many people were used to it as a standard from the burning crusade and cried hard enough until they reluctantly put it back in. I'm glad Rift has never put in flying and at most we would only ever see gliding / floating when jumping off of high places, but we haven't even seen that yet and it's fine.
    Flying mounts are only a good idea in a game initially designed around flying mounts (among other things). In any other game, it'll ruin more than it'll improve.

But it's pointless to explain since people who want flying mounts usually don't give a flying duck about what it would mean for the whole game.
    RIFT360 <3

Soulwalker

Then like I said, you can have your original servers, with no change and we could have one (which you can't transfer away from), where you actually can fly. Win-Win.

... and how are you going to pay for those extra servers and the extra client/server software, they have to develop first as allready explained above?

Now giving some mounts the ability to glide might be an realistic possibility, even the mount animation for that could probably be done pretty easy.
    And it would open Rift for new kinds of mounts, like Kites for example...

For now you could just enjoy the illusion of flight in the Planes of Water areas.
    Last edited by Schneeball; 08-12-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    Rift, acend-a-friend code: E7DNGTZMQKXWGD77CC72
    Trove, refer-a-friend code: TJCQWZ3EK2MGYTEQHT9Q
    Devilian, refer-a-friend code: DGM2KGXD96RWMJWMC6HX
    and thank you.

Then like I said, you can have your original servers, with no change and we could have one (which you can't transfer away from), where you actually can fly. Win-Win.
    There's barely any reason left for a PvP server let alone one just for flying. It's not going to happen. Like I said before... the most we'll probably ever see is gliding. Maybe in the plane of air if we ever get there. Just accept it
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    There's barely any reason left for a PvP server let alone one just for flying. It's not going to happen. Like I said before... the most we'll probably ever see is gliding. Maybe in the plane of air if we ever get there. Just accept it
    Do you say "just accept it" to any other game ending issue for players? And Blizzard didn't see flying as a mistake, just an unfortunate limitation on content creativity, which having mounts at all does anyway. They've struck a nice balance now. I'd rather play Rift, than that other game, but as said, even if I could persuade myself, I would not be able to convince anyone else and it would be "forever alone" play.

Which is how I feel about the subject and as a player it is just as valid an observation as yours.

Ascendant

Do you say "just accept it" to any other game ending issue for players? And Blizzard didn't see flying as a mistake, just an unfortunate limitation on content creativity, which having mounts at all does anyway. They've struck a nice balance now. I'd rather play Rift, than that other game, but as said, even if I could persuade myself, I would not be able to convince anyone else and it would be "forever alone" play.

Which is how I feel about the subject and as a player it is just as valid an observation as yours.
    Seeing what happend when Trion implemented LFR (something that's also quite popular in other games), you would not want them to implement flying mounts. And if they should ever do it, you can be sure that you'ld have to pay for each wing flap with a magical grain (a new credit-only currency), or that the flying licence will be hidden behind multiple nested layers of RNG. Imagine the fun when you have to breed your own bird mount from random dropping magical eggs that have to be taken to level 15, with a 95% chance of breaking on each level up.

The closest thing to flying was in Nightmare Tide where you swam over the one zone. Maybe flying could be restricted to a certain zone. An air zone with a floating city, I'm sure rp'ers would love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    The closest thing to flying was in Nightmare Tide where you swam over the one zone. Maybe flying could be restricted to a certain zone. An air zone with a floating city, I'm sure rp'ers would love that.
    Needless to say, the ability to float over the whole zone and use the mount speed for fast travel was (and still is) used to bypass the mobs, invasions and rifts. Which is exactly why they can't do it for the whole game, it's easier to release a whole new Rift-2 with a whole new story and gameplay than rework the existing game into something that would work with flying.

In one game I used to play flying mounts were a thing pretty much since launch. You could click-to-move across large distances and go do your irl stuff while your toon is flying over the zone.They had to put mobs in the air to somehow counter it (obviously you could still skip those), and also work on content that includes flying (i.e. floating zones, quests and such). I love the concept but not in a game that was not made for it. Saying "oh just make a new server with flying" is basically admitting a person has zero understanding of how game development works in general and how little resources this game has to make something like that in particular.

In another game I'm currently playing, certain mounts have a gliding effect. It's more "obvious" than the gliding mounts we have, it's softer and gives you an illusion of floating above the ground while other mounts don't have that. This could actually be a very nice addition to the gliding mounts we have in Rift, just to make it feel more "natural", but it's certainly not a game breaking issue especially given the current state of the game lol.
    RIFT360 <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast